2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had to add my voice - congrats Mika! :clap: this isn't anything we've seen from him before, so even if it's not a surprise, it's good that he is comfortable.

I'm a bit surprised that he didn't say it sooner ...!

I can understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would expect a stranger to welcome your judgement that they are a sinner and your attempts to save them. Regardless of what you think about homosexuality how can you expect this stranger to interpret that as love and not as an attack? If, for the sake of argument, Mika needs to be saved then that is the duty of his family, his friends, his church, etc. It is not a task for strangers who happen to buy his records and watch his performances.

Mika has put his work out there for public consumption and critique but he doesn't even care what we think of his clothes, muchless who he chooses to date.

Christine, I can understand that and experienced it myself: in the past I was a member of a religious group and we wanted to save the world :wink2: Edited by mari62

I think we have to remember that for many of the world religions, homosexuality is seen as a sin, and that if you have accepted that religious belief all your life without question, it may be hard - or even impossible - for you to accept someone as openly homosexual without seeing them as sinful and needing to be saved. It requires a paradigm shift in your view of the world, and that's not easy to make.

Good point!

We are from so many different cultures and societies, we Mika fans!

When I first came to this forum I had a hard time to understand why we wasn't allowed to talk about whether Mika was gay or not, to me it was so obvious, and it wasn't, to me, a big deal at all. Just a sweet thing amongst other cute things that was a part of this interesting man who mad so fascinating music.:wub2:

But I had to realise that people around the world had other views on this!

I can understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would expect a stranger to welcome your judgement that they are a sinner and your attempts to save them. Regardless of what you think about homosexuality how can you expect this stranger to interpret that as love and not as an attack? If, for the sake of argument, Mika needs to be saved then that is the duty of his family, his friends, his church, etc. It is not a task for strangers who happen to buy his records and watch his performances.

Mika has put his work out there for public consumption and critique but he doesn't even care what we think of his clothes, muchless who he chooses to date.

I agree of course!:thumb_yello:

But aren't you trying to find common sense where there isn't any?:banghead:

Just watched the video from Heaven where he came out. Am I the only one who thought that was the cutest thing ever??

Not the only one...:wub2:

Christine, I can understand that and experienced it myself: in the past I was a member of a religious group and we wanted to save the world :wink2:

And for that we are grateful:huglove: :wink2:

No, he is in a relationship right now. His ex boyfriend left him after five years around Paloma´s accident. But he is in love again.

Thats nice. He looks very happy lately..!!

I think we have to remember that for many of the world religions, homosexuality is seen as a sin, and that if you have accepted that religious belief all your life without question, it may be hard - or even impossible - for you to accept someone as openly homosexual without seeing them as sinful and needing to be saved. It requires a paradigm shift in your view of the world, and that's not easy to make.

This is the only non-judgmental statement of facts able show what I think. Do not convey , but at least a little bit to explain what I think. Thank you, Silver.

Christine, I can understand that and experienced it myself: in the past I was a member of a religious group and we wanted to save the world :wink2:

You should understand me at least "on the old memory"

You should understand me at least "on the old memory"
Yes, I can understand you at a certain extent, and I encourage you to research as I did; religions are made up by men, spirituality is something else and it's what really counts, we don't need all those rules, they don't come from God - or Cosmic Energy or whatever you want to call it -

Believe me Lena, this comprehension would set you free and you would live much better :wink2:

Edited by mari62

And for that we are grateful:huglove: :wink2:
I didn't succeed though :D

believe me, it's very hard and tough to free oneself from such a brainwash

you have to bring your whole life into question, and admit you were wrong

Edited by mari62

:D

That shows you're a really strong person, it takes a lot of courage to decide to question everything you ever believed for the sake of being a better person! I really admire people like you :thumb_yello:

That shows you're a really strong person, it takes a lot of courage to decide to question everything you ever believed for the sake of being a better person! I really admire people like you :thumb_yello:
I am thanks, and fortunately I have a strong husband as well, who helped me a LOT, I don't think I could have made it without him.

My goal wasn't to become a better person though, I just wanted to get over it and discover the 'truth' :wink2:

Edited by mari62

That's really a shame. For many religions, contraception or abortion are out of question too. Even blood transfusion sometimes. I was raised by a Catholic mum and respect all religions. But what makes me sad is that strong believers/very religious people (Jove's witnesses or Islamic or Catholic people) want to save me when I tell them I'm not a believer, just a human being who thinks she's nothing more than a link in a chain and tries to live peacefully and respectfully.

I didn't succeed though :D

I believe you! It has so much to do with what your upbringing forms you in to. Your parents and your closest family are the ones that influences you the most when you are young and affectable.

If you live in a community that is religious by tradition or not and so on. To rethink all that is a big step!:thumb_yello:

I am thanks, and fortunately I have a strong husband as well, who helped me a LOT, I don't think I could have made it without him.

My goal wasn't to become a better person though, I just wanted to get over it and discover the 'truth' :wink2:

Whatever the true is:wink2: if you ever find it...please call me!:naughty:

I think it's worth pointing out that Mika is not a non-believer either. He just doesn't accept all the teachings of the church he was raised with. Just as 6 billion other people on this planet don't accept that church's teachings.

I agree with that. I believe Mika has faith. If he didn't believe in God he wouldn't be upset with the church's teachings. But one of the most beautiful parts of any song I've ever heard is the part in Origin, where Mika sings "Thank God you found me." Now that is a true prayer and he's thanking God for giving him his wonderful lover. It's not about the physical side of his relationship in my view, it's about the love and support his boyfriend gives to him, that has influenced his music and his life.

He's admitted that he was in a dark place. He couldn't write, everything had gone wrong. He previous lover left him and Paloma nearly died. But someone came along and lifted him out of his despair and gave him new hope and inspiration.

I'm so grateful to this man for being there for Mika and making him so happy.

Also, I've never hidden the fact that I'm a Christian. But I also own a brain and I use it. I don't let any church tell me what to think, I go with my own heart and mind.

The Bible is a translated text, and anyone who translates, puts their own spin on things. Plus, there are many things the Bible says is wrong. Even having sex outside of marraige is considered a sin, but no one thinks that these days. Yet the church condemms someone who is in-love with a member of his own gender, even though that same love has enriched the person and made him whole, so that Mika can now say "Thank God you found me."

I thank God this man found Mika. Without him, we would not be looking forward to the album, which is inspired by the man Mika loves.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I agree with that. I believe Mika has faith. If he didn't believe in God he wouldn't be upset with the church's teachings. But one of the most beautiful parts of any song I've ever heard is the part in Origin, where Mika sings "Thank God you found me." Now that is a true prayer and he's thanking God for giving him his wonderful lover. It's not about the physical side of his relationship in my view, it's about the love and support his boyfriend gives to him, that has influenced his music and his life.

He's admitted that he was in a dark place. He couldn't write, everything had gone wrong. He previous lover left him and Paloma nearly died. But someone came along and lifted him out of his despair and gave him new hope and inspiration.

Also, I've never hidden the fact that I'm a Christian. But I also own a brain and I use it. I don't let any church tell me what to think, I go with my own heart and mind.

The Bible is a translated text, and anyone who translates, puts their own spin on things. Plus, there are many things the Bible says is wrong. Even having sex outside of marraige is considered a sin, but no one thinks that these days. Yet the church condemms someone who is in-love with a member of his own gender, even though that same love has enriched the person and made him whole, so that Mika can now say "Thank God you found me."

I thank God he found this man. Without him, we would not be looking forward to the album, which is inspired by the man Mika loves.

That was amazingly well said!

I thank God this man found Mika. Without him, we would not be looking forward to the album, which is inspired by the man Mika loves.

Beautifully written ... couldn't have summed it up better myself ... :thumb_yello:

And you know ... kind of a moot point ... but I did go to church when I was young ... and I loved it ... I was in the Salvation Army choir ... I went every Sunday - I loved those stories - those teachings ... I bought into it completely ... but from the age of 7 to the day I left school at 15 - I was bullied ... beyond belief ... I ended up withdrawn and nearly suicidal towards the end of it ... I won't go into details here but it was bad ... and due to that I lost my faith ... I lost any thought that there was a God looking out for me .... I've never believed in it since ... I can't ... it was kicked out of me ... but due to that I don't judge people ... I won't ... I can't ... :dunno:

Whatever the true is:wink2: if you ever find it...please call me!:naughty:
:naughty: of course the truth can be subjective, what is true to me, cannot be true to you, although IMO there can be 'universal' truths like the one Sabine wrote for instance :wink2:

The rules of the church were made by human beings who wanted to rule other people and the rules were made thousands of years ago and don´t suit to the world today. So the church turned into an institution which want to make profit out of the people and I´m so sorry for all the people who feel bad and guilty because they can´t live with those stupid rules. The only rules which are important are the ten rules God gave the humans and not what church made out of it!

Yes, I can understand you at a certain extent, and I encourage you to research as I did; religions are made up by men, spirituality is something else and it's what really counts, we don't need all those rules, they don't come from God - or Cosmic Energy or whatever you want to call it -

Believe me Lena, this comprehension would set you free and you would live much better :wink2:

I do not want to be more free. Not one didn't impose me religion. I myself come.

No thought was forced upon me.

Yay, you go Mika! Can't be more pleased for you!

And as much as I would like to comment on the religious themes running through this thread, I think I'll resist (for the record I am Catholic, but I do disagree with a fair bit of what the church says - homosexuality in particular).

I heard a podcast recently that was an interview with a comedian about my age. Even though he was out to all his friends and family he was making his first public declaration during the interview and it was very interesting to hear him discuss all his fears and anxiety about the whole situation. Intellectually he knew he was doing the right thing. He had decided to come forward because of the epidemic of gay suicides. But it still provoked a lot of anxiety.

Funny that you mention the comedian Christine, it reminded me of Zachary Quinto. He came out to the public last year after hearing of a boy that committed suicide because he was gay.

This is the death of our long "Mika's entertaining a lady in..."threads...I'm sad....:naughty:

Oooooh, damn it! I loved those threads!

Although, we might eventually be able to create a "Mika's entertaining a dude in..." thread :teehee:

"I wrote this song after a long time not writing anything. It talks about my life, it talks about the church, it talks about falling in love and it talks about being happy and proud about falling in love with whoever you fall in love with, even if it's a man. So in a way, this is my statement and my thank you. To the man I love. " :wub2:

ZOMG, that's just too cute! :fangurl:

Beautifully written ... couldn't have summed it up better myself ... :thumb_yello:

And you know ... kind of a moot point ... but I did go to church when I was young ... and I loved it ... I was in the Salvation Army choir ... I went every Sunday - I loved those stories - those teachings ... I bought into it completely ... but from the age of 7 to the day I left school at 15 - I was bullied ... beyond belief ... I ended up withdrawn and nearly suicidal towards the end of it ... I won't go into details here but it was bad ... and due to that I lost my faith ... I lost any thought that there was a God looking out for me .... I've never believed in it since ... I can't ... it was kicked out of me ... but due to that I don't judge people ... I won't ... I can't ... :dunno:

That's terrible Laurel. :huglove:

Beautifully written, Marilyn. I find the ending of The Origin Of Love especially touching for the the reasons you just described. It sounds like coming from his heart :wub2:

@mari Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, you are a very strong person :huglove:

Edited by tiibet

That's really a shame. For many religions, contraception or abortion are out of question too. Even blood transfusion sometimes. I was raised by a Catholic mum and respect all religions. But what makes me sad is that strong believers/very religious people (Jove's witnesses or Islamic or Catholic people) want to save me when I tell them I'm not a believer, just a human being who thinks she's nothing more than a link in a chain and tries to live peacefully and respectfully.

Shame to say this words about all religions because this do not tally with the desire to live as you want. I do not know what religion forbids blood transfusions. There are many sects. I'm not with them. I am a blood donor. Religion does not forbid me to donate blood. But if it is banned, then I would still be a blood donor. Because this saves more lives. But friends and relatives say, that I ceased to be a donor. It is possible that I have strayed to the rescue. I always wanted someone to save . Doctors, rescuers and firefighters are my heroes.I condemn abortion. It is impossible to live in peace and know that you killed your child. It will forever remain in your memory. This weakness will not atone for any prayers.

I felt a discrepancy here.

"God will do nothing to stop it"

"Thank God you found me." It caught my eye immediately.

But I'm pleased your words.

------------

I was struck by the fact that almost no one has any faith in God. This discovery for me. I could not even imagine this. This is similar to our Revolution when churches were burned. You can jump on the icons, or throw them in the trash as unnecessary? or did you realize that impossible do it? Just wondering how far this has gone...

I believe Mika has faith. If he didn't believe in God he wouldn't be upset with .

There are a lot of non-Christians who are deeply upset about some of tbe teachings of the church. Mika may have faith but he may not call any particular religion his own and I don't think he fully accepts the teachings of any church.

He wrote earlier about loving the rituals of the Catholic / Maronite church and I could relate to that until recently when I happened to take part in a Catholic Christianing ceremony where the priest asked Reformist people present not to hold the baby during the ceremony..:shocked:. I mean, it is about nothing but identifying people they could exclude from their circles so that they can power control the rest by making them act according to their rules for fear of being excluded from the community. Yes, it takes strength to change the paradigm in your head like @silver pointed out earlier and there is also the option of not necessarily accepting everything that one is taught but coming up with one's own interpretation of it.

I do not want to be more free. Not one didn't impose me religion. I myself come.

No thought was forced upon me.

Lena, everyone of us is influenced by education (family, school) and environment, society; so most of our thoughts and beliefs are not really ours but other people's.

The moment we realize that, we can change the ones which don't represent us, although it's not easy because they are absorbed at a subconscious level, what our conscious mind is not aware of.

Edited by mari62