REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA@ House of Blues in Chicago: 05-02-2008

Niki27

Really enjoyed reading your report Leonita. I was living it with you there, I got so wrapped up in Mika-world. I will be waiting patiently (but impatiently) for pics and vids.

So glad everyone had a good time.

Mandi, I bet your experience was that of a lifetime. Cannot wait to hear all about it.

HOB sounds a cool place.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention you forgot the words...I was embarassed to admit that once (being a die-hard fan like I am). But now I realize it's because you become so mesmerized you forget everything...

I was kind of star-struck at Brixton but I'm totally over that now. Toronto was just like...sort of cheering him on, like you're right there with him. That's why I get so much more out of the concert experience than trying to get him to sign a piece of paper afterwards. It's more of a mutual thing when he's singing to you and you're singing right back at him. You could just never connect with him offstage in the same way unless you had his undivided attention.

...but I have SO much to tell you! I would write the review now, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. So I will be back in a couple of hours!

Looking forward to it! :thumb_yello:

Isn't that the truth? That's been my experience at each show. You know, I watch so many youtube vids that as I've been standing in the audience, knowing exactly what comes next... it's been, as you say, surreal. And yet, it doesn't really diminish the experience at all... it

makes it better somehow, for me at least.

I was just saying that in another thread. Knowing that he's about to come bounding towards you after the first low-key lines of Relax is like climbing the world's tallest roller coasting. You can feel the rush coming before it happens because you know what's in store for you.

I was just saying that in another thread. Knowing that he's about to come bounding towards you after the first low-key lines of Relax is like climbing the world's tallest roller coasting. You can feel the rush coming before it happens because you know what's in store for you.

Yeah I think the same. Especially when you know what's going to happen but most of the people around you don't. :naughty: When 9-5 kicks in for example, it takes a few bars until the music goes down etc. and yet from the first note those of us who know what it means are going crazy already.

Ok, I don't have much time for a full report so here's a summary:

I was a lollipop girl with Christina, Emily, and Amanda. We all got to go backstage and watch the concert from there. Everyone who works with Mika is SO nice!! Everytime one of the band members or Mika would walk in i would be eating my crackers, drinking water, or on the phone! Going on stage was incredible. We met Mika afterwards, got pictures with him, gave him gifts (i didnt, i didnt have anything!) and got signatures.

Ill be back this afternoon for more a more detailed report.

Yeah I think the same. Especially when you know what's going to happen but most of the people around you don't. :naughty: When 9-5 kicks in for example, it takes a few bars until the music goes down etc. and yet from the first note those of us who know what it means are going crazy already.

Oh, this reminds me of something I meant to mention... maybe here's

not the place for it, but while we're waiting for the reports... :wink2:

Has anyone else (who's been to earlier shows) noticed that the pre-show music is a little different now? The set still ends with 9 to 5, but now it includes

Standing in the Way of Control, Sweet Dreams, Train in Vain... a few other

songs I don't remember hearing before. And wasn't there some Doobie

Brothers before? I didn't hear it this time.

OK, I'm getting a little too obsessive, aren't I? I'll stop... :naughty:

dcdeb

Has anyone else (who's been to earlier shows) noticed that the pre-show music is a little different now? The set still ends with 9 to 5, but now it includes

dcdeb

Oh no for the last tour I memorised the order of all of the songs so we could estimate how long was left until he came on.

We'd be thinking surely he's gotta be on sometime soon. Then we'd remember a song they hadn't played yet and knew it;d be a bit longer. I'd start yelling "OH NO NOT YET!!! THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED FLEETWOOD MAC!" and stuff like that :naughty:

too obsessive? us? :shocked:

Well I, for one, truly appreciate that some of you stayed awake and have dropped by to report for us! I was only joking before when I was yelling, dcdeb, hope you knew that!!

And I will wait patiently for the rest of you to wake up and report. It will be much easier for me to wait now because Japan is the middle of the night, so at breakfast I will get all the rest of your fabby reports. The LGs sound like they had an unreal time, can't wait to hear more!:wub2:

dcdeb

Thanks for all of the great reviews posted so far! I'm looking forward to reading more after I get back from work..

Deb, I didn't realize they play the same pre-show music at all of the venues. For some reason I thought, it was chosen by each venue, but these were the same songs played in Philly, too. I must admit that when I heard Standing in the Way of Control and Sweet Dreams I started to suspect that Mika may have chosen the music. They also played Yaz and Fleetwood Mac (The exact songs are escaping me though, but my ears perked up since I love Yaz.) Anyway, to answer your original question, yes, this music was different than what I remember from the last time I saw him in the summer at the Nokia in NYC---that mix was even more eclectic and included Love Train.

It is 5am and my sister, Chris, and I just got home....so a review will have to wait for the morning (sorry!)

...but I have SO much to tell you! I would write the review now, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. So I will be back in a couple of hours!

don't worry! get some sleep first! can't wait ro read your report though :punk:

Well I, for one, truly appreciate that some of you stayed awake and have dropped by to report for us! I was only joking before when I was yelling, dcdeb, hope you knew that!!

Of course I did! Didn't you know I was teasing right back? :wink2:

Deb, I didn't realize they play the same pre-show music at all of the venues. For some reason I thought, it was chosen by each venue, but these were the same songs played in Philly, too. I must admit that when I heard Standing in the Way of Control and Sweet Dreams I started to suspect that Mika may have chosen the music. They also played Yaz and Fleetwood Mac (The exact songs are escaping me though, but my ears perked up since I love Yaz.) Anyway, to answer your original question, yes, this music was different than what I remember from the last time I saw him in the summer at the Nokia in NYC---that mix was even more eclectic and included Love Train.

Yes, Love Train -- that was the Doobie Brothers song that was missing.

What Yaz song did they play? I can't remember either... anyway... :roll1:

dcdeb

WOW.

This was perhaps the best night of my LIFE!!

Got there 12:30 pm, thanks Kjoshi for telling me that

HOB was doing pass the line! Norwalk 174 & her sister & mother

were there, and Taylor, and Alex,so sorry I don't remember

everyone else's names.

I saw Martin for a second when I first walked into HOB, later on Luke, Cherisse & Saranayde came in, signed some autographs before the sound check, they are all so genuinely nice. Cherisse had some fantastic rhinestones in her hair. I had made some large blue ribbon rosettes with "I (heart) MFC" and "Chicago Loves Mika" in the center (thank you Mom of Norwalk 174 for helping sew them!), gave them to the band, and Saranayde gave me a string of Mardi Gras beads. You have to understand, this is totally new for me, I have never asked anyone for an autograph before in my life!

I'm crafty, and I figured I'd be there all day, so I brought some fabric, sequins & stuff. I made a pair of earrings that said MI on one ear & KA on the other, then realized that the purple sequins were dark ,next time I'll make them in a brighter color.

To pass the time we made a rainbow banner that said MFC really large & everyone signed it. (Unfortunately, was not able to give it to him. Maybe I should have just thrown it on stage, but there was so much confetti & mardi gras beads I didn't think he'd see it. We waited 2 hours after the show, never saw any of them come out. The staff there were all telling us different stories, as to which door they would come out of, and that he'd already left 15 minutes after the show was over. -They are very good at NOT giving out information, maybe they're training to work at the FBI.)

It still doesn't seem quite real! We got spots right in the front & center,

so close I could reach over the barrier & touch the stage!

Andy did a little filming before it started.

The opening band was pretty good, I like the last song they did, can't remember the name of it! OK, this is not a very good report, Mika is just so amazing he's kind of fried my circuits! The show began with Relax, after which Mika's zipper was falling down & we were all shouting, trying to tell him, by the time he realized what we were yelling at him, he looked a little embarassed but smiled and gave us the finger in a quite adorable way.

I believe they played the usual set of songs, including Missionary Man. Nikki got some great photos, she will post more later. It was a 90 minute show, but it seemed to zoom by so fast, because Mika never stops moving! I was out of breath by the end of it. It's a really neat venue, the wooden floor was shaking. Even if you didn't really want to jump along with the songs, you did anyway.

There were about 1,000 or 1,500 people, sold out, it was packed, incredible energy.

There were 4 Lollipop girls & 1 Big Girl. I only recognized Mandilambi, but you all did a great job. Well done!

Mika pulled some people up onto the stage at the end, but it didn't get out of control.

Oh, and halfway through I realized Luke was wearing my "Chicago Loves Mika" rosette! That just made my day.

to be continued.

Love your report.

When is he going to remember to make sure he zips up before he goes on stage?:naughty:

I'm starting to think he's doing it deliberately to see if anyone notices:roftl:

And it's cool that Sara gave you some beads, nice to see they give back in more ways than one.

sorry there's probably a lot of typos because i'm in a hurry.. we're still a while away from getting in line for the minnesota concert and sorry that i didn't post my report sooner but we had to drive practically through a blizzard and it took a while...

we got in line around 9:45 am and of course we were the first one's and a lovely employee from the hob asked us in a kind of exhausted voice 'you queuing up all ready?!' and we of course said yes and he let us wait inside instead of out in the freezing cold. then kjoshi and mili came around 11 or so and they looked fabulous in their homemade shirts and outfits.. you've probably heard from others but we found out that the restaurant was actually open and you could do the pass in line things so we just got our food to go so that we could still be the first people in pass the line! when we were waiting for the food my friend taylor who went with us (iheartmika on the mfc) spotted martin in a lovely light blue hoodie with a scarf and of course he just looked divine! unfortunately he's very quick and we didn't catch him but we saw him later on quite a few times going up and down the stairs by the restaurant where we all kept yelling martin! he waved to taylor once and he seemed quite happy. then alex and sorry i don't know her name... hmmm.. yeah i don't remember but alex had a girl with him and she was nice as well and leona came with some crafts so we made an MFC banner and signed it with everyone's names and my mother made some big mika rosettes

when it was getting closer to curtain call my mom and twin sister cassie went to go put our 'camping supplies' back in the car.. when they went outside cassie noticed cherisse right there and she froze naturally haha my mom started taking pictures of mikey and made cassie take a picture with cherisse. after that they called us and told them that they were going to be coming inside so we all got up and when they came in we didn't see mikey, he must have slipped away but we did see saranayde come in. once one person asked for an autograph everyone did and they were all so nice and signed stuff and took picture with everyone. my pictures will be up later because they're on taylor's camera out in the car but we took pictures with luke, cherisse, and saranayde. saranayde, being the lovely person she is commented on the ribbons that we had made and we gave one to luke and saranayde.. oh! and luke had a nice flight lol

ONTO THE CONCERT!

midway state was VERRRRRY good :wub2: i did NOT think they were going to be that good so i was very happy indeed, but obviousely i just wanted to see mika. they didn't have enough room on stage for the inflatables or the M but they brought those out according to the song lol

saranayde did her bubble angel dance and then the music started for relax and i saw mika's hair lol he came out and i almost cried but luckily my vision wasn't blurred this time and i was able to control myself. i'm not just saying this because he's mika and i'm obsessed but his singing was AMAZING!

big girl was just wonderful!! and that's when everyone started noticing that his fly was down :naughty: the big girl that came out was definitely a good one! lol mika seemed like he was trying to dance with her but she was off in her own world so when she turned around to face the side of the stage that mika was on he jumped right in front of her and did a sexy pose haha then big girl started feeling on mika lol

before my interpretation everyone had started yelling 'mika your fly is down', 'mika pull up your zipper' but he wasn't getting the message so someone yelled 'on 3!' and they all yelled it at the same time but mika didn't understand so he got closer to the crowd and was like 'what?' and then he figured it out :roftl: it was the cutest thing i've EVER seen in my entire life! he just looked down and stood up, pulled up his zippers, and gave an ADORABLE embarassed face then, hiding it from the rest of the crowd, he flipped us off :lmfao: then he said something like 'i was like'what the hell are they saying?' once again i've made a tit of myself.' i'm not really sure if that's right but it was hilarious

then i lost track of songs but holy johnny was amazing because at the end he kept teasing the band.. he would go 'prays... and he prays.. and he keep on praying... FOR prays.. and he prays.. FOR ME!' hahahaha it was hilarious! how much do you love me was good because he did some high notes and he got the crowd involved..

during stuck in the middle he did that scatting audience thing at the end which was so fun! we kind of sucked though.. billy brown was good and he said something about how they said he couldn't release it in the united states but he did and everyone loves it. i felt so dumb because i couldn't figure out which song he was going to play.

ring ring was WONDERFUL and he got really into it and of course happy ending, my favorite was just WOW at the end during the little bit of love he did soem really wonderful high notes that sounded amazing and then at the end when he sings 'this is the way you left me, i'm not pretending, no hope no love no glory, no happy ending' he stopped singing a bit because he was so happy that everyone was singing along.. his face was just full of happiness and then he had us sing no happy ending! it was just AMAZING

love today was so adorable as well!! the snow thing was wonderful but then he kept slipping on it throughout the song LOL once he came up to the crowd and lifted up his shirt all tease like lol but everything was amazing.. i really did love the cherrise/mika drum-off! grace kelly kachingah game was fun also... OH! and cherisse gave taylor her drumstick!!!!!

lollipop is when he pulled alex, taylor, and mili up on stage!!! that was so exciting!!!!!!!!!!

by the way there was 6 or so girls behind us.. i know everyone complains about this type of stuff but they were HORRIBLE

mikey's head... lol

MIKAHOB023.jpg

my twin sister cassie and cherisse!

MIKAHOB018.jpg

this was me attempting to take a picture of my sister and taylor lol

MIKAHOB009.jpg

ohh! and i forgot to mention Andy!!! He wasn't out near the line at all. that was kind of depressing. but we did end up seeing him before MIKA came out he videotaped kjoshi's shirt and kjoshi and mili's signs. and i think he got a shot of taylor's ribbon.. i'm not sure lol.

After the concert we waited... and waited... and waited for MIKA until we decided that he must have left for minneapolis already. he must have been worried about the blizzard storm coming in like us.. lol so unfortunately we never got to take pictures or say hello but it was an AMAZING show!!!

dcdeb

Maybe for the US dates he changed it.

At the UK dates he pretty much kept the same songs, but jiggled them around, although I noticed at either Newcastle or Bournemouth, can't remember which, he put in ABCs, Look Of Love, which he hadn't played at any of the other shows I had been to. So I guess he likes to put in random songs every now and again.

Maybe for the US dates he changed it.

At the UK dates he pretty much kept the same songs, but jiggled them around, although I noticed at either Newcastle or Bournemouth, can't remember which, he put in ABCs, Look Of Love, which he hadn't played at any of the other shows I had been to. So I guess he likes to put in random songs every now and again.

I have a feeling it was the bournemouth gig cos that's the one I went to and am pretty sure they played that song, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it was Bournemouth!!!

I have a feeling it was the bournemouth gig cos that's the one I went to and am pretty sure they played that song, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it was Bournemouth!!!

I think you might be right, it's just they all started to blur for me a bit, and I couldn't remember:roftl:

I think they probably did the right thing leaving straight away, from what I read earlier in the day, the weather was terrible, so to get underway was most likely the best thing they could do.

It's sad for the people who wanted to meet him, especially if they haven't before, but I'm sure he'll be back there again, hopefully when the weathers better.

WOW! reading these reports makes me want the London gigs to come sooner!...not too soon tho as am poorley sick! :puke::thumbdown:

Newcastle gig DEF had ABC Look of Love as Bab's and I were singing to it and I used to have a choreographed silly dance I used to do to it! I remember we were laughing about how old we are being able to remember it coming out! Of course I was only a baby it was my older Sister who owned it.......LOL! :blush-anim-cl: Oooo Martin Fry!!

I said MIKA! will be playing Modern Romance or Howard Jones next! :) My 80's favs!! :mf_lustslow:

I did mention before not to have your heart set on or expect to meet him after gigs It's all down to timing. I know it's annoying when you haven't met him before but he is like MEGA famous now and the bigger the venue the shorter he will stay. Plus he might have wanted to catch last orders or meet up with his family and friends before bed...who knows.

xxx