The Looking For Something Thread - Part II!

From @kreacher's Mikapedia

While they attended Westminster as teens Alex wrote a few articles in the school magazine, The Elizabethan, that mentioned young Mica Penniman.

Could anyone let me know those articles Alex Millar wrote. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Ax07 said:

For which fashion brands is the modelling, or just for Valentino due to his sponsorship?

I can come up with at the moment... :mikacool:

In 2007,

Mika for Paul Smith Campaign Spring / Summer 2007

https://www.thefashionisto.com/throwback-thursday-mika-paul-smith-campaign/

mika-paul-smith-photo-e1397147753428.thumb.jpg.95b3d5147f63929bc90ba041652c7468.jpg

and

in 2009

VIDEO

Photo-session by Paul Smith for L'Express

https://www.lexpress.fr/styles/diapo-photo/styles/vip/mika-devant-l-objectif-de-paul-smith_789624.html

mika-by-paul-smith-pour-lexpress-styles-1-2048.thumb.webp.0b76ec89d71d046cb859876f5ae0c763.webp

mika-by-paul-smith-pour-lexpress-styles-2-2048.thumb.webp.cb95f647c52f3aad4ebc25f80e8398eb.webp

mika-by-paul-smith-pour-lexpress-styles-3-2048.thumb.webp.90898db92aa10f9b09231c1b1fb580cf.webp

mika-by-paul-smith-pour-lexpress-styles-4-2048.thumb.webp.f4d54ee78ffb05623c8ccd035cfb707a.webp

mika-by-paul-smith-pour-lexpress-styles-5-2048.thumb.webp.6b9080b94c438c397ef8b13d3ea5e3bb.webp

Mika did many collaborations.... can't remember all of them. 

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3

@Ax07

A collaboration with Franklin & Marshall

The origin of love by Mika

presentation of the new Mika’s album called 'The Origin of Love.' - Album Launch Party - powered by Franklin & Marshall - Milan, 21/09/2012

Mika wearing F & M and sets on fire it !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I know it was posted recently but now I just can't find anywhere the new promo pictures of Mika, where were these posted?

I mean the pictures of him in a white suit with the big flower, lying on the ground, barefoot ... :lol3: Where are they?? :doh:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tori13 said:

I know it was posted recently but now I just can't find anywhere the new promo pictures of Mika, where were these posted?

I mean the pictures of him in a white suit with the big flower, lying on the ground, barefoot ... :lol3: Where are they?? :doh:

https://yougakumap.com/wp-content/uploads/mika-cest-la-vie-mv-1.jpg

1000 x 1249

mika-cest-la-vie-mv-1.thumb.jpg.7e7eff2b9b935f733df9af88b8a2e629.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwwr9tlPxfP/

3842x6830

374172939_6475076859273438_4171070601962421683_n.thumb.jpg.c995c1b468a0ef62dcd325cbe63e1a53.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 4:39 PM, Kumazzz said:

From @kreacher's Mikapedia

While they attended Westminster as teens Alex wrote a few articles in the school magazine, The Elizabethan, that mentioned young Mica Penniman.

Could anyone let me know those articles Alex Millar wrote. Thank you.

Sorry this reply is months late! i thought I'd saved these all somewhere, but i guess i didn't, so i dug them up from here... 

These aren't the only mentions of Mica in the magazine, but these are the ones Alex wrote.

The Elizabethan 2001 (westminster.org.uk)

Music

Another big year for the musical life of the School. Alex Millar gives us an overview of what the year held

This year has surpassed previous years in the standard of performance and the sheer number of concerts. As usual there were numerous House concerts of extremely high standard, along with the annual concerts: Contemporary Music, Choral and Orchestral and School Concert in St. John Smith's Square. Additionally we were treated to several performances by visiting professionals such as the pianist Joanna Macgregor, whose energetic piano playing was both a show and a performance and the German baritone Stephan Loges. In addition to this immense amount of music-making, this year saw the introduction of a new concert - the Soloist Concert, which took place in January, where some of the best musicians in the school were able to shine. At the concert, the number of viola players was surprising, and the performance from an Under School boy was especially memorable.

This year the orchestra has surpassed itself on numerous occasions, principally in my opinion the performance of Vaughan Williams' Pastoral Symphony in St. John's, Smith Square, which was a wonderful task to be involved in. The performance in conjunction with the choir of Francis Grier's Around the Curve of the World was another great success. One of the best aspects of music at Westminster is the orchestra, where challenging music is performed to high standard, and in which many friendships can be formed, and I'm sure that this year's new experimental orchestral tour in Italy should prove to be very rewarding.

The high standard of music at Westminster is very much due to the efforts of students, who in their spare time engage in performances and concerts. To do this at the same time as coping with the many academic demands placed on them is an achievement which is not nearly praised enough as shown by the many Thursday lunchtime concerts - there are always opportunities to perform.

This year some of the best musicians that Westminster has had in recent times will be leaving. Their farewell to the school came in the form of one of the best Concerto Concerts that I have ever witnessed. People such as Edward Corn, Annabel Legge and Bernard Freudenthal have been so influential in the music at the school that their departure is going to leave a large void. Saying this, there is so much new talent in lower years that undoubtedly the void will soon be filled.

I would like to thank the following people who have helped to write the music section: Mica Penniman, Alexander Bradford, Sarah Pett, Francis Murphy, Mark Jolly and Charles Corn, as well as those who have been kind enough to write the reviews, especially members of staff.

The Jazz Concert
Up School
December 2000

The Jazz Concert was a perfect opportunity for the school's jazz musicians to show their talents, which most school concerts don't allow them to do. The entire evening was a great success, comprising some excellent ensemble items and superb solo performances. The Big Band, who got the evening started with three traditional pieces, caught the attention of the audience and electrified the mood. The other two ensembles - The Basement group and The Missing Link - were extremely impressive and most enjoyable to listen to.

It was quite evident that much effort had gone into these groups, and it was easy to see that all were enjoying themselves. Special mention should be given to Anthony Cardona (Jazz Flute), Nathan Korda (Clarinet and Bass Clarinet), Charles Corn (Trombone), and Tom Wroe (Alto Saxophone) each displaying great virtuosity and musicality.

The highlights of the evening for me had to be the two singers, and Tom Nishiwaki's piece Oriental Blues. Naomi Curtis was simply amazing; the clarity of her voice was captivating and a joy to listen to, bringing new life to 'Can't help lovin' that man' for all the audience. Mica Penniman's performance was confident, enjoyable and extremely impressive. He took control of the whole audience with the charisma that shone through his renditions of 'Love me or leave me and Lullaby of Birdland'.

The speed and agility of Tom Nishiwaki's piano playing was unbelievable, moving over the keys with such speed and yet so effortlessly. Oriental Blues, his own composition also allowed Al Moylan to show off his technical proficiency on the Double Bass, with some magical playing making the audience lean forward on their seats to watch as he slid along one of the strings. This concert showed everyone that there was yet another side to music at the school.

Alexander Millar

Carol Concert
Abbey
December 2000

The Carol Concert is always a difficult event to pull off musically, due to the size of the Abbey. However, as usual, the music performed was still up to the high standard that we have come to expect at such events. Before the service the audience was treated to the first movement from Brandenburg Concerto no. 4, where the solo violin and recorders mastered the complexity of their parts superbly. The music of the service, as always, was performed to a high standard by the combined voices of the School Choir and the Parents' Choir. Apart from the traditional congregational hymns, the choir performed several pieces alone. The more ambitious of these pieces was the Magnificat by César Cui. Sarah Pett rose to the challenge made on the soprano soloist, and the result was successful with the solemn and spiritual sound of the piece attained. The Berlioz carol The Shepherds' Farewell with additional instrumentation arranged by Dr. Savaskan, and the Sans Day Carol showed how good the School Choir really is, with some wonderful singing which highlighted the delicacy of Berlioz. Special mention should be given to Lawrence Keegan-Fischer, Alexander Bradford and Mica Penniman, the soloists in the traditional carols, each of whom sang marvelously. The Henry VII Choir, the chamber choir, made two contributions to the service, and their performance of Jesus Christ the Apple Tree in particular was delivered with great musicality. Just as last year Annabel Legge had her carol performed, Alexander Campkin's Good Christian Men Rejoice brought to this year's congregation an impressive setting of traditional Christmas words. Peter Sells, a parent, composed his own Christmas anthem Christ's Nativity. The School Choir worked hard to perform successfully this extremely demanding and complex challenge. The music of the service worked extremely well with the traditional readings, and together made the evening a thoroughly enjoyable one.

Alexander Millar

"Mica Penniman's performance was confident, enjoyable and extremely impressive. He took control of the whole audience with the charisma that shone through" :fangurl:

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KAMI_83 said:

Whose voice is the woman who sings with Mika in their song "popular song"?and no, I'm not referring to Ariana Grande's voice 

The female singer is Priscilla Renea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hace 3 horas, Kumazzz dijo:

La cantante femenina es Priscilla Renea.

Thank you, for a moment I thought it was Mika's sister, Priscilla's name seems familiar but I don't remember it very clearly, (sorry, my English is not that good)? 

Edited by KAMI_83
I confused words ಠಿ_ಠ ಥ‿ಥ
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello lovely people, I am looking for a clip of Mika and I think Jo Whiley, where Mika is at Jo's house and is just kind of wandering around there while being followed by a camera. At one point he even goes into her bedroom and finds something under her bed which he's not supposed to see, if you know what I mean 😭. I'm fairly sure it was with Jo Whiley but it may have been with another person as well, cause I can't find anything about it on Youtube nor here and I'm starting to worry that I hallucinated the whole scene lmao. 

I'd be grateful for any help in finding this clip, before I go mad lmao. I feel like I can play it in front of my eyes and wanted to show it to a couple friends, but now I'm really doubting my sanity 😅😂

Edited by Jaela

10 minutes ago, Jaela said:

Hello lovely people, I am looking for a clip of Mika and I think Jo Whiley, where Mika is at Jo's house and is just kind of wandering around there while being followed by a camera. At one point he even goes into her bedroom and finds something under her bed which he's not supposed to see, if you know what I mean 😭. I'm fairly sure it was with Jo Whiley but it may have been with another person as well, cause I can't find anything about it on Youtube nor here and I'm starting to worry that I hallucinated the whole scene lmao. 

I'd be grateful for any help in finding this clip, before I go mad lmao. I feel like I can play it in front of my eyes and wanted to show it to a couple friends, but now I'm really doubting my sanity 😅😂

This is it!

Mika with Jo Whiley for the Live Lounge Tour 🙂

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

This is it!

Thank you! I forgot he also showed it to the child hahaha gosh he's unhinged 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

This is it!

Am I imagining it, or are those cartoon mushrooms on his T-shirt? 

Even back then mushrooms were a thing for him! 

Screenshot_20240203-1704262.thumb.png.a0acf3755ef4796f9f08ff5acc4c74cd.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hero said:

Am I imagining it, or are those cartoon mushrooms on his T-shirt? 

Even back then mushrooms were a thing for him! 

Screenshot_20240203-1704262.thumb.png.a0acf3755ef4796f9f08ff5acc4c74cd.png

Looks a bit like Toad from the Super Mario games! :lol3:

• Haha 1

I am looking for something and the info I have to go on is a little vague so I apologise if it's not enough to go on! 😅

I came across a magazine around 2 years ago now (it was on ebay so I suspect the magazine is older) that featured Mika, I think it was an Italian magazine. It came with a CD and I can't remember if the either the magazine was called Speak Up or if that was the name of the CD it came with.

That's all the information I have!

I'd love to know what was in the magazine about Mika and also if Mika was featured on that CD. Hoping someone here actually has it and is able to tell me!

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I am looking for something and the info I have to go on is a little vague so I apologise if it's not enough to go on! 😅

I came across a magazine around 2 years ago now (it was on ebay so I suspect the magazine is older) that featured Mika, I think it was an Italian magazine. It came with a CD and I can't remember if the either the magazine was called Speak Up or if that was the name of the CD it came with.

That's all the information I have!

I'd love to know what was in the magazine about Mika and also if Mika was featured on that CD. Hoping someone here actually has it and is able to tell me!

Thanks! :)

Do you mean this issue?

I haven't got my copy, so I can't tell any details.

:sorry:

• Like 1