2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

Christine, I can understand that and experienced it myself: in the past I was a member of a religious group and we wanted to save the world :wink2:

I think I find this the most intolerable aspect of Christianity. This need to force your beliefs onto others. The west is now outraged that African nations are sanctioning gaybashing but it is our missionairies who have filled the heads of these people with all this hatred and a belief that god is on their side in order to justify and promote their actions.

I'm not a believer, just a human being who thinks she's nothing more than a link in a chain and tries to live peacefully and respectfully.

Amen. :wink2:

But one of the most beautiful parts of any song I've ever heard is the part in Origin, where Mika sings "Thank God you found me." Now that is a true prayer and he's thanking God for giving him his wonderful lover.

I also find this line very tender and it's one of my favourites in the song. I don't think there is any conflict with the other line about "god will do nothing to stop". I think the lines about Adam and Eve etc. are about this Old Testament god that doesn't exist in Mika's mind except as a vehicle for churches and men to control other men. The god that brought Mika to the one he loves is the god he believes in. That everyone should believe in if they are so inclined to accept some kind of divinity into their life. (Just my interpretation of course. :wink2:)

I do not want to be more free. Not one didn't impose me religion. I myself come.

No thought was forced upon me.

Everyone is born an atheist. Someone has convinced you of your very specific beliefs about things like homosexuality because you were not born believing these things. I was never exposed to Christianity as a child so I do not have Christian beliefs and I never could. If you had grown up in a different religious environment you would have different beliefs.

I can't even begin to understand how or why anyone would willingly embrace the idea that god wants us to live lives of self denial and misery instead of experiencing love and happiness (or "doing what we want" as you put it). Mika is leading an amazingly blessed life filled with good fortune and the love of everyone around him. If god is not on his side then I'm not sure how you reconcile that, especially when there is so much misery in the world.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lena: "Shame to say this words about all religions because this do not tally with the desire to live as you want. I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save . Doctors, rescuers and firefighters are my heroes.I condemn abortion. It is impossible to live in peace and know that you killed your child. It will forever remain in your memory. This weakness will not atone for any prayers."

It's not what I meant, Lena :huglove:: I don't consider religion as preventing me from living the life I want. My friends are muslims, catholics, protestants or non believers. I want people to live the way they've chosen and respect others' choices. I can be regarded as a lost soul or lost sheep by some believers. but I tend to think we share the same values on the whole: you don't steal, you don't kill, etc.

As far as blood transfusion is concerned, it's a witness of Jove who told me that. :thumb_yello: I'm happy to learn you're a blood donor because people like you saved my life nearly 11 years ago.

I was struck by the fact that almost no one has any faith in God. This discovery for me. I could not even imagine this. This is similar to our Revolution when churches were burned. You can jump on the icons, or throw them in the trash as unnecessary? or did you realize that impossible do it? Just wondering how far this has gone...

for me personally i can say that god is the same for me like any other fairytales of my childhood. as a child i believed in santa claus, in fairies and monsters, and in god (i was brought up catholic). of course you will say it's not the same, but for me there's no difference, except that the belief that there's a god is widely accepted, and the belief that there are fairies isn't. at some point i learned to believe only in things that i can see or feel or for which there is a scientific explanation.

i never really thought about *why* this is like it is, but laurel's post made me think that bullying might indeed have been a reason. as a child your life depends on other people, you trust your family that they protect you, and where they can't, maybe you trust god that he does. but when something bad happens to you that no one can protect you from, not even your prayers, and you absolutely fail to see the meaning of why this happened, even keeps happening again and again, then you might lose your faith. :dunno:

of course the fact that i don't believe in god doesn't mean i want to burn churches or support this in any way, it's absolutely not the same! churches for me are beautiful buildings, they have a special atmosphere, and i totally respect and understand that those who believe in god love those places and that this atmosphere and their prayers there make them feel calm and better.

maybe there is some sort of higher power, we all still know too little about this world to be absolutely sure. but the god i was taught about in my childhood doesn't exist for me, those are nothing but fairytale stories for me. :wink2:

I can't even begin to understand how or why anyone would willingly embrace the idea that god wants us to live lives of self denial and misery instead of experiencing love and happiness (or "doing what we want" as you put it). Mika is leading an amazingly blessed life filled with good fortune and the love of everyone around him. If god is not on his side then I'm not sure how you reconcile that, especially when there is so much misery in the world.
well, if you have been taught to believe that as the ultimate truth since you were born, you accept it as a fact and don't even question it Edited by mari62

for me personally i can say that god is the same for me like any other fairytales of my childhood. as a child i believed in santa claus, in fairies and monsters, and in god (i was brought up catholic). of course you will say it's not the same, but for me there's no difference, except that the belief that there's a god is widely accepted, and the belief that there are fairies isn't. at some point i learned to believe only in things that i can see or feel or for which there is a scientific explanation.

i never really thought about *why* this is like it is, but laurel's post made me think that bullying might indeed have been a reason. as a child your life depends on other people, you trust your family that they protect you, and where they can't, maybe you trust god that he does. but when something bad happens to you that no one can protect you from, not even your prayers, and you absolutely fail to see the meaning of why this happened, even keeps happening again and again, then you might lose your faith. :dunno:

of course the fact that i don't believe in god doesn't mean i want to burn churches or support this in any way, it's absolutely not the same! churches for me are beautiful buildings, they have a special atmosphere, and i totally respect and understand that those who believe in god love those places and that this atmosphere and their prayers there make them feel calm and better.

maybe there is some sort of higher power, we all still know too little about this world to be absolutely sure. but the god i was taught about in my childhood doesn't exist for me, those are nothing but fairytale stories for me. :wink2:

I totally agree with the bolded parts.

I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save...

Well, Mika has already been saved by his gay lover so perhaps it is best to find someone you know in real life who would appreciate being saved.

Yes! I'm happy! Finally I can say "yes!" when people ask me if he's gay :naughty:

:mf_rosetinted:

thats true. I remember people asked me that too.

But actually it doesnt change anything to me.:aah::mf_rosetinted:

Lena, everyone of us is influenced by education (family, school) and environment, society; so most of our thoughts and beliefs are not really ours but other people's.

The moment we realize that, we can change the ones which don't represent us, although it's not easy because they are absorbed at a subconscious level, what our conscious mind is not aware of.

Everyone is born an atheist. Someone has convinced you of your very specific beliefs about things like homosexuality because you were not born believing these things. I was never exposed to Christianity as a child so I do not have Christian beliefs and I never could. If you had grown up in a different religious environment you would have different beliefs.

I just saw in my childhood, as my grandmother was crossing herself ... I derided her. But she only wept silently. Nobody taught me to believe. It was a different time. The country was atheistic.

--------

I can not speak to you as openly as you say. You can, because you are free. Nothing keeps your to denounce of religion. I feel the bleak emptiness of those words. But I almost can not say anything in response. I have to think before you write. Because I am not free to express my thoughts to you. Even if I don't accuse, attack, threaten Gehenna of fire and desire of bad things. ( And I never wished this for Mika ). Even the fact that I feel peacefully and I do not feel any anger, only regret. I am not free, not only because of my religion, but because of your attitude towards it. I'm afraid to offend. But no matter what I said, I'm a homophobe for you. But now for me not hurt to read it. Thank God I'm set to good. I do not even see if someone criticized me or deride. It is during these few days I felt better and spiritually stronger. I was able to cope with strong indignation, with a sorrowful thoughts, with the desire to kill myself. * I hope that I manage. And it happened because I was in the church these days. Not after how he gave the "Celebrate" and said of himself but before I heard these news.

well, if you have been taught to believe that as the ultimate truth since you were born, you accept it as a fact and don't even question it

Yes that it what I mean. I don't believe anyone would willingly choose these beliefs as an adult because they are masochistic and unnatural. No one is going to spend their childhood free of these ideas and then suddenly decide as an adult that everything that they do is being watched and judged by some malevolent force who will sentence them to an eternity in hell if they follow their natural instincts and do the things that make them happy. It could only be the result of a lifetime of cultural and religious conditioning or some serious psychological disorder like schizophrenia.

Shame to say this words about all religions because this do not tally with the desire to live as you want. I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save . Doctors, rescuers and firefighters are my heroes.I condemn abortion. It is impossible to live in peace and know that you killed your child. It will forever remain in your memory. This weakness will not atone for any prayers.

I felt a discrepancy here.

"God will do nothing to stop it"

"Thank God you found me." It caught my eye immediately.

But I'm pleased your words.

------------

I was struck by the fact that almost no one has any faith in God. This discovery for me. I could not even imagine this. This is similar to our Revolution when churches were burned. You can jump on the icons, or throw them in the trash as unnecessary? or did you realize that impossible do it? Just wondering how far this has gone...

Lena I can tell you are upset. But Jesus taught tolerance. He preached against judgement. For example: "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

We are all sinners, we are all imperfect and it doesn't do to judge one thing as being worse than others. This is what the Church does, and it causes a lot of damage.

Let's just imagine that Mika decided to try and conform to his church, by getting married to a woman, as the church would have him do.

How long would it be before that marraige ended, because he could not love her the way she deserved, or needed, him to love her. If they'd had children, then the children would also be hurt. That's like his Billy Brown song. Where he seems to have everything he needs, but can't help falling for another man and breaking apart his "perfect family"

So though Mika could have gone down that route, he didn't because it wouldn't have been right. It was wrong for Oscar Wilde, it would be wrong for Mika too.

Many gay men (and probably women too) have gone down the route of trying to marry themselves straight. It just doesn't work since people don't choose to be gay. Years ago men went to jail for being gay, so they wouldn't choose it for themselves.

I've said before that you have had this idealised idea of Mika. I don't say it to be mean to you. I could always see this coming. That he'd fall for someone and you'd be hurt. But think of it this way...

We're his fans. We see the best of Mika always. We see the man who sings to us and signs our stuff with a smile. We don't see the man who wakes up in a bad mood, or maybe snaps at someone because he's feeling cranky. His boyfriend will have a much different view of Mika than we have. Because Mika is just an ordinary guy. Not some sainted image.

So I think you should just love the Mika we all see, and let Mika-the-ordinary-guy live his private life, without any judgement.

Jesus loved prostitutes. He probably knew a few gay people too and loved them anyway. Remember that he died for all of us, not just certain ones of us. Church rules are man-made and nothing to do with Jesus. If you can think of it like that, you may feel much better. I hope so.

I do not want to be more free. Not one didn't impose me religion. I myself come.

No thought was forced upon me.

I wanted to post a reaction but Christine summed it up just the way I feel it:

But I was, on the other hand, raised Roman Catholic. But I 'quit' because I see the world is born from evolution, not 'made by (a) god'.

Guys, tell me please: is this magazine a reliable and respectable? I wonder why he had chosen exactly this magazine? And I wonder can it be that his words are changed in some way, or journalist should give the interview for checking by Mika's agency?

Lena: "Shame to say this words about all religions because this do not tally with the desire to live as you want. I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save . Doctors, rescuers and firefighters are my heroes.I condemn abortion. It is impossible to live in peace and know that you killed your child. It will forever remain in your memory. This weakness will not atone for any prayers."

It's not what I meant, Lena :huglove:: I don't consider religion as preventing me from living the life I want. My friends are muslims, catholics, protestants or non believers. I want people to live the way they've chosen and respect others' choices. I can be regarded as a lost soul or lost sheep by some believers. but I tend to think we share the same values on the whole: you don't steal, you don't kill, etc.

As far as blood transfusion is concerned, it's a witness of Jove who told me that. :thumb_yello: I'm happy to learn you're a blood donor because people like you saved my life nearly 11 years ago.

We have always lived side by side with Muslims. I do not see them as outsiders. I am friendly to any religion. Because, no matter the name , God is one.

I am happy to give my blood. I would gladly gave my organs, if they could grow again. And of course, I would not choose who will get it and who does not:wink2:

Thank you for your reply! Russian Grandfather Frost is fairytale for me). But if it sounds like Santa Claus ... I should look for one who is holy Claus ...)

When something bad happens to me, it is with God easier for me to carry it. God not just saved me and but gave strength me. He saved me from desperate deeds, and in fear. He is my censor. If I do something bad, then I'm very experiencing. Because I feel as if someone said to me: "Don't do this, don't. This is bad. You'll be sorry ." And yes. I am sorry that I "shut my ears". Who supports me now? God.

Well, Mika has already been saved by his gay lover so perhaps it is best to find someone you know in real life who would appreciate being saved.

You can not imagine how it looks in the translation.

Guys, tell me please: is this magazine a reliable and respectable? I wonder why he had chosen exactly this magazine? And I wonder can it be that his words are changed in some way, or journalist should give the interview for checking by Mika's agency?

Why would his words be changed in any other way? He said he was in love with a man. I highly doubt that he said he was pretty straight and they thought: "Noooo! You are gay Mika and we are going to put these words into your mouth!"

:wink2:

I just saw in my childhood, as my grandmother was crossing herself ... I derided her. But she only wept silently. Nobody taught me to believe. It was a different time. The country was atheistic.

We are talking about cultural conditioning and not just religious conditioning. Did the communist society accept homosexuality?

Even the fact that I feel peacefully and I do not feel any anger, only regret. I am not free, not only because of my religion, but because of your attitude towards it. I'm afraid to offend. But no matter what I said, I'm a homophobe for you.

I don't agree with the things you say Lena but I believe that you are not saying things to hurt people. But I think we need to talk about this because you should understand how much these ideas DO hurt people.

You have this cynical belief that Mika is only speaking out publicly because he wants to sell records. But every celebrity who has come out in the past year has said that they have done it because so many children are killing themselves. Children are being bullied and harassed and driven to suicide by people who think homosexuality is wrong. Even if you would never do that the idea that homosexuality is wrong is the reason why this happens. Even telling someone that they need to be saved and should change their behaviour could provoke those feelings of despair because everyone wants to feel loved and accepted for who they are.

You said yourself if there is nothing to be ashamed of then why do people hide? Well the time has come for people in the public spotlight, like Mika, to come out and say that they are proud of who they are and that there is no shame in being gay. If these kids who are struggling with thoughts of suicide can see that there are other gay people out there who are proud of who they are and their friends and family (and fans) are also proud of who they are, then hopefully they will find the strength to get past the bullying and go on to lead a long and happy life, just as Mika is doing.

No one is going to change your mind for you Lena but I hope that you will at least consider the possibility that what you believe is not necessarily the absolute truth. You do not have to give up god and Christianity to open your mind about homosexuality. Greg Wells' father was a Christian minister and he did not judge as your church does. There are plenty of people, including Mika who have realized that these manmade rules have nothing to do with god or the teachings of Jesus.

Why would his words be changed in any other way? He said he was in love with a man. I highly doubt that he said he was pretty straight and they thought: "Noooo! You are gay Mika and we are going to put these words into your mouth!"

:wink2:

You know, after chopping wood at midnight I doubt everything! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

No, I´m just interesting if it´s not a tabloid... I´m interesting how this journalist kitchen works.

i don´t doubt the whole idea, I´m just wondering if they used to print exact words.

You know, after chopping wood at midnight I doubt everything! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

No, I´m just interesting if it´s not a tabloid... I´m interesting how this journalist kitchen works.

i don´t doubt the whole idea, I´m just wondering if they used to print exact words.

I think this time you are totally wrong honey. Don`t search for any other truth there. It doesn`t matter now what tabloid or a newspaper published Mika`s words. He said things aloud in London Heaven. That`s it. Please accept the reality. If you don`t - then how do you live in this world ? We are not living if we cannot accept reality. We suffer and we hurt ourselves. I care for what you say so much, I don`t want you to deceive yourself.

It is not a tragedy what happened . Syrian civil war is a tragedy now, imo.

I am on vacation right now, and don't want to read everything back. I just want to say I'm proud of Mika, am proud to be his fan. Saw him perform in Tienen, Belgium last week and saw a very happy Mika. That made me happy.

We are talking about cultural conditioning and not just religious conditioning. Did the communist society accept homosexuality?

I don't agree with the things you say Lena but I believe that you are not saying things to hurt people. But I think we need to talk about this because you should understand how much these ideas DO hurt people.

You have this cynical belief that Mika is only speaking out publicly because he wants to sell records. But every celebrity who has come out in the past year has said that they have done it because so many children are killing themselves. Children are being bullied and harassed and driven to suicide by people who think homosexuality is wrong. Even if you would never do that the idea that homosexuality is wrong is the reason why this happens. Even telling someone that they need to be saved and should change their behaviour could provoke those feelings of despair because everyone wants to feel loved and accepted for who they are.

You said yourself if there is nothing to be ashamed of then why do people hide? Well the time has come for people in the public spotlight, like Mika, to come out and say that they are proud of who they are and that there is no shame in being gay. If these kids who are struggling with thoughts of suicide can see that there are other gay people out there who are proud of who they are and their friends and family (and fans) are also proud of who they are, then hopefully they will find the strength to get past the bullying and go on to lead a long and happy life, just as Mika is doing.

No one is going to change your mind for you Lena but I hope that you will at least consider the possibility that what you believe is not necessarily the absolute truth. You do not have to give up god and Christianity to open your mind about homosexuality. Greg Wells' father was a Christian minister and he did not judge as your church does. There are plenty of people, including Mika who have realized that these manmade rules have nothing to do with god or the teachings of Jesus.

I did not notice the communist way of life. We had socialist, by the way. Really you think, I had as a child thinking about men and sexual relations with them?? I played with dolls up to 12 years.

In 18 years, I came across the word "homosexuality" and could not understand what these things mean. Everything. The next meet with the theme was in 2008-2009.

I am just can not understand how children became homosexuals.

I do not understand how children can be in bed with someone. They are children!

Lena I can tell you are upset. But Jesus tolerance. He preached against judgement. For example: "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

We are all sinners, we are all imperfect and it doesn't do to judge one thing as being worse than others. This is what the Church does, and it causes a lot of damage.

Let's just imagine that Mika decided to try and conform to his church, by getting married to a woman, as the church would have him do.

How long would it be before that marraige ended, because he could not love her the way she deserved, or needed, him to love her. If they'd had children, then the children would also be hurt. That's like his Billy Brown song. Where he seems to have everything he needs, but can't help falling for another man and breaking apart his "perfect family"

So though Mika could have gone down that route, he didn't because it wouldn't have been right. It was wrong for Oscar Wilde, it would be wrong for Mika too.

Many gay men (and probably women too) have gone down the route of trying to marry themselves straight. It just doesn't work since people don't choose to be gay. Years ago men went to jail for being gay, so they wouldn't choose it for themselves.

I've said before that you have had this idealised idea of Mika. I don't say it to be mean to you. I could always see this coming. That he'd fall for someone and you'd be hurt. But think of it this way...

We're his fans. We see the best of Mika always. We see the man who sings to us and signs our stuff with a smile. We don't see the man who wakes up in a bad mood, or maybe snaps at someone because he's feeling cranky. His boyfriend will have a much different view of Mika than we have. Because Mika is just an ordinary guy. Not some sainted image.

So I think you should just love the Mika we all see, and let Mika-the-ordinary-guy live his private life, without any judgement.

Jesus loved prostitutes. He probably knew a few gay people too and loved them anyway. Remember that he died for all of us, not just certain ones of us. Church rules are man-made and nothing to do with Jesus. If you can think of it like that, you may feel much better. I hope so.

Maybe Jesus taught to leniency ... to patience? Turning upside down

Once I tried to imagine how much I love Mika?. What I did not turn away from him? I apologize in advance. I imagined him so and I thought if I love him so? The feeling of love did not go off from: bald, poor, abandoned by all, drunken, dirty, in a puddle of urine, vomit, a murderer, a disability, kooky, drug addict, a womanizer, lecher. Only there was no homosexuality. I even did not have the mind to think about it. I did not notice such things at all.

Yes, Jesus died for us all. To be betrayed again, apparently so ...

I'm sorry. It's hard for me English lessons. It's hard express thoughts in a foreign language. Very many lot of reading, writing and translating.

Edited by Lena

I did not notice the communist way of life. We had socialist, by the way. Really you think, I had as a child thinking about men and sexual relations with them?? I played with dolls up to 12 years.

In 18 years, I came across the word "homosexuality" and could not understand what these things mean. Everything. The next meet with the theme was in 2008-2009.

Maybe Jesus taught to leniency ... to patience? Turning upside down

Once I tried to imagine how much I love Mika?. What I did not turn away from him? I apologize in advance. I imagined him so and I thought if I love him so? The feeling of love did not go off from: bald, poor, abandoned by all, drunken, dirty, in a puddle of urine, vomit, a murderer, a disability, kooky, drug addict, a womanizer, lecher. Only there was no homosexuality. I even did not have the mind to think about it. I did not notice such things at all.

Yes, Jesus died for us all. To be betrayed again, apparently so ...

I'm sorry. It's hard for me English lessons. It's hard express thoughts in a foreign language. Very many lot of reading, writing and translating.

So you'd love a murderer but not a homosexual??:shocked:

A murderer chooses to do something criminal, a homosexual is just who is he is!

I must say I admire your strenght to put all this discusion in a foreign language. I know from experience it is very difficult:thumb_yello:

Edited by AnnaMariaPetra

No one is having sex with children! :shocked: That's not what I am talking about.

You're right Lena, it is extremely difficult to have this conversation when there is a language barrier. :no:

We can still talk about this in private if you want but I think I've said all I can say on a public forum. This is a sensitive subject and I don't want people to be hurt by anything that is said here.

Mika's happiness makes me happy and I hope you can find a way to come to peace with it. :huglove:

Since I posted the original item the other day, I guess I've made no additional comments

on it -- that's not to say that I don't have an opinion, just that I do allow

myself to have an unexpressed thought now and then. :naughty:

Still, I've just been reading along, with much interest, to the discussions

that have arisen here, and I'm happy to note that while it's been heated at

times, for the most part everyone has been very respectful. When the item

first popped up I hesitated for a minute before deciding to post it -- like I

think Yuna said, I knew it would spark a lot of debate and perhaps cause

some disillusionment for a certain segment of the fans here. But it was from a

reputable source, and I think it's

healthy for us to discuss this -- it's certainly a topic that has been the

center of a lot of controversy in the past, so maybe we can talk it all out

and then move on. :crossed:

As I've said before privately if not here on MFC, there are so many OTHER

things I find MORE interesting about Mika than who he's sleeping with --

especially now, with the new album about to be released and a new tour on

the horizon. I can't wait to sink my teeth into talking about THAT. :thumb_yello: