MIKA to be Judge on XFactor 7 #XF7 Italia 2013

dcdeb

Two points I want to comment:

1) I always feel awkward when I read that Mika is better because he writes his own songs... Singing is on thing, writing abilities are another... Luckily, some can combine the two. Does it make someone like Celine Dion, probably THE singer of our century, less of a singer because she doesn't write her songs? Does it make someone like Luc Plamondon, who wrote many very important and successful French songs, including some Celine's success, less of a writer?

If we're talking about "artists" then yes that's how I feel. Bob Dylan is a brilliant writer but I could not enjoy his music if others did not interpret it for him. Likewise I do not want to hear Celine Dion singing the alphabet. It doesn't mean Celine Dion is not a brilliant vocalist but her performances do not resonate in the same way as Adele's do (for me). Adele sang Someone Like You at the Brits (I think it was) and cried real tears because she wrote this song while her heart was being ripped out and was now reliving that pain in front of the world, probably knowing that her ex-boyfriend and his new love would see it. Celine Dion will never give a performance like that.

Hearing Toy Boy for the first time is one of my fondest memories of Mika. It is lyrically brilliant but more importantly it revealed so much about Mika at that time. Had it been sung by someone else it would have been empty, had it been written by someone else it would have been meaningless.

I would kill to sing like Celine Dion or Leona Lewis so I appreciate their talents immensely but it is a different thing than being a singer-songwriter.

why always say that because you got onown through a talent show necessarily equals to "he got molded into/he doesn't make his own music"? It's not always the case... At least, in my province it's not:thumb_yello:

I'm not sure if we're talking about all talent shows here, but the ones in the Simon Cowell factory.

Well, it kind of is. If you win ex: LA Voix, you have a very strict contract for many years. You have to sing what they choose & do what they say. My friend was happy to have the exposure of the voice, without the restriction of the winner. The best of both worlds lol

He's going to The Voice USA, should be interesting :)

Well, it kind of is. If you win ex: LA Voix, you have a very strict contract for many years. You have to sing what they choose & do what they say.

This is a former X Factor UK contestant. Same song, same girl, two different markets and she is totally unrecognizable from one video to the other. In one she looks like a naughty 16 year old girl. In the other she looks like a sophisticated 24 year old woman. I highly doubt it was her idea to completely remake her image for the US market and if Mika had been her judge on X Factor it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to what you see here. That's why I say to Dermoment that Mika's behaviour on the show doesn't change how I feel about this. He can give them all the advice in the world about staying true to themselves but they are not in control of their image and their music the way that Mika was. Mika was able to negotiate that before he signed. These contestants sign their rights away by appearing on the show.

inwAc-ZBpx0

LPgvNlrBfb0

1) I always feel awkward when I read that Mika is better because he writes his own songs... Singing is on thing, writing abilities are another... Luckily, some can combine the two. Does it make someone like Celine Dion, probably THE singer of our century, less of a singer because she doesn't write her songs? Does it make someone like Luc Plamondon, who wrote many very important and successful French songs, including some Celine's success, less of a writer?

2) why always say that because you got onown through a talent show necessarily equals to "he got molded into/he doesn't make his own music"? It's not always the case... At least, in my province it's not:thumb_yello:

I don't really agree with Celine Dion being the singer of the century but then again her music is not my taste :naughty:

I adore Adam Lambert who got in second on American Idol. However when I compare his first album which was made right after Idols and penned by other writers, to his second then his second is far more superior also because he wrote/co-wrote those songs himself. It is not always the case and it is also a matter of taste but I enjoy a performance more when it comes from the heart and has a personal story behind it.

Edited by IngievV

This is a song he wrote himself. He starts singing at 2.58 but it is a good thing to listen to the message as well.

[YOUTUBE]_9SqAPcLGq4[/YOUTUBE]

This is a performance which touches me more than this one:

[YOUTUBE]ErNT6hHezYk[/YOUTUBE]

Different kind of songs maybe. Both good performances. The first one has more emotion. Far more emotion.

Or watch this:

[YOUTUBE]d9RpeiTbkuw[/YOUTUBE]

Before going on stage she got a text of her then husband who said he wanted a divorce. She then sang a song she wrote called the one that got away and broke down in tears. That is what I prefer to see in a performance. Not that they break down in tears all the time but emotion. A connection to a song. That is so much harder when you did not write it yourself.

Chances of finding an Adam or Jennifer are very small. I didn't become a fan of Adam until after Idol and honestly whenever I see those shows now I am never impressed. But that is just my opinion. So no, still not interested in talent shows :naughty:

I never said Mika did not have fun on this show or that he wasn't a good coach. I just prefer him not to do a new season because I personally think his music and touring is more important.

Even Demi Lovato can't combine the two: http://www.popjustice.com/thenews/demi-lovatos-leaving-us-x-factor-to-concentrate-on-singing/122604/

Who says Mika can?

But once again, we shall not discuss this further until there are definite plans.

Indeed. Gary Barlow has quit the UK X Factor because of his solo album and tour, also Take That are starting recording next year and have a tour to prepare for, so he doesn't have time for being a judge now.

2) why always say that because you got onown through a talent show necessarily equals to "he got molded into/he doesn't make his own music"? It's not always the case... At least, in my province it's not:thumb_yello:

It is in the UK.

I don't really agree with Celine Dion being the singer of the century but then again her music is not my taste :naughty:

I adore Adam Lambert who got in second on American Idol. However when I compare his first album which was made right after Idols and penned by other writers, to his second then his second is far more superior also because he wrote/co-wrote those songs himself. It is not always the case and it is also a matter of taste but I enjoy a performance more when it comes from the heart and has a personal story behind it.

I'm very far from being a Celine fan, probably because of the overdose exposition I got as a child when she was singing very lame songs. But you can't deny she has an impressive voice.

I love Adam Lambert. But my favorite American Idol alumni is James Durbin. The guy sang Judas Priest on TV...http://youtu.be/MLNxG7NTi8w

This is a former X Factor UK contestant. Same song, same girl, two different markets and she is totally unrecognizable from one video to the other.

She looks totally the same for me :blink:, like a silly 16 year old girl in both vids, only difference is the more expensive clothes in the 2nd video. For real, I was even asking myself shortly if you accidently put a wrong video as 2nd one. But I get the general point you wanted to show :wink2:

I highly doubt it was her idea to completely remake her image for the US market and if Mika had been her judge on X Factor it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to what you see here.

But this molding is done by special people, if the "wrong people" are working with the contestants. And isn't this problem a general one, especially for artists who are singing songs written from others, not a specific one for casting shows? It happens so often outside of Casting Shows as well. Clearly it's obviously happening in some casting shows - but if it's happening there must it necessarily mean that it will happen with every casting show (of this format)?

And I think here is a point where it actually matters what the judges are doing in the show and which kind of contestants are encouraged and how. Because the potential buyers are the viewers and voters and they are "selected" and influenced from the specific of the show. And if people appreciated and voted for example Michele as the winner because he is Michele they will rather buy his single and album if they are Michele-like.

I don't know, although I'm in general more a "full artist listener", I don't think (anymore, especially after seeing a good example in Germany 3 years ago) that casting shows are bad because being casting shows, but only bad if the wrong people are doing them. And "part one" of XF Italy, the show itself, was rather influenced by the "good guys" with the work of the judges in my view. How "part two", the after show part, will be nobody knows of course now. But that the contestants of the semi finale all had an indedito fitting for them is at least one thing that shows in the right direction right now. And for the sake of Michele I really hope that XF Italy will end up as one of the good examples also for part two.

I've just discovered that the EPs of Violetta, Ape Escape, Aba, Andrea & Michele are available in Spotify Germany now. So I assume they are worldwide available on Spotify now, and probably on other streaming platforms worldwide as well. So if anybody here uses a streaming service and wants to listen to them, it should probably work :thumb_yello:

This is a special gift from Mika to Violetta.

violetta-zironi-mostra-il-regalo-di-mika.jpg

"I wanted to thank the man who gave me this," writes Violetta Zironi on on its official Facebook page, alluding to a small but - for her - very important gift. A pendant, engraved with the names of Violet and Mika. "The man who helped me realize my dream, who believed in me, who raised me, protected and saved me in the two months of X Factor ... Thanks Mika," :blush-anim-cl:

http://www.meltybuzz.it/violetta-svela-il-regalo-di-mika-mi-ha-aiutata-a-realizzare-il-mio-sogno-a119350.html

Edited by Marta.

This is a special gift from Mika to Violetta.

violetta-zironi-mostra-il-regalo-di-mika.jpg

"I wanted to thank the man who gave me this," writes Violetta Zironi on on its official Facebook page, alluding to a small but - for her - very important gift. A pendant, engraved with the names of Violet and Mika. "The man who helped me realize my dream, who believed in me, who raised me, protected and saved me in the two months of X Factor ... Thanks Mika," :blush-anim-cl:

http://www.meltybuzz.it/violetta-svela-il-regalo-di-mika-mi-ha-aiutata-a-realizzare-il-mio-sogno-a119350.html

He gave a gift like that to Gaia, Roberta and Valentina as well :wink2:

• 3 weeks later...
Dear MHP jr,

Tonight you'll be back on tv, and many, so many Italian people will admire you again.

I don't mean see you again. ADMIRE you.

As you admire a rare thing, or a new one. Or both.

You know, here it rarely happens to hear someone REALLY TRYING to use a correct Italian, the correct syntax and terms - you have also a better pronounciation than certain anchorwomen!

Here in Italy it's a new thing that a foreign artist, when he's on tv, is not keeping within the lines of a "addoro Italia. Spaghetti mmmmmmhhh gnam gnam" (don't need to translate, right :naughty:?), but he's doing his job, I mean dancing or singing - supposing that he's able to do it, isn't he, Alicia Silversted?

It's rare that - here in Italy - you go on tv and you are so well-behaved! Almost BBC stuff!

And finally, dear Mika, it's really so new that a young Man has ideas so clear about what democracy, freedom, equal rights are, and commits himself to defend them or- regarding Italy - to conquer them, that seeing you, a foreigner, doing this for us, is quite touching.

We are strange people: generous, but without a iota of idea about doing something together for the common good. It's the same since Guelphs and Ghibellines Times.

And then this damned indolence, that make us delegate others to do most complicated things.

Ruling a country, setting moral rules, counting money of a bill after having pizza with our classmates, paying taxes: we always hope that someone will come and volunteer instead of us.

But we all are certain of this: we love you, you know that by now.

I think that it's because you didn't come to teach to anybody, you set an example, at most.

This is Europe. Not only circulating goods, but IDEAS. That become common ones and then common rights.

You are really perfect, Mika.

If you only didn't sing in falsetto...hell, no, there are people who like it...

It's just that you don't know how you feel when you have in the national repertoire the Cugini di Campagna!

Well, I keep that for myself, for now.

With all my soul (I think that with "anima" he refers too to one of the most famous songs of Cugini di Campagna, "Anima mia")

Diego

Reading this and :swoon:ing :wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

Indeed. Gary Barlow has quit the UK X Factor because of his solo album and tour, also Take That are starting recording next year and have a tour to prepare for, so he doesn't have time for being a judge now.

But, regarding GB, being on X Factor UK was his best move ever. It got him recognized again, so that, just a few weeks ago, he performed a huge televised gig. This is why I wish Mika had done X Factor UK, and why I hope he will do something on TV here. Because, in the long run, it helps, not hinders, a musician's career.

• 4 weeks later...
But, regarding GB, being on X Factor UK was his best move ever. It got him recognized again, so that, just a few weeks ago, he performed a huge televised gig. This is why I wish Mika had done X Factor UK, and why I hope he will do something on TV here. Because, in the long run, it helps, not hinders, a musician's career.

He didn't need X Factor to be noticed, Take That were back on top long before he decided to go on it, and he was quite popular again from that.

I think that the goal is not "being popular again" but being popular in a different way. I think the goal is to find a way to introduce an artistic world that has changed compared to the past and that many people who followed him before, did not know . To reach this goal, popular television is a very effective way, because it gives you TIME, the time it takes people to really understand who you are. And to accept new and different things that will come. People to change their minds is not easy, but with popular television it is possible. His success in Italy and France gives you the prove. :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Marta.

I think that the goal is not "being popular again" but being popular in a different way. I think the goal is to find a way to introduce an artistic world that has changed compared to the past and that many people who followed him before, did not know . To reach this goal, popular television is a very effective way, because it gives you TIME, the time it takes people to really understand who you are. And to accept new and different things that will come. People to change their minds is not easy, but with popular television it is possible. His success in Italy and France gives you the prove. :mf_rosetinted:

Well said :thumb_yello: