"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

Maybe not news but definitely more relevant than some of the earlier posts on this thread.:teehee:

Yes you re absolutely right….

(I just love how some posts bear the priceless “teachers advice" (too many picture quotations, to many off topics,,,, too less intelligent answers… ), things should be from this point to that point...

But I understand… we are who we are

I’m just a free electron (tx b27;-)))

(not really in a good mood today)

Maybe not news but definitely more relevant than some of the earlier posts on this thread.:teehee:

It's good to know that there are more collaborations with Nick Littlemore on the album.:boing:

I don't think relevancy has ever been applied in MFC threads.:naughty: Give us a chance to go off-topic and we're there :yay:

I'm still a bit worried about the collaborations though, don't you feel we might end up with a diluted Mika? :dunno:

I don't think relevancy has ever been applied in MFC threads.:naughty: Give us a chance to go off-topic and we're there :yay:

I'm still a bit worried about the collaborations though, don't you feel we might end up with a diluted Mika? :dunno:

I feel the same, but was reluctant to express my feelings. Mika is so excited, and so are everybody else here, that I decided to keep my fears by myself :aah:

Edit: I just thought, maybe he will start showing the new material after Cannes? After such a good promotion? It's a great time for a new video, uh?

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

I feel worried and excited at the same time.. But all in all I'm more worried that it won't be 100% Mika than excited about the collabs :blush-anim-cl:

PS: especially as I see that Madonna worked with Solveig and Orbit for her new album too

Do you think my post to Louiza sounded disapproving? You are a regular poster so I guess you might have seen that I often post 'off topic' too. Just because someone suggests otherwise it does not mean it's true :dunno:

In case there are off topic posts I don't like, it is only because of their information content and not their off-topicness. :wink2: My comment this time was simply an encouragement to Louiza though (for her not to make excuses for the lack of newsworthiness) so it is funny how it could be so misinterpreted. :dunno:

No, I am not worried about that, actually. In fact, I think collaborators will increase the versatility of the songs and I trust him with applying the right balance.

He's always collaborated. He doesn't compose and perform everything on his own, so...

I guess he could be subjected to criticism for going off in a million different directions but the critics always do that. Oh it all sounds the same, oh the songs are too different - often with the same album :naughty:

Relax is nothing like Billy Brown which is nothing like Grace Kelly and that's fine with me. :dunno:

I guess I won't be thrilled with a bad collaboration (*cough* Doriand :mf_rosetinted:) but he's got a pretty good track record I think.

I also think Mika runs the show no matter what the situation is so I'd be very surprised if it didn't sound Mika in the end.

Anyway that's just me. I like all music as long as it's good (and even sometimes when it's not :naughty:) so I can't imagine him making an album I don't enjoy.

Do you think my post to Louiza sounded disapproving? You are a regular poster so I guess you might have seen that I often post 'off topic' too. Just because someone suggests otherwise it does not mean it's true :dunno:

In case there are off topic posts I don't like, it is only because of their information content and not their off-topicness. :wink2: My comment this time was simply an encouragement to Louiza though (for her not to make excuses for the lack of newsworthiness) so it is funny how it could be so misinterpreted. :dunno:

I wasn't suggesting anything Suzie, it was just a comment about the way threads here generally meander.

Sometimes our little digressions are informative, sometimes fun, sometimes pointless - and we do eventually wander back to the topic :naughty:

I wasn't suggesting anything Suzie, it was just a comment about the way threads here generally meander.

Sometimes our little digressions are informative, sometimes fun, sometimes pointless - and we do eventually wander back to the topic :naughty:

I know. I just found it important to state that I do talk off topic as well, several times, so when I comment that it happens and I add a :teehee: sign, it does not mean disapproval - I don't see why it would.

I feel worried and excited at the same time.. But all in all I'm more worried that it won't be 100% Mika than excited about the collabs :blush-anim-cl:

PS: especially as I see that Madonna worked with Solveig and Orbit for her new album too

I can't see either of them to be too far from Mika's taste in music and I like them both. I have no idea what the collaboration with Pharrell Williams could bring though.

Edited by suzie

I always found it funny when people would get irate about off topic-ness in the Twitter thread because they were looking for updates on Mika's tweets. Err, just go to Twitter then if you want to see his tweets, this is a discussion board for his fans. :naughty:

I do like the news and gig threads to stay more or less on topic but in the Mika Desert those threads are few and far between! :mf_rosetinted:

He's always collaborated. He doesn't compose and perform everything on his own, so...

I guess he could be subjected to criticism for going off in a million different directions but the critics always do that. Oh it all sounds the same, oh the songs are too different - often with the same album :naughty:

Good point :naughty:

In the end, all we can do is wait and see. And pray for not too much unnecessary falsetto :naughty:

I can't see either of them to be too far from Mika's taste in music and I like them both. I have no idea what the collaboration with Pharrell Williams could bring though.

Oh I'm not saying I don't like them, I do like them both and think they can come up with very good things with Mika.. I think what I'm more worried about is the 'image' Mika could have.. Kind of like Christine said (if that's what she meant); that critics could be harsh on him for choosing different directions (and working with some same people as Madonna). But I suppose they can be harsh with him for any reason anyway..

Kind of like Christine said (if that's what she meant); that critics could be harsh on him for choosing different directions (and working with some same people as Madonna). But I suppose they can be harsh with him for any reason anyway..

You've got 5 types of critics:

1. The ones who will slam his album because they hate him.
  2. The ones who will praise his album because they love him.
  3. The ones who only back a winning horse so they will love it/hate it depending on which way the wind is blowing.
  4. The ones who love the sound of their own voice and just want to espouse their views on pop/the music scene/male singers/whatever with little regard to what is actually on the album.
  5. The ones who are actually critically objective. (an endangered species :mf_rosetinted:)

IMO all of these opinions are worthless because with iTunes and YouTube no one has to take a critic's word for anything anymore and you can listen to it for yourself in a fraction of the time it takes to read their opinions. :shun:

The ones who are actually critically objective. (an endangered species :mf_rosetinted:)

IMO all of these opinions are worthless because with iTunes and YouTube no one has to take a critic's word for anything anymore and you can listen to it for yourself in a fraction of the time it takes to read their opinions. :shun:

So sad but true!

You know; I know so many people around me who don't know how to have an opinion (and I must say I myself don't always easily have a clear opinion on all sort of things) that these critics seem to still have some sort of importance to me :dunno:

You know; I know so many people around me who don't know how to have an opinion (and I must say I myself don't always easily have a clear opinion on all sort of things) that these critics seem to still have some sort of importance to me :dunno:

I can understand that if your opinion needs to be informed, like what political party to vote for for example. But music is a matter of taste. Either you like what you hear or you don't. :dunno:

That's why I say I like some music even if it's not good. Someone could write a doctoral dissertation on why a piece of music isn't as good as another and I could even agree with them but it's not going to stop me from listening to it.

I think in this case what I'm more concerned about is whether people will make a step towards Mika's music and even try to listen to the new songs rather than whether they will like it or not. Critics can still have an influence on whether or not you're going to go on ITunes/Youtube to try and find out by yourself (and then use your 'taste' in music)

Oh I don't want 30 second clips to leak. Ruins it for me, but I don't have the willpower to resist. :aah:

I'm going to try this time...

maybe. :naughty:

I don't either... I listened to them last time and it ruined that first listen through.

:roftl: I feel the same way! Mine's at the end of August -- we

REALLY don't want him to release it on my birthday! :shocked:

Indeed. :mf_rosetinted:

How about my birthday? It's towards the end of October? :teehee:

I have to agree with you about the Pharrell Williams collab. Actually, it'd be quite amusing if Mika decided to rap :lmfao:

After reading the whole thread, I have to admit that I've got no opinion on TOOL whatsoever (except for EMD, that song is pretty kick ass). And he's got a song called The Fly...

Really Mika? The Fly?

All I'm thinking of is the U2 song called The Fly, and Bono wearing the Fly shades... :das:

Edited by nico_collard

I think in this case what I'm more concerned about is whether people will make a step towards Mika's music and even try to listen to the new songs rather than whether they will like it or not. Critics can still have an influence on whether or not you're going to go on ITunes/Youtube to try and find out by yourself (and then use your 'taste' in music)

Well, over here it still has to do more with promo and media exposure than anything else :dunno: If you go to enough radio stations, come on tv, the whole shebang... you will get played. A lot. And people will like it anyway, as long as it's catchy. And if there is one thing Mika knows, it's how to make a catchy tune.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but at least that's how I perceive it here. Of course with unknown artists this is a bit more difficult. They have to actually want to interview you :naughty: but this can't be a problem for Mika :wink2:

I feel weird about all of this. I am kind of worried that Mika's not gonna be like before, but in the other side, I am confident that Mika did a super job, and so many good reviews are comming. So I am CONFUSED :blink: We'll just wait :)

Andy just tweeted:

Going crazy for the new Mika and Nick Littlemore collaborations. This is shaping up to be one of the best albums I've heard in a long time!

It's not exactly news but I like reading enthusiastic tweets like that :biggrin2:

GETS ME ALL EXCITED AHHHHH :biggrin2:

I feel the same, but was reluctant to express my feelings. Mika is so excited, and so are everybody else here, that I decided to keep my fears by myself :aah:

Edit: I just thought, maybe he will start showing the new material after Cannes? After such a good promotion? It's a great time for a new video, uh?

I thought the SAME thing! I hope so :o ! That's why I am waiting for this day so impatiently !

Well, over here it still has to do more with promo and media exposure than anything else :dunno: If you go to enough radio stations, come on tv, the whole shebang... you will get played. A lot. And people will like it anyway, as long as it's catchy. And if there is one thing Mika knows, it's how to make a catchy tune.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but at least that's how I perceive it here. Of course with unknown artists this is a bit more difficult. They have to actually want to interview you :naughty: but this can't be a problem for Mika :wink2:

Same thing with Australia... Both times Mika has come here for shows, he's gotten a fair bit of exposure and radioplay, but after a while of no concerts or anything like that, it all dies down (last time it died down quicker than the first time).

Then again, he does pretty well when there's very little promotion for the album and singles here (though I did learn that TBWKTM peaked at number 10 in the charts, that's not too bad).

This was in Mikasounds and Twitter Update Thread (Part 9).

From @blackwatchsound

discussing the finer points of drip coffee techniques with @JulersBananers and @mikasounds while @rocketella snoozes.

10 Jan

You know you're having fun when every song you're working on gets stuck in your head. In the good way.

1 hour ago

From @JulersBananers

Highlight of my day: being sung "You're the One That I Want" from Grease by @mikasounds. In his greaser outfit. Slicked back hair. Too cute.

12 Jan

I'm not sure is Mika working with these people, but it definitely sounds so, and that's a possible piece of a puzzle.

@blackwatchsound is Ian MacGregor, by his own words "Echo Park, Los Angeles

taco enthusiast, pro audio circuit designer, engineer for producer @greg_wells, guitar player, & fan of getting weird. I also co-own Standard Audio.

http://www.standard-audio.com" So this guy is the most probable engineer for the new album.

@JulersBananers is Julianne Lackey, no idea who she is;

@rocketella is famous around here, and a sign that Greg is around :aah: