2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

"I've found the strength to come to terms ..." He suffered.

I would be very surprised if Mika has spent the past 5 years suffering because he could not come to terms with his sexuality in his own life. I think he is talking about discussing it publicly (as opposed to just slipping it into his lyrics).

And yes I can imagine it's extremely difficult to make a public declaration, especially when you are young and trying to establish a career. Because there are still so many strangers who feel that they have a right to judge others based on their sexuality.

That is why people are happy that he is free. Free from worrying about people judging him. I hope he doesn't care what anyone thinks. It's his life.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:wub2: happy for him that he's now comfortable enough to talk about it openly! love how he describes it: "And it’s only through my music that I’ve found the strength to come to terms with my sexuality beyond the context of just my lyrics. This is my real life." - can't wait to read the whole interview! :wub2:

Seriously I never care about that.

And the fact to be proud of him because he said " i'm gay " seriously some people here make me scare, there's things more important in life and in the world :doh:

Guess we'll just shut down all the Mika fan forums then. Unless he wins a Nobel Prize I guess there is nothing important enough to talk about!

Many of us felt that his comment about asking to e called 'bisexual' if needed was just an unfortunate way of wording that he did not feel comfortable about discussing his sexuality back in 2009.

I'm happy he is comfortable about it now - it will make his life much easier and at the same time encourage and reassure other young people about coming to terms with their own sexual identity.

also I don't like the "come to terms with it" this isn't 1950 I'd like to think gay men and women don't have anything to come to terms with and that they could just be brave and not wait 5 years to be open and honest with their fans. Do most of us still love him?yes. Will some people stop loving him? Of course, but everyone suffers intolerance at some point whether its racial, gender, or orientation and we can't hide from racial and gender so its sad that he had to hide it. I think he shouldve embraced it from the start - but I guess that's easy to say coming from someone who isn't gay and doesn't understand the struggles a gay person must face. But I am proud of him he's showing there's nothing to be ashamed of but its just a shame it took so long. I wonder why he avoided this for so long?

Before I nod off at the restauant as I've been up since 4, and had a dubious burger earlier, I would like to say how proud I am that he finally has the confidence to do this. I admire him for the strength he is showing.

Can I go to sleep now?

Before I nod off at the restauant as I've been up since 4, and had a dubious burger earlier, I would like to say how proud I am that he finally has the confidence to do this. I admire him for the strength he is showing.

Can I go to sleep now?

No :poke:

But I am proud of him he's showing there's nothing to be ashamed of but its just a shame it took so long. I wonder why he avoided this for so long?

I heard a podcast recently that was an interview with a comedian about my age. Even though he was out to all his friends and family he was making his first public declaration during the interview and it was very interesting to hear him discuss all his fears and anxiety about the whole situation. Intellectually he knew he was doing the right thing. He had decided to come forward because of the epidemic of gay suicides. But it still provoked a lot of anxiety.

I don't know if it's still available on line but I will try to post it because I found it very interesting and it really made me empathize with him and his circumstances even though I can't directly relate to what he's going through.

Can I go to sleep now?

That depends on whether you can put your phone away for the night. :wink2:

I heard a podcast recently that was an interview with a comedian about my age. Even though he was out to all his friends and family he was making his first public declaration during the interview and it was very interesting to hear him discuss all his fears and anxiety about the whole situation. Intellectually he knew he was doing the right thing. He had decided to come forward because of the epidemic of gay suicides. But it still provoked a lot of anxiety.

I don't know if it's still available on line but I will try to post it because I found it very interesting and it really made me empathize with him and his circumstances even though I can't directly relate to what he's going through.

my sister recently told us as well how scared she was coming out, even to us her, family, while we all suspected for a loooong time she was gay and we never made problems about people being gay... and yet she was scared to tell us. i never knew that till she told us about that a few weeks ago .

She's happy for a while now, living together with her girlfriend for about 4 years now, they have a little boy too now. and will get married next year in may (so Mika, no gig in belgium on the 4th of may please thank you :teehee:)

And the fact to be proud of him because he said " i'm gay " seriously some people here make me scare, there's things more important in life and in the world :doh:

Yes, there are things more important in the world. But for a gay(/lesbian/bi/transgender)-person it's one of the most important things to accept your sexuality in the first step and then to open up yourself to others. Mika can be very proud of himself. And as Mika is important to us as a person on some level we feel that with and for him :wub2:

Yes, there are things more important in the world. But for a gay(/lesbian/bi/transgender)-person it's one of the most important things to accept your sexuality in the first step and then to open up yourself to others. Mika can be very proud of himself. And as Mika is important to us as a person on some level we feel that with and for him :wub2:

Here here ... agree 1000%

my sister recently told us as well how scared she was coming out, even to us her, family, while we all suspected for a loooong time she was gay and we never made problems about people being gay... and yet she was scared to tell us. i never knew that till she told us about that a few weeks ago .

She's happy for a while now, living together with her girlfriend for about 4 years now, they have a little boy too now. and will get married next year in may (so Mika, no gig in belgium on the 4th of may please thank you :teehee:)

I love your posts, I can relate to them a lot :huglove:

I couldn't say it better! :wink2::thumb_yello:

My heart stopped when I read this. But after the first shock it's working again. I always hoped he was bi, because I'm not a boy, even though I know I would never be his girlfriend. But my fantasies are ruined now :( cuz you can't turn gays straight, even in my fantasies I can't :(

But other that I have to find new fantasies, I'm happy for him that he can now be open about who he loves. I still love him and that would never change. He's is still a wonderfull singer and person, and I wish him all the happiness in the world.

Appearently I have a thing for gay man. This is the fifth man or so I like. That are the only times I sometimes wosh I was a man.

Edited by Marly

also I don't like the "come to terms with it" this isn't 1950 I'd like to think gay men and women don't have anything to come to terms with and that they could just be brave and not wait 5 years to be open and honest with their fans. [...] I think he shouldve embraced it from the start - but I guess that's easy to say coming from someone who isn't gay and doesn't understand the struggles a gay person must face.

As a bisexual person I can tell you, that you everyone has to "come to terms with it", even now and even in the best environment. It's not that easy when you realize that you are different. It's a long way you have to go. Some go it faster, some need more time, some never manage it - it dependants on the personality of every one and the environment (if it's more accepting or not) you are living in. So there is no "to long" for anyone.

As for "going out", there are these rational and irrational fears of losing people that are important for yourself and to get problems because of your orientation. Even if you tell yourself on a rational level "if it goes wrong and the person can't accept it I don't want to have the person as a friend anyway / I don't want to work for the person anyway / ... " and that everyone who will have a problem should go and **** himself your feelings are messing up everything. Especially the first time(s) you come out. If I think about it, it's mostly the fear of getting hurt emotionally because of bad reactions, at least for myself.

But when you have taken the step, it's a fantastic feeling - like you can fly and like you are 3 meters taller :D