MIKA to be Judge on XFactor 7 #XF7 Italia 2013

dcdeb

You do realize that 5% was just a hypothetical and not the actual percentage right? It could be 95% for all we know. The point is that Mika goes to great lengths to exhibit cultural sensitivity everywhere he goes - except, in this case, Britain. What purpose does it serve to piss off even 1 fan in the audience? One thing is for certain is that 99% of the people in that audience had never heard of the song because it is not available to purchase in the UK so it's not like they are going to be upset if it's not on the setlist. There is a good reason why it's not included on the English version of the album.

If I remember well, he said a few times when he was making the album that what he really wanted was a French song every 2 songs, but he was not hopeful that it would be accepted. Maybe inserting a few French songs in foreign gigs (and even in the UK) was his way to 'selfishly' make up for it.

Also, I know it must be strange that he started off in French at that particular gig especially with our long conflicting history but London is also the 4th French city in terms of number of French ppl living there. I don't think he thought he was making a mistake at all..

If I remember well, he said a few times when he was making the album that what he really wanted was a French song every 2 songs, but he was not hopeful that it would be accepted. Maybe inserting a few French songs in foreign gigs (and even in the UK) was his way to 'selfishly' make up for it.

Also, I know it must be strange that he started off in French at that particular gig especially with our long conflicting history but London is also the 4th French city in terms of number of French ppl living there. I don't think he thought he was making a mistake at all..

i think he just kept his set list from other gigs, without regards to where he was.

it could be considered a little faux pas... like the time he was in Scotland & said something about being his last gig in the UK (or something of the sort... i can't remember exactly:teehee:)

i think he just kept his set list from other gigs, without regards to where he was.

But he didn't sing Un Soleil Mal Luné anywhere in the UK except London I think? So it seems like it was a deliberate choice of song for London

Maybe inserting a few French songs in foreign gigs (and even in the UK) was his way to 'selfishly' make up for it.

I am not trying to crucify Mika. I am simply stating that this kind of thing builds on an already existing and legitimate sense of alienation that many fans have felt over the past few years. It is easier and less resource intensive to keep the fans you already have than to seek new ones. This is just common sense. If Mika is going to compromise his artistic choices it seems a lot less painful to sing English songs at an English gig than it does to spend a year learning Italian because his English fanbase is dwindling. Wouldn't you say?

Anyway that is the last I'm going to say on it as anyone who will understand my point has already done so and the rest will continue to place 100% of the blame on his record company or the poor tastes of the public for losing fans in markets where he is not successful.

it could be considered a little faux pas... like the time he was in Scotland & said something about being his last gig in the UK (or something of the sort... i can't remember exactly:teehee:)

hmm, i don't think so... i was there at the soundcheck in vienna (because of being in the choir) and he discussed with the band what song they'd do first. they tried a few options, then mika decided, and between the soundcheck and the gig changed his mind again, so we got new instructions. :teehee: i don't think he thought about it less for london than he did for vienna. he might just have thought it would work, for whatever reason. but if he didn't do it again the next day in manchester (which i don't even remember :aah:), he probably noticed himself that it was the wrong decision for the uk. or he thought a slow song would be good for a start in london, because of the snow he let rain on the crowd during the intro... and well, he doesn't have such a big choice of slow songs...

anyway, i'm going off topic here, it has nothing to do with xfactor at all. sorry. :aah:

That would be in Dublin:wink2:

But he didn't sing Un Soleil Mal Luné anywhere in the UK except London I think? So it seems like it was a deliberate choice of song for London

Just to point out, he's never sang any French songs in London before, I think a lot of the audience that night were wondering why he was singing one then.

I assumed it was because it was an easy song for his voice at the time as it had been taking a bit of a beating at that time. I was puzzled at his choice, but it was quite a pleasant song to start the show with.

After following all the XFactor Italy and read all this thread .... just saying ....

I never watch before and do not like this kind of show, I confess I only watched this show because Mika participated :naughty: and it was a pleasant surprise, I liked it :wub2:

I want to share my thoughts and this is just my point of view: :wink2:

- I hope he does not participate in the other, it was great but I believe that it will not work on another occasion, neither the tv show or artistic career.

- It worked for me because the Italian language is easy to understand in my case and I believe to many Latino fans, many accompanied him for this reason.

- Unfortunately I will not follow The Voice, for two simple reasons: 1) I do not like the format of this program, once time I watched a small piece of The Voice and was shocked, the fact of the chair getting her back to the singer I think is nonsense, lack of respect, I discussed this with friends who think differently from me and not changed my mind, I found it disgusting :mf_rosetinted:

2) And the fact that the French language is difficult for me, I love the language, even I no understanding, I love french music, I love the country, watch short Mika's interviews in french .... but follow a long program like this I think need a greater understanding, even with the translation effort of mfcrs friends :wub2: language is a barrier for Latinos (some friends my not all latinos), so I understand that it will lose a large online audience, different what happened with Italy.

And it all is no about countries, is about Mika .... career .... tour .... world domination lol :naughty:

:huglove: sorry my typing errors :blush-anim-cl:

Karin I don't want to belabour the discussions except to say I'm not referring to a comment Mika made about X Factor. I'm talking about the whole motive for writing Grace Kelly. The whole concept behind the "purple pop stars" video. The people behind these shows produce them so that they can mold raw talent into purple pop stars and...kachinga! If no one has a problem with that, that's fine, but it bothers me.

Christine, I have a problem with that.

And actually it was one of the main reasons why I started watching XF. I needed to know if Mika had stopped being himself because of dumping his main principles. Not changing artistically for anybody and doing what you want as an artist is one of the things I admire about him.

And if he would have betrayed these principles because of him being part of pressing people into a shape, than I could not have been longer a fan in the way I was before.

So I started watching, with the millions of different opinions going from "worst thing on earth" to "best thing on earth" with all shadows inbetween, from Mika himself and all the people taking part in the discussions, I just had to see it with my own eyes.

And what I saw wasn't that bad. Mika was just Mika there like we "know" him, being witty, having interesting thoughts, telling his own opinion after the performances.

And he did choose three girls that where unique in their own way, all having their style. And all being able to retain their own style over the show, with Mika choosing songs fitting for them and Mika working hard with them (sometimes very hard, probably wasn't easy for them all the time) with the intention to improve what is in them, not to change them into something different. Sometimes even "fighting" to get there uniqueness out again (For some reason Gaia, a person and singer with very own nonconformist personality, was "selfblocking" herself after the first episode, until she found herself again in later stages.)

And as a coach Morgan convinced me very much. He may look strange with his costumes while sitting on the table, but I think he is very sensible when working as coach with his contestants regarding "getting" what is the special thing about a singer and to make the singer show it.

He for sure did a great job with Michele, the winner. And Michele has won exactly because he is Michele. Not because he was pressed into being somebody else. Than he probably would have never won, because being Michele is just what is his strong point. Because he has a special voice, because he made the songs his own with interpretating them in a way where he gave them much meaning.

I don't know what will happen now with him and how his album will be. I hope not purple, than I would be very pissed. But at the shows he wasn't painted purple for sure and the EP is not a purple disc either.

I don't want to say with all of this that XF Italy is the Holy Grail of music or something like that, it's not. It has its borders, one of them simply because of its format of being a casting show, with the concept of people being "only" interpreters, no "full" artists who are writing own songs and singing them. And XF has even some more borders than some other casting shows because you aren't allowed to sing your own songs or play instruments and there is most of the time no live band, like it's possible in other Casting Shows. And I think it's strange that the Judges are deciding the songs.

But inbetween these borders you can work against the personality of the contestants or with the personality of the contestants (and make "kachinga" because having viewers and CD buyers because you are molding the contestants into something that is sellable or because leaving them how they are and make money because of that). And the intention of the Judges seemed the second thing for me (talking about Morgan, Mika & Elio, Simona is more complicated, but that would go to far now).

And with a short part of what Mika was saying to Michele after one of his performances I want to end now.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v65373582642ZfzBa

"Voglio dire una cosa molto importante, una cosa molto molto molto importante. Noi possiamo solamente lavorare con te mentre che siamo insieme in questo studio mentre che facciamo X-Facto, dopo, voglio dire una cosa che tu non devi dimenticare mai: tu non devi cambiare con la pressione della compagnia discografica, tu devi rimanere lo stesso. Questo è la cosa la più importante perché veramente abbiamo bisogno, in questo momento in Italia, ma anche in tutte le parte del mondo, abbiamo bisogno dei ragazzi come te. Ragazzi originali, interessanti, alternativi, ma a stesso tempo molto pop, questo è la cosa che mi piace di più in un ragazzo che canta la musica pop, questo tu l'ai, ma tu non devi cambiare questa cosa!"

"I want to say a very important thing, a very very very important thing. We can only work with you while we are together in this studio, while we are doing X-Factor, after [=for the time after XF] I want to say something that you must not* forget ever: you must not change under the pressure of the record label, you have to stay the same. This is the most important thing because we really need, in this moment in Italia, but also in all parts of the world, we need guys like you. Guys who are original, interesting, alternative, but at the same time very pop, this is the thing that I like the most in someone who sings pop music, you have this, but you must not change this! "

*as I'm confusing this all the time, with "must" and "must not", "must not" meant as "not allowed".

Edited by DerMoment1608

Yep yep Exactly I LOVE IT :thumb_yello:

"Voglio dire una cosa molto importante, una cosa molto molto molto importante. Noi possiamo solamente lavorare con te mentre che siamo insieme in questo studio mentre che facciamo X-Facto, dopo, voglio dire una cosa che tu non devi dimenticare mai: tu non devi cambiare con la pressione della compagnia discografica, tu devi rimanere lo stesso. Questo è la cosa la più importante perché veramente abbiamo bisogno, in questo momento in Italia, ma anche in tutte le parte del mondo, abbiamo bisogno dei ragazzi come te. Ragazzi originali, interessanti, alternativi, ma a stesso tempo molto pop, questo è la cosa che mi piace di più in un ragazzo che canta la musica pop, questo tu l'ai, ma tu non devi cambiare questa cosa!"

"I want to say a very important thing, a very very very important thing. We can only work with you while we are together in this studio, while we are doing X-Factor, after [=for the time after XF] I want to say something that you must not* forget ever: you must not change under the pressure of the record label, you have to stay the same. This is the most important thing because we really need, in this moment in Italia, but also in all parts of the worlds, we need guys like you. Guys who are original, interesting, alternative, but at the same time very pop, this is the thing that I like the most in someone who sings pop music, you have this, but you must not change this! "

I am not trying to crucify Mika. I am simply stating that this kind of thing builds on an already existing and legitimate sense of alienation that many fans have felt over the past few years. It is easier and less resource intensive to keep the fans you already have than to seek new ones. This is just common sense. If Mika is going to compromise his artistic choices it seems a lot less painful to sing English songs at an English gig than it does to spend a year learning Italian because his English fanbase is dwindling. Wouldn't you say?

Anyway that is the last I'm going to say on it as anyone who will understand my point has already done so and the rest will continue to place 100% of the blame on his record company or the poor tastes of the public for losing fans in markets where he is not successful.

What is common sense for you is not a common sense for others, Christine. Every person has her/his own truth. Perhaps I'm wrong but I have an impression you are not a person who are ready to accept other people's opininons. And I don't mean you need to share mine or other's fan's points just respect it. People express their points which are different from yours and you keep telling we're all wrong. It's a bit unfear, don't you think so? Just say you hear, you disagree and let's move on.

I respect you and I understand and share your cocerns about Mika's career! Just my view is different. I accept your point so let's shake hands and left it. There's no need to repeat it once again.

Sorry that I came back off top again :blush-anim-cl: But I need to defend my point too :thumb_yello:

Christine, I have a problem with that.

And actually it was one of the main reasons why I started watching XF. I needed to know if Mika had stopped being himself because of dumping his main principles. Not changing artistically for anybody and doing what you want as an artist is one of the things I admire about him.

And if he would have betrayed these principles because of him being part of pressing people into a shape, than I could not have been longer a fan in the way I was before.

So I started watching, with the millions of different opinions going from "worst thing on earth" to "best thing on earth" with all shadows inbetween, from Mika himself and all the people taking part in the discussions, I just had to see it with my own eyes.

And what I saw wasn't that bad. Mika was just Mika there like we "know" him, being witty, having interesting thoughts, telling his own opinion after the performances.

And he did choose three girls that where unique in their own way, all having their style. And all being able to retain their own style over the show, with Mika choosing songs fitting for them and Mika working hard with them (sometimes very hard, probably wasn't easy for them all the time) with the intention to improve what is in them, not to change them into something different. Sometimes even "fighting" to get there uniqueness out again (For some reason Gaia, a person and singer with very own nonconformist personality, was "selfblocking" herself after the first episode, until she found herself again in later stages.)

And as a coach Morgan convinced me very much. He may look strange with his costumes while sitting on the table, but I think he is very sensible when working as coach with his contestants regarding "getting" what is the special thing about a singer and to make the singer show it.

He for sure did a great job with Michele, the winner. And Michele has won exactly because he is Michele. Not because he was pressed into being somebody else. Than he probably would have never won, because being Michele is just what is his strong point. Because he has a special voice, because he made the songs his own with interpretating them in a way where he gave them much meaning.

I don't know what will happen now with him and how his album will be. I hope not purple, than I would be very pissed. But at the shows he wasn't painted purple for sure and the EP is not a purple disc either.

I don't want to say with all of this that XF Italy is the Holy Grail of music or something like that, it's not. It has its borders, one of them simply because of its format of being a casting show, with the concept of people being "only" interpreters, no "full" artists who are writing own songs and singing them. And XF has even some more borders than some other casting shows because you aren't allowed to sing your own songs or play instruments and there is most of the time no live band, like it's possible in other Casting Shows. And I think it's strange that the Judges are deciding the songs.

But inbetween these borders you can work against the personality of the contestants or with the personality of the contestants (and make "kachinga" because having viewers and CD buyers because you are molding the contestants into something that is sellable or because leaving them how they are and make money because of that). And the intention of the Judges seemed the second thing for me (talking about Morgan, Mika & Elio, Simona is more complicated, but that would go to far now).

And with a short part of what Mika was saying to Michele after one of his performances I want to end now.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v65373582642ZfzBa

"I want to say a very important thing, a very very very important thing. We can only work with you while we are together in this studio, while we are doing X-Factor, after [=for the time after XF] I want to say something that you must not* forget ever: you must not change under the pressure of the record label, you have to stay the same. This is the most important thing because we really need, in this moment in Italia, but also in all parts of the world, we need guys like you. Guys who are original, interesting, alternative, but at the same time very pop, this is the thing that I like the most in someone who sings pop music, you have this, but you must not change this! "

*as I'm confusing this all the time, with "must" and "must not", "must not" meant as "not allowed".

My point exactly, what I had tried to explain at the very beginning of his adventure, and I'm very happy that people like you, or Nina, or others who now I don't recall, who at the beginning weren't 'sided' and wanted to watch it and then decide for themselves, found it at least an interesting experience, not only as Mika fans.

About Michele, you know how much I agree with you. And pretty much the same things Morgan said were said by Mika himself to him, he basically told him no to let others change him into something he is not.

And another thing, in Italy we have this tradition (Morgan and Simona started it) that the semi finalists are allowed to sing an 'inedito', that is an original song that will become their first single. Sometimes the contestants write them by themselves and sometimes they get songs written for them, for example by more famous artists. And this year in particular the songs certainly are not masterpieces of music history, but the songs all fit with the contestant's personalities and musical path during the show. Michele's song is certainly not a wow-song (and he certainly is not a wow-singer), but it shows the peculiarity of Michele's style, that is the ability to convey and tell a story, to feel every word he sings.

That's why, just like you said, I was happy with how it all turned out.

This were just a few thoughts to support what DerMoment said, I've already said what I'd think about a new season, but I felt these thoughts were necessary :)

I never said Mika did not have fun on this show or that he wasn't a good coach. I just prefer him not to do a new season because I personally think his music and touring is more important.

Even Demi Lovato can't combine the two: http://www.popjustice.com/thenews/demi-lovatos-leaving-us-x-factor-to-concentrate-on-singing/122604/

Who says Mika can?

But once again, we shall not discuss this further until there are definite plans.

thanks dermoment for those insights into the show. it's what i suspected, but since i have only watched bits and pieces, i didn't really *know*. for me the annoying thing about casting shows never was that the contestants get moulded into something they're not, but several other things for which i rather blame the tv bosses instead of the music industry, and that'd lead too far here.

but for example, i do like olly murs, who i think became famous through some uk casting show. i love 2 of his songs (the rest is ok), and i got to see him live twice this year, and really enjoyed it. i don't know or care whether he was moulded or even writes his own music. i'm not a fan tho. it is an important aspect of being a mika fan for me that *he* is unique and writes his own songs etc - but whether he takes part in moulding others into something else isn't relevant to me, cause imo it doesn't change his own uniqueness. and those casted artists have their place in the music industry as well, if i hear a fab song on the radio i don't give a f* whether that was written by the guy who sings it or some famous producer. only if i think of becoming a fan of this artist, it starts being relevant for me (hasn't always been like that tho, i'm just spoiled by mika meanwhile :teehee:).

that's why the important thing about gk, or the purple artists video, was for me not the general moulding of artists, except for mika himself, whom i admired for standing up against the industry. but it was the general FU to the music industry, which back in 2007 i hated for very different reasons than casting shows.

of course i could start a whole new discussion now by criticizing mika for things that appear to *me* as if he has become a cuddly toy of his record label meanwhile instead of keeping his gk attitude. and that criticism does not include xfactor, but for example the choice of celebrate as the first single of ool. but i just hope that he has realized that himself and that the first sentence of his lecture was pointing to this.

so i'm looking forward to the mika-year 2014 and i'm curious what it will bring us. as the optimist i always am, of course i'm hoping for the best. :biggrin2:

For Lohttp://www.veoh.com/watch/v65373582642ZfzBaad this audio of mIka diccendo:

""es cosa molto importante for a artist that you no debe cambiare for the presion of Comapani record or DISCOGRAFICA " gRACIAS PORQUE TU DESDE UN PRINCIPIO DESDE ERA UN RAGGAZZO/I NON HA CAMBIATO YO TE ADORO MUCHIIIIIIISIMO...

uN BESO.

¿hat's why the important thing about gk, or the purple artists video, was for me not the general moulding of artist. of ool . witty? I DON´T UNDERSTAND.

Thks ERIKO for POs to reviw MARIE CLAIRE

X Factor, un album appena uscito (Song Book Vol.1), un altro talent show in Francia: sarai mica stanco?

(Annuisce) L’importante è mettercela tutta. Per questo sono esigente con me stesso e con i ragazzi che seguo nei talent. Chiunque ha il diritto di credere in un sogno. Chiunque dovrebbe fare buone esperienze, capire quale sia la propria strada.

Chi ti ha illuminato su quale sarebbe stata la tua?

Quando avevo 15 anni, ed ero sempre stanco perché già cantavo e intanto studiavo, mia madre mi disse: «Stai camminando per te stesso. Devi. Sei tu a creare le basi per il tuo lavoro. Basta lamentarsi!». In famiglia siamo 5 fratelli tutti cresciuti con l’arte. Due sorelle sono designer, mio fratello è architetto. Sono letteralmente ossessionato dal teatro, dal design, dalla musica...

E dalla moda: ce ne vuole a riempire 15 valigie!

In realtà non sono così amante del fashion, più dell’idea di design che c’è dietro. E spesso è la mia mamma che mi cura il look.

Il momento della giornata in cui ti esprimi meglio?

Quando dormo! (Ride) Indubbiamente il momento migliore di tutte le 24 ore.

Edited by mer

Just say you hear, you disagree and let's move on.

I already said I was moving on so I don't quite understand your need to "defend your point" when it was not being attacked. I was speaking to Camille.

I have not been telling everyone their opinions are wrong. I said you, and you only, were incorrect on a point of fact. Facts are not opinions. I apologize if my phrasing came across as rude but it is simply not the case that people do not want to hear random French songs because they are jealous of French fans. You can continue to doubt that if you want but it doesn't change the facts.

Anyway Dermoment, I appreciate your explanation so I don't want to ignore it. I never expected Mika would turn into Simon Cowell. That is not my concern. I guess Karin is right in that there are probably a lot of anti-Grace Kelly compromises going on but for me this is the most blatant. We don't know exactly what went on during the production and marketing of TOOL but his participation in these shows is undeniable.

Two points I want to comment:

1) I always feel awkward when I read that Mika is better because he writes his own songs... Singing is on thing, writing abilities are another... Luckily, some can combine the two. Does it make someone like Celine Dion, probably THE singer of our century, less of a singer because she doesn't write her songs? Does it make someone like Luc Plamondon, who wrote many very important and successful French songs, including some Celine's success, less of a writer?

2) why always say that because you got onown through a talent show necessarily equals to "he got molded into/he doesn't make his own music"? It's not always the case... At least, in my province it's not:thumb_yello: