2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

I don`t think his fanbase will be less. Never. None of us will turn away only because of his statement . It`s like turn away from your brother, best friend or someone you care for. Never.

Fans ! We should be thankful he trusts us by letting us know he`s gay. Many people have to keep it in secret throughout all their lives ! They suffer, they`re unhappy, losing their identity....

As to paparazzi - yes, I`m afraid that pressure will grow, but Mika is able to cope with that .

And I really happy that we finally can focus on his music and projects ! :thumb_yello:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Sephira Mika has no huge fanbase to lose with this statement. in fact, he originally had more gay followers - you could see that on MFC, too. I think with the second album he actually closed in a bit despite the video for WAG being full of gay imagery - with not well-chosen lyrics to the song though, so a rather mixed message. All in all, I think this statement will only gain him more fans and most definitely some increased credibility. It's not that he wasn't honest till now. He was in his work but the press seem to have perceived him as a manufactured popstar with 'the boy next-door ' image who is deceiving teenage girls whilst in reality his fanbase is most definitely not limited to them.

First, I don't speak about fan base but about people in general, Mika did not lose fans because he said he is gay but I don't think he win fans who loves is music and his talent because of that point.

Secondly , the gay community is too often seen as a windfall to make money by music industry and others marketing compagny this is why gay people who are not Mika's fan may not react nicely as in gay blogs where Make you Happy was, I saw a lots of comments saying that they were seen as cash cow by Mika or his record compagny.

Personaly I look all art works without prejudices with innocent eyes because what I've learned after years of study of art history is that you can't define an art work by the sexuality of an artist. The other thing I learned is that we can't put artist in a box because they are like other people: unique.

WAG video makes me laugh:naughty: but this not Mika who directed and created this video.

Finally, I'm afraid that people in general (not the fan base) and the whole media prefer to discuss about Mika sexuality than his work. I say that because I worked for years about Richard Dadd and on the critic fortune of this artist and I was so sad that so much people see him just as a mad man who killed his father and finished his life in psychiatric hospital while his work is unique and has inspired many artists. I don't want that this kind of things happens to Mika he didn't deserve it :doh:

Edited by Sephira

Many of us felt that his comment about asking to e called 'bisexual' if needed was just an unfortunate way of wording that he did not feel comfortable about discussing his sexuality back in 2009.

I'm happy he is comfortable about it now - it will make his life much easier and at the same time encourage and reassure other young people about coming to terms with their own sexual identity.

I thought so too.

Tbh, from the very start I could never imagine Mika with a woman. I always believed he was gay, not bi even, but gay. When threads were started about entertaining a lady in Paris, or his nights on the town with Adele/Katy P, or anyone else whether famous or not, and sometimes, fans were kind-of speculating, I always thought, no, they're just his friends.

I always wished he would feel comfortable enough to come out, because I felt that, once he did so, it'd be news for a week, and used to wrap chips up from the chip-shop after that (in other words, no one would give a toss once the news was out) but at least he could then be open about his relationship and, possibly, be seen with his partner sometimes.

Now he's said it, it will be such a relief for Mika and I'm really happy for him.

Now, as others have said, people in the press, or whatever, can concentrate on Mika's music, which is the most important thing he brings to us.

Why would he lose his fan base? Everyone who has ever listened to his lyrics already knew this and people genuinely interested in music don't care. And girls who only want to marry him find new imaginery boy friends all the time any way... :naughty:

@dermoment Thank you for sharing your feelings :huglove:

I just can't believe this was easy for him. I read someone (not a fan) commenting on FB he is doing all this to promote his album. So he didn't openly talk about this during his first two albums because he knew that releasing his third one would be commercially perfect moment??? :doh: I just feel SO happy for him, I wish everyone did :wub2:

Why don't agree that this is true? This can be seen, even the blind man. Just do not want to think so. But the reality is the same as his words about himself. It is a fact.

Why don't agree that this is true? This can be seen, even the blind man. Just do not want to think so. But the reality is the same as his words about himself. It is a fact.

No ... I don't agree with that at all ... that it's some kind of marketing thing cos' his album is out soon ... it's plainly because he's in love and happy ... happy with who is and happy to share it finally ... Mika has never been into pushing himself into the limelight not in that sense anyway ... so for you to try and say that it's fact and plain to see is wrong ... it's absolute fact that it's the complete opposite :dunno:

@Sephira I can't quote you properly from my phone so let me reply to your points in order.

Firstly, I meant that he will win new fans by winning over the press for being open and honest, and as a consequence, getting more exposure in the media.

Secondly, Mika has always been seen as gay by people even with the tinest bit of sensitivity to spot that.

Finally, Mika's sexuality has ALWAYS been part of his songs and his art, so you cannot separate it if you understand what he is singing about at all....

I also wanted to reply on an earlier point you raised, about fans feeling 'proud of him' To be honest, in the majority of cases, for example when fans comment how proud of him they are because he looks good/ like an adult (:blink::lmfao:), I also find it rather funny as it reads like surrogate mums tweeting him. However, when fans say that they are proud to follow an artist who writes great songs, stands by important causes, does amazing performances , talks honestly about sensitive topics and dares to share some of the most intimate parts of his life , I do think that one can feel a kind of 'pride' for having spotted this in him early enough and having been a loyal fan of him for ages.

Edited by suzie

No ... I don't agree with that at all ... that it's some kind of marketing thing cos' his album is out soon ... it's plainly because he's in love and happy ... happy with who is and happy to share it finally ... Mika has never been into pushing himself into the limelight not in that sense anyway ... so for you to try and say that it's fact and plain to see is wrong ... it's absolute fact that it's the complete opposite :dunno:

Oh my! When he first told how his album will be called? A year ago. I take off the blinders from my eyes. Rather, they were forcibly stripped, along with my eyelids. The Origin of Love ... All. What isn't clear what kind of love will there be? Even I understood. Just I don't wanted to hear anything. Who did not know what he will say everything on the threshold of the album?? Even I knew it. I wondered when he will be say? In August or just before the release of the album? I felt that there were some days . If no one knew except me, I'm a prophet. lol For the sake of promotion. It's understandable.

I hurried into the Catholic church to ask for prayers for him. I wanted make it yesterday, even not a day later. Do not slept after my night work. I walked not in my church. In his church, which he turned away. I was there yesterday, on August 3. I was in a hurry, and he was in a hurry.

Edited by Lena

Thanks god I'm obviously less jealous seeing him with boy than with gal :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I thought he is 90% gay since I got to know about him and almost 99% sure after seeing him in person :aah: But actually feared about his openly coming out, cuz I thought he should take a risk to lose huge fan base after that...

He's a great artist, musician, singer, person to me... and no one could kick him away from some part of my heart, even my boyfriend never could do that. :aah:

I love you Mika, in a special way :wub2: You're the greatest and most amazing person I've ever seen.

:das::aah: :aah: :aah:

well yea.. I'm happy for him, too. :original:

Thanks god I'm obviously less jealous seeing him with boy than with gal :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I thought he is 90% gay since I got to know about him and almost 99% sure after seeing him in person :aah: But actually feared about his openly coming out, cuz I thought he should take a risk to lose huge fan base after that...

He's a great artist, musician, singer, person to me... and no one could kick him away from some part of my heart, even my boyfriend never could do that. :aah:

I love you Mika, in a special way :wub2: You're the greatest and most amazing person I've ever seen.

It sounds as egotistically as my old desire that Mika was always alone. But worse.

Oh my! When he first told how his album will be called? A year ago. I take off the blinders from my eyes. Rather, they were forcibly stripped, along with my eyelids. The Origin of Love ... All. What isn't clear what kind of love will there be? Even I understood. Just I don't wanted to hear anything. Who did not know what he will say everything on the threshold of the album?? Even I knew it. I wondered when he will be say? In August or just before the release of the album? I felt that there were some days . If no one knew except me, I'm a prophet. lol For the sake of promotion. It's understandable.

I hurried into the Catholic church to ask for prayers for him. I wanted make it yesterday, even not a day later. Do not slept after my night work. I walked not in my church. In his church, which he turned away. I was there yesterday, on August 3. I was in a hurry, and he was in a hurry.

I honestly don't understand what you're (trying to) say/saying....:dunno:

I honestly don't understand what you're (trying to) say/saying....:dunno:

I am writing awkward. I know. I still do not know the language. I wanted to say that should not deny the fact that he was in a hurry to tell everything for promote the album. To draw attention to the album. This is clear as day.

I could never agree with those random comments. I think his strategy with the new album is to be real and honest and to share his happiness and I think it's the right thing to do and also possible still keeping his privacy. And for me he looks happy, even relieved and I'm very happy for him and hope this can only make things easier for him in the future :thumb_yello:

I could never agree with those random comments. I think his strategy with the new album is to be real and honest and to share his happiness and I think it's the right thing to do and also possible still keeping his privacy. And for me he looks happy, even relieved and I'm very happy for him and hope this can only make things easier for him in the future :thumb_yello:

I sooooooooooo agree with you =)

I am writing awkward. I know. I still do not know the language. I wanted to say that should not deny the fact that he was in a hurry to tell everything for promote the album. To draw attention to the album. This is clear as day.

Bull****. Just let the man be happy with who he is and don't try to find excuses because he finally says what we've known all along. There is no need to pray for him, because he hasn't done anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with being gay and the bible actually states that God loves all his children. And it does not matter if his children are straight or gay or black or white. I understand that you live in a country where homosexuality is not as accepted as it is in other parts of the world, but to say that this is all just a stunt to promote his album, that's nonsense. Live and let live.

It might look like that indeed, but I think that is untrue. Read Tiibet's post a few pages back, I agree with her. It is Mika's 3th album, why didn't he come out at his 1st or 2nd ten?

It´s only clear for you Lena because you want to believe this. For the most of us it is clear that he feels it´s time to share his happiness. And we all are happy that he is happy. And also most of us don´t have any problems with his sexuality like you seem to have it. We love Mika like he is and not like we want to have him.

Bull****. Just let the man be happy with who he is and don't try to find excuses because he finally says what we've known all along. There is no need to pray for him, because he hasn't done anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with being gay and the bible actually states that God loves all his children. And it does not matter if his children are straight or gay or black or white. I understand that you live in a country where homosexuality is not as accepted as it is in other parts of the world, but to say that this is all just a stunt to promote his album, that's nonsense. Live and let live.

It´s only clear for you Lena because you want to believe this. For the most of us it is clear that he feels it´s time to share his happiness. And we all are happy that he is happy. And also most of us don´t have any problems with his sexuality like you seem to have it. We love Mika like he is and not like we want to have him.

:thumb_yello:

Why would he lose his fan base? Everyone who has ever listened to his lyrics already knew this and people genuinely interested in music don't care. And girls who only want to marry him find new imaginery boy friends all the time any way... :naughty:

Everyone 'understand English' who has listened to his lyrics could knew this, but if not english speakers... well? :teehee:

One mfcer fellow finally translated this interview and posted on Korean forum. Yes actually we had to 'make up our mind' to post this one...well honestly I was a bit hesitated to ruin many other fan's fantasy.... and feared how the replies would say..

Now some feel confused..some got shocked... some feel 'proud and happy' for him. I can see various reactions everywhere on internet world now...

donno what the result would be... and you know 'Coming out' could be understood differently in other parts of the world..

agree? :das:

Edited by Yuna

+1 :huglove: