Beautiful Disaster - Lyrics & Discussion

:tears:

I don't like the video very much, have been shocked at the beginning. ( I know it's the video director's intent  )

But that earthquake and tsunami ( 18,460 : dead or missing persons ) were cruel disaster and still we have problems of Nuclear accidents.

Aftermath of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami ...

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

Well, I like the video as an idea, in general. For me it is very meaningful (especially taking into account, that I have no associations with the film mentioned above). It is depressive but beautiful. 

But I don't like the fact, that there is NOT ENOUGH of Mika! 

• Like 2

I only liked the Mika parts of the video :swoon:  The rest of the video is a mix of Terminator and Dancing with tears in my eyes and depressing. :aah:  I watched it only once and I doubt I will watch it again...Mika's songs videos always cheer me up , this one certainly doesn't. I have liked the song since the beginning though and I still do. Even though now I tend to listen to Beautiful Disaster Mika only version a lot more than to the rap because I like Mika's alone so much better :swoon:

• Like 3

Well, the concept is similar to "Dancing with tears in my eyes" but I doubt that Fedez knows Ultravox (unfortunately). At least in that case the song was good.

Imo the whole thing (the song itself, the idea behind the video clip and the visuals) is cheap, but I'm not surprised because I didn't expect something different from Fedez and the pictures I saw in the past week, the music box on top of the piano just to say, were eloquent.

I was curious as I always am when it comes to Mika but I reckon I'm not going to watch this video anymore.

• Like 2

I'm with people who said they didn't really understand much of it. i guess there's some references i'm missing out on, plus not understanding italian... :dunno:

it doesn't make me sad or resonate tbh. mostly i was mildly amused about mika awkwardly standing behind fedez during the rap parts and kind of impressed with the look of the "supermoon". 

This video is too depressing for me too. Just talked about it on twitter with people and I do get the point and that end of the world feeling during break up but it gave me really heavy feeling and I can't get it out of my mind. The song itself is not depressive like that. 

that made the whole thing make a lot more sense actually...

I have the same, usually I can't handle anything at all but this video doesn't even make me feel remotely sad.

I don't understand everything in the video (what happens to that bride??) but overall it's not a bad video.

Maybe if I'm honest, I feel a bit indifferent, it doesn't really do much with me at all... :dunno:

the bride is clearly a time lord  :mf_rosetinted:

Artistically, I find it very beautiful.

It reminds me of the mini-films Mika did for some of the TOOL songs, especially Origin of love...

yeah i had the same association! although it does have a bit of a different look / feel to a "typical" mika video

I watched the movie Melancholia last night, because I'd seen it mentioned in this thread (I ended up really enjoying it, so thanks!). Several scenes in the video appear to be direct deliberate references to the movie, especially the opening sequence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP-vuOy8cU)  I thought it would just be similar in tone, but it was pretty specific. One of those shots is of Kirsten Dunst holding her hands up with electricity coming off her fingers! That's no coincidence! I did some reading about the symbolism of the movie, and apparently the main character is named Justine after a character in a Marquis de Sade novel, and that character is ultimately struck by lighting. So that makes sense in the movie (well, kind of :mf_rosetinted: ) but makes no sense when being referenced in the video.  Other things, like the dead birds falling would probably happen in such a disaster because of the atmosphere being burned away, but not the lightning fingers.

I may have thought too much about this.   :freak:

Though I enjoyed the movie, I don't really care for the video. But the only thing I found depressing about it was how little it focused on Mika.  :pinkbow:

• Like 1

I had to watch the video again, I was so surprised not everyone found it really depressing. I mean I totally respect your opinions, this a matter of personal view, there can't be right or wrong answers. I was just surprised so I had to go and see it one more time.

And there's an upcoming natural disaster. There's a wedding ceremony with empty seats in a ruined garden/park. There's a dark, abandoned (?) hospital. A terminally ill child watching her last sun rise. A baby born just on time to see the world ending... I can't help it, this is enough to make me incredibly depressed. I genuinely wish I could watch it some other way.

It upset me so if the goal was to have a powerful effect on people they succeeded. I understood the clip is directly referring to a very known film and would be useful to be familiar with it but I can't watch that heavy films. I remember seeing Reflecting Skin more than 20 years ago and it's still one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. 

But I love the short moments where Mika is playing piano. That's the beautiful part! :naughty:  Fits well with the music.

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 1

I really don't understand because so many "so-called" fans of Mika want that him makes an ass of himself, simply for a stupid joke slipped out of his mouth (and in the last episode of XF he was quite talking nonsense). Are they so superficial or are simply those interested in him only because he is a beautiful man? This season was already enough disappointing and embarrassing for him, he certainly doesn't need to do a trash performance a la Miley Cyrus! Not for his professional image and his music nor for his personal image. Really, come on! It's not funny at all.

• Like 4

I really don't understand because so many "so-called" fans of Mika want that him makes an ass of himself, simply for a stupid joke slipped out of his mouth (and in the last episode of XF he was quite talking nonsense). Are they so superficial or are simply those interested in him only because he is a beautiful man? This season was already enough disappointing and embarrassing for him, he certainly doesn't need to do a trash performance a la Miley Cyrus! Not for his professional image and his music nor for his personal image. Really, come on! It's not funny at all.

Did you have any doubt about that? Things are clear over time.

• Like 1

I had to watch the video again, I was so surprised not everyone found it really depressing. 

Honestly,I find the video rather confusing than depressing. For me the lyrics (well,Mika's lyrics ;) ) doesn't match with those scenes at all,it's a nonsense  :dunno:

But I agree with you about the piano parts,and I liked the idea of a musical box ballerina  :thumb_yello:

I really don't understand because so many "so-called" fans of Mika want that him makes an ass of himself, simply for a stupid joke slipped out of his mouth (and in the last episode of XF he was quite talking nonsense). Are they so superficial or are simply those interested in him only because he is a beautiful man?

Really, come on! It's not funny at all.

Are you sure that they are not interested more in Fedez?  :teehee:  Because this is what I get from twitter  :rolls_eyes:

Anyway,maybe we shouldn't take it too serious,after all it was just a joke,and it's not the first time he does it (remember the naked vlog ). If back then it was funny,why couldn't be now the same? If we lost our sense of humor,life becomes deadly boring and grey.... and that would be much more depressing for me than this video  :)

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

The thing I found depressing about this video was simply its bad production but I don't like the song except for Mika's part so wasn't expecting much anyway.

It's not funny at all.

Isn't it Mika's joke? Why are you blaming it on fans?

Video is depressing not beacuse the story, especially for who already watched Melancholia.

It is depressing because it is banal. This is just my opinion maybe influenced by the fact that i don't like Fedex and i don't like the song.

Fortunately there are funny moments. Sincerely this far-fetched couple (the pop dandy and the toattooed bumpkin) that dance on the roof is clownish.

I'm relieved if this video is totally by Fedex side.

Where have you read this? I'm curious, I don't remember  having ever read about the video of Good Guys inspired by Dogville ( yesterday was joking and also, sometimes it seemed that he didn't know what he was saying or understand what others were saying to him, probably because he was very tired. In regard to the idea, realization and production of the video of Beautiful Disaster, it was totally of Fedez and his team. 

The Dogville atmosphere is my opinion, but i'm almost sure that Mika himself spoke about this. Sorry i can't remember where and when.

It is clear that the nude-gate is a jocke. Even because Mika did not think about the final. He corrected himself when he understood that the discussion was about the Final show. Anyway when you are speaking on air, in a live show, you must to pay attention...

• Like 1

I didn't really get what the song was about, with the video, and I must admit, I prefer Mika when he sings alone, not when he has to make way for someone else in the song. It's a bit like Celebrate, which would have been much better as China Boy, without changing it to fit PW vocals.

I like Mika's part and could imagine the fans singing "It's a beeeeeautiful disasteeeeeeeer" at the gigs.

I look forward to Mika's own version of the song, but I don't think it's going to to top NPIH as my favourite Mika song.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I didn't really get what the song was about, with the video, and I must admit, I prefer Mika when he sings alone, not when he has to make way for someone else in the song. It's a bit like Celebrate, which would have been much better as China Boy, without changing it to fit PW vocals.

Someone explained they wanted to create the end of the world feeling to describe a break up. Not sure where it comes from so I can't link any interview.

I always prefer hearing Mika alone, I'm not a fan of any duets or collaborations where he needs to give room for someone else. He is always better than the other singer so of course I would prefer hearing only him! Lol! I like hearing Ida in Happy Ending and Max backing in some other songs though, I like them both. 

I like hearing Ida in Happy Ending and Max backing in some other songs though, I like them both.

Yes Max is very good backing vocals for Mika's voice. I'd like to hear Mika as a featured vocalist in a song but not this harsh rap. Something more poppy and electronic like Calvin Harris's songs or Flo Rida, etc. He's got the perfect vocals for that kind of thing and it's mostly women doing it, so a man's voice would be a little more unique and not sound like everything else in that genre.

The thing I found depressing about this video was simply its bad production but I don't like the song except for Mika's part so wasn't expecting much anyway.

Isn't it Mika's joke? Why are you blaming it on fans?

I agree with you about the video and I too prefer the version of the song with only Mika.

Yes, I know it was Mika's stupid joke, of which he regretted immediately as soon as he realized that they had instead taken him at his word :naughty: , but there were too many fans in the grip of hormones on twitter who wanted to reach the one million video views just to see him naked. They were very convinced about it. But I agree that he has to be very careful what he says, especially on live television  :thumb_yello:.

Edited by charlie20
  • Like 1

When I first heard the Mika only version, I must confess that I preferred the one with Fedez, as I felt like the new verses didn't really fit in (?I felt like they were kinda just put into the song, without having anything to to with the course? ). But like every Mika song, it grows on me over time, even if I don't like it at first :wub: I'm not sure how to feel about the original version after watching the video...

What's the "joke" everyone is upset about? Haven't been on here for a while

Something about Mika saying that he and Fedez were going to sing BD naked on the x-factor :naughty: Nothing to be upset about, really, but some fans are apparently taking it very seriously.