Popular - with Ariana Grande

Naectegale

Mika is obviously using Ariana to help get his work out there in the US since there was no other reason to re-record this song. It's natural that people think it's her song since it's on her album and many people have probably not heard of Mika. If it wasn't for her and her fame, her fans wouldn't know about the song at all. So it's all good.

Ariana's album Yours Truly is #7 on UK Chart : http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

And of course everyone on twitter saying how great is Ariana's song Popular :doh:

Well we'll just have to set them straight. It's all good. We just have to let them know It's Mika's song. They probably didn't realise if they're from the UK.

Mika is obviously using Ariana to help get his work out there in the US since there was no other reason to re-record this song. It's natural that people think it's her song since it's on her album and many people have probably not heard of Mika. If it wasn't for her and her fame, her fans wouldn't know about the song at all. So it's all good.

And I'd agree if not for my interpretation of everything else beyond someone thinking it's her song. That did catch me off guard, but just this week alone, I saw her on yet another TV show and on the front cover of a magazine. No sign or mention of Mika anywhere, save for something I saw on here. I fear that she's gaining a lot of momentum (and good for her, truly!) but Mika seems to not have profited from this song anywhere here in the US. The attitude seems more to be "This song by this guy Mika...AND ARIANA GRANDE." And because of that attitude, of course someone would mistake the song for hers. I suppose I see it as a larger issue...not just having a problem with a few people making a mistake.

Perhaps it'd be nice to see them represented together as opposed to just Ariana.

And I'd agree if not for my interpretation of everything else beyond someone thinking it's her song. That did catch me off guard, but just this week alone, I saw her on yet another TV show and on the front cover of a magazine. No sign or mention of Mika anywhere, save for something I saw on here. I fear that she's gaining a lot of momentum (and good for her, truly!) but Mika seems to not have profited from this song anywhere here in the US. The attitude seems more to be "This song by this guy Mika...AND ARIANA GRANDE." And because of that attitude, of course someone would mistake the song for hers. I suppose I see it as a larger issue...not just having a problem with a few people making a mistake.

Perhaps it'd be nice to see them represented together as opposed to just Ariana.

Don't know about the other countries, but after the Ariana's album came out, the song is called everywhere Ariana Grande feat. Mika

Very nice :sneaky2:

This is what I feared would happen, and I'm sad that it has.

205585_202591749762507_3424360_a.jpg

Chart News ‏@chartnews 3h

Billboard Hot 100: #87(new) Popular Song,

@mikasounds Feat. @ArianaGrande

:yay: It's not on their website now even though the charts are dated September 14th. But the Billboard 200 doesn't have Ariana as #1 either so I guess they are going to change it soon. Hopefully they release it as a single soon so it keeps climbing.

I suppose I see it as a larger issue...not just having a problem with a few people making a mistake.

Well the larger issue IMO is that Mika is tied up with side projects instead of coming to the US when his name is being linked with hers but we've already been over that. Maybe this web chat is a sign of things to come. I guess we'll see.

Don't know about the other countries, but after the Ariana's album came out, the song is called everywhere Ariana Grande feat. Mika

Very nice :sneaky2:

This is what I feared would happen, and I'm sad that it has.

:yay: It's not on their website now even though the charts are dated September 14th. But the Billboard 200 doesn't have Ariana as #1 either so I guess they are going to change it soon. Hopefully they release it as a single soon so it keeps climbing.

Well the larger issue IMO is that Mika is tied up with side projects instead of coming to the US when his name is being linked with hers but we've already been over that. Maybe this web chat is a sign of things to come. I guess we'll see.

This is very sad, but it's also very typical. Mika was actually famous in most countries, while Ariana was still shaking her pretty-pom-pom in High School. Yet Mika has to tag himself on to her to get any attention.

I agree that Mika should try and get more tours in the US, but he doesn't do that, and I blame whoever is promoting him. They're not helping him or giving him the right advice.

We know he's clever, and multi-lingual, but unless he's going to be the presenter of Eurovision, that's not going to get him back on top in the UK, or on top in USA. Most people couldn't care less if he speaks French, Spanish and Italian. Putting himself in for shows and adverts in those countries is too secular as it's really only for France Spain or Italy. But it would be alright if he's also got other things going on for the rest of us.

This is what has upset me for years. No one is saying to Mika that he needs to be getting back to his roots. UK gave him the start and he went on from there. He needs the UK if he's going to be a World Icon, not just a French or Italian icon. He also needs to be known in the USA.

He has so much going for him, but it's all such a waste. America don't really know Mika, but they know Ariana. I can understand the logic of putting the song on her album, but if Mika isn't getting any credit or notoriety from this then it's a terrible shame, and such a waste.

For someone who tried so hard to get his record deal, it just seems it's all being p****d up against the wall. I really hope there's a turn around and people start appreciating Mika, and he starts to realise he needs the English (speaking) market back again.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I agree that Mika should try and get more tours in the US, but he doesn't do that, and I blame whoever is promoting him. They're not helping him or giving him the right advice.

How long are we going to keep blaming everyone on the planet for Mika's missed opportunities? On the one hand Mika is extraordinarily intelligent and "knows what he's doing" but at the same time he needs advisors to tell him that wasting time on a foreign reality show while one of his songs is breaking into the US charts is not a good strategy? Really? Are we all so much smarter than Mika? Or isn't it just common sense?

I also don't understand how this Ariana situation can be interpreted as a negative for Mika. At absolute minimum he is going to receive royalties on the sales which is better than the $0 he'd be earning if they hadn't collaborated. I don't see the downside here. If it is released as a single and climbs the Hot 100 Mika's name will be out there. I had never heard of Mac Miller but every time The Way is mentioned Mac Miller is also mentioned along with Ariana's name. It doesn't matter who gets top billing, both their names are mentioned. And if it becomes a hit song everyone will look up the video and see Mika. It is a no lose situation and if Mika doesn't even attempt to capitalize on it...whose fault will that be?

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of this whole "It's everybody's fault but Mika's!"

I also don't see anything negative about this all. So what they say it is Ariana's song. Big f*cking deal. At least it is out there.

Totally agree with you:wink2:

I've said it in the past and will say it again. From my point of view, I really doubt Mika is willing to do what he would need to do to really break out in the US... Which is BE THERE... And be there for more than 3 weeks every few years.

Ariana's album charted so quickly because the girl has been in every pre-teen/teen face for the last 3 years while working on her album. She made 10 millions TV appearance and there are a few hundreds contests involving her... But so far, as touring goes, she guinea pig on Bieber and opened for some of his shows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Mika to start touring with Bieber... But paired with a great act, he could get more known out of the hyp/trendy/indy US scene.

Of course, if I was offered to spend a few months in Italy and France instead of a long ride on some remote US countryside, I would probably choose the first one too... And accept the consequences...

Until then, guess I'll be happy with every crumb that can be caught:blink:

I've said it in the past and will say it again. From my point of view, I really doubt Mika is willing to do what he would need to do to really break out in the US... Which is BE THERE... And be there for more than 3 weeks every few years.

We all know he is not prepared to do what it takes. It's a bit disappointing for me since he shifted his focus exclusively to continental Europe, but fine. It's his choice. But it is a CHOICE. You can't blame it on his advisors, especially since Mika has made no secret of the fact that he never listens to anyone anyway. And you can't blame it on Ariana's fans or Americans and their taste in music. The idea that the US is supposed to fall all over an artist who turns up once every 3 years to play a handful of clubs is ridiculous. Yes as music lovers we're all offended that no-talents like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus get more recognition in the US but they have devoted their lives to it and Mika rarely even comes here. You cannot succeed on talent alone. This is not some sad reality of the music industry, it is true for every career. And his work in continental Europe counts for nothing I'm afraid as far as any English speaking market goes.

We all know he is not prepared to do what it takes. It's a bit disappointing for me since he shifted his focus exclusively to continental Europe, but fine. It's his choice. But it is a CHOICE. You can't blame it on his advisors, especially since Mika has made no secret of the fact that he never listens to anyone anyway. And you can't blame it on Ariana's fans or Americans and their taste in music. The idea that the US is supposed to fall all over an artist who turns up once every 3 years to play a handful of clubs is ridiculous. Yes as music lovers we're all offended that no-talents like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus get more recognition in the US but they have devoted their lives to it and Mika rarely even comes here. You cannot succeed on talent alone. This is not some sad reality of the music industry, it is true for every career. And his work in continental Europe counts for nothing I'm afraid as far as any English speaking market goes.

:thumb_yello:

No need to say more...

It's on Billboard now. They update their charts on Thursdays, so I think you might have been looking a little before the update occurred.

I sure hope so. :crossed:

This is very sad, but it's also very typical. Mika was actually famous in most countries, while Ariana was still shaking her pretty-pom-pom in High School. Yet Mika has to tag himself on to her to get any attention.

Yes, it IS sad that Mika has to ride someone else's coattails to get some attention here in the US, but clearly that's what it takes. What I find ironic is that he tried it first with Pharrell, who managed to get just about everybody else a number one song this summer EXCEPT Mika, but it didn't happen until Ariana Grande. :aah:

I also don't understand how this Ariana situation can be interpreted as a negative for Mika. At absolute minimum he is going to receive royalties on the sales which is better than the $0 he'd be earning if they hadn't collaborated. I don't see the downside here. If it is released as a single and climbs the Hot 100 Mika's name will be out there. I had never heard of Mac Miller but every time The Way is mentioned Mac Miller is also mentioned along with Ariana's name. It doesn't matter who gets top billing, both their names are mentioned. And if it becomes a hit song everyone will look up the video and see Mika.

Exactly. I don't think we should be complaining that people are calling it Ariana's song ft Mika -- they are, after all, Ariana's fans so that's where their focus is. We should actually be grateful to them for pulling Mika along with Ariana's rising tide, IMO. If they weren't so fanatical about her, the song would still be languishing at the bottom of the chart, or would drop off the chart altogether. :blink:

Ariana's album charted so quickly because the girl has been in every pre-teen/teen face for the last 3 years while working on her album. She made 10 millions TV appearance and there are a few hundreds contests involving her...

That's right. She's been on TV here in the US for 3 years already, and she's got a very healthy teenage girl fanbase -- and I think it's pretty clear that demographic has a lot of influence over pop culture in general. Ariana is pretty, but not in a threatening way. She has a sweet innocence and girl-next-door quality that many can relate to, so she's become a real popular teen magazine and media darling. Her single, The Way, was released several months ago and got terrific reviews, comparisons to Mariah Carey, and had time to build over the summer, leading up to the album release. It's no wonder her album was such an "instant" hit. The ground work for it was laid perfectly.

We all know he is not prepared to do what it takes. It's a bit disappointing for me since he shifted his focus exclusively to continental Europe, but fine. It's his choice. But it is a CHOICE. You can't blame it on his advisors, especially since Mika has made no secret of the fact that he never listens to anyone anyway.

I have to say that when I read Mika quoted as saying that his management was appalled when he chose to do Italian X Factor, my heart sank. I was ready to blame that decision on his management, especially since I see what they've been having him do as far as advertisements -- Swatch, Hugo Boss, JBC, Lozza, etc. etc. I figured it was all THEM, not Mika. But I was wrong, and so that means the French Voice is all up to him as well. :sad: As Cath said, spending several months in Italy and France is far more appealing than traipsing around the US working to get your ass to number 1, but if that's what it takes isn't that what you ought to do? :dunno:

Oh well.

Agreed with all of this. The end. :thumb_yello:

This is good promo for Mika but yes he could do SO much better and take advantage of Popular and Ariana's success. But instead he'll be on Italian Xfactor. :( I honestly think he doesn't want any more success anymore, but it's his career and his choices. I just wish more people could discover what an incredible song writer and entertainer he is.

I think he thought he could get the success LICM had with limited promo as in 2007 it seemed to come so easily. I guess he got some blows and kind of gave up and doing these shows is an easy way to stay in the picture.

Which is a shame, because I think that with the right song and the right marketing techniques he could climb back up a long way. Unfortunately nowadays it's not music that is important. It is the person behind it. Ariana became so popular because of her persona. Her music came later but the fanbase was already established.

It's on Billboard now. They update their charts on Thursdays, so I think you might have been looking a little before the update occurred.

Oh cool. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. But I expect it's just a bump from her album release and it might slide again unless/until it's released as a single.

Yes, it IS sad that Mika has to ride someone else's coattails to get some attention here in the US, but clearly that's what it takes.

But who doesn't need to do this? At the very least everyone needs to tour with someone else to get started. Even Robbie Williams could not come here and expect to just walk into the fully formed success that he had in Europe. Adele managed to build up her career simulatenously on both sides of the Atlantic but it was clear within a few weeks in early 2007 that that wasn't going to happen for Mika. His success in the UK and US were not at the same level at all.

Sometimes I think having early phenomenal success in the UK is a real hindrance when it comes to breaking in the US. For American artists and even Adele it's a tough climb to get to the top but they are up for the challenge. When you're Robbie or Mika you are not just trying to get to the top but forcing yourself to take a huge step down to the near bottom first. I can understand how difficult that would be for Mika and why he's not willing to do it.

It is really the situation in the UK that has saddened me and made me lose hope that Mika's career as an English pop artist has a future that looks anything like the past. It would be great to see Mika have some success in the US so it would translate back to the UK. But as long as he's even moderately successful in continental Europe I don't see him taking a hit to his pocketbook and a blow to his ego to do what it takes in the US and UK. I also wonder if Mika's sensitivity to being rejected earlier in his life has an influence on the kinds of risks he's willing to take but that's another story.

This is good promo for Mika but yes he could do SO much better and take advantage of Popular and Ariana's success. But instead he'll be on Italian Xfactor. :( I honestly think he doesn't want any more success anymore, but it's his career and his choices. I just wish more people could discover what an incredible song writer and entertainer he is.

Yes, that's just it. He's free to do whatever suits him, I just wished more for him.

Oh cool. Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. But I expect it's just a bump from her album release and it might slide again unless/until it's released as a single.

Yes, already Popular Song has dropped off the iTunes Top 200. I read on Billboard that Ariana's album was #1 overall this week, but that 3/4 of her sales were from digital purchases. Her album was only #7 in physical sales. If those digital sales are falling so quickly, and Popular isn't released officially as an Ariana single, I fear it may have gotten all the mileage it's going to get. :dunno:

Robbie Williams has given up on trying to crack the US, saying that too much work is required for him to maintain a market there.

I wonder if Mika feels the same way?

I don't know, I hope not. But yeah, Robbie Williams is basically an unknown as far as mainstream US goes. He was never able to even scratch the surface of the market here.

i agree that it's very likely mika's own decision and responsibility and not of his advisors. i think what he wants is a) make music and b) keep his freedom as much as possible. and of course earn a good living. and the freedom might be the key point here. trying to break the US would mean spending lots and lots of time there, and doing interviews all the time when actually he prefers to make music. i don't think he likes the promotion part of his job very much. maybe he even prefers judging talent shows and doing commercials to doing lots of interviews and tv shows. at least in the talent shows he makes his own decisions (about the candidates), whereas promotion days are filled with appointments that are made for him by his record label.

and i remember he said in that fast forward mag interview last year that the fact that he's famous in so many countries gives him freedom. he also said that it's a different level of fame in each country, in one he can fill venues of several thousand, in another one it's just small venues - and i guess he's happy to just keep it that way. probably he even enjoys that in the UK and in the US, where he has his houses, he can go to the supermarket without getting mobbed by fans.

he's earning money from every sold copy of ariana's album, and since that's #1 in so many countries, i think that sums up to a LOT of money. :teehee: so i guess he doesn't care much about whether his name gets mentioned or not when someone writes about the song. it's easily earned money, it is even money earned with his music, and he doesn't have to do any promo for it, ariana does that job for him - i suppose that's more the way he sees this than seeing it as a chance to become more famous himself. :dunno:

Edited by mellody

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of this whole "It's everybody's fault but Mika's!"

I also don't see anything negative about this all. So what they say it is Ariana's song. Big f*cking deal. At least it is out there.

I don't intend to place "fault" on his lack of anything. It's not Ariana's "fault" that she's profiting so well. It's just a disappointment that it didn't turn out better for him here in this country. I feel like if I were somewhere else, it wouldn't bother me so much. But I really really wanted to see his name somewhere over here and I expected his work with Ariana to help that and it hasn't. Not a faulty situation, not negative for his artistry, just a disappointment for the sake of his representation.

i agree that it's very likely mika's own decision and responsibility and not of his advisors. i think what he wants is a) make music and b) keep his freedom as much as possible. and of course earn a good living. and the freedom might be the key point here. trying to break the US would mean spending lots and lots of time there, and doing interviews all the time when actually he prefers to make music. i don't think he likes the promotion part of his job very much. maybe he even prefers judging talent shows and doing commercials to doing lots of interviews and tv shows. at least in the talent shows he makes his own decisions (about the candidates), whereas promotion days are filled with appointments that are made for him by his record label.

and i remember he said in that fast forward mag interview last year that the fact that he's famous in so many countries gives him freedom. he also said that it's a different level of fame in each country, in one he can fill venues of several thousand, in another one it's just small venues - and i guess he's happy to just keep it that way. probably he even enjoys that in the UK and in the US, where he has his houses, he can go to the supermarket without getting mobbed by fans.

he's earning money from every sold copy of ariana's album, and since that's #1 in so many countries, i think that sums up to a LOT of money. :teehee: so i guess he doesn't care much about whether his name gets mentioned or not when someone writes about the song. it's easily earned money, it is even money earned with his music, and he doesn't have to do any promo for it, ariana does that job for him - i suppose that's more the way he sees this than seeing it as a chance to become more famous himself. :dunno:

Yes, this is much how it all looks to me too. Of course we can't know the truth, but I'm sure keeping his freedom is important for him. And he does look more excited about doing commercials, talent shows etc etc projects than he does about doing just promo like a lot of interviews and using social media (and I can very well understand him). And as you said, collaboration with Ariana brings him money (even without any promo) and is useful to him, was his name mentioned or not.

And I totally agree with everyone, it's all his choice. I'm still disappointed his record company didn't take any risks when TOOL was out. And I understand this is how it is, without immediate reaction to an album they don't invest in artists/promo. Still, even the start wasn't like it could have been and it felt wrong.

Yes, this is much how it all looks to me too. Of course we can't know the truth, but I'm sure keeping his freedom is important for him. And he does look more excited about doing commercials, talent shows etc etc projects than he does about doing just promo like a lot of interviews and using social media (and I can very well understand him). And as you said, collaboration with Ariana brings him money (even without any promo) and is useful to him, was his name mentioned or not.

And I totally agree with everyone, it's all his choice. I'm still disappointed his record company didn't take any risks when TOOL was out. And I understand this is how it is, without immediate reaction to an album they don't invest in artists/promo. Still, even the start wasn't like it could have been and it felt wrong.

I totally agree TOOL deserves better, still have a tiny hope but it is sad...:shocked:

Yes the Origin Of Love was amazing. So many potential and addictive hit songs in my opinion like Underwater, Love You When I'm Drunk, Lola, Overrated, Stardust, etc; He really showed off his song writing skills on that album :wub2: More people need to hear it!