Sanremo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Irem Aytepe

4 minutes ago, ottimistaaccidentale said:

I hoped for particular references to Sanremo,

Me too, I've spent a summer holiday in Sanremo with my family a few years ago, so I kind of hoped this song will be inspired by his family holidays there...

That melody of the bridge strongly reminds me of another song - I first thought it's like "Born this way" by Lady Gaga, but the melody is slightly different and I have the feeling I know *exactly* this melody part from somewhere else. :aah: I might be wrong though, Mika often manages to make songs sound like something you know, without actually copying another song. :naughty:

• Like 1

I have to say the more I listen to the song the more I like it, especially the chorus is really catchy, the verses aren't as remarkable for me so far but I enjoy the dreamy atmosphere... It's so different that it makes me think what other songs are on this album, each of the singles are so unique. This one could be a part of TOOL but Tiny Love didn't sound like that at all. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mellody said:

You can listen to a snippet here: https://mora.jp/package/43000006/00602508240867/ ... apparently it's already released in Japan, so it might be worth keeping an eye out for it at midnight your time.

From the snippet I'd say it sounds nice, but it won't be among my fave songs on the album. It reminds me of Bill Withers' "Lovely Day" 

... which I also think is nice, but not very special. Both this and Sanremo (from what I heard of it so far) are nice light songs for a summer's day.

I guess it'll take another 10-12 years for Mika to top Tiny Love (for me). :teehee:

Tiny Love is a masterpiece :bow:

Sanremo is a delight :mikalove:

I'm melting :cloud:

This album will be supercalifragilistiexpidelilicious :excite:

Did I ever tell you how much I love this Mika guy?

Each time he gets me :swoon:

In love with his voice and music since 2007 and forever :mikalove:

🍦Deffo melting like an ice cream in the sun

• Like 1

Do you remember Mika's XL monthly column "POP UP" ?

Mika XL Column 09.2010

XL September 2010

My Italian professor called me “the mute”

Italy I love you. 

I was thirteen, my trousers were too short, there was sweat on my brow and my suspenders were rubbing against the back of my neck. That summer evening in Bordighera, I decided I hated Italy. Here, everything was difficult. I couldn’t get served in cafes, I felt uncomfortable and unfit and my sisters got all the attention.  Foreign women have no idea what Italy really is; ask an awkward teenage boy instead.  He knows the truth.

Growing up, our summer vacations would always be spent in the south of France. We would drive from London in our white Toyota Previa, crammed with luggage, pillows, my parents, a few family pets including a rabbit hidden under my seat, and my four siblings.  Siting on the floor of the car wasn’t an option it was a necessity. As long as the trunk was able to close and the police didn’t see us, we would be off from London on our 20 hour journey to the sun. To this day, driving by car is still my favourite way of getting around, even on tour.

When you come from a big family, everything in theory should be harder, but in practice everything is easier.  Even if we didn’t have much money there was always somebody making a joke, starting a conversation or more entertainingly an argument. The south of France was always our destination because for us it was cheap. We would stay with family, go to the beach, and drive to Italy as often as possible.

Bordighera and the streets of San Remo, were my first experience of Italy.

My mother loved the food and the people and they loved her back. With her big colourful dresses, rounded figure and swarm of children, she was welcomed in Italy where in France it was always frosty looks. My sisters, with their good looks and smiles, revelled in the attention.  My brother was only a child, and enjoyed the fact that in Italy he was never told off or told to be quiet.  My father, who had lived in Rome, spoke Italian and had charm.  Charm!  That was one thing I certainly did not have at 13.  I was awkward.  Quiet but with sudden outbursts of expression, which would make people around me feel uncomfortable.  Perhaps I was seen as odd or effeminate.  My clothes were often things I had made. Shortened trousers, suspenders, collared long sleeve shirts and bow ties. I was not at ease with myself and I felt the Italians were not at ease with me. I would drift around the streets on my own, ordering ice cream at every shop I came across. The easy-manners of Italian young men were devastatingly intimidating to me. I would run away from them.

It is precisely this unease that drove me so intensely into music. Through music I could turn into anything or anyone.  I could be charming, I could be listened to.  Through music I became comfortable with myself and through music Italy eventually accepted me. There are few places in the world where I enjoy playing live more than in Italy. Playing the Milano Forum was the proudest moment on my last tour and it reminded me what a strong influence Italy had been on me when I was very young.

My second encounter with Italy happened much later and far from Italy, in London.  I was 19 and was studying opera at the Royal College of Music, where for three and a half years I sang as a baritone. From the moment I walked into my Italian song class, with my professor Marco Canepa, I felt like that awkward 13 year old all over again.  Professor Canepa was a short middle aged man. He spoke frankly and honestly, in a heavy Italian accent.  He wore red suspenders and loved opera.  In the three and a half years of teaching me, I sang to him only five times and always the same song; Scarlatti’s ‘Gia il sole dal Gange’. I was terrible.  I was now a pop singer pretending to be a classical singer and sounding like a 60 year old baritone. Canepa was desperate. He called me “the mute”.  When I had my last lesson with him, I told him that one day he would be able to see me in Milan but that it would not be at La Scala, as it would be too small. He thought I had lost my mind.

Fast forward five years and I find myself playing my first Italian show at the Alcatraz in Milan. Half way through, I sit down and play a very quiet song called Over My Shoulder. After singing the high long high notes, the crowd starts making a lot of noise. I am horrified, I think they are booing me and just about get through the rest of the show.  It wasn’t until afterwards that I realise they weren’t booing but cheering because they liked my singing. I had never come across an audience like that before.  Professor Canepa never felt so far away.

My teenage hatred for Italy has turned into love. I now realise that Italians get it.  Whatever “it” is. They see beauty and the extraordinary in things that others consider ordinary. They see beauty in sadness they and are not afraid to make themselves heard.  Italy reminds me of of my family, screaming and laughing and our long journeys in our old Toyota Previa.

MIKA

On 8/31/2010 at 5:38 PM, robertina said:

Scan001.jpg

the drawing is by DaWack

On 8/31/2010 at 7:56 PM, adda said:

I tried to write it down as fast as I could. Sorry for the mistakes.

Avevo tredici anni e i pantaloni troppo corti, la fronte mi sudava e le bretelle mi tiravano sul collo. Quella sera d'estate, a Bordighera, decisi che odiavo l'Italia. Tutto era difficile. Nei bar non mi servivano, mi sentivo a disagio e indatto, e tutta l'attenzione era riservata alle mie sorelle. Le donne straniere non hanno idea di che cos'e veremente l'Italia: chiedetelo a un gaffo adolescente maschio. Lui conosce la verita.

Da ragazzo le nostre vacanze estive erano sempre nel Sud della Francia. Scendevamo in macchina da Londra, sulla nostra Toyota Previa bianca, stipata di bagagli, cuscini, genitori, gualche animaletto di famiglia tra cui un coniglio nacosto sotto al mio sedile e i miei quatro fratelli. Stare seduti sul pacimento dell'auto non era una scelta, era una necessita. Se il bagagliaio si chiudeva e la polizia non ci beccava, salpavamo da Londra per il nostro viaggio di venti ore verso il sole.

Bordighera e le strade di Sanremo sono state la mia prima esperienza dell'Italia. Mia madre adorava la cucina e la gente, e la gente ricambiava il sentimento. Con i suoi vestiti larghi e colorati, il suo fisico rotondo e il suo sciame di bambini in italia era ben accolta, mendre in Francia riceveva sempre sguardi gelidi. La mie sorelle, carine e sorridenti, si crogiolavano nelle attenzioni. Mio fratello era solo un bambino e apprezzava il fatto che aveva vissuto a Roma, parlava italiano e aveva fascino. Fascino! Ecco una cosa che non avevo a 13 anni. Ero goffo. Tranquillo ma con improvvise esplosioni di espressivita, che mettevano a disagio la gente che mi stava intorno. Forse mi vedevano como uno strano, o effemminato. I miei erano spesso cose avevo fatto io. Pantaloni accorciati, brettelem camicie a maniche lunghe con colletto e cravattino. Non ero a mio agio con me stresso e sentivo che gli italiani non lo erano con me. La spigliatezza dei ragazzimi intimidiva. Volevo scappare via da loro.

Il mio secondo incotro con l'Italia avvenne molto piu tardi e lontano dall'Italia, a Londra. Avevo 19 anni e studiavo opera lirica al Royal College of Music, dove cantai come baritono per tre anni e mezzo. Non appena antrai nell'aula del corso di canto italiano, tenuto dal professore Marco Canepa, mi sentii di nuovo come quel goffo ragazzino di 13 anni. Il prof era un uomo basso di mezza eta e parlava in modo schietto e sincero, con forte accento italiano. Indossava bretelle rosse e adorava l'opera. In tre anni e mezzo che l'ho avuto professore, ho cantato in sua presenza solo cinque volte, e sempre la stessa canzone, 'Gia il sole dal Gange', si Scarlatti. Ero terribile. Ero un cantante pop che fingeva de essere un cantante classico e sembrava un baritono sessantenne. Canepa era disperato: mi chiamava "il muto". Alla mia ultima lezione con lui, gli dissi che un giorno avrebbe potuto verdemi a Milano, ma non alla Scala perche era troppo piccola. Penso che fossi impazzito.

Saltiamo in avanti di cinque anni: al mio primo concerto italiano al'Alcatraz di Milano. Ameta show, mi metto seduto e suono un pezzo tranquillo, Over my Shoulder. Quando mi produco nelle note alte prolungate, la folla comincia a fare un gran brusio. Inorridisco, penso che mi stiano contestando e stanto proseguo il concerto. Solo alla fine mi rendo conto che non mi stavano contestando ma acclamando: apprezzavano il mio modo di cantare. Non era mai incappato in un publico del genre prima di allora. Il professor Canepa non mi era mai sembrato tanto lontano.

Il mio odio di adolescente per l'Italia si e transformato in amore. Ora mi rendo conto: Italians get it. Non se esattamente cosa, ma hanno capito. Vedono la bellezza e cio che e straordinario in cose che gli altri considerano ordinarie. L'Italia mi ricorda la mia famiglia, quando gridavamo e ridevamo nei nostri lungi viaggi a bordo della Toyota Priva.

Thank you Robertina for the scan! :huglove:

2010-09-xl-illus1.thumb.jpg.b3a2495491913d8851826f8a3d9e5bc3.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Do you remember Mika's XL monthly column "POP UP" ?

It's very similar to the chapter he read here:

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Bordighera and the streets of San Remo, were my first experience of Italy.

We spent our family holidays in Bordighera last year and in San Remo eight years ago so somehow it makes me happy to know Mika has been there with his family too... :biggrin2:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mellody said:

That melody of the bridge strongly reminds me of another song - I first thought it's like "Born this way" by Lady Gaga, but the melody is slightly different and I have the feeling I know *exactly* this melody part from somewhere else. :aah: I might be wrong though, Mika often manages to make songs sound like something you know, without actually copying another song. :naughty:

For me the mood is a little like in "By The Time".... rocking, relaxing, warming...... :fangurl:

27 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

For me the mood is a little like in "By The Time".... rocking, relaxing, warming...... :fangurl:

By The Time is my least favourite Mika song, and it makes me feel rather uncomfortable - totally different from Sanremo, in my eyes. :teehee:

I must say, the song grows on me, the more I listen to it. :naughty: I know now what Mika meant in his IG live when he described it as "sticky" - it just slowly makes its way to stick in your head like a hook-and-loop fastener, I already keep humming it all the time! :lol3:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mellody said:

I know now what Mika meant in his IG live when he described it as "sticky" - it just slowly makes its way to stick in your head like a hook-and-loop fastener, I already keep humming it all the time! :lol3:

Yes. I listened once. And then I had to replay it. And replay it... 

BTW By the Time I don't listen to very often. But when I do it becomes sticky too 😆

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mellody said:

Got it! Waterfalls by TLC! It's still slightly different, but the melody of that last line of the bridge "but tomorrow we'll be..." sounds totally like that in "but I think we're moving too fast" from Waterfalls.

I Don't know what about you guys, but today I Woke up and had to get to work, so on my way I was listening to "Sanremo".  At first, I Wasn't sure what do I Think of it, but then after a few listens it grew on me. For me it has a bit of disco feeling, Like kind of Michael Jackson songs? from the "Off The Wall" Album. I Like it!! Mika Voice is just so nice to listen to! Like the 80's vibe

Oh, it's has a bit of Be Gess feeling as well!

Edited by MatanBenYosef224
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Mika posting a clip to Twitter / IG today.

It's less than a month until I release my new album and today I release my next track called ‘Sanremo’.
You can pre-order ‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’ at the link below and receive the track instantly

3 hours ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

I Don't know what about you guys, but today I Woke up and had to get to work, so on my way I was listening to "Sanremo".  At first, I Wasn't sure what do I Think of it, but then after a few listens it grew on me. For me it has a bit of disco feeling, Like kind of Michael Jackson songs? from the "Off The Wall" Album. I Like it!! Mika Voice is just so nice to listen to! Like the 80's vibe

Oh, it's has a bit of Be Gess feeling as well!

Mika's Sanremo reminds me of this song, especially the chorus :biggrin2:

• Like 4