Mika at NRJ Music Awards 2012 - 28/1/2012

Miro

i remember when WAG came out, i tried and tried to get an english radio station to play it. i had spoken a few times with one of the DJs who liked Mika & she said to me "i'd love to play it, but the demand isn't there" ... so someone else was choosing the songs, not her. in 2007, that same english radio station had played songs from LICM. They also had interviews on air with Mika... One was over the phone i believe.

Also in 2009, there was 1 hour where you could ask for requests... i asked for WAG & i got GK instead :naughty:

WAG peaked at 22 in the charts I believe, while Relax with not that much promotion was number 1 for weeks. Still, his gigs sell out within 1 to 3 days here.

Have you considered it was because of the difference in the quality of the songs? No amount of promotion can help a song that is somehow not liked or understood. Radio stations won't play music that does not please their target audience as with the listeners leaving they are losing advertising revenue.

I think if the first single doesn't get picked up by stations the best solution for a record company is to release the second single as soon as possible to save the album. As far as I remember, Adam Lambert was in a similar situation with the first single (FYE) of his first album not really having the reception they wanted, so they released the second single (WWFM) soon after. I am not sure if it was a sudden change of plan of originally part of the strategy but it most definitely needed record company backing.

PS: what I meant to say is that I don't think that with a song like Underwater, for example, he'd have any problem getting radio airplay. That was received extremely well on MFC, which is a good sign..

Edited by suzie

Have you considered it was because of the difference in the quality of the songs? No amount of promotion can help a song that is somehow not liked or understood. Radio stations won't play music that does not please their target audience as with the listeners leaving they are losing advertising revenue.

I think if the first single doesn't get picked up by stations the best solution for a record company is to release the second single as soon as possible to save the album. As far as I remember, Adam Lambert was in a similar situation with the first single (FYE) of his first album not really having the reception they wanted, so they released the second single (WWFM) soon after. I am not sure if it was a sudden change of plan of originally part of the strategy but it most definitely needed record company backing.

Well, trust me, they play a lot of bad music on radio stations here. I guess it also depends on the artist. Mika was quite MIA back then just like he is now. If Lady Gaga puts something out, even if the song is ****e (for example, born this way is not that fantastic) it gets played regardless of the quality of the song.

Well I think what she mentions is what is going to work/not piss people off. Clicking on the links that are there for the purposes of requesting or voting for songs. And not, for instance, emailing individual DJs and harassing them about Mika.

This seemed to be effective in getting some airplay in Montreal because EMD had not even been released in Canada and even a couple of months ago Mika had no idea it was being played on radio here. I don't know how much Universal could have been behind it getting into the top 7 at 7 lists when it wasn't even released here.

But what if you don't get that option?

Radio 1 have their playlist, which is already chosen, how can you get a song you want played if it's not on there?

They don't have links for requesting songs, just contact emails for DJs, and one for enquiries, which is what we used last time, which caused the whole furore about being spammed.

But what if you don't get that option?

Radio 1 have their playlist, which is already chosen, how can you get a song you want played if it's not on there?

They don't have links for requesting songs, just contact emails for DJs, and one for enquiries, which is what we used last time, which caused the whole furore about being spammed.

If they don't appreciate such requests via mail, then we shouldn't use it. It does more damage than good.

If they don't appreciate such requests via mail, then we shouldn't use it. It does more damage than good.

But what else can we do? It's the only way we have to contact Radio 1 DJs.

:dunno:

Well, trust me, they play a lot of bad music on radio stations here. I guess it also depends on the artist.

Yes, I am aware of that but it is a matter of taste and even though I may hate a song, I can totally see why people love it. Similarly, I like Mika and consider WAG as an ok song but I can still understand why it did not work for him.

For an already known artist an outstanding song rarely fails but success with an ok song and unclear / inconsistent messages is hardly guaranteed.

I agree with you about Gaga. Songs on her first album were more unique, now she can basically revamp any song from the 80s and sell it as her own with everyone buying it. She worked hard on her image though and she will never have a problem having airplay, similarly to Madonna, whose name also sells anything.

I think Mika's label and Universal were very much behind Mika when We Are Golden was released but it still didn't get enough airplay. There was someone - I think at Universal in the US - who was salivating at the idea that Mika was selling millions of copies of LICM in Europe and he could get a piece of the action in the states when TBWKTM was released.

Mika specifically asked fans to contact the radio stations when WAG didn't take off. I think he was surprised that Capital Radio, for instance would not play him because they were huge supporters in 2007 (that's how I discovered Mika myself).

I have been thinking about this for a few months. Maybe it's time to start coordinating efforts? The last time it seemed fans were trying to start a campaign after the horse had left the barn if you know what I mean. The first single from the album needs to get on the radio.

[YOUTUBE]ekPQnzO4vFY[/YOUTUBE]

...go to the people who are most engaged on your websites, the people who really crave your interaction. These people will work for you and all you need to do is to give them attention... a little bit of love:wub2:...and they are just dying to help you out. Look for your smartest, most engaged fans...make use of what you have out there, it's a free resource!

I think this is a brilliant idea, and in addition to that it's what I have been nagging about for years!:naughty:

Oh mostly agree on your point of view about KA... I thought, maybe it could be my awkward assumtion, I thought Mika was kinda betrayed by ppl around Kick ass. The Movie production ppl, especially ... :dunno: He wrote the song for movie but never played during the movie but after the ending credit. Seeing KA music video, Mika put quite loads of effort and expected more than that, but Movie production, UK&US Radio totally ignored that effort. It seems since then Mika started to focus on the France instead... :sad:

Exactly my point. I think that's what caused him to turn to France. I obviously can't say for sure, but he did try so hard with KA and he did say somewhere, that he wanted everyone to get behind the song (or words to that effect) but another sad thing was that when KA was released onto DVD, I thought the music video would have been on the bonus features so ppl could see Mika singing it, but it wasn't included.

In my honest opinion, Mika was badly let down by whoever was responsible for the movie franchise and the radio stations

PS: what I meant to say is that I don't think that with a song like Underwater, for example, he'd have any problem getting radio airplay. That was received extremely well on MFC, which is a good sign..

I think Underwater would make a beautiful single. It would also show Mika in a more romantic light (as he is really hot)

But I think, after WAG, the record company made the wrong choice of singles. I don't think BIOTG and Rain were the strongest songs on the album. I wished he had released Good Gone Girl and Touches You. I know that most people I spoke to, who wern't Mika fans, didn't like BIOTG at all, but they thought GGG had a great tune and would have made a great dance single.

Anyway: I agree we need some strategy to try and get Mika more radio-play with the first TOOL single. I am willing to do my part.

more from me about the performance ;-)

He's got more "heaviness" inside ...like he feels more "worthy" inside-for himself, for me he was always worth all the money in the world

he looked very charismatic, very self confident and comfortable on stage.

now I think he looks very good in black from head to toes :)

(and of course I love this oriental things around his hips...:)

Edited by Melisanda

I used WAG as an example, but i also tried with Rain & the english radio station wouldn't play it either. But the french radio station did ... alot.

The listeners are all from the same city/area. The french & english radio stations play just about the same music... except for Mika & local french singers are added to the french station.

I just think they didn't give it a chance, but what do i know? :dunno:

Thanks very much to all of you for your work, pics, vids, links, etc.. :flowers2:

I haven't seen the live show last Saturday but thanks to you all, I was able to catch it up in few minutes today

You're definitively a great team! :thumb_yello:

Very happy also that Mika has won an award :wub2:

Probably not the best performance (damned playback! :sneaky2:) neither the best outfit (how do you call that thing.. a doormat???? :aah:) but he deserved it anyway!

I hope this will bring him luck for 2012 :wub2:

It looks like in the UK, as soon as you had a little bit of a failure in your career, or something that didn't go very well, you can easily be forgotten and/or laughed at. It's the feeling I had about musicians when I lived there.. I felt that all the nation could get overexcited about something new but at the same time throw them in the bin when the excitement had gone..

same here in hong kong :blink:

and i remembered a Universal Hong Kong staff told us Mika got lots of promotion and supports here when he was still fresh and just kicked off his career with LICM. She said it's already become difficult for the 2nd time he came here (the time when he had his first public gig in hk).

promotion and relevant events/contests are not well-known by people here, imo their promotion are quite inefficient... there was a 'contest' of the first 10 ppl who email the organiser will get a chance to the M&G after the gig. the contest was announced the day before i recognised it (and shame, i wouldnt hv known this if it wasnt a foreign MFCer posting it), then few of us emailed the organiser and still won the contest. you can imagine how the promotion for Mika is like here after the first time he came...

and the most recent time is even worse imo... i kinda feel the promotion is partly relying on the Tofu thing :dunno:

The wrong side of the consumer society...

One gets tired very quickly of everything, even singers... People need novelty all the time

Honestly, who will remember LMFAO next year? :dunno:

That's why I'm always torn between the desire to see Mika succeed commercially in the charts and the fear to see him get lost in a "too fashionable" music :freak:

How's this for fangurling?

41914887.png

This needs a caption! :aah:

:roftl:

Actually it reminds me some paintings of the optical artist Victor Vasarely

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1009742l1013097l0l1014767l11l10l0l1l1l1l328l1825l0.4.4.1l9l0&q=victor%20vasarely%20cubes&ct=broad-revision&cd=5&ie=UTF-8&sa=X

The wrong side of the consumer society...

One gets tired very quickly of everything, even singers... People need novelty all the time

Honestly, who will remember LMFAO next year? :dunno:

That's why I'm always torn between the desire to see Mika succeed commercially in the charts and the fear to see him get lost in a "too fashionable" music

My thoughts. I'm happy when I hear him on the radio (Relax, and very rare), but when I imagine hearing him next to all those rubbish at stations with fashionable music... Brrrr.

Anyway, All the last year I tried to promote Mika in several radiostations, to which I have an access (they communicate a bit with listeners. And there are some stations which maintain to feedback at all). And in vain. All my letters and messages were ignored, even to the programs where you have to leave an order for a song to listen.

According to my researches, people do post Mika's songs and vids in Russian-speaking social sites and blogs, sometimes even rare things - so they know him. So why radios go on ignoring him that much - I don't know.

Edited by Dreamy_Queen