Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

thank you Eriko for recording and posting the interview :flowers2:

Loved the interview ! It was funny sometimes ! :D:aah::aah:

It was really funny when he explained how to take the cup of coffee from the hotel!

That's because the interviewers talked more than he did. And even when he did talk, they did too. At the same time. :mikacool:

Ah, so maybe I didn't miss all that much after all. :naughty: It's difficult for me to understand French even if only one person is talking, let alone several people at the same time!

This song doesn't have the instant appeal Make You Happy has for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I think right now over here he needs that grab you right away song to get peoples attention again. Like Rachel said in an earlier post, it would be a great song for the opening ceremony for the Olympics, if he pushes it over here in the next couple of weeks. I think Pharrell has been completely underused, it's like he might as well not be on the track at all.

I really hope it grows on me, I don't like not feeling a Mika song, I hope he has picked the right song to launch the new album, I would have gone with Make You Happy, but I guess he has a game plan we don't know about yet.

This song doesn't have the instant appeal Make You Happy has for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I think right now over here he needs that grab you right away song to get peoples attention again. Like Rachel said in an earlier post, it would be a great song for the opening ceremony for the Olympics, if he pushes it over here in the next couple of weeks. I think Pharrell has been completely underused, it's like he might as well not be on the track at all.

I really hope it grows on me, I don't like not feeling a Mika song, I hope he has picked the right song to launch the new album, I would have gone with Make You Happy, but I guess he has a game plan we don't know about yet.

Pharrell part is not big but I thought it sounds more Mika this way. Make You Happy is a better song (imo) but this one sounds more like a summer hit.

Pharrell part is not big but I thought it sounds more Mika this way.

Agree with you. There isnt a need to give Pharrell a bigger part. Maybe that would have made the track more commercial but the way it is, it sounds 100% Mika and I'm very happy about that:thumb_yello:

I totally agree. It's a nice enough song. If Katy Perry, Rihanna or Lady Gaga had sung it, it would probably get to #1 in the UK, because those artists are current and get played on the radio. But Mika doesn't.

I hoped he'd release a song with a whole new sound to catch the ears of the DJs who would play it.

I could be totally wrong and I really really hope I am, but I don't see this song doing it for him in the UK. Make You Happy would have, as it's so unique. Underwater would have, as it's beautiful, it's a bit like Happy Ending which still gets played over here in soundtracks and ads.

Like I say, I hope I'm proved wrong about Celebrate. We'll have to wait and see.

But if it's to stand a chance here, he needs to go onto radio stations and TV shows in the UK, to promote the song.

I totally agree. It's a nice enough song. If Katy Perry, Rihanna or Lady Gaga had sung it, it would probably get to #1 in the UK, because those artists are current and get played on the radio. But Mika doesn't.

I hoped he'd release a song with a whole new sound to catch the ears of the DJs who would play it.

I could be totally wrong and I really really hope I am, but I don't see this song doing it for him in the UK. Make You Happy would have, as it's so unique. Underwater would have, as it's beautiful, it's a bit like Happy Ending which still gets played over here in soundtracks and ads.

Like I say, I hope I'm proved wrong about Celebrate. We'll have to wait and see.

But if it's to stand a chance here, he needs to go onto radio stations and TV shows in the UK, to promote the song.

Lady Gaga hasn't had a number 1 hit in ages, so that doesn't say anything.

Agree about Pharrell. IMO he should have been more present in the song, or not there at all. I don't think the talky bit adds much.

I kind of feel the opposite to you about the appeal of the two songs. The appeal of Make You Happy for me is that it grew on me with every listen, which shows it has some depth to it. Celebrate is completely instantaneous and memorable, which is good (don't get me wrong) but it may be the kind of song people quickly tire of.

It must be so hard to decide the lead single from an album and I don't envy anyone that task. Fingers cossed they've chosen the right strategy.:thumb_yello:

can't believe it, but it actually happened! :aah: at first I didn't think much of this song - I can't say I didn't like it, but I wasn't thrilled either... now I started listening to it again and I realized it gives me that nice feeling I get in my stomach when I hear a song I like :wub2:

basically: the first part of the song is AWESOME, but after that other guy's part (I'm not into electronic music at all so I really don't know who he is) - it's not that awesome... :sneaky2:

Agree about Pharrell. IMO he should have been more present in the song, or not there at all. I don't think the talky bit adds much.

I kind of feel the opposite to you about the appeal of the two songs. The appeal of Make You Happy for me is that it grew on me with every listen, which shows it has some depth to it. Celebrate is completely instantaneous and memorable, which is good (don't get me wrong) but it may be the kind of song people quickly tire of.

It must be so hard to decide the lead single from an album and I don't envy anyone that task. Fingers cossed they've chosen the right strategy.:thumb_yello:

Yes I think that's what stops me absolutely loving it. It's great at the start, but the "celebrate" bit goes on a bit too long at the end.

However, I like it better since hearing it a few times, and I love the verse parts. But I don't think it showcases Mika's voice like Uw does.

But will it be enough to convince the DJs on Radio One to play it? This is the key point. Would they have prefered a beautiful (Uw) or unique (MYH) song, or would they prefer a catchy summer song with reference to the Olympics and celebrating?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I hope Mika has chosen the right song. I really really do.