2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

Such A Manic Monday ..

Today, One online newspaper spotted the instinct mag translated ver on our Mika forum. They wrote that on their main page, posted it today, got thousands of view in few hours, got the main gate page on 3 biggest internet portal site, which 99% of Korean ppl uses for their internet, huge hit,

For the first time, Mika got the 1st place of 'Todays trend topic' in one of the biggest portal website, went up in No.5 on all biggest ones... the article is still getting thousands of views and hundreds of replies. Quite mixed feeling and emotions now... donno should I be happy, or sad, or angry..... :original:

He got that damn 'label' from today...

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such A Manic Monday ..

Today, One online newspaper spotted the instinct mag translated ver on our Mika forum. They wrote that on their main page, posted it today, got thousands of view in few hours, got the main gate page on 3 biggest internet portal site, which 99% of Korean ppl uses for their internet, huge hit,

For the first time, Mika got the 1st place of 'Todays trend topic' in one of the biggest portal website, went up in No.5 on all biggest ones... the article is still getting thousands of views and hundreds of replies. Quite mixed feeling and emotions now... donno should I be happy, or sad, or angry..... :original:

It's not a negative label. It's something he said himself in the interview, something he wanted to share with the world. How can it be a bad thing? You said about being angry... Are the reactions so judging?

I hope that next time he will be all over the Korean media with his new music :thumb_yello:

But actually feared about his openly coming out, cuz I thought he should take a risk to lose huge fan base after that...

If anyone stops being a fan of a musician because of who the musician loves, then they weren't much of a fan anyway. MIKA will never lose me as a fan. I love his voice, his music and his showmanship. His music makes me happy. His music makes me dance. There isn't enough of that in the world anymore. And that is why I am proud to be a MIKA fan!

It's not a negative label. It's something he said himself in the interview, something he wanted to share with the world. How can it be a bad thing? You said about being angry... Are the reactions so judging?

I hope that next time he will be all over the Korean media with his new music :thumb_yello:

I hate ppl describe and judge him as 'gay' , not just simply see him as 'Mika' :sad: Once Mika don't want to 'label' him. that must be the reason...

Some are good, some are bad..., some are debating each other on forum, some are encouraging him, some are insulting him... happy Mika can't understand Korean and can't see this mess :original:

If anyone stops being a fan of a musician because of who the musician loves, then they weren't much of a fan anyway. MIKA will never lose me as a fan. I love his voice, his music and his showmanship. His music makes me happy. His music makes me dance. There isn't enough of that in the world anymore. And that is why I am proud to be a MIKA fan!

Fans love him whoever he is, whoever he likes. But what's the definition of fans? when i said 'fans' , I meant some broad range of ppl, include some ppl who just know some songs of him and buying his album... :wink2:

:thumb_yello::wub2:

It will be okay Yuna. People will get over the shock and get on with their lives. It sounds like he has many supporters and he'll always go to Korea. Just hang in there! These dramas never last more than a few days even though it sometimes feel like months of your life. :aah:

The only thing that concerns me this story is that it's circulating now just with the teaser. No one really knows the entire context of what he said and by the time the entire article is published it's not going to be the top trending topic anymore. But I guess the headline was always going to be "Yeah I'm gay." regardless of context.

suzie and sephira, i think you both are right - and wrong at the same time:

oh really? So which part of my post is 'wrong' then since I don't think having gay role models and educating people are mutually exclusive. What I found illogical was to encourage 'educating people' about this topic yet shying away from meeting gay people in real life.

It will be okay Yuna. People will get over the shock and get on with their lives. It sounds like he has many supporters and he'll always go to Korea. Just hang in there! These dramas never last more than a few days even though it sometimes feel like months of your life. :aah:

The only thing that concerns me this story is that it's circulating now just with the teaser. No one really knows the entire context of what he said and by the time the entire article is published it's not going to be the top trending topic anymore. But I guess the headline was always going to be "Yeah I'm gay." regardless of context.

Agree with you Christine, and also worried about the same thing. We don't actually know what the article is saying or the tone for it (I just hope the teaser is not totally out of place).

Exactly. 'Yeah I'm gay' is headline on 21 newspapers! :eek:

We have a gay minister in Germany, everybody knew he was gay before he became a minister but he didn´t talk about it. Then when he was minister he married his boyfriend ( it´s possible in Germany since ten years ) and then he couldn´t do anything right anymore. He lost his position in his party and I think his carrier will be over soon. Maybe you heard his name somewhere it´s Guido Westerwelle.´

It´s a pitty but a fact that many people tolerate it as long as no one is talking about it. We have many very old people in Germany who will never accept Homosexuality as normal and I really hope the younger ones will change their mind.

Out now that nothing is done to the people themselves should come forward to seek to understand but they are intolerant persons who will not do this step, you must go to them but not in a sudden way by trying to impose your thinking.

you know, this 'gay men trying to impose their thinking' line reminds me of the language of uneducated bigots. Who would be able to make anyone gay who is not? This is nonsense and the more well-respected people come out the less we will hear such views.

Exactly. 'Yeah I'm gay' is headline on 21 newspapers! :eek:

Oh well, there's not much that can be done about it now. If Mika had come out as a gay artist from day one there would have never been any headlines. From what you've said about Korean attitudes it was helpful for him not to have that label in the beginning but it can't be avoided forever.

There's no way he could have any credibility discussing an album about his relationship and still use the line that he doesn't want to talk about his private life. I think especially in the US where everyone is expected to come out anyway.

Why do you think there is such a huge difference between him being bisexual and gay? I know it breaks some hearts but I don't understand the homophobia (insulting comments, etc.). If people are too homophobic to buy his albums then why didn't they care before?

I don't understand people. :aah:

It´s a pitty but a fact that many people tolerate it as long as no one is talking about it. We have many very old people in Germany who will never accept Homosexuality as normal and I really hope the younger ones will change their mind.

There are many in the older generation in Canada who are also homophobic, racist, etc. Old habits die hard. But our culture is such that political correctness prevails. That's why it's extremely important, at least in Canadian culture, that people are out in the public spotlight and in everyday life. It becomes very impolite and socially awkward and a threat to your job to make disparaging comments about minority groups.

You may never change the mentality of some of the older folks but this has a huge impact on younger people because they do not grow up hearing people disrespecting gays the way that I did when I was growing up. It took a long time to purge those ideas I'd grown up with.

Oh well, there's not much that can be done about it now. If Mika had come out as a gay artist from day one there would have never been any headlines. From what you've said about Korean attitudes it was helpful for him not to have that label in the beginning but it can't be avoided forever.

There's no way he could have any credibility discussing an album about his relationship and still use the line that he doesn't want to talk about his private life. I think especially in the US where everyone is expected to come out anyway.

Why do you think there is such a huge difference between him being bisexual and gay? I know it breaks some hearts but I don't understand the homophobia (insulting comments, etc.). If people are too homophobic to buy his albums then why didn't they care before?

I don't understand people. :aah:

It's not matter of bisexual and gay, but difference of 'He must be a gay' and "He is a gay'... actually quite a lot of ppl says 'it's one of the most not-surprising comming outs ever'.:teehee:

btw, am I weird, if I say I feel a bit sorry to some fans who loved mika from young girl's heart? and for some fans who are struggling now between their religious faith and being Mika fan? they say they are struggling to understand him but very confused and 'getting over it' now. I can't say any harsh word to them....... How should I answer to young fans, if they ask me like 'what is gay?' 'what is homophobia?' you know, in Korea 'any sexual thing' is very avoided and ppl are so much conservative about that..

Very complicated...even I can't describe more :aah:

It's not matter of bisexual and gay, but difference of 'He must be a gay' and "He is a gay'... actually quite a lot of ppl says 'it's one of the most not-surprising comming outs ever'.:teehee:

Really? :teehee:

My very first post on MFC in April 2007 was about how I was very impressed that Mika was just out there and totally unselfconscious about being gay. That he couldn't have made it any clearer unless he took an ad out in the New York Times. :naughty:

Anyway I really don't know what to advise you about the younglings. It sounds so different from Canadian culture where everyone is aware of gay issues in their teens. Mika says he loves a man so I guess that pretty much spells it out don't you think? :dunno:

Such A Manic Monday ..

I think it's great! If it was that people were spreading lies about Mika, I'd be very upset. But it's the truth and Mika knows what he's doing. Don't worry about it.

Look, if he looses fans, so what. I think he'll gain more than he looses, by his honesty.

But it's swings and roundabouts. Some people may go off him, because he's gay, or just because he's unavailable now, to young female fans. People have also been saying he's trying to get publicity for the new album. But those sensible people with more than two braincells in their heads, will realise that it's actually quite a gamble to come out of the closet just before an album comes out, because he might loose some fans because of it and they won't buy the album.

But as I said before. I think he'll gain in the end, and those that go away from him were probably no good anyway.

My very first post on MFC in April 2007 was about how I was very impressed that Mika was just out there and totally unselfconscious about being gay. That he couldn't have made it any clearer unless he took an ad out in the New York Times. :naughty:

Anyway I really don't know what to advise you about the younglings. It sounds so different from Canadian culture where everyone is aware of gay issues in their teens. Mika says he loves a man so I guess that pretty much spells it out don't you think? :dunno:

A bit put of topics but I was wondering something Christine: do you know ifQuebec is the only province that allow same-sex marriage?

Funny. Here no one in real life, TV, Radio dare mention 'gay', no one use 'gay code' as part of humor in life. :aah: No wonder some teens never heard about that and got confused.. :naughty: Wish parents are open enough to teach any sexual issue earlier than nowadays... :doh:

Saw this on HuffPost today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/mika-comes-out-gay_n_1746965.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009#slide=1128183

MIKA COMES OUT AS GAY:'This is my real life'

He's avoided questions about his personal life for years, but now, British pop singer Mika is going public about his sexuality in a new interview.

Mika, whose 2007 album "Life in Cartoon Motion" spawned the hits "Grace Kelly" and "Relax (Take It Easy)," reportedly confirms he's gay in the September issue of Instinct magazine.

"If you ask me am I gay, I say yeah," the Lebanese-born star, 28, told the magazine. "Are these songs about my relationship with a man? I say yeah. And it’s only through my music that I’ve found the strength to come to terms with my sexuality beyond the context of just my lyrics. This is my real life."

The eccentric performer and longtime gay fan favorite, whose musical style has been compared to the Bee Gees and the Scissor Sisters, had been the subject of ample media speculation for some time. In 2009, he reportedly told Dutch magazine Gay & Night that he was bisexual.

"I’ve never ever labeled myself," he is quoted by Pink News as having told the publication. "But having said that, I’ve never limited my life. I’ve never limited who I sleep with. …Call me whatever you want. Call me bisexual, if you need a term for me."

Mika's third album, "The Origin of Love," is due for release on Sept. 16 and includes collaborations with Pharrell Williams and William Orbit.

btw, am I weird, if I say I feel a bit sorry to some fans who loved mika from young girl's heart? and for some fans who are struggling now between their religious faith and being Mika fan? they say they are struggling to understand him but very confused and 'getting over it' now. I can't say any harsh word to them....... How should I answer to young fans, if they ask me like 'what is gay?' 'what is homophobia?' you know, in Korea 'any sexual thing' is very avoided and ppl are so much conservative about that..

Very complicated...even I can't describe more :aah:

It's already out there printed/written so how wrong can it be to explain the he is in love with a man? It's a very simple explanation :dunno:

Cultural differences are so huge it's almost impossible to understand. My youngest is 8 and he asked me years ago what the word "gay" means and I explained it as well as "equality". Actually, during our 2,5 hours drive yesterday we had a long discussion (with hubby and my 14 yo) about equality, homophobia and also women's situation in different countries and it felt just perfectly natural :aah:

I think it's great! If it was that people were spreading lies about Mika, I'd be very upset. But it's the truth and Mika knows what he's doing. Don't worry about it.

Look, if he looses fans, so what. I think he'll gain more than he looses, by his honesty.

But it's swings and roundabouts. Some people may go off him, because he's gay, or just because he's unavailable now, to young female fans. People have also been saying he's trying to get publicity for the new album. But those sensible people with more than two braincells in their heads, will realise that it's actually quite a gamble to come out of the closet just before an album comes out, because he might loose some fans because of it and they won't buy the album.

But as I said before. I think he'll gain in the end, and those that go away from him were probably no good anyway.

Yeah should be happy and celebrate for that, cuz he's on papers and it's truth. But you know what...I feel like seeing Mika just thrown away to the river full of piranhas.... 'thoughtless and stupid' piranhas, also known as 'random netizens' who profession is just insulting celebs about their key issues' :sneaky2:

A bit put of topics but I was wondering something Christine: do you know ifQuebec is the only province that allow same-sex marriage?

No, Ontario was the first place in North America same sex marriages were recognized because the Ontario Supreme Court ruled that it was in violation of the Charter of Rights to deny people the right to marry. By 2005 the Civil Marriage Act was implemented at the federal level so it's legal in all of Canada.

It's already out there printed/written so how wrong can it be to explain the he is in love with a man? It's a very simple explanation :dunno:

Cultural differences are so huge it's almost impossible to understand. My youngest is 8 and he asked me years ago what the word "gay" means and I explained it as well as "equality". Actually, during our 2,5 hours drive yesterday we had a long discussion (with hubby and my 14 yo) about equality, homophobia and also women's situation in different countries and it felt just perfectly natural :aah:

You're a good mother. when I become a mother, I'll do like that too :thumb_yello: