MIKA @ FNAC events + XFactor - Milan - November 29th 2012

robertina

I can only conclude that we're all fans of a one-hit-wonder who has now turned into a B-rated star with no hope of ever becoming truly successful again and needs to turn to Italian X-factor for money and publicity.

Now if someone could point me in the direction of an appropriate smiley to soften the message, I'd be much obliged.

ouch that's harsh!!

In any case he can never be a one hit wonder - he's had several songs that topped charts in various countries..:aah:

When i heard about this judging i thought it was a serious 'WTF' sort of move...i can see concerns about it diminishing his credibility, but seriously how much more damage can it do than 'doing a duet with a Disney teen', or 'having the #1 song in France 2 summers ago'? There are differences between a craptastic show like X-Factor and these 'accolades' but these are also things he has done and which impresses virtually no-one...

Because of the time commitment i can understand this move being the staw that breaks the camel's back with long-suffering fans, but for me I'm just going to sit back and observe the ride. I gave up worrying more about Mika's career than Mika, after that whole debacle that was TOOL's (non-existent) promo, so I'll watch from the sidelines and just hope that at the very least he doesn't end up being too maligned by Italian viewers (from what you guys say ppl tend to make fun of the judges) and that at the very best it's all over and done with in a timely fashion and he gets back to the music as soon as he can...

It doesn't. He will have to coach his contestants throughout the week. Had it been just once a week it would be less of an issue, but this will distract him from his music.

I was just about to say that lol .... I watch X Factor UK sometimes ... I know how the judges work ... it'll take a lot more time than one night - and auditions here start in the summer ... so this is gonna be a longish job for him :dunno:

It doesn't. He will have to coach his contestants throughout the week. Had it been just once a week it would be less of an issue, but this will distract him from his music.

that's also true, I was forgetting about this! But I don't think he'll be completely absorbed by it, or well, I don't know this kind of lifestyle, but I hope for him that he won't! (It's proved that I don't follow reality shows :teehee: )

ouch that's harsh!!

In any case he can never be a one hit wonder - he's had several songs that topped charts in various countries..:aah:

When i heard about this judging i thought it was a serious 'WTF' sort of move...i can see concerns about it diminishing his credibility, but seriously how much more damage can it do than 'doing a duet with a Disney teen', or 'having the #1 song in France 2 summers ago'? There are differences between a craptastic show like X-Factor and these 'accolades' but these are also things he has done and which impresses virtually no-one...

Because of the time commitment i can understand this move being the staw that breaks the camel's back with long-suffering fans, but for me I'm just going to sit back and observe the ride. I gave up worrying more about Mika's career than Mika, after that whole debacle that was TOOL's (non-existent) promo, so I'll watch from the sidelines and just hope that at the very least he doesn't end up being too maligned by Italian viewers (from what you guys say ppl tend to make fun of the judges) and that at the very best it's all over and done with in a timely fashion and he gets back to the music as soon as he can...

We know he's not a one hit wonder ... but unfortunately this is not the case with most people ... he is a one hit wonder in most people's minds ... that's the problem - most people couldn't even name another song he did apart from Grace Kelly ... even if they knew others - alot of the time they don't realise it's Mika ... most people in the UK think he's only ever had one album out ... it's a sad fact ... but it is what it is :(

ouch that's harsh!!

Thing is, Ariana has a solid fanbase around the world so it will give him more exposure as she is more famous than he is in the US. X-Factor will just give him publicity in France whilst the rest of the world will just look at for the next big thing.

I´m not jumping around. it might be good for his budget, I don´t doubt that, but he is again postponing his music in order to some side projects.

I don´t know the appealing that X Factor has in Italy. Its homologue in Spain is pure **** (IMO) and I wouldn´t like Mika to be here as a judge.

Sadly, maybe he has his reasons to do that. He hasn´t reached the sells he expected with his third album, I guess... maybe he thinks he won´t become global and decided to take this projects to earn a better living :dunno:

For sure there´s something that will suffer at this point: his music. I don´t think he can cope with so many side projects (he is at the moment recording an ad for a Spanish beer, and will be at a showcase to launch his own clothing line... WTF?) and a new album. If as he said, he is also writing music for a film and stuff... well... who knows...

Maybe he decided to not focus only in music. He has a creative mind and maybe he decided to expand it in some other ways than just writing music.

I dunno... I´ll wait and see what happens :camping:

I suppose, Mika knows his reasons and estimated his wills and powers in the right way.

If not, if he made a mistake, we shouldn't bring him down moaning around and kicking him with the legs (metaphorically). What was done - is done.

As far as I can see, his side projects were interesting and fresh.

We have no ideas about his motives, but definitely no-none was holding the knife near his neck. If it is his choice, if he needs it or wants to have fun with it, or because of anything else - I prefer to support him.

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

Thing is, Ariana has a solid fanbase around the world so it will give him more exposure as she is more famous than he is in the US. X-Factor will just give him publicity in France whilst the rest of the world will just look at for the next big thing.

Well she might be more well known in the US (sadly) but in terms of musical credibility, there's almost zero there :aah: no adult music fan will hear of that collab and go 'oh awesome Mika's really making a comeback' :aah:

but I get your point that the potential for exposure is definitely better with arianna...

Well she might be more well known in the US (sadly) but in terms of musical credibility, there's almost zero there :aah: no adult music fan will hear of that collab and go 'oh awesome Mika's really making a comeback' :aah:

but I get your point that the potential for exposure is definitely better with arianna...

Trust me, it would not be my first choice either even though I think Ariana is a lovely person. I do however understand why they chose to do it. X-factor I cannot comprehend.

I wish all of these shows, along with silly reality shows, would just go away and never come back :aah: Makes me think of MTV and how wonderful it used to be when it actually had music videos and shows relating to music/artists, before it became a reality show channel somehow.

But I don't really care, I don't watch television anyway. Mika can (obviously) do whatever he wants but I hope they won't try to control his behavior/opinions on the show like a puppet, like they sometimes do to the judges and contestants on these 'talent' shows, to entertain people for drama or something. Anyway, I hope Mika enjoys himself then returns to recording/releasing music again in time because he's one of the greatest songwriters out there.

i wonder if Shakira's fan club had the same type of discussion when she decided to be a judge on the Voice :teehee:

shakira has a fan club?? why am i not there??:shocked:

jk i could never go through all these wonderful little discussions for any other artiste :aah:

I wish all of these shows, along with silly reality shows, would just go away and never come back :aah: Makes me think of MTV and how wonderful it used to be when it actually had music videos and shows relating to music/artists, before it became a reality show channel somehow.

But I don't really care, I don't watch television anyway. Mika can (obviously) do whatever he wants but I hope they won't try to control his behavior/opinions on the show like a puppet, like they sometimes do to the judges and contestants on these 'talent' shows, to entertain people for drama or something. Anyway, I hope Mika enjoys himself then returns to recording/releasing music again in time because he's one of the greatest songwriters out there.

Actually, we had the Voice "La Voix" in Quebec and i really enjoyed it. I didn't realize we had so much raw talent in my province.

It was actually quite fun to watch as a guy i know was participating.

It was nice to see his journey on there

I gave up on saying my opinion about what Mika is doing,or what he's wearing long time ago....because he doesn't care anyway,and he has his reasons always.As long as he's satisfied with his career,why should we be worried? He lives just one life,why not doing what he wants? :dunno:

Maybe he's not taking the right decisions everytime,but who can say for sure what's right or wrong? For me he seems mature enough to be able to manage his life just fine.Maybe he needs those breaks from his work,he's not a robot set to sit in front of his piano all day,and write brilliant songs,maybe he needs more to get his inspiration.And of course I'd love him to do acoustic gigs every night,all over the world,but I guess that's slightly unrealistic.And a few months it's not the end of the world,we'll survive.....as always :aah:

I share your opinion here. Even if it's just because he needs a break and wants to "connect holidays with work" (he loves Italy after all), it's a valid reason for him as a person.

What for a kind of show is X-factor Italy? Is it more serious or is it just a "making fun" kind of thing? But if Chiara won last year and if Marco Mengoni (he is great and he did win San Remo this year after all!) won the third season it doesn't seem to be so bad, right?

Some years ago I had a very bad opinion about all these casting shows, too. The show and the songs and the contestants were all so fake and everyone only watched them for making fun. But then we had some good formats here in Germany where it was mostly about the music and where really individual and talented people took part as contestants, so my opinion about casting shows changed and I don’t have something against all of them.

So, some years ago I would have been like "Nooooo!!!!", too, but now it's more like "If he want to do it, he should do it, it's his decision".

Edited by DerMoment1608

Ok, I'll stop moaning and join you in this one. Mika, stop goofing around and show everyone what an amazing artist you are!

:thumb_yello:

Yeah!! X Factor? The Voice? Star Academy?

Whatever, Please stop asking me "Mika Who?"

Here he is, talented, smart, just two minutes of his innate grace, and they will be here, with us, talking about his being the quintessence of Art.

Ok, propaganda time mode off :mf_rosetinted:

Let's all just trust Mika - he knows what he's doing.

Yes, I trusted Mika. I trusted Mika when he came on the scene presenting himself as someone who was all about writing and performing and planned to be doing the same in 10, 20 or more years.

I trusted Mika when he said he didn't have to answer to his record company or any other business pressures.

I trusted Mika when he said he wasn't interested in fashion.

I trusted Mika when he said he was driven by the need to be creative and not commercial.

I trusted Mika when he said he was the anti X Factor artist.

I am a fan of the person who said those things. I am a fan of the person who stood in the Sixth and I Synagogue and sang music clearly written and performed from his soul.

I am not a fan of a person who sells beer, sunglasses and clothing. I am not a fan of a person who sells out to some obscure talent show that will tie him up from making music and headlining tours and will contribute nothing to his legacy except becoming the David Hasselhoff of Italy.

This is extremely sad and disappointing and regardless of how well or badly it turns out for Mika personally it is still a breach of the trust that I (and I'm sure many others) put in him all these years to be someone who would never sacrifice their artistic integrity to sell products and become a C-list celebrity on a TV show that makes a mockery of real musical artists.

I will always be grateful I was one of the lucky few to see him at his very very best. But this is the end of the line for me as far as actively supporting Mika on a day to day basis goes. I am not waiting around another 3 years or more while he works on these side projects that seem to be entirely motivated by...I don't know what...but it's sure not artistic drive.

I hope he comes back to NA again one day with a great tour. And I hope I am still interested enough to care.

I dunno... I´ll wait and see what happens :camping:

Well, in the end that's all any of us can do, isn't it? It's not as though we can change Mika's mind, or get him to tear up the contract if he's already signed it. :dunno:

And, although I'm sure it's just a technicality at this point, an official announcement has not yet been made. I'm sure the announcement that was on sky.it earlier today was an accidental leak, and that the real announcement will come soon, but I guess we can cling to a slim hope that the announcement was a complete error and Mika won't be an X Factor Italy judge at all. :crossed:

I do want to say, though, that everyone who says, "Mika can do what he likes" is missing the point, I'm afraid. Of *course* he can do what he likes. Just as I can do whatever I like. But just because he's off doing what he likes doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. And everyone is free to express how they feel about it, whether they are for it or against it. That's how this whole forum thing works.

What for a kind of show is X-factor Italy? Is it more serious or is it just a "making fun" kind of thing? But if Chiara won last year and if Marco Megoni (he is great and he did win San Remo after all!) won the third season it doesn't seem to be so bad, right?

How serious is it? THIS is a photo of Mika with one of last year's judges. You tell me if we're meant to take this seriously. :blink:

elio_e_mika_958d.jpg

:no: I just don't want to see Mika on the same level of "clown" as this other judge. I'd rather see him performing his own music, writing his own music, than mugging for Italian TV for six months...

But that's just me. One opinion amongst many... of which Mika's is the only one that matters, to him at least.

*sigh* I need to get back to Real Life anyway. :sad:

Edited by dcdeb

i don't think XF will be a distraction, if it will be confirmed. It's not MasterChef, is it? It's a format dealing with music, he will meet other musicians, the coaches that will follow the guys, maybe he just needs all this in this moment!

He spent so much time in a studio, now it seems to me that all these different experiences he's making are much better for him, for his music...

Just think about the new songs he's composing while touring, he doesn't need silence and concentration but maybe breathing new air, different things!!

I do want to say, though, that everyone who says, "Mika can do what he likes" is missing the point, I'm afraid. Of *course* he can do what he likes. Just as I can do whatever I like. But just because he's off doing what he likes doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. And everyone is free to express how they feel about it, whether they are for it or against it. That's how this whole forum thing works.

I just want to say that my point wasn't that others should share my opinion if this came across this way. Everybody can think it's bad or good or whatever and say it here. It was just my opinion that it's not necessarily totally bad for me if he does it.

Edited by DerMoment1608

I found this on Twitter earlier, something Emilie Sande said about the UK version.

@4Music

Emeli Sande on X Factor: "I don't like the fact nobody creates on the show. I found it quite sad when I watched it. I found it depressing".

For me that says it all...

Well, in the end that's all any of us can do, isn't it? It's not as though we can change Mika's mind, or get him to tear up the contract if he's already signed it. :dunno:

And, although I'm sure it's just a technicality at this point, an official announcement has not yet been made. I'm sure the announcement that was on sky.it earlier today was an accidental leak, and that the real announcement will come soon, but I guess we can cling to a slim hope that the announcement was a complete error and Mika won't be an X Factor Italy judge at all. :crossed:

How serious is it? THIS is a photo of Mika with one of last year's judges. You tell me if we're meant to take this seriously. :blink:

elio_e_mika_958d.jpg

:no: I just don't want to see Mika on the same level of "clown" as this other judge. I'd rather see him performing his own music, writing his own music, than mugging for Italian TV for six months...

But that's just me. One opinion amongst many... of which Mika's is the only one that matters, to him at least.

*sigh* I need to get back to Real Life anyway. :sad:

The clown you See is a very good musician.

With his group, Elio e le Storie Tese, he participated at Sanremo after two years in XF, and now their concerts are sold out.

They were famous even before XF, but the programme gave them so much visibility, the same I Hope for Mika, in Italy needs to br recognized for the great artist he is.

I'm so tired to sing Grace Kelly when people ask me Mika Who?

Believe me, Deb, it's so frustrating... a programme like X Factor, or The Voice can do so much for him here.

I share your opinion here. Even if it's just because he needs a break and wants to "connect holidays with work" (he loves Italy after all), it's a valid reason for him as a person.

What for a kind of show is X-factor Italy? Is it more serious or is it just a "making fun" kind of thing? But if Chiara won last year and if Marco Mengoni (he is great and he did win San Remo this year after all!) won the third season it doesn't seem to be so bad, right?

Some years ago I had a very bad opinion about all these casting shows, too. The show and the songs and the contestants were all so fake and everyone only watched them for making fun. But then we had some good formats here in Germany where it was mostly about the music and where really individual and talented people took part as contestants, so my opinion about casting shows changed and I don’t have something against all of them.

So, some years ago I would have been like "Nooooo!!!!", too, but now it's more like "If he want to do it, he should do it, it's his decision".

Same here! I have no idea what kind of show it is in Italy,but in my country is ok,no one is making fun of the judges,and we also had some very talented competitors lately,as you said.I don't know,maybe it's not the same show for every country,but I don't think Mika would go and play dumb and get nasty comments just for money.

Same here! I have no idea what kind of show it is in Italy,but in my country is ok,no one is making fun of the judges,and we also had some very talented competitors lately,as you said.I don't know,maybe it's not the same show for every country,but I don't think Mika would go and play dumb and get nasty comments just for money.

Yeah, and I'm sure everyone of us knows him enough to trust him and to be sure that he will behave, good boy...:aah: