MIKA to be Judge on XFactor 7 #XF7 Italia 2013

dcdeb

Well he said he got offers again from the UK so I hope that is true and works out.

And it's not that I dismiss his success in Italy, it just doesn't work if you look at the big picture and I would react exactly the same if it was happening in Holland. It's not about Italians. Is it just so bad that we want him to be successful everywhere instead of just in 2 markets?

Plus Universal or any record company never funds tours. That is not in their hands but in the hands of promoters. He needs to find good promoters to fund his tours not rely on the record company. And I know this because I was told by someone from Universal.

He needs to hire Super Star promoters, indeed :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Mousetrap

Shall we make a bet how many of those random Italians who queued for his signing will still be around a year from now? Yes he gained some fans but the majority of those people gave zero f*cks about his music and only cared about his celebrity status. These are not going to be the people buying his albums. Haven't you heard about the lady who returned the songbook cd after she didn't get to meet him? I'm sure she is not the only one who doesn't care about his music.

No matter how much you twist or spin this, if you want to get new fans and regain popularity, Italy is not the country you should go looking for it.

He should go back to the UK. Many people queued for the swatch signing. He still has a group of fans left. If he has the UK back in his hands he can go and do whatever he wants but Italy makes zero sense.

tbh, i think more of the new italian fans will be buying his next album than there were fans queueing at the london swatch signing... but well, i can't prove you wrong, sure, you might be right. i can't tell how many of the new italian fans will be left next year. the lady you're talking about might as well have had the album at home already and bought it a 2nd time just for the signing, we don't know that. and don't you think those fans will go to his concerts as well, even if it's just because they want to see him in person? and his concerts can do magic, as you know... :naughty:

i just don't know what his plan is to come back in the uk, if the most important radio station bbc1 doesn't play him anymore because they think his music is "too old for their audience" or whatever. he was on bbc2 and several other stations with some songs of OOL, he even had an appearance in a tv show of the olympic games, but all of this didn't get him anywhere. :sad: sure, like in germany i'd say celebrate was the wrong single. but maybe it's also like he says, he'd have to write music "for the radio", which he doesn't seem to be interested in. understandably. imo it would be much more prostituting himself than he is by doing xfactor, because he would be prostituting his music if he wrote songs just for being radio-friendly. and he also doesn't have this "brand new" bonus anymore that he had in 2007. or maybe he just prefers the easy way, earn his living in those countries where he doesn't have to beg and plea to the radio stations to play his songs. sure, you're right, success in the uk would help him lots more worldwide than success in italy... but maybe he simply doesn't see a chance for it, that can be achieved with what he's prepared to do. :dunno:

What he did is completely disappear off the face of the earth to people who were not obsessively following him and that's exactly what he's doing now. Unless you are in Italy which is a tiny portion of the people who have bought his albums, Mika does not exist. Except now even many of the people who have been obsessively following him for 7 years don't wanna know.

i understand your point about the reasons why fans feel abandoned. for those fans who obsessively followed him, i'm sure you're right. like i said before, i also see them leaving, and although it's far from my own thinking, i don't deny that mika's side projects and disappearing to other countries is their reason. but that's a minority, and you were talking about "millions" who bought his albums. as a matter of fact, i think many just bought licm because they liked grace kelly. or relax. and since they didn't find a song on tbwktm that they liked equally as much, or didn't even get to hear about the album because the songs weren't on the radio nearly as much as those of licm, they stopped buying his music. it's sad but true, but there just isn't another song like grace kelly in mika's repertoire. imo it's the kind of song that happens only every few years or so, and you can't just sit down and write a song like that easily, so i'm not surprised he hasn't managed since. what's also true of course is that a lot of worse songs than mika's are played on the radio and climb the charts every day. continuous presence of the artist in the media surely is one reason for this, you're right with that.

we all know by now, including mika, that his decision to hide from the world while making tbwktm was wrong. and then he relied on the promotion his label did for him, hoping it would be enough to sell the 2nd album as well as the first. he probably made several wrong decisions in the past and yes, doing xfactor a 2nd time might be another wrong decision, who knows. but at the point where he was at the end of last year, with sales being far from what he had hoped and universal stopping the promotion, i can totally understand his decision to look for new markets instead of trying again and again to get the old fans/listeners back. and after the success that he had in italy this year, because of it, he might not want to give up this new market again.

but if he really has offers in the uk, like he said, and it's offers that could possibly get him back on track there, then i also would much prefer if he took those, instead of doing another xfactor. :thumb_yello: and i hope he thinks like that too.

Edited by mellody

I also love him for his personality. The good sides and the bad and I've seen both:naughty:. Had it just been his music I liked, I would have left a long time ago. That doesn't take away that I personally won't like him doing any other talent show whether it is in Italy, France or Madagascar.

Madagascar is not a good idea :aah: Be careful with your words, please :teehee:

A few appearances don't make a difference. You have to grind it. That's why Katy is in the UK and in Germany a million times during promo tours because those are the most important yet hardest markets to conquer. Unless you are Beyonce.:mf_rosetinted:

Ingie, it's not a problem of being successful in which market. it's a much more plain issue of finding enough money.

X-factor in the UK seems so mean in respect of the same in Italy, as many say.

So why wanting him degrade himself in the uk and not in italy or France? he won't be successful in the UK, because his music is not the right one for that market. So we might even have him in the UK and then being a total failure.

I don't think we should reason in terms of being successful in some markets and not in others. he only has to find enough money to keep on making the music he wants (and give us the music we like to hear hehehehehe).

Ingie, it's not a problem of being successful in which market. it's a much more plain issue of finding enough money.

X-factor in the UK seems so mean in respect of the same in Italy, as many say.

So why wanting him degrade himself in the uk and not in italy or France? he won't be successful in the UK, because his music is not the right one for that market. So we might even have him in the UK and then being a total failure.

I don't think we should reason in terms of being successful in some markets and not in others. he only has to find enough money to keep on making the music he wants (and give us the music we like to hear hehehehehe).

I don't want him to do the X-factor in the UK. In my ideal world these talent shows would have ceased to exist a while ago :naughty:.

And who says he will fail? He wasn't popular in Italy with his music before X-factor. And still France makes more sense as it has a bigger influence on other countries as more people speak French than Italian.

I just want world domination okay.:mf_rosetinted:

A few appearances don't make a difference. You have to grind it. That's why Katy is in the UK and in Germany a million times during promo tours because those are the most important yet hardest markets to conquer. Unless you are Beyonce.:mf_rosetinted:

Ha, I think Katy will be able to pull a Beyonce in a few years if she keeps laying the foundation. Mika tore down his foundation after LICM. He even admitted it at the time. As if he enjoyed the challenge of it. Unfortunately it backfired and he just keeps tearing down his foundations over and over with every album IMO. Also I think trying to build on celebrity instead of your music fans is building on a house of cards but I guess we'll see.

Can't even remember who I wanted to quote so not quoting anyone, lol. Just wanted to say that I've always thought he doesn't need to explain and justify his decisions to his fans. Well of course I can't speak for anyone else but at least he doesn't owe any explanation to me. I don't even mind if he gives his standard answers in interviews because it really can't be so easy to always open up to every random journalist (especially if things didn't go as he originally planned, if he feels disappointed because of it or if he needs to gather his thoughts). Later, when he feels ready, he will share bits and pieces, maybe even write a blog like he did when recording TOOL (and it was very genuine, imo).

I've invested a lot in this singer, and not talking about money or my time but everything (thinking, emotions and a lot of effort to be able to see his shows) but his music has brought me so much inspiration and joy back that I feel the least I can do is to have faith in him, give him space to do his work and trust he is doing what is best in his current situation. People are not machines and we don't know what his real options are.

I don't try to twist anything, I can see some fans are not happy he is doing so much in Italy and after people complaining about France for years it can't be a surprise to him either but he needs to search his options and try to do the best possible decisions.

Can't even remember who I wanted to quote so not quoting anyone, lol. Just wanted to say that I've always thought he doesn't need to explain and justify his decisions to his fans. Well of course I can't speak for anyone else but at least he doesn't owe any explanation to me. I don't even mind if he gives his standard answers in interviews because it really can't be so easy to always open up to every random journalist (especially if things didn't go as he originally planned, if he feels disappointed because of it or if he needs to gather his thoughts). Later, when he feels ready, he will share bits and pieces, maybe even write a blog like he did when recording TOOL (and it was very genuine, imo).

I've invested a lot in this singer, and not talking about money or my time but everything (thinking, emotions and a lot of effort to be able to see his shows) but his music has brought me so much inspiration and joy back that I feel the least I can do is to have faith in him, give him space to do his work and trust he is doing what is best in his current situation. People are not machines and we don't know what his real options are.

I don't try to twist anything, I can see some fans are not happy he is doing so much in Italy and after people complaining about France for years it can't be a surprise to him either but he needs to search his options and try to do the best possible decisions.

Very wise words as usual, Nina :thumb_yello: I have nothing more to add!

Mika doesn't owe me an explanation for his choices and unless he saves me from a burning building, I don't owe him my blind support. If you feel different about that, that is your prerogative but it is not the way I feel.

Just pulling out random quotes that I wanted to respond to, in no particular order. Hopefully this will make some sort of sense.

Just wanted to say that I've always thought he doesn't need to explain and justify his decisions to his fans.

I don't think that anyone is asking for Mika to explain or justify his decisions. :dunno: I think we see the choices he's making and we're trying to understand them. That's what all this discussion is about. We each have our own opinions about why he's doing what he's doing, and we're trying to either understand his reasoning (not asking him to explain), or we're expressing our disappointment in his choices. That's all. No demanding any further explanation from Mika at all, no matter how enlightening it would be to have this sort of discussion with him.

Keeping on dismissing his success in 'minor' markets as we keep on doing here, is just keeping i.e. Italian fans off this forum. It's something subtle and not intentional,, but it sounds so unfriendly. I know this is a discussion forum, but we have discussed this so long time now, I think we should move on.

I take your point, I do. But, you know, there are as many fans here defending Mika's actions and his work in the other markets as there are those who are criticizing him. Perhaps for those who do not speak English fluently it is intimidating or confusing or sounds unfriendly. I'm sure there is a lot that gets lost in the translation. We have to rely on those of you who are multilingual to help interpret or explain that while there may be some negative words, they are not directed at one country or one group in particular, it is not personal, it is just part of a general discussion. Believe me, I do NOT like confrontation or arguing. I am generally a positive person, and I personally am ready to move on from this discussion. But I know that this is how discussion forums, and the MFC in particular, work, and as much as I might ask people to leave it and move on, no one will until they are ready to do so.

No I don't think we should have separate threads. No matter how we differ in our thoughts, it all comes from our love of Mika. This is a forum, so all views and opinions of Mika on X Factor are worth discussing on one thread. I would never want MFC to become two factions.

Well said, Marilyn. Thanks! :thumb_yello:

No. I will be banned :mf_rosetinted:

:blink: I hope you're joking. We don't ban people arbitrarily, or just for disagreeing with a moderator. Have you ever seen it work that way here?

I can add, the XF is done, it's in the past! Let's moan about The Voice :aah:

:lmfao:

I haven't fully recovered from X Factor yet! I don't think I'm ready for that! Can we wait until after Christmas??? :wink2:

Actually, what I wanted to say, that I see the main reason why we disagree with Ingie and Christine. In fact, I became his fan not because of his music. I was listening LICM till i new it by heart, but still I wasn't crazy about Mika himself. So, only after I discovered his interviews and vlogs I fell in love. His personality is more important for me, not only his music. That's why if he ever choose to drop the music and became writer, designer or illustrator, I will follow him anyway.

Don't be mistaken, his music is of the greatest importance for me as well. I'm impationally waiting for more! But at the same time i'm interested in everything he does to the same extend.

I have nothing against Italy and hope that no one takes it that way. If I still lived in Europe I'd be going there once a month and be eating my way up and down the country. :teehee:

When the news first broke people said to me if it was my country I would be happy about it but I would not and I mean it. Mika came to Toronto in 2009 to present an award on MuchMusic and even though it was less than a 15 minute walk from my house I was not there. I don't care about this stuff. It doesn't give me a thrill to just breathe the same air as Mika. Or watch him in a judge's chair.

I think there are only a few markets in the world that are worth investing this extraordinary amount of promotional time if your goal is to bring your music to the world and not just to supplement lost income. I never moan that Mika doesn't focus more on Canada, I'd rather see him investing his efforts in the US and UK because they will export him to the rest of the world so he can kill 20 birds with one stone.

Yeah and to say he is only popular in Italy and France is not true. When he did Paul de Leeuw here last year, his album shot back into the charts. It is all about doing promo and investing time in that. It is up to him if he wants the easy way out but I can't be bothered with it.

And there is this misconception that I only like him for his music. That is not true. I know him well enough by now to care for him as a person and I want him to be successful everywhere. I am not interested in everything he does. Maybe in writing as that is something I do myself but certainly not some entertainmen reality show. No matter how lovely I think he is, he can't convince me that those shows are different from any other or worth my time.

I don't think that anyone is asking for Mika to explain or justify his decisions. :dunno: I think we see the choices he's making and we're trying to understand them. That's what all this discussion is about. We each have our own opinions about why he's doing what he's doing, and we're trying to either understand his reasoning (not asking him to explain), or we're expressing our disappointment in his choices. That's all. No demanding any further explanation from Mika at all, no matter how enlightening it would be to have this sort of discussion with him.

Yes, I understand people need to express their disappointment. I guess that's the whole point of different discussion forums :thumb_yello: I don't know why I so often find the tone so demanding and accusing.

If someone is interested I saw this on twitter :wink2:

Marco Mengoni nuovo giudice di XFactor 8 - Elio e Mika abbandonano il talent

http://www.daringtodo.com/lang/it/2013/12/17/marco-mengoni-nuovo-giudice-di-x-factor-8-elio-e-mika-abbandonano-il-talent/

And if I understand right that's good news for us? :wink2: (No idea where all these rumors come from though...)

Yes, I understand people need to express their disappointment. I guess that's the whole point of different discussion forums :thumb_yello:I don't know why I so often find the tone so demanding and accusing.

I get that impression too:blink:

On that link it's written Mika will release his album in january .... :blink:

Scoperto il giudice che sostituirà Elio, è ancora sconosciuto il nome del giudice che sostituirà Mika, impegnato nella promozione del suo album che uscirà a Gennaio 2014.

Found out the judge who will be taking over Elio, but it's still unknow the name of the one who will take over on Mika, busy in the promotion of his album, which will be released in january 2014.

I think journalists are stretching it out.

I read vanity fair interview about che tempo che fa and the article was a bit twisted, so I don't trust journalists. Besides won't he be busy with the voice in january?

Edited by Elwendin

If someone is interested I saw this on twitter :wink2:

Marco Mengoni nuovo giudice di XFactor 8 - Elio e Mika abbandonano il talent

http://www.daringtodo.com/lang/it/2013/12/17/marco-mengoni-nuovo-giudice-di-x-factor-8-elio-e-mika-abbandonano-il-talent/

That news is unreliable ;) actually, I think all the judges will change next year: Morgan only stayed this year because of Mika, Elio was begged and begged and only signed the contract a few days before the auditions, and Simona always said she is not doing it if Morgan is not there. Marco Mengoni's name was just an assumption from the media, simply because he starred as a guest judge. But I've read a few interviews and he says this year he's making a new album and a new tour. :)

That news is unreliable ;) actually, I think all the judges will change next year: Morgan only stayed this year because of Mika, Elio was begged and begged and only signed the contract a few days before the auditions, and Simona always said she is not doing it if Morgan is not there. Marco Mengoni's name was just an assumption from the media, simply because he starred as a guest judge. But I've read a few interviews and he says this year he's making a new album and a new tour. :)

So everything is totally open. Can you remember what time the news were officially announced last year?

Yes, I understand people need to express their disappointment. I guess that's the whole point of different discussion forums :thumb_yello: I don't know why I so often find the tone so demanding and accusing.

It certainly is not my intention to come across like that but I feel the same way about some others here as well. Sometimes I get the feeling that you're not allowed to say anything that is not what others feel like because then you are a hater and you don't support Mika. There are always 2 sides to every story. And I for one would never demand him to do anything. Had that been the case I wouldn't have stayed around while he was doing XFactor. Ido hope Nina that you know me better than that.

But if the rumours are true we can all move on and be happy.