Big Software Update Notice!

dcdeb

ok, so for the Mikapedia thingy i'd always edit it in a google doc then copy and paste it onto MFC. To get it to look how i want i'd use code like [B]for bold text[/B] or [color=#008000]to make the text green[/color].  But when i tested it the codes no longer work. :(

Is this something you can enable or do i have to totally rethink how i do Mikapedia? :facepalm:

Edited by kreacher
  • Sad 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:11 AM, kreacher said:

ok, so for the Mikapedia thingy i'd always edit it in a google doc then copy and paste it onto MFC. To get it to look how i want i'd use code like [B]for bold text[/B] or [color=#008000]to make the text green[/color].  But when i tested it the codes no longer work. :(

Is this something you can enable or do i have to totally rethink how i do Mikapedia? :facepalm:

So you're saying that you add the codes in your google doc before you paste it here?

Not sure why it doesn't work now if it was working before. I'll play with it a bit and contact Tech Support if I can't figure it out.

But you know you can always use the text editor here to change the colors, font, font size, underline, etc.?

BOLD

GREEN

It might take a little getting used to, but you shouldn't have to change the entire Mikapedia!

I'll let you know what I find out.

• Thanks 1

I mentioned this in the chat, but I'll say it here, too -- I discovered tons of new emoticons while restoring our missing ones. Anything you'd like an emoticon for, that I should add?

On 9/30/2020 at 7:11 AM, kreacher said:

What you're using is BB Code, I thought they had already changed this with the update 5 years ago or so. Not sure if we can activate it somewhere, @dcdeb? You can definitely use HTML code and paste that in the source view of the editor, but maybe there's an easier option, I'll check when I have more time.

• Like 1

@kreacher If you want to use HTML and just paste it into the Source view (Button "Source" on the top left of the editor), you can use colours with <span style="color:#2ecc71;">text</span> (don't forget the semicolon after the colour number) and for bold it does work with <b>text</b>, but the correct use would be <strong>text</strong>. You can check in the source view how certain things are formatted, if you need more.

But how about what Deb suggested, if you just add the formattings after pasting the text? Would that be a problem for some reason?

4 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I mentioned this in the chat, but I'll say it here, too -- I discovered tons of new emoticons while restoring our missing ones. Anything you'd like an emoticon for, that I should add?

Here's a few suggestions, I find these cute but ofc you don't have to add them if we already have similar ones.

acute.gif

boredau.gif

sorry bh.gif

maybe one of these in addition to the dunno one, as the dunno always looks so sad? bk.gifkeineahnung.gif

a cute blushing one blush.gif

• Like 3

On 10/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, mellody said:

@kreacher If you want to use HTML and just paste it into the Source view (Button "Source" on the top left of the editor), you can use colours with <span style="color:#2ecc71;">text</span> (don't forget the semicolon after the colour number) and for bold it does work with <b>text</b>, but the correct use would be <strong>text</strong>. You can check in the source view how certain things are formatted, if you need more.

But how about what Deb suggested, if you just add the formattings after pasting the text? Would that be a problem for some reason?

@dcdeb @mellody

Ooh I used to know html but all that left my brain years ago xD

There are over 1300 entries. Formatting after pasting would take 10 million years. 

I’ve been messing around, testing, changing my process, and I think i’ve got something that’ll work. It’s gonna take ages at first, but hopefully will be  faster (or at least not slower) for subsequent updates.

15 hours ago, kreacher said:

There are over 1300 entries. Formatting after pasting would take 10 million years. 

So do you always copy and paste the whole thing, and not just the parts you edit?

FYI, since the last update, the forum software is automatically archiving all threads that haven't been active for 5 years or longer. That means they're still there but not available in the search function anymore. I read that some of you said the website was faster for them now, I think that might be the (or one) reason. However, there's some things we'd like to keep in the search function, especially interviews and gig report threads. So over time we're gonna unarchive those, which unfortunately has to be done manually for each thread, so that is rather a task for months (at least) than for days.

Anyway if you can't find a certain old thread that you're looking for in the search function, you'll have to look through the forum pages, it's not gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mellody said:

FYI, since the last update, the forum software is automatically archiving all threads that haven't been active for 5 years or longer. That means they're still there but not available in the search function anymore. I read that some of you said the website was faster for them now, I think that might be the (or one) reason. However, there's some things we'd like to keep in the search function, especially interviews and gig report threads. So over time we're gonna unarchive those, which unfortunately has to be done manually for each thread, so that is rather a task for months (at least) than for days.

Anyway if you can't find a certain old thread that you're looking for in the search function, you'll have to look through the forum pages, it's not gone. 

Actually I think the search function itself isn't working the way it used to.  Before you could search just one forum (eg you could limit the search to "Mika's Music and Artwork" if you knew what you were looking for was in that section); now you only seem to be able to search the whole site.

4 minutes ago, silver said:

Actually I think the search function itself isn't working the way it used to.  Before you could search just one forum (eg you could limit the search to "Mika's Music and Artwork" if you knew what you were looking for was in that section); now you only seem to be able to search the whole site.

In fact that is still working for me. If I'm in a certain section and use the search function, under the headline "Search the community" it says "showing results for *searchword* in content posted in *section*". And below that on the right you have the button for the advanced options. Just the actual search field doesn't have these advanced options anymore, but they're still there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

So do you always copy and paste the whole thing, and not just the parts you edit?

yeah cuz i'm always tweaking little things and adding tidbits of info. I don't do editing directly in the  MFC thread for several reasons, but the main ones are that i can edit google docs offline, and i have a record of all the changes in case something bad happens

On 10/5/2020 at 2:57 PM, mellody said:

Yes, what Karin said. And also, if there's something specific you're looking for and can't find it, just ask me. I might be able to locate it for you fairly quickly, as I have been here for a while :old: and have a pretty good memory about where things are/were. Most of the time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:49 PM, mellody said:

On 10/5/2020 at 3:57 PM, kreacher said:

yeah cuz i'm always tweaking little things and adding tidbits of info. I don't do editing directly in the  MFC thread for several reasons, but the main ones are that i can edit google docs offline, and i have a record of all the changes in case something bad happens

Dee, I also assumed that you only edited the Mikapedia in places, not the whole thing each and every time.

It seems to me that there must be something we can do to make things easier, not harder, for you. I'll look into it some more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, krysady said:

I got this message this morning and couldn't enter the forum for a while, is this something I need to install? 

Screenshot (120).png

No, you definitely don't have to install anything to use this forum. I suppose Tech Team were working on the site or something. @dcdeb do you know what it was? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, krysady said:

I got this message this morning and couldn't enter the forum for a while, is this something I need to install? 

Screenshot (120).png

16 hours ago, cathouzouf said:

I got the same message

I checked with Tech Support and they said this was a temporary problem they had yesterday morning, but it was fixed, so you shouldn't encounter it again. Please lmk if you do, though!

• Like 2

Same here 

[[Template core/front/global/favico is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default the

[[Template core/front/global/favico is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]