Mikasounds, Twitter and Facebook updates - Part 12

silver

IMO T.O.O.L is absolutely amazing! (Sorry for yelling it out here lol) I think what it really lacked was the promotion and success it deserved. Mika hasn't lost his song writing skills but that's why I'd prefer him to spend more time by himself and just brainstorm song ideas, but I do hope he'll do something fresh with some middle eastern influences like Deb mentioned. I loved that Relax remix.

I think each album has its strong and weak points. Stardust is a better song than Big Girl. The thing I like most about TOOL is that it is moving on a sincere level. I know people cry during Happy Ending and of course Mika's performances are quite literally breathtaking. I just stop everything during the last line hoping to catch an extra special moment. But it does feel like a performance, like a musical, rather than something from the heart. But when he sang Make You Happy at the acoustic gigs I got chills it was so real. And I wasn't even there! I could feel it just from a YouTube video.

Make You Happy in LA was one of his most amazing live performances ever. It definitely came from the heart. Agree with what you say about TOOL.

What I think is even more interesting about this news is that the guy who tweeted these photos identifies himself on Twitter as "Artist manager and concert promoter since 1992-Beirut and all Middle East- Star System . Beirut Holidays 2013 and many others." Interesting because Mika has said that he wanted to do something Middle Eastern/Arabic for a while now, particularly after he appeared on Coke Studio a few months back. Very curious as to what's in the works! :excite:

Thanks Deb, I missed this (didn't check his twitter account). Very interesting! :thumb_yello:

It looks like something to distract us) Like " C`mon people leave me alone, you see - i`m writing 4th album, ok?" :naughty:

I still have no idea how Mika can combine judging The Voice next year with studio work successfully ..... If he can, the album will probably appear not earlier than in 2016....

As I wrote in my Twitter - while Mika challenges XF and The Voice, music is missing him.

hahahahahahahha you are amazing! OF COURSE Origin IS something that I love....and it's good, and sincere....but we cannot deny reality! :doh:

anyway...let's see where he would take us next time. :blush-anim-cl:

One clue:he actually LOVE Miley's song :mf_rosetinted:

IMO T.O.O.L is absolutely amazing! (Sorry for yelling it out here lol) I think what it really lacked was the promotion and success it deserved.

Agree with you! I liked more TOOL than TBWKTM (even if there are some TBWKTM songs that I really love)

But something went wrong about TOOL promotion... not money enough? wrong choice of first single?

did he need to shut himself away in a castle to be helped in writing songs for LICM? No

and please don't forget Origin was kind of a failure album.

he seems to have lost something, imho.

oh well.

The fact that TOOL wasn't a commercial success had nothing to do with the fact that it wasn't a good album. I mean, so many albums sell more even though the quality is ****. It's all about who releases it.

I personally prefered TOOL over TBWKTM. I listened to the latter just the other day and even though it had good songs, it just seemed to be this copy of LICM and he didn't evolve. Does that mean that I adore every song on TOOL? Nope. Doesn't take away the fact that regardless of it not having an equal amount of success is not because of quality but because of lack of promotion. So many people had no clue there was an album out. It had rave reviews but many people don't read those reviews unless they happen to read the magazine it is in.

Agree with you! I liked more TOOL than TBWKTM (even if there are some TBWKTM songs that I really love)

But something went wrong about TOOL promotion... not money enough? wrong choice of first single?

The latter. If the first single fails, it's over. Stardust would have been a MUCH better first single.

Yes. Mika keeps saying that Americans are more open to melody, etc. but the thing is he's just not considered cool in the UK atm and no one will play his records because of it.

A good song is not a guarantee for success anymore. It's the name that sells. I will bet that if Adele would come out now with a mediocre song, it will do really well just because it's Adele and people love her.

However, it can also go the other way. Look at Lady Gaga. Of course we still have to see what her album will do, but the first single didn't do well considering how big she used to be. I think people are getting tired of the gimmicks, but Adele doesn't use any gimmicks so she will be able to reach the same level of success.

I think each album has its strong and weak points. Stardust is a better song than Big Girl. The thing I like most about TOOL is that it is moving on a sincere level. I know people cry during Happy Ending and of course Mika's performances are quite literally breathtaking. I just stop everything during the last line hoping to catch an extra special moment. But it does feel like a performance, like a musical, rather than something from the heart. But when he sang Make You Happy at the acoustic gigs I got chills it was so real. And I wasn't even there! I could feel it just from a YouTube video.

I totally agree with you... That Make You Happy performance is amazing and heartfell:thumb_yello:

I think people are getting tired of the gimmicks, but Adele doesn't use any gimmicks so she will be able to reach the same level of success.

I think even Adele will have a hard time topping herself. But that is not a new phenomenon. Even the greatest artists of all time have had periods of waxing and waning. But you're right, she won't have any trouble getting on the radio with a mediocre song atm. She doesn't need record company promotion. Just the fact that she is working on an album is mainstream media news.

I think even Adele will have a hard time topping herself. But that is not a new phenomenon. Even the greatest artists of all time have had periods of waxing and waning. But you're right, she won't have any trouble getting on the radio with a mediocre song atm. She doesn't need record company promotion. Just the fact that she is working on an album is mainstream media news.

It's not easy. But if I look at Katy, TD was a huge success. She still has to release the album and she is more of a single artist than an album artist, but Roar has already topped her own records, plus unofficial singles made it to number 1 as well, which meant she owned the 1st and 2nd spot in the Itunes charts. It will be even harder for her to top herself after this, but the same was said about the era going on now.

Also, look at Justin Timberlake. He just has to announce new music and he is number one. It all depends on the level of fame you're at.

Yes. Mika keeps saying that Americans are more open to melody, etc. but the thing is he's just not considered cool in the UK atm and no one will play his records because of it.

I think that's a big factor.

But I think a lot of the problem is that people simply didn't like TBWKTM. That got plenty of promotion, especially Rain- the Royal Variety Performance etc Most people I know heard it- and thought it boring and repetitive (they said exactly what much of MFC had after PDP, despite the changes). So they weren't interested in hearing much of TOOL.

Ahereas Relax took off (the first time) before they had a strategy ready (said Mika) because the first time people heard it, they liked it. If they'd had good responses to what they did play of TOOL, they'd have played more

:fish::purse::bash::chair:

Gee, we have a lot of violent smilies on MFC! I didn't realize! :naughty:

If it had been Stardust - Calvin Harris ft MIKA - it would have been #1 in the UK. :rolls_eyes:

Oh for sure. In the US as well. I was just thinking how it was a shame that Mika couldn't capitalize on his friendship (well, I mean, they are at least a little more than passing acquaintances) with Calvin and get him to remix something and release it now. Calvin has been topping the US charts with everyone from Rihanna to Florence to Ellie Goulding -- he really has the Midas touch right now. What's so funny about this is that when he first came on the scene I thought Calvin would eventually become sort of like a Timbaland or Mark Ronson type, more behind the scenes though. I had no idea he would be so big in the US, and I definitely didn't think he would eclipse Mika here. So funny how things evolved.

It all depends on the level of fame you're at.

It's so true. There's a saying, "Nothing succeeds like success." And that's how it is -- if you're already successful, and you release crap, it will still get airplay. (Maroon 5, Nickelback, Britney Spears... I'm looking at you. :wink2: ) Now, you may not be able to retain your following if you keep putting out crap, but in some cases these performers seem to be Teflon-coated. None of the crap sticks to them, and they stay on top indefinitely. Go figure :dunno:

Personally, though, I love Origin of Love. I think it showed real growth, and some of the songs are among my favorites of all time, not just favorite Mika songs. And live -- they are some of the most emotional, touching, evocative songs I've ever seen performed. I miss seeing them live, and have been watching a lot of youtube lately for that reason.

I really am anxiously awaiting more new music. I'll try to be patient. :wait:

Personally, though, I love Origin of Love. I think it showed real growth, and some of the songs are among my favorites of all time, not just favorite Mika songs. And live -- they are some of the most emotional, touching, evocative songs I've ever seen performed. I miss seeing them live, and have been watching a lot of youtube lately for that reason.

This is how I think too. And TOOL wasn't promoted or didn't sell as it deserved but it's a brilliant album :wub2: Definitely not a failure.

The latter. If the first single fails, it's over. Stardust would have been a MUCH better first single.

Yes, or even Love you when I'm drunk, imo....

I still think OOL is the best song in the album, but I'm not sure if it would be a good single, for the main audience...

Ahereas Relax took off (the first time) before they had a strategy ready (said Mika) because the first time people heard it, they liked it. If they'd had good responses to what they did play of TOOL, they'd have played more

I thought Relax was a bust the first time around, charting the same as Rain. I really don't think anyone heard TOOL. But you're right it was after the TBWKTM promo didn't bring in results. It is not easy to get a second chance and it didn't happen in this case that's for sure.

Gee, we have a lot of violent smilies on MFC! I didn't realize! :naughty:

Guess you haven't been reading my posts. :mf_rosetinted:

I had no idea he would be so big in the US, and I definitely didn't think he would eclipse Mika here. So funny how things evolved.

EVERY ONE of his peers in 2007/2008 is now eclipsing him in the US. It's really frustrating especially when some of them have even capitalized on themes and ideas he came up with first.

The thing with Calvin Harris though is that he is here ALL the time. He comes to Toronto at least as many times in one year as Mika has been in his whole career. And he's been doing it since 2007, not just because of his recent breakout.

Yes, or even Love you when I'm drunk, imo....

I still think OOL is the best song in the album, but I'm not sure if it would be a good single, for the main audience...

I think Drunk is too gimmicky. I think Mika will probably drop it from his live set when he releases another album.