Live Your Life - lyrics and discussion

to me it's not a song for a beer commercial, but a song that is *used* in a beer commercial, that's a difference. happy ending was used in the pantene commercial, and i don't like it less because of that. :dunno: the fact that mika himself appears in the beer commercial is a different topic, but it doesn't make me like the song any less. of course it's poppy... but tbh, i like it a lot better than celebrate. if they did as much promo for LYL as they have done for celebrate, i'm sure it'd be a hit, maybe even in countries like germany and the uk. i'm sure celebrate used to be a good song when it still was china boy - but in the production process it was pressed into this "this has to be a hit single" scheme, and with that it lost its specialness. whereas i think live your life was written for the way how it was produced, if you know what i mean. it's special in a different way than other mika songs with deeper lyrics, but it IS special in its own way - that's what i missed about celebrate.

:thumb_yello:

(a "like"-button would be very helpful sometimes :teehee:)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to me it's not a song for a beer commercial, but a song that is *used* in a beer commercial, that's a difference. happy ending was used in the pantene commercial, and i don't like it less because of that. :dunno: the fact that mika himself appears in the beer commercial is a different topic, but it doesn't make me like the song any less. of course it's poppy... but tbh, i like it a lot better than celebrate. if they did as much promo for LYL as they have done for celebrate, i'm sure it'd be a hit, maybe even in countries like germany and the uk. i'm sure celebrate used to be a good song when it still was china boy - but in the production process it was pressed into this "this has to be a hit single" scheme, and with that it lost its specialness. whereas i think live your life was written for the way how it was produced, if you know what i mean. it's special in a different way than other mika songs with deeper lyrics, but it IS special in its own way - that's what i missed about celebrate.

Absolutely. I wish people would separate the company aspect from the song. If all goes well, it will take on a life of its own outside of San Miguel. That's just a vessel to get it out there. It's not as though Mika wrote a song for a commercial that is actually about San Miguel or beer or something. That's where this would become a complete sell out move.

Writing something for a commercial has no less meaning than writing something for a movie. Kick Ass is a very popular movie and movie making is just as corporate, but I don't think we're going around calling that a terrible song.

at first i was a bit :blink: but after about 3 listens i got totally addicted to the live version of this song and so now i'm :fangurl:

Absolutely. I wish people would separate the company aspect from the song. If all goes well, it will take on a life of its own outside of San Miguel. That's just a vessel to get it out there. It's not as though Mika wrote a song for a commercial that is actually about San Miguel or beer or something. That's where this would become a complete sell out move.

Writing something for a commercial has no less meaning than writing something for a movie. Kick Ass is a very popular movie and movie making is just as corporate, but I don't think we're going around calling that a terrible song.

I'm curious to see if the single has the clinking & others singing like the advert does. i sure hope not. if i wanted to hear those other people singing i'd go buy their singles :sneaky2:

Edited by kreacher

at first i was a bit :blink: but after about 3 listens i got totally addicted to the live version of this song and so now i'm :fangurl:

I'm curious to see if the single has the clinking & others singing like the advert does. i sure hope not. if i wanted to hear those other people singing i'd go buy their singles :sneaky2:

I heard a version on some French site and it was Mika only singing:thumb_yello:

the french amazon had a full demo you could listen to... then they decided to remove it and say "release on june 4" :naughty:

Mika was the only singer ... it was really nice :wub2:

I heard a version on some French site and it was Mika only singing:thumb_yello:

the french amazon had a full demo you could listen to... then they decided to remove it and say "release on june 4" :naughty:

Mika was the only singer ... it was really nice :wub2:

oooh i missed this. thanks for the info :D

Years ago, before most of you were glints in your daddy's eyes, Coco-Cola used to have campaigns with songs in them.

The most famous one was 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing', and it got really really popular! It got to number one in the UK, sung by The New Seekers.

Another campaign produced another hit song. An advert for Butlins Holidays, spawned a hit song 'Step Into A Dream', by Mike Batt. So it's not unheard of for ads to promote songs. I think this is great for Mika.

Years ago, before most of you were glints in your daddy's eyes, Coco-Cola used to have campaigns with songs in them.

The most famous one was 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing', and it got really really popular! It got to number one in the UK, sung by The New Seekers.

Another campaign produced another hit song. An advert for Butlins Holidays, spawned a hit song 'Step Into A Dream', by Mike Batt. So it's not unheard of for ads to promote songs. I think this is great for Mika.

Now and then being "old" has it's charm :naughty: I do remember this hit by the New Seekers :fisch: And when MIKA got involved with the Lozza sunglasses,, I was quite shocked how good adv. can get stucked in our brains - nearly forever - because the first thing then coming to my mind was an old adv. from the 70ies, for the sunglasses Foster Grant, which was : "Isn't that you, isn't that you - behind those Foster Grant?!" :aah:

So MIKA - your skill, beauty and charm will surely be remembered by LOTS OF people - because of these adv. you're now involved in :wub2: The most important thing is that you are very critical to which products you choose to front :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

Thought it was time to have a thread about Live Your Life. :biggrin2: I love the song. :wub2: When I first heard it, i thought Mika sings about his own life as a pop star ("Anywhere you are is just like home to you"... etc.), but seems he's talking to another "you". :dunno:

Mika's first live performance of the song at Mawazine Festival:

[YOUTUBE]Ufg64V72F5g[/YOUTUBE]

San Miguel beer ad video clip:

[YOUTUBE]zFD7aU1_vb0[/YOUTUBE]

And thanks Deb for the lyrics:

You've got the whole world in your pocket

But you just don't know

Everybody's smilin' at you everywhere you go

It's like you've got that secret

Everybody else wants to know

Oh yeah

Anywhere you are is just like home to you

From the beaches in Manila

Down to Katmandu

Yeah you've got that secret

And you won't ever let it go oh

Everybody wanna hold your hand

Everybody wanna shine that bright

Everybody wanna say they can

Everybody wanna live your life

Everybody wanna talk like you

Only wanna do the things you do

'Cause they always gonna turn out right

We take a whole room full of strangers

And we make them friends

We do it all around the world

Just so it never ends

It don't matter where we're coming from or going to

You're the only one that ever turns a grey sky blue

And everybody needs a friend like you

SOMOS CIUDADANOS DEL MUNDO, ASÍ

YO SIEMPRE A TU LADO Y TÚ JUNTO A MÍ

EL MUNDO ESTÁ EN TUS MANOS, NO LO SABES YA

COMO UN DIAMANTE SIEMPRE BRILLARÁ

i believe you're all wrong, this isnt about Mika at all...

This is all about Tibet...

Just notice the lyrics...

Who does the most travelling around here???:fisch:

:naughty:

:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: you're right! :shocked:

this:

"Yeah you've got that secret

Everybody else wants to know"

- how do i manage to go to as many mika gigs as tiibet?! :naughty:

Hahah, you haven't met me in real life, Wonkita. I'm not a sunny, shining person... :aah::naughty:

Hahah, you haven't met me in real life, Wonkita. I'm not a sunny, shining person... :aah::naughty:

Aww, I wouldn't say that! I think you are! :)

In any case, I've had the song on repeat today and after I don't know how many more listenings :blush-anim-cl: I think we had the words wrong in the second part of the chorus. I've corrected them in red below. I think this is right now. :thumb_yello:

But you just don't know

It's like you've got that secret that

From the beaches of Manila

Down to Katmandu

Yeah you've got that secret that

But you won't ever let it go oh

'Cause they know it's gonna turn out right

And we make them friends

Just so it never ends

(And I just want to lodge my formal complaint here -- when you're referring to a person, it's WHO not THAT, as in, "you're the only one WHO ever turns a grey sky blue..." He does that all the time and it really annoys me. A lot of the other grammatical mistakes don't bother me as much. :teehee: Sorry, just a pet peeve from an old English major...)

Edited by dcdeb

In any case, I've had the song on repeat today and after I don't know how many more listenings :blush-anim-cl: I think we had the words wrong in the second part of the chorus. I've corrected them in red below. I think this is right now. :thumb_yello:

But you just don't know

Down to Katmandu

And we make them friends

Just so it never ends

(And I just want to lodge my formal complaint here -- when you're referring to a person, it's WHO not THAT, as in, "you're the only one WHO ever turns a grey sky blue..." He does that all the time and it really annoys me. A lot of the other grammatical mistakes don't bother me as much. :teehee: Sorry, just a pet peeve from an old English major...)

:shocked:

I am now picturing you as an old soldier with handlebar moustache :teehee:

I always get annoyed when songs (or actually anyone ever) use the phrase "I could care less." My lyrical pet peeve. If you COULD care less, then you actually do care some amount. The phrase is meant to be "I couldn't care less."

I can't quite remember if Mika has done this to me, but I swear most of my favorite artists do this at some point in their careers. :aah:

I always get annoyed when songs (or actually anyone ever) use the phrase "I could care less." My lyrical pet peeve. If you COULD care less, then you actually do care some amount. The phrase is meant to be "I couldn't care less."

I can't quite remember if Mika has done this to me, but I swear most of my favorite artists do this at some point in their careers. :aah:

No, pretty sure Mika hasn't committed this crime. Yet. :wink2:

But you just don't know

Down to Katmandu

And we make them friends

Just so it never ends

Thank you dear mama mod :huglove:

When I cover it I'll have the right lyrics :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I think that is ok :teehee: It's just a Mika thing light and informal :wub2:

But you just don't know

Down to Katmandu

And we make them friends

Just so it never ends

Mika's not actually English. I don't know for sure, but I think French was the language he was first exposed to. I know he went to some kind of French school.

Abba used to make errors in their songs too, because English wasn't their first language. "Since many years I haven't seen a rifle in your hands," in Fernando.

I don't mind what he writes and I'm good at English too. His lyrics have more meaning than most songs out there. I love the sentiment in LYL, it's such an uplifting song.

Mika's not actually English. I don't know for sure, but I think French was the language he was first exposed to. I know he went to some kind of French school.

Yes, Marilyn, I think I know Mika's history. :teehee: But he's been speaking English since he was 8 or so, and probably earlier than that since much of his family is American. :wink2:

Many native English speakers don't follow good grammar rules. I'm sure I make many mistakes myself every day. The language we use in casual, everyday conversation is much different than formal speech. But that's not the point -- This is just one particular mistake that jumps out at me and sounds wrong to my ear, that's all. I already said I loved the song, didn't I? I didn't say I hated Mika or that he was stupid or anything, geez. :naughty: