Mika as a judge for "The Piano", Channel 4 UK, 2023

Kumazzz

Daily Express

15 Mar 2023

DailyExpress_15_03_2023.jpg.4c0afe6672c9138771dfc34f20351f67.jpg

Grand finale’s key stars

TONIGHT on Channel 4 we have THE PIANO: THE FINAL (9pm).

It’s a bit like The Piano’s previous four episodes, only it’s the final, so it’s completely different. Up until now, what this show has done each week is visit a different railway station and secretly eavesdrop on a series of random people who’ve turned up, not to catch a train, because obviously that’s just a miserable experience you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy, but to play a nice tune or two on the station’s public piano.

(If you’re reading this column some years from now, maybe in some sort of cultural archive or having accidentally dug up a Blue Peter time capsule, public pianos at railway stations were briefly a thing in the early 2020s before the Fun Police had them confiscated and taken away for firewood.)

At the end of each episode, the performers – who’ve known they were on the telly but who’ve assumed it was just so they could show off their fancy playing – have been asked to assemble in a big room, where presenter Claudia Winkleman (whose very presence should surely have made them smell a rat of some kind) has then delivered some big news.

All this time, they’ve been informed, they’ve been unwittingly competing in, golly me, a TV talent contest.

And the best performer of the day – as chosen by judges Mika and Lang Lang (who’ve been hiding out the back near the toilets or suchlike, secretly watching on monitors) – is about to be given their own slot in a special show at The Royal Festival Hall, to be staged in a few weeks’ time before an audience of however many people The Royal Festival Hall holds.

Needless to say, they’ve all been rather thrilled about this.Who wouldn’t be?

And so tonight we find those four winners – Jay, Danny, Sean and Lucy (she’s the one who’ll particularly make you sob your heart out) – gearing up for their big moment.

And, as has been the case throughout the series, it really is rather lovely, even if that does make me sound a bit like Sergeant Wilson from Dad’s Army.

You can watch the concert itself, which also features the judges doing some of their own stuff

– THE PIANO: THE CONCERT

(More4, 10.15pm) – but first we get to see how Mika and Lang Lang prepare each performer.

Mika is particularly keen that they learn to relax, so they’ll perform at their best on the night.

“Breathe, man!,” he reminds Sean. “You are not breathing when you’re playing.”

Sound advice, I’m sure. Failing to breathe must surely have a detrimental impact on even the finest pianist’s performance.

Particularly when they turn a funny colour and fall off their stool.

DailyExpress_15_03.2023_page39.thumb.jpg.0b0f0c8eb81472970913b28491f35f44.jpg

• Like 1

Daily Star

DailyStar_15_03_2023.jpg.e13782bcf579e68c583e64cf5d2bc488.jpg

LUCY JOINS FANTASTIC FOUR IN PIANO FINAL

A TEENAGER who communicates through music has made it through to tonight’s final of The Piano.

Lucy’s rendition of Chopin’s Nocturne in B# Minor left judges Lang Lang and Mika speechless.

The 13-year-old, who was discovered playing the piano in Leeds Railway Station, is blind and neurodivergent but will now play at The Royal Festival Hall. The last four on the talent show – presented by Claudia Winkleman – are Jay, Sean and Danny.

Lucy’s mum Candice said:

“I always knew she would be on a big stage one night. I said to producers, ‘You have seen in my daughter what I have seen for years.’”

🔴 The final is on Channel 4 at 9pm.

daily-star-15_03_2023_ThePiano.thumb.jpg.23c60a93a095ccbd54db92904e983702.jpg

daily-star-15_03_2023_p-25_ThePiano.thumb.jpg.198c697805d364a169d4b88f98bf4268.jpg

• Like 1

Daily Mail

Daily_Mail_15_03_2023.jpg.0d395e1e37c7f77ed0fe23ff0f76ffc3.jpg

15 March 2023

PICK OF TODAY’S TV

MUSICAL MAESTROS

The Piano:

The Final, 9pm, Ch4

THE four amateur pianists, plucked from train stations around the country, prepare to perform at the Royal Festival Hall. First, Lang Lang and Mika (pictured with host Claudia Winkleman) help them to rehearse for their debut before a packed concert hall.

The full event — including performances from the judges — will be shown on More4 at 10.15pm.

page 36

Daily_Mail_15March2023_p-36.jpg.thumb.jpg.787e041f8e442a5397987b83e2797f39.jpg

Daily_Mail_15March2023_9PM.jpg.thumb.jpg.0830910de8280886c15fb3a512faacaa.jpg

dailymail.thumb.jpg.9674d77867932c949114ba71e1ada510.jpg

• Like 1

The Times

the_times-15_03_2023.thumb.jpg.845246a1edaf383ae90f996f3b59d25e.jpg

15 March 2023

Lang Lang: Why I had to appear on ‘the Bake Off for pianos’

Lang Lang talks to Neil Fisher before the Channel 4 talent show searching for virtuosos concludes tonight

I was a sceptic when I sat down to watch the Channel 4 show that was immediately christened “Bake Off for pianos” when it was announced. The Piano, presented by Claudia Winkleman, promised to comb the UK, looking for hidden talent by capturing would-be virtuosos tickling the ivories of those slightly bashed-up pianos that sit in our railway stations. Spotted by professionals who are hidden from view, they would be mentored and sent out to play at the Royal Festival Hall in London in a public concert. Instead of soggy bottoms was it going to be flat Chopin?

In fact, The Piano has been a winter tonic. The five-part series finishes tonight with chunky success in the ratings (Channel 4 points to about (Channel 4 points to about three million viewers an episode), and it has achieved that important milestone of televisual success, a spot on Gogglebox. Adding much-needed ballast on the musical side of the show is the piano star Lang Lang, who alongside the pop singer Mika makes up the professionals. Adored by millions, if sniffed at by some critics, the first breakout star of Chinese classical music is effusive about the series. “I think we really needed a show like this,” he says over coffee in a west London hotel. He has just come from promoting The Piano on This Morning and another guest immediately approached him. “

She said: ‘My grandson is loving it. He’s nine years old and now his practice has doubled because of the show.’ ”

It was because Lang Lang had found himself glued to videos of members of the public playing railway station pianos across the world that his interest in appearing on The Piano was piqued. “There are millions watching them. So I knew it was kind of cool.”

Cool enough that before the finale, in which musicians from London, Leeds, Birmingham and Glasgow will perform at the Festival Hall, Lang Lang had to have a go. Last week he gave an unannounced gig in St Pancras. “I always feel itchy when I see the piano there.” Perhaps it was the cameras, perhaps it was the musicianship, but hundreds stopped. “I had a good crowd,” he says, laughing. “It’s a really good feeling to reach people who would normally never go to a concert hall. Somehow there’s a moment that rings a bell to their heart.”

The 40-year-old is inclined to talk in flowery phrases such as this, which oddly remind me of some of his playing. A last-minute message from the Channel 4 publicist requests that I not talk about politics; Sino-UK relations are not what they were when the pianist arrived on the scene early in the century. So when I ask him if he thinks there are now more barriers across the world — particularly for someone who says he lives in New York, Shanghai and Paris — his reply is pure balm. “I think the world needs musicians more than ever. Music can unite people’s hearts . . . heal people’s feelings.”

On The Piano that message feels authentic. The stories of the amateur pianists have been heart-warming. “We’ve had ages from 9 to 95,” Lang Lang says. “From a truck mechanic to a bartender.” Harry, 92, who first performed in public at George V’s Silver Jubilee, was hard to forget in the London episode. We saw him playing to his wife, who had severe dementia but could follow the music. “When I sit down and play the piano, it’s usually because I want to block everything out of my mind. You can’t play the piano if you’re thinking about something else,” he explained.

The four finalists, who play for the public at the Southbank Centre in tonight’s episode, were chosen from each city the team visited. They comprise three young men dealing with traumatic issues (one because of the suicide of his father, one with a history of drug addiction, another who is on the autistic spectrum) and extraordinarily gifted Lucy, a blind 13-year-old who cannot communicate in speech. “She’s unbelievable — she just can’t stop playing,” Lang Lang says. “If you don’t stop her she will play all night.” However, he rebuffs the idea that the four ticked a box marked “damaged”. “We didn’t choose them because they have a mental health problem.” He was looking for a spark. “There are a lot of players that maybe play more properly, but emotionally do not have much to say.”

Lang Lang’s rise to the top was achieved with buckets of talent — and the obsession of his father. As he recounted in his memoir, when one of his childhood teachers “fired him” for not being good enough, Lang Guoren told his son to kill himself. Inspiring others now — supposedly 40 million children in China learnt the piano because of him — does Lang Lang feel a responsibility to project a different attitude? “Well, first I think the number is a bit too high. But yes, there are a lot of kids looking up to me.”

Yet he thinks that the Gen-Z pianists don’t take things as seriously today anyway. “This generation is not like my generation. Parents who are basically my age, they’re putting less pressure on their kids.” The key difference between West and East, he says, is that in China or Korea enthusiasm for classical music is not considered weird. “Young people don’t think it’s boring. Even if they don’t like it, they would never say that.”

As for Lang Lang’s father, he is now a grandfather — Lang Lang has a twoyear-old son with his pianist wife, Gina Alice Redlinger — but, no, Gramps won’t be helming the lad’s music education. “My father’s not going to be involved . . . he will do other things.”

And Lang Lang’s missionary zeal now extends to his own education system. The Lang Lang Foundation works with 100 schools in China and 80 schools in the US using a programme called Keys of Inspiration. Last year the charity’s new UK arm found its first British partner, the Winns Primary School in Waltham Forest, east London. Starting with years 3 and 4, children will get one of 30 digital pianos, as well as headphones and a host of other learning resources. In return for this level of investment — it costs the foundation about £50,000 — the school commits to group piano classes twice a week.

In America, where music has not been on state curriculums for years, it has made a huge difference. “This is not after-school — music is back in the system! They’re grading with this class.” And then come the other benefits. “They get more confident, more creative. They’re better at mathematics.”

Within the next year the foundation hopes to extend to other deprived parts of London. At a fundraiser in June at Koko in Camden Town, Lang Lang will perform and rattle the bucket. I note that shortly before that there is the Coronation Concert, which seems like perfect Lang Lang territory (he played in the 2012 Diamond Jubilee festivities). He clams up, but admits his diary is open.

Before Lang Lang flies halfway across the world again I ask him what he would say to all those families who have a piano staring at them in their living room, unloved and gathering dust. “Just make your piano alive,” he replies. “It’s a spiritual instrument.” Then the inevitable chaser. “And don’t be afraid of hard work.”

page 76

the_times-15_03_2023-1.thumb.jpg.a168e51b0e39ca3bce675a67da5f31a8.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

The Irish News

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2023/03/15/news/mika_praises_jaw-dropping_blind_finalist_of_the_piano-3135233/

15 March, 2023 00:01

Mika praises ‘jaw-dropping' blind finalist of The Piano

Mika has praised “jaw-dropping” 13-year-old blind musician Lucy, who is one of four pianists to make it to the final of The Piano.

The singer-songwriter, 39, has been on the hunt for Great Britain’s most talented undiscovered pianists along with Chinese pianist Lang Lang and presenter Claudia Winkleman, for the Channel 4 programme.

Lucy, from West Yorkshire, has made it to the final along with 25-year-old Jay from the Isle of Wight, 27-year-old Sean from Edinburgh and Danny from Manchester, 26.

Speaking about discovering Lucy, who left Lang Lang speechless with her rendition of Chopin’s Nocturne in B-flat minor, Mika said: “Magical things happen with music that are against all odds and all limitations.

“It’s astonishing when it happens. When it happened in Leeds, when Lucy performed, it was jaw-dropping.

“It was the most humbling thing you could possibly see. We didn’t expect any of this.

“She’s not playing to be a superstar. She’s not playing to sell millions of records or get millions of streams.”

He added: “For a lot of people, the piano is their voice.

“It comes back to this really important thing. We make music to express what we cannot express with words.

“Whether we don’t have the words or we don’t know how to use them, it doesn’t matter.”

Each of the finalists, who performed during a final concert at London’s Royal Festival Hall – which will air on Wednesday evening, were discovered after playing on public pianos in some of Britain’s busiest train stations.

Lucy’s mother Candice reflected on the experience of Lucy, who developed her skills through musical charity The Amber Trust, taking part in the show, saying: “It’s a once in a lifetime experience that neither of us will ever forget.

“It was literally life changing, these kind of events don’t usually happen in our lives.

“I was so impressed how Lang Lang and Mika were so good with Lucy, they were totally respectful of her needs.

“And to see that these two maestros were in awe of her made my heart burst with emotion.”

Fellow finalist Jay, who was discovered at Kings Cross St Pancras Station in London and described by Mika as a “really good piano player, a really good storyteller”, explained how playing the piano “has taken me out of a lot of negative situations” and said making it to the final of the show “really did feel like one of those life changing moments, and something I have never experienced before”.

While Sean, whose style Mika described as “virtuosic”, “complex” and “extremely nuanced” after he was discovered at Glasgow Central Station, admitted: “Now I have a taste for venues like the Royal Festival Hall, so I am working hard to make sure it’s not a one off.”

Danny, who was discovered at Birmingham New Street Station and described by Mika as “remarkably talented and very nuanced”, admitted he is no stranger to performing for commuters, saying: “I have played at every train station where there is a piano, it’s my favourite place to play, and I add on extra hours to my journey just to play.”

The Piano: The Final will air on Channel 4 on March 15 at 9pm.

001127122-12dc7249-556b-4f05-98ef-f446c9e34045.thumb.jpg.1e9b04049ff49e45ca6180b9dde83b10.jpg

1e6e8c87-f39d-4da9-a0b0-8f814986ddb6.thumb.jpg.c9e44e93d1772eb8382c1ab6f6238353.jpg

The Piano finalists with Mika, Lang Lang and Claudia Winkleman on stage at Royal Festival Hall

(Mark Bourdillon/Love Productions)

43249863-dfe0-4657-abd9-b241e41807fe.thumb.jpg.8309b0534f252538470d2fe3862800bd.jpg

Lucy sat at Piano on stage at Royal Festival Hall (Mark Bourdillon/Love Productions)

9f73c358-0fd4-4be7-8da6-5ab5495918eb.thumb.jpg.fda42b3eb5686eda242424102a86c578.jpg

Mika with finalist Sean and Jay (Mark Bourdillon/Love Productions)

So glad the headline mentions MIka! 😊

• Like 3

I'll be watching The Concert episode on catch up tomorrow, so please NO SPOILERS!!!

I have just watched the normal episode on Channel 4, and I won't spoil that either for anyone. But my word, that was magic! 💖

• Like 5

That. Was. Incredible. Oh gosh. Wow, wow wow wow. So full of emotion right now. Such a brilliant, brilliant show. So glad we were able to see behind the scenes, it just added so much more depth to the experience. Kudos to the producers, they know their job - I realised at one point I was nervous for the contestants! Err, I was there, I know what happened, why am I nervous?? :lol3:

@mellody You're famous! 

So, so impressed yet again by Mikas coaching, he has such an innate understanding of the candidates. Watching him coach Sean was amazing. 

And of course, the 4 candidates were fantastic. Brilliant performances. The update at the end, that they've started some joint projects and plan on keeping in touch, was perfect. ❤️

• Like 7

Jay and Sean's project on YouTube

Stars of Channel 4's The Piano, Jay Eatwell travelled up from the Isle of Whight to collaborate on a track with Edinburgh's Sean Logan - You can watch them both in action on All 4.

#ThePiano Make sure you are Subscribed to Twelve50 - #1 Urban Platform in Scotland. 🎤🎥󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿📺

• "Waiting For You"
  • Piano piece written and performed by Sean Logan
  • Vocals written & performed by Jay Eatwell
  • Shot, Edited & Produced by Kip Cozy

• Like 2

The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/03/15/piano-final-review-delightful-evening-belonged-13-year-old-lucy/

15 March 2023 • 10:10pm

REVIEW

The Piano:

The Final, review: this delightful evening belonged to 13-year-old Lucy4

The Piano (Channel 4) reached its finale with a concert at the Royal Festival Hall. The four amateur pianists chosen at auditions in railway stations were on the bill. “They have just a few weeks…” said presenter Claudia Winkleman, inevitably. The jeopardy of a deadline is always built into shows of this type.

This has been a delightful series that succeeded because the charm and talent of the participants outweighed the manipulative behaviour of the programme-makers. Watching it, one had to wonder. Did all of these contestants, with their heartbreaking/inspiring backstories, just stumble upon an advert for an audition and pop to their nearest participating station? The premise was billed as “secret” but what exactly did they all think they were doing, performing in front of a TV crew with Winkleman as host? Were these four really the finest pianists to audition, or the ones with the most interesting lives?

These questions bounced around my mind for the first half of the final episode. But when the performers took to the stage, the questions disappeared. Specifically, they disappeared at the sight of 13-year-old Lucy, a sublime pianist who is blind and unable to hold a conversation due to her developmental delays. She played Debussy’s Arabesque No 1 beautifully. When Lang Lang called her a “genius”, it didn’t feel like hyperbole.

Lang Lang and Mika have been great judges – the former’s technical expertise married with the latter’s enthusiasm and ease. Although it was annoying when they kept loudly whispering during the performances.

The other three performers also did everyone proud – they didn’t put a foot wrong. Jay, Sean and Danny performed their own compositions. Danny, when aged just nine, had lost his father to suicide. His song moved Winkleman to tears.

At the end, each performer was given their own piano, which was a nice touch because none of them owned one, and Lucy was named star performer. Asking the judges to pick a winner felt unnecessary, but nobody could argue with their choice.

70963_5_S1_Ep5_ThePianoS1Ep5_.thumb.jpg.ed311e507d5b5513b9e98bd8b9a47317.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Episode 5 : Final at the Royal Festival Hall

Channel 4 https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-piano/on-demand/70963-005

Episode 6 : The Concert

Channel 4 https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-piano/on-demand/70963-006

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Daily Mail

16 March 2023

DailyMail-16March2023.thumb.jpg.4f58429125aec6068f5ae9092c64bae5.jpg

The young piano genius tuned in to a world she can’t even see

Blind and autistic Lucy, 13, stuns judges to win TV show

‘I’m beyond proud of her’

A STANDING ovation at a packed Royal Festival Hall is a career high for any musician.

And that’s just what happened when blind and autistic Lucy, 13, gave a jaw- dropping performance to win The Piano last night, the Channel 4 competition to find the UK’s best amateur pianist.

The youngster from West Yorkshire, who was born with cancerous tumours in her eyes and is largely non-verbal, left audiences stunned and many in tears with her flawless rendition of Debussy’s Arabesque.

Classical pianist Lang Lang, one of the judges, called her a ‘genius’, while pop star Mika said hers was the ‘performance of the evening’.

The programme, hosted by Claudia Winkleman, sought to find the best amateur pianists by inviting people to perform at pianos at train stations across the country.

In the final episode, Lucy competed against Jay, who works on a construction site, Sean, who was diagnosed as neurodivergent at the age of four, and Danny, who used music as a way to cope following his father’s suicide.

None of the four finalists owned a piano of their own and were each given one by producers following the final episode.

For Lucy, music has been more than simply a hobby, it is the way in which she communicates because she is globally developmentally delayed and struggles to hold a conversation.

She has a chromosome 16 duplication which causes autism traits, developmental delay and intellectual disability.

Her mother Candice said: ‘I always knew she would be on a big stage one night.

‘I said to the producers, “You have seen in my daughter what I have seen for years”.’

Lucy started playing the keyboard when she was only two and started piano lessons with her teacher Daniel when she was three through musical charity The Amber Trust.

Her mother said: ‘ We were at home and she had a lot of musical toys to play with, but Lucy wasn’t just pressing the buttons, she was making rhythm and music, and I thought that was interesting.

‘From a fairy tale book with a piano on it, she started playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star but it was pitch perfect. It was such a moment to hear that.’

The family then upgraded her keyboard and realised she was composing music in her head while sitting on the sofa. She was also able to play back music after listening to it just once.

An emotional Candice was standing by the side of the stage when Lucy received her standing ovation at the venue in London and peeked out so that she could see the reaction.

‘I’m beyond proud of my little girl, beyond proud,’ she said.

When Lucy came off stage after performing, she said to her mother: ‘ A round of applause at the Festival Hall’, to which Candice replied: ‘You got more than a big round of applause, darling.’

Her music teacher Daniel said: ‘I’ve never met anyone who has the same depth of understanding of music. Music is the way that she communicates.’

Candice said that she decided to put Lucy forward for the competition as she wanted to show others how ‘amazing’ she was and raise awareness of her condition.

She added it had been a ‘once in a lifetime experience that neither of us will ever forget’ which was ‘literally life changing’.

Since recording the show, Lucy has been learning more and more pieces by artists including Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington and Stevie Wonder.

Daily_Mail_16_03_2023_25.thumb.jpg.d1b55faa80a1887ec79fd84135ee73bd.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hero said:

@mellody You're famous

:lmfao: Luckily everyone was focused on Lucy's amazing performance, so I don't fear that strangers will recognize me in Cheltenham. :naughty: But ofc those who know me noticed.

I loved watching this on TV, the concert itself was more emotional live, but the behind the scenes footage made the final episode just as touching. :wub2: Mika showing so much empathy and vulnerability in his work with the finalists brought tears to my eyes, and so did Lucy's performance, of course. Again. :mf_rosetinted: And it was so interesting to see that the part I loved most about Sean's performance (he was my 2nd fave after Lucy in London), the delicate slow part that sounds like a music box, was obviously inspired by what Mika said to him. Mika is right with that, it's so powerful!

7 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Jay and Sean's project on YouTube

Stars of Channel 4's The Piano, Jay Eatwell travelled up from the Isle of Whight to collaborate on a track with Edinburgh's Sean Logan - You can watch them both in action on All 4.

#ThePiano Make sure you are Subscribed to Twelve50 - #1 Urban Platform in Scotland. 🎤🎥󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿📺

• "Waiting For You"
  • Piano piece written and performed by Sean Logan
  • Vocals written & performed by Jay Eatwell
  • Shot, Edited & Produced by Kip Cozy

And following up on what I just said, that is what's missing to me in this performance. Firstly, Sean isn't even recognizable in that video, the guy at the piano could be anyone. He didn't seem to me like he was shy in front of a camera, so I don't know why. Secondly, the piano should've played a bigger role in this song, imo. We saw so much more from both of these guys on the show, and here it seems like Sean is just playing some etude from an exercise book, for the most part. Maybe he finds it hard to transport the emotions Jay expresses in the song into his piano playing and can only do it well if it's his own emotions, but then maybe they should've picked a different song that suits them both. Anyway, just my thoughts on this. The video is filmed well, and it's cool that they managed to release it in time for the final. :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

Edinburgh Evening News

16 Mar 2023

edinburghnews.scotsman.com_2023-03-16.jpg.b33d14c0c4279cb121b51b7d2aa07857.jpg

City musician reaches final of TV talent show

A talented Edinburgh musician has reached the final of a TV talent show to find the UK’s best pianists.

Sean Logan, , who has autism, previously appeared in a Bafta-winning short film, Harmonic Spectrum. He is now starring in the finale of The Piano, which aims to find four of the UK’s top amateur pianists.

Sean, 27, said: “It’s been a fantastic experience being on the show. I’ve really enjoyed it and it was great to get to perform as a finalist alongside such talented musicians at the Royal Festival Hall.

"Music brings people together in a positive way and, for me, as an autistic person, it is a great way to connect with others.

"I think it’s really important that autistic people are seen on TV and portrayed in an honest way, as it inspires other autistic people to be themselves and to not hide away or think that they aren’t valued. This show, like Harmonic Spectrum, does just that.

"In my experience, the help is out there if you’re autistic and you need it, but it can often be difficult to find. I think that getting that help and support is vital, because when autistic people are supported and encouraged, they can achieve great things.”

The show, hosted by Claudia Winkleman and judged by pop star Mika and renowned pianist Lang Lang, sees amateur piano players share their experiences and perform on public pianos in train stations the UK. The chosen finalists performed in a grand concert finale at the Royal Festival Hall in London, which was aired on Channel 4 last night.

Sean, who is self-taught and started playing at six years old, performed on the piano at Glasgow Central Station, where he thought he was just going to play some of the work he’d composed on a “normal day”.

He said: “It was a shock to find out Lang Lang and Mika had been watching my performance, but a good shock.

“Claudia was so lovely when I met her I felt like I knew her already. My whole life has revolved around being a good performer, and when I perform I watch the audience out of the corner of my eye. I process the feedback to see what they are feeling, and I will change a piece on the spot to ensure the audience is captivated.

"It is a good feeling when people appreciate my music as then I know I am doing something right.”

Sean staged an Edinburgh Fringe show last year and will be appearing at the festival this year.

Rob Holland, director of National Autistic Society Scotland, said: "We’re delighted to see Sean reach the final of The Piano and he has the platform to showcase his exceptional talent.

"It’s also a step forward for positive autistic representation on TV, as it challenges the stereotypical view as to what autistic people can achieve. It also draws attention to the benefits of creative musical interaction, which we know helps many autistic people to enhance their confidence and self-expression.

"We hope his achievement will inspire more autistic people like Sean to express themselves creatively and have the opportunity to showcase their skills and abilities.”

page 3,

edinburghnews.scotsman.com-16_03_2023-3.thumb.jpg.710a4475eb20c63cd194ea0c08e5bb5a.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mellody said:

:lmfao: Luckily everyone was focused on Lucy's amazing performance, so I don't fear that strangers will recognize me in Cheltenham. :naughty: But ofc those who know me noticed.

I loved watching this on TV, the concert itself was more emotional live, but the behind the scenes footage made the final episode just as touching. :wub2: Mika showing so much empathy and vulnerability in his work with the finalists brought tears to my eyes, and so did Lucy's performance, of course. Again. :mf_rosetinted: And it was so interesting to see that the part I loved most about Sean's performance (he was my 2nd fave after Lucy in London), the delicate slow part that sounds like a music box, was obviously inspired by what Mika said to him. Mika is right with that, it's so powerful!

And following up on what I just said, that is what's missing to me in this performance. Firstly, Sean isn't even recognizable in that video, the guy at the piano could be anyone. He didn't seem to me like he was shy in front of a camera, so I don't know why. Secondly, the piano should've played a bigger role in this song, imo. We saw so much more from both of these guys on the show, and here it seems like Sean is just playing some etude from an exercise book, for the most part. Maybe he finds it hard to transport the emotions Jay expresses in the song into his piano playing and can only do it well if it's his own emotions, but then maybe they should've picked a different song that suits them both. Anyway, just my thoughts on this. The video is filmed well, and it's cool that they managed to release it in time for the final. :thumb_yello:

Imo less means more. And in this song the lyrics come first. I think that the music line goes perfectly with the vocal - we hear it clearly but it doesn't overlap the vocal. Classical sound and rap. 

I can imagine it's not the only one song they played together. Maybe we will hear something else? But who know - Sean with his autistic spectrum can have difficulties with cooperation with other artists. We'll see. I think it's a good starting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, krysady said:

I can't open the Bilivideo links :sad:

Here you are ! :bye:

Episode 5 : The Final

Episode 6 : The Concert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

merci !!!! c'était  très émouvant :) beaucoup trop d'émotions !! félicitations à tous et encore plus à Lucy qui a su nous transporter dans son monde ; more love :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Couldn’t have worded it better, agree with everything you say. It’s also wonderful to see Mika full force with both his coaching and performance. I hope that it will attract the UK public and he will reconnect with the UK again. Not only television, mostly music wise. I would love that for him.

What I personally find heartwarming: we all knew he had agreed to meet the fans after the recording. I decided to watch the videos and pictures of the meet and greet we had with him afterwards :hug: so I relived the whole evening in an even broader sense ❤️

• Like 7