The Official " The Origin of Love " Charts & Sales around the World Thread

suzie

Did he really say that? I missed that interview.

Well that says all you need to know doesn't it. He needs to find his passion again (and I don't mean for his bf :fisch:)

Yes, he did! It's a very interesting interview - translated yesterday by Pernille, you can read it here at MFC :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched the Big Reunion but I'm aware of it, and I do know just how precarious and fickle the music biz is these days. That's why I think it is even more important than ever for an artist to retain control over what they do. These days you can do one of two things: sell your soul to a big record company and go with the flow and all that that entails, and yes a talented few will be lucky (eg Adele) and will take off globally, but many more will have their fifteen minutes and then fall by the wayside; or, you can do it the indie way and release your stuff - music, videos, merch, CDs etc - yourself, with the help of small record labels and distributors, utilizing the internet wisely and building a fanbase by word of mouth. Either way, success is never guaranteed. At least with the latter option, though, an artist has more freedom to innovate and take risks as they don't have to answer to the corporate machine. I've had the impression at times over the past three or four years that Mika doesn't enjoy making his music as much as he used to in his early days, perhaps because of the pressure he feels he is under to 'produce the goods'. I could be wrong but it's how it seems to me. What I would love to see most of all is for him to get his passion for music back. I don't care if he never charts again in this country now - to me that is all irrelevant now (I mean have you seen the charts these days?? :shocked:)

I used to think that way too. But now I´ve changed my mind. Clearly he goes to perform where he charts (aka France).

Yes, you might say that he is also doing a tour in US, but I think it´s a kind of promotion to go along with the Popular video.

If you take into account how big is France and how many gigs he is doing there, you´ll realise that it matters if he charts or he doesn´t.

I don´t really care if he becomes global, the New MJ or the new Freddie. But I´d love him to chart in my country cause it seems it´s the only way to bring him back. My first gig in Madrid was three years ago, and it was in the Palacio de los Deportes. It was sold out in few weeks. My last gig, just few months ago, was also in Madrid in a very tiny venue and it wasn´t sold out. It might mean that he won´t try to perform here again...

Sadly, charts matter.

you can do it the indie way and release your stuff - music, videos, merch, CDs etc - yourself, with the help of small record labels and distributors, utilizing the internet wisely and building a fanbase by word of mouth. Either way, success is never guaranteed. At least with the latter option, though, an artist has more freedom to innovate and take risks as they don't have to answer to the corporate machine. I've had the impression at times over the past three or four years that Mika doesn't enjoy making his music as much as he used to in his early days, perhaps because of the pressure he feels he is under to 'produce the goods'. I could be wrong but it's how it seems to me. What I would love to see most of all is for him to get his passion for music back. I don't care if he never charts again in this country now - to me that is all irrelevant now (I mean have you seen the charts these days?? :shocked:)

I would love to see this of course but maybe Mika has found the best balance he can hope for. The Adele scenario is incredibly rare. Someone asked her at the Oscars about new music and she said she's being a mum now. She's already taken a year off and shows no signs of making a new album and they are still throwing Oscars and Grammys and Brits at her. Who else in their generation has the luxury of doing whatever they want and still remaining a megastar?

I wouldn't think independents have this kind of freedom either because they would need to hustle all the time to sell their own product and keep their audience engaged. Maybe Mika is willing to put up with some record label obligations if it means having more general freedom in his life. Yes he's got a lot of dosh I'm sure but I bet he's also got a lot of people depending on his income. He's only 30 years old and I imagine he's established a standard of living for himself he's not eager to compromise so the money is not going to last forever.

I actually wish the record companies would change their approach, not Mika and other artists. I don't know when they are going to wake up to the fact that the music they are promoting is the reason why no one is buying music and stop blaming it all on technology.

I used to think that way too. But now I´ve changed my mind. Clearly he goes to perform where he charts (aka France).

Yes, you might say that he is also doing a tour in US, but I think it´s a kind of promotion to go along with the Popular video.

If you take into account how big is France and how many gigs he is doing there, you´ll realise that it matters if he charts or he doesn´t.

Mika charts in France because he panders to France. Was Elle Me Dit ever going to chart in the UK or US? Somewhere along the line he put all his eggs in the French basket and it should come as no surprise to anyone that that is where he has the most success now.

If you want a career in the US you have to work for it. You don't just release an album and expect it to chart all over the world. If artists only toured where/when they had chart success 99% of them would never get their careers off the ground in the first place. I'd bet if LICM wasn't a huge success Mika would still be focusing on small audiences the UK and US as he did in the beginning because these are his home bases and it's where the potential for a huge payoff exists.

I actually wish the record companies would change their approach, not Mika and other artists. I don't know when they are going to wake up to the fact that the music they are promoting is the reason why no one is buying music and stop blaming it all on technology.

:thumb_yello:

Mika charts in France because he panders to France. Was Elle Me Dit ever going to chart in the UK or US? Somewhere along the line he put all his eggs in the French basket and it should come as no surprise to anyone that that is where he has the most success now.

I respect your point of view but it seems to me that Mika got chart success (excluding the LICM phenomenon observed everywhere) before 'pandering' (if that's what it is) with EMD. TBWKTM was #10 of the most sold albums in 2009, #27 in 2010. Rain was a huge success here and it is still played once in a while. I think if he had released a song in English in the Summer of 2011 instead of EMD he would have had the same success..! Considering this song was well chosen of course :teehee:

I don't want to believe that French like him because they feel flattered.

I don´t really care if he becomes global, the New MJ or the new Freddie. But I´d love him to chart in my country cause it seems it´s the only way to bring him back. My first gig in Madrid was three years ago, and it was in the Palacio de los Deportes. It was sold out in few weeks. My last gig, just few months ago, was also in Madrid in a very tiny venue and it wasn´t sold out. It might mean that he won´t try to perform here again...

Sadly, charts matter.

I don't think the simple fact of not being in the charts is an excuse for not selling out venues. I follow a couple of American bands whose singles never get anywhere near the charts here, but they sell concert tickets here well enough. They've done that by nurturing a fanbase and building loyalty. I don't know why Mika struggled to fill venues in Spain this time around (or anywhere else) but perhaps it's more to do with poor promo and not getting the word out to those who might be interested in coming to see him, rather than where his single is in the charts. After all it shouldn't matter to a real fan if the single is in the charts or not :dunno:

I don't want to believe that French like him because they feel flattered.

That wasn't my point about the pandering. Just that the imbalance between his popularity in France and other countries is only going to be exacerbated by his continued focus/pandering/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. Particularly because we are not just talking about a regional issue (like between the UK and US) but a language issue.

When Adele started taking off in the US she'd already been to Toronto 3 times in the space of about a year. Robbie Williams came here once, didn't turn into the megastar he was in Europe and gave up on America and never came back. I've heard many references to how he tried to break in America and it didn't work but as far as I'm concerned he didn't really try. You can't come here (or anywhere) and expect to become a megastar with one small tour. Not that it CAN'T happen, just that it's a ridiculous expectation for anyone - even Robbie Williams at the peak of his career.

I understand why when Mika is huge in France or Robbie Williams is huge all over the world excluding North America that they'd rather focus on the markets that embrace them. But if you don't sow your seeds in these markets then you are never going to reap the benefits and you can't just blame it on the record buyers in these markets. Even with 17 dates on this upcoming tour Mika is still a thousand miles away from millions and millions of people. And he hasn't done a real tour here in 3.5 years. Meanwhile he is going up and down and all over France year in and year out. Of course the French are more interested in him. How could they not be under the circumstances?

He needs to promote himself more on the internet. It's a perfect tool and a tweet now and then just doesn't quite cut it. People want to feel connected to an artist. If he would interact more with his audience, he creates more bonds, apart from the connection he has with fans who go to his gigs quite often. So many opportunities and he takes advantage of only few.

I don't think the simple fact of not being in the charts is an excuse for not selling out venues. I follow a couple of American bands whose singles never get anywhere near the charts here, but they sell concert tickets here well enough. They've done that by nurturing a fanbase and building loyalty. I don't know why Mika struggled to fill venues in Spain this time around (or anywhere else) but perhaps it's more to do with poor promo and not getting the word out to those who might be interested in coming to see him, rather than where his single is in the charts. After all it shouldn't matter to a real fan if the single is in the charts or not :dunno:

In Germany it was the lack of promotion, people who only like his music didn´t know about the two concerts and TOOL. But Cologne was sold out.

Don't forget Gary B's bezzie-mate Robbie Williams.

This is what is so frustrating. RW has been invited onto every concert Gary Barlow has organised, even when he didn't have a new song or album to promote. This is why he's stayed current, and despite Radio One not playing his songs, he got to be #1 in the UK.

Mika doesn't have anyone of influence on his side. Gary doesn't invite him onto any big concerts and he SHOULD have invited him onto the Olympic one really, but he didn't. It really is very sad.

I know I'm not a "popular chick" for wanting the rumours to be true, regarding Eurovision, but this is the reason why I want it to be true. Mika really does need an international platform to perform on. This could be it.

He does know a lot of very successful people though (Katy, Lady Gaga, Adele, Kanye West). I like that he doesn't use them to get ahead, but it would be nice if they did something behind the scenes for him.

He does know a lot of very successful people though (Katy, Lady Gaga, Adele, Kanye West). I like that he doesn't use them to get ahead, but it would be nice if they did something behind the scenes for him.

Yes I've been hoping for that as well. Apparently Kanye loved Mika's new album and even listened to some of them in the studio with Pharrell, but he never even mentions him in the press (neither does Pharrell). I find that kind of odd, but I guess a collab wouldn't really get Mika attention (like Celebrate) but one with one of his lady friends Gaga or Adele could help boost his fame a little I'd think. Not that it's going to happen :(

I' afraid that when it comes to their jobs and carriere, they don't support or push each other very much :blink: then I think it's more about competing, and get the best deals and jobs ...

And I wonder if MIKA still goes dog walking, and watch movies, with Adele when he's at home in London - like they used to, before she got her husband and baby :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

I haven't watched the Big Reunion but I'm aware of it, and I do know just how precarious and fickle the music biz is these days. That's why I think it is even more important than ever for an artist to retain control over what they do. These days you can do one of two things: sell your soul to a big record company and go with the flow and all that that entails, and yes a talented few will be lucky (eg Adele) and will take off globally, but many more will have their fifteen minutes and then fall by the wayside; or, you can do it the indie way and release your stuff - music, videos, merch, CDs etc - yourself, with the help of small record labels and distributors, utilizing the internet wisely and building a fanbase by word of mouth. Either way, success is never guaranteed. At least with the latter option, though, an artist has more freedom to innovate and take risks as they don't have to answer to the corporate machine. I've had the impression at times over the past three or four years that Mika doesn't enjoy making his music as much as he used to in his early days, perhaps because of the pressure he feels he is under to 'produce the goods'. I could be wrong but it's how it seems to me. What I would love to see most of all is for him to get his passion for music back. I don't care if he never charts again in this country now - to me that is all irrelevant now (I mean have you seen the charts these days?? :shocked:)

Yep. What happened to those? He just never seemed to have the enthusiasm to keep it up did he. I wonder why?? I don't think he is a natural blogger actually, certainly not a natural writer. He would do better sharing his ideas online in another way - visually maybe or just by releasing music online more frequently and keeping the fan connection alive in that way.

I've always said, whether people agree is up to them, but that the problem really started after WAG. The two singles released from TBWKTM in the UK, wern't the right ones. There were much better songs on the album than Rain and BIOTG. To show Mika's versatility, they could have tried to release Pick Up, as it's really bluesy and different, and GGG would have made a great dance-track, Touches You is awesome and I See You, lovely and romantic.

I don't think he has the choice over which singles are released. On one radio show I remember him playing GGG because he'd hoped it would be a single and thought it deserved to be on the radio.

As for this album. I think the word we are looking for here is "fiasco". It's been absolutely, nothing but a shambles. I've seen no adverts for the album on TV, nothing to let the UK know he's actually, NOT DEAD YET! As for the releases, they've been so confusing. We haven't really known if they've been released or not. Even Popular has been released in a backside-frontwards way, with the video being made weeks after the song itself was out.

If this is how the record company are going to treat Mika, he'd be much better off without them, doing his own thing, his own way.

I've always said, whether people agree is up to them, but that the problem really started after WAG. The two singles released from TBWKTM in the UK, wern't the right ones. There were much better songs on the album than Rain and BIOTG. To show Mika's versatility, they could have tried to release Pick Up, as it's really bluesy and different, and GGG would have made a great dance-track, Touches You is awesome and I See You, lovely and romantic.

I don't think he has the choice over which singles are released. On one radio show I remember him playing GGG because he'd hoped it would be a single and thought it deserved to be on the radio.

As for this album. I think the word we are looking for here is "fiasco". It's been absolutely, nothing but a shambles. I've seen no adverts for the album on TV, nothing to let the UK know he's actually, NOT DEAD YET! As for the releases, they've been so confusing. We haven't really known if they've been released or not. Even Popular has been released in a backside-frontwards way, with the video being made weeks after the song itself was out.

If this is how the record company are going to treat Mika, he'd be much better off without them, doing his own thing, his own way.

I agree that BIOTG was a terrible single choice. I date the slide from then (although I know quite a few who were already turned off by WAG). It was one of the poorest songs on the album and had a frankly awful video. I thought Rain was better but by that time the damage was done.

And yes, TOOL has been a fiasco. I still can't get my head around why Celebrate was released way too late for the Olympic vibe when I am SURE it would have been picked up more if released just a few short weeks earlier. It wasn't a strong single anyway IMO but the record company couldn't even spot its glaringly obvious, if limited potential!! The mind boggles, it really does.

I' afraid that when it comes to their jobs and carriere, they don't support or push each other very much :blink: then I think it's more about competing, and get the best deals and jobs ...

And I wonder if MIKA still goes dog walking, and watch movies, with Adele when he's at home in London - like they used to, before she got her husband and baby :blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

No, now he babysits:mf_rosetinted:

• 3 months later...

Universal Korea will publish "TOOL Booklet version" (like "TBWKTM" Korean booklet version)

Magazine edition will include a HD photoshoot album

Edited by BiaIchihara
Correcting info

(From @Kumazzz and @Mousetrap tweets)

Universal Korea will publish "TOOL Booklet version" soon (like "TBWKTM" Korean booklet version)

Here's a link to buy The Origin Of Love (CD+DVD Tour Edition) [Korea Version]

CD1

1. Origin Of Love

2. Lola

3. Stardust

4. Make You Happy

5. Underwater

6. Overrated

7. Kids

8. I Only Love You When I’m Drunk

9. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

14. Make You Happy

15. Elle Me Dit

16. Stardust – Italian Version

17. Popular Song with Ariana Grande

DVD

‘Underwater’ Music Video

‘Celebrate’ Music Video

‘Make You Happy’ Music Video

‘Elle Me Dit’ Music Video

‘Celebrate’ behind the scenes

‘Origin Of Love’ - Track By Track

‘Stardust’- Track By Track

‘Celebrate’ - Track By Track

‘Lola’ - Track By Track

Nonononooo wrong info..

The link above is 'TOUR EDITION' , nothing special but some MVs and Track by Track vids with same booklet.

The Magazine Edition - think we gotta wait several months more . NOT released yet.

(From @Kumazzz and @Mousetrap tweets)

Universal Korea will publish "TOOL Booklet version" soon (like "TBWKTM" Korean booklet version)

:no:

My tweets about Korean versions are

Nonononooo wrong info..

The link above is 'TOUR EDITION' , nothing special but some MVs and Track by Track vids with same booklet.

The Magazine Edition - think we gotta wait several months more . NOT released yet.

Thanks for the correct information, Yuna.:thumb_yello:

Nonononooo wrong info..

:no:

My tweets about Korean versions are

Thanks for the correct information, Yuna.:thumb_yello:

Sorry for the mistake girls :doh::doh::doh:

I should erase my last post then, shouldn't???

Sorry for the mistake girls :doh::doh::doh:

I should erase my last post then, shouldn't???

Don't worry, dear friend.:itsok:

Blame it on TOOL !!

south_korea.pngIn KOREA, 3 versions have already been released.

The Origin Of Love (Standard) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-standard-korea-version/1031417331-0-0-0-en/info.html

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. Love You When I’m Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

14. Make You Happy - Miami Edit

The Origin Of Love (Deluxe) (2CD) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-deluxe-2cd-korea-version/1031417334-0-0-0-en/info.html

DISC01. The Origin Of Love [Deluxe]

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. Love You When I'm Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

DISC02. The Origin Of Love [Deluxe]

01. Celebrate - Acoustic Version

02. Origin Of Love - Acoustic Version

03. Kids - Acoustic Version

04. Love You When I'm Drunk - Acoustic Version

05. Overrated - Acoustic Version

06. Elle Me Dit

07. Tah Dah - Album Version

08. Stardust - Benny Benassi Mix

09. Celebrate - Robbie Rivera Remix

The Origin Of Love (CD+DVD) (Tour Edition) (Limited Edition) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-cd-dvd-tour-edition-limited-edition-korea/1033078687-0-0-0-en/info.html

CD1

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. I Only Love You When I’m Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

14. Make You Happy

15. Elle Me Dit

16. Stardust – Italian Version

17. Popular Song with Ariana Grande

DVD

‘Underwater’ Music Video

‘Celebrate’ Music Video

‘Make You Happy’ Music Video

‘Elle Me Dit’ Music Video

‘Celebrate’ behind the scenes

‘Origin Of Love’ - Track By Track

‘Stardust’- Track By Track

‘Celebrate’ - Track By Track

‘Lola’ - Track By Track

EPK International

Don't worry, dear friend.:itsok:

Blame it on TOOL !!

south_korea.pngIn KOREA, 3 versions have already been released.

The Origin Of Love (Standard) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-standard-korea-version/1031417331-0-0-0-en/info.html

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. Love You When I’m Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

The Origin Of Love (Deluxe) (2CD) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-deluxe-2cd-korea-version/1031417334-0-0-0-en/info.html

DISC01. The Origin Of Love [Deluxe]

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. Love You When I'm Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily

12. Heroes

13. Celebrate

DISC02. The Origin Of Love [Deluxe]

01. Celebrate - Acoustic Version

02. Origin Of Love - Acoustic Version

03. Kids - Acoustic Version

04. Love You When I'm Drunk - Acoustic Version

05. Overrated - Acoustic Version

06. Elle Me Dit

07. Tah Dah - Album Version

08. Stardust - Benny Benassi Mix

09. Celebrate - Robbie Rivera Remix

The Origin Of Love (CD+DVD) (Tour Edition) (Limited Edition) (Korea Version)

http://www.yesasia.com/global/mika-the-origin-of-love-cd-dvd-tour-edition-limited-edition-korea/1033078687-0-0-0-en/info.html

CD1

01. Origin Of Love

02. Lola

03. Stardust

04. Make You Happy

05. Underwater

06. Overrated

07. Kids

08. I Only Love You When I’m Drunk

09. Step With Me

10. Popular Song

11. Emily