Mika as a judge for "The Piano", Channel 4 UK, 2023

Kumazzz

14 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

WHAT?! Trixie and Matthew are getting married??? (We're behind on Call the Midwife :teehee: )

@dcdeb Shall I send this issue to you ?

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SusanT said:

Ingrandisci lo schermo e fai clic su cc per ottenere i sottotitoli in inglese. Quindi fare clic sul simbolo accanto ad esso. Puoi cambiare la lingua in italiano o in altre lingue.

Ingrandisci lo schermo e clicca su cc , cosi usciranno i sottotitoli in inglese. Clicca poi sul simbolo che sembra una rotellina. Puoi modificare la lingua ed avere sottotitoli in italiano.

PS Adoro questi artisti e l'interazione tra Mika e Lang Lang. 

Thank you ❤

The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/feb/23/the-piano-most-uplifting-tv-talent-show-ever

Thu 23 Feb 2023 17.10 GMT

Tinkling the ivories and tugging the heart strings: is The Piano the most uplifting TV talent show ever?

Railway station pianists from 11 to 92 get a surprise shot at fame in this Claudia Winkleman-hosted Channel 4 hit, where even the judges find something nice to say

Is there an instrument with more emotional range than the piano? Sometimes, it is tough to believe that the same collection of wood and wires can make you stamp your feet with delight one minute and wipe away a tear the next. But that’s exactly what happens in The Piano, the perfect showcase for the instrument’s versatility. So far, the show has been to railway stations in London and Leeds, treating crowds of commuters to everything from Debussy to Darude – with London playing host to virtuosos as young as 11 and as old as 92.

And, spoiler alert, there’s plenty to applaud and get misty-eyed about. Take Daniel, the 14-year-old who describes himself as “quite shy” and then belts out a heartstring-twanging version of the Goo Goo Dolls’ Iris with an octave-jump that gets the crowd applauding. Or 71-year-old Liam, who has built a shed on wheels to haul his own upright around, holding back his own tears as he plays a Chopin nocturne, and explaining via voiceover that the instrument is “not always an easy friend, but a great friend”. Reader, did I even get a little lump in my throat when Christopher the waistcoat-wearing pub pianist was (quite kindly) told to stop singing by host Claudia Winkleman, and immediately found a new level to his performance on the keys? I’m not ashamed to tell you that I absolutely did.

And then there’s Lucy. Thirteen-year-old Lucy was diagnosed with cancerous tumours of the eyes after she was born and has no vision. She is also developmentally delayed, meaning that she can’t hold a conversation. But when she was young, she played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a toy piano in hospital – so well that the nurses assumed it was pre-recorded – and since then, she has been using the piano to communicate in a way that she might otherwise find impossible. Working with a teacher from the Amber Trust, she puts her hands on top of his to feel the correct way to play – and when she sits down at the station piano, the results are mesmerising.

Watching her play Nocturne in B flat minor by Chopin, the show’s judges Mika and Lang Lang are uncharacteristically speechless, the station crowd falling silent as she plays with a dexterity and delicacy that many professionals don’t have. “You can be a great pianist, but if you’re always performing, sometimes the emotion becomes less genuine,” says Lang Lang, once he recovers. “But she plays so beautifully, and that emotion is so sincere.”

My five-year-old’s review was shorter: “How can she do that? That’s incredible” – and that’s really the beauty of the whole show. Watching the crowds cry, or clap, or tap their feet, it’s impossible not to wonder how many of those train travellers – or the audience at home – are seeing something that looks like fun, something that they could have a go at, or something that felt out of reach until they saw a self-taught bricklayer playing his own compositions, or a 21-year-old mechanic making St Pancras station jump with boogie woogie improv. Mika and Lang Lang (hiding near a champagne bar in episode one, and next to the station toilets by episode two) riff off each other brilliantly, with the chart musician providing a perfect bridge between the worlds of pop and classical music for his virtuoso fellow judge. “I promise, this is not what Abba’s supposed to sound like,” he says as a duo sing over one another during a cover of Dancing Queen, in what is probably the most scathing moment of criticism in the entire show.

Because, in the end, The Piano is the absolute opposite of a Simon Cowell-produced talent show. You show up just for the love of playing, and then – surprise! – you didn’t know you were in a competition, but you’ve actually already won, because you get to meet the world’s greatest pianist, who has been listening to you all along. Then it turns out that there’s a concert at London’s Royal Festival Hall and only one person gets to perform, but – surprise again! – that doesn’t really matter, because you still all get to jam out together at the end of the show, sharing your love for your instrument before you get a ticket to the concert anyway.

It is not about who’s the best; it’s about doing something to the best of your ability because it improves your life, and if you can watch it without wanting to run out and practise a thing that brings you joy, I will be very surprised. I don’t think my own choppy rendition of the Jurassic Park theme is going to bring anyone on a railway station concourse to tears, but I’ll be brushing up on it while I wait for episode three.

The Piano is on Channel 4 now.

g_6IYDhm.thumb.jpg.6250b1b197465869e846f718c6994a5c.jpg

‘There’s plenty to applaud and get misty-eyed about’ … Claudia Winkleman, Mika and Lang Lang with the contestants in The Piano’s second episode.

Photograph: Pete Ritson/© Love Productions, worldwide, all media in perpetuity NOT FOR PUBLICATION BEFORE

3050.thumb.jpg.0cbabed656b92462665a1b466ac5271e.jpg

‘It’s impossible not to wonder how many of those train travellers are seeing something that looks like fun’ … The Piano.

Photograph: mark bourdillon/©Mark Bourdillon / Love Productions

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Daily Mirror ( Daily Records )

24 Feb 2023

page 25

IAN HYLAND’S TV DIARY

Piano’s grand

Simon Cowell will be grinding gears over Mika's life affirming show The Piano

Mika, Claudia Winkleman and virtuoso Lang Lang are on to a winner with new talent show The Piano, which is full of life affirming moments, and is brilliantly simple

If revenge really is a dish best served cold, then pop star Mika must have liquid nitrogen running through his veins.

Twenty years after Simon Cowell gave his demo tapes the old “It’s a no from me” treatment, the 39-year-old has – with the help of Channel 4 – slammed a musical torpedo into the next series of Britain’s Got Talent.

In just two episodes, Mika’s one-trick talent show The Piano has unearthed enough diamonds to fill a BGT semi.

Seriously, if he and his co-judge, piano virtuoso Lang Lang, find an alsatian or a chihuahua next week that can play Great Balls Of Fire in C Major, Cowell may as well pack up for the year.

Me calling The Piano a one-trick format isn’t a criticism, by the way.

It’s one of those brilliantly simple tricks that you cannot believe no one has thought of before. Channel 4 has installed cameras at railway stations across the country and invited performers to come and play a vacant piano.

The twist is they are being secretly watched from a hidden location by Mika and Lang Lang who pick one winner each week to perform at an upcoming gala concert at London’s prestigious Royal Festival Hall.

To grind Cowell’s gears even harder, Channel 4 has filled the show with contestants who could have kept him in sob stories for a good year or two. Here though, the tales are presented more as life-affirming joy.

From the blind and developmentally delayed 13-year-old Lucy and her flawless Chopin to grieving 71-year-old Liam and his homemade travelling piano trailer.

Holding it all together we have Claudia Winkleman, who is as perfect a host for this show as she was for BBC1 hit The Traitors.

On Wednesday, I particularly enjoyed the tactful way Claudia dealt with the judges’ request for one contestant, Christopher, to stop singing so they could concentrate on his piano playing.

She simply walked up to him and did the zipped mouth mime. Christopher shut up instantly.

Any chance you could repeat that trick a few times on Strictly this year, Claud?

No names here, but you know who I mean.

DailyRecord-24_02.2023_page-22_ThePiano.thumb.jpg.72226c6afaf20d37c792d4123c9a486c.jpg

DailyRecord_24_02.2023_page22.thumb.jpg.e5f1eebb7b3279eea1fd094d45f7ecad.jpg
  • Like 6

Channel 4 TV guide

https://www.channel4.com/tv-guide/2023/03/01

Wednesday 01 March

9:00pm - 10:00pm

New : The Piano

In Glasgow, an 86-year-old father of 11 hits the keys as more outstanding amateur pianists wow the public.

There's also an Elton John-playing YouTube star and a booggie woogie biker ( Ep3/5)

[Also in HD]

Screenshot2023-02-24at15-23-12All4-TVGuide.thumb.png.668373a277fdc16d132fbfa9b3a9002b.png

Channel4_ThePiano_ep3.thumb.jpg.e685e7d2f22d0d71a71a2115951995b0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

Simon Cowell will be grinding gears over Mika's life affirming show The Piano

If revenge really is a dish best served cold, then pop star Mika must have liquid nitrogen running through his veins.

Twenty years after Simon Cowell gave his demo tapes the old “It’s a no from me” treatment, the 39-year-old has – with the help of Channel 4 – slammed a musical torpedo into the next series of Britain’s Got Talent.

Wow, this guy must be a hardcore Mika fan! :naughty:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bren said:

Exactly! I was a bit shocked. I mean.. my eclectic playlist is built upon Mika's sophisticated taste and knowledge of music. I wouldn't even know what eclectic means if it wasn't for him :naughty: and now I got this picture in my head of him hanging around at music stores buying those 'Dance Hits' CD's like we all did.

Be careful Mika or you will lose your image as a poetic artist :lol3:

Eclectic means you listen to everything and Mika loves to mix up everything....you could tell that when he was doing cooking with Mika on instagram. No labels in life nor in music. Internet makes all music all over the world and the years available to everyone. That's pretty cool.  Radios and TVs only play mainstream as they always did but youtube is a goldmine :wub2:

• Like 4

20 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Désolé, CJ. Il se passait quelque chose de bizarre lorsque j'ai essayé d'intégrer cette vidéo pour une raison quelconque.

Merci@melodypour m'en être occupé !

De plus, pour une raison quelconque, cette semaine, les publicités étaient incluses - le téléchargement de la semaine dernière ne l'était pas.:sais pas:

Personnellement pas de publicités pour le premier épisode mais pour le deuxième j'ai pu les avancer facilement 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:49 AM, dcdeb said:

Not there, but on YouTube as an unlisted video, in the hopes that it doesn't draw too much attention and get blocked totally!

It is blocked in the UK and territories, though, sorry.

https://youtu.be/L62ZkJqw2JA

Hi Deb-san,

Thank you very much for sharing this!:mikalove:

I thought I won’t be able to watch this! But this isn’t the one you can easily give up as a Mika fan. 
He’s really good at being a judge of this kind of program!:cloud:

• Like 6

On 23/02/2023 at 01:49, dcdeb said:

Pas là, mais sur YouTube en tant que vidéo non répertoriée, dans l'espoir qu'elle n'attire pas trop l'attention et soit totalement bloquée !

Il est bloqué au Royaume-Uni et dans les territoires, désolé.

MERCI infiniment Deb pour le partage :) ils sont tous tellement incroyables !  Lucy m'a "fendu le coeur" comme l'on dit chez moi !

The Guardian - 25 February 2023

theguardian25february2023.jpg.18ce4e13879ade81cfa18400f165b11c.jpg

👉 PDF file ( 1 page / 328 KB ) TheGuardian25February2023_page65.pdf

The Piano
9pm, Channel 4

Claudia Winkleman wheels her piano to Glasgow Central this week,
with Mika and Lang Lang in tow to judge players.
Among them:
Stanley, 86, is still going strong playing the blues;

Dana, 12, needs to beat her stage (or platform) fright;

and Sue can’t play without draping a “blood”-soaked banner on the piano. HR

TheGuardian25February2023_downmagaz.net-65_1.jpg.0ca2a1b30cef0b20b0fa9def6cbcbd51.jpg

TheGuardian25February2023_downmagaz.net-65_page-0001.jpg.ed98c56131a7a9a50ceab87c73f562cf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancylovesM said:

Hi all. Might have missed this in the thread, but has anyone found a way to watch The Piano in Canada?  I’ve had no luck ☹️

Well you can catch up 

Courtesy of Deb: 

Episode 1 unlisted 
https://youtu.be/WywLWuaYJ7c

Episode 2 unlisted

Courtesy of Antoine on mikawebsite

Episode 1 download 

Episode 2 download
https://twitter.com/MikaWebsite/status/1628815384424902661?t=OPnJX-d0K9mYAtExmHOjAA&s=19

If you want to watch them live you need a proxy and you need your e mail and an address in England (I used one I found online) then go to channel 4 online site. It works on a pc not on a phone it seems..

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Well you can catch up 

Courtesy of Deb: 

Episode 1 unlisted 

Episode 2 unlisted

Episode 1 download 

Episode 2 download
https://twitter.com/MikaWebsite/status/1628815384424902661?t=OPnJX-d0K9mYAtExmHOjAA&s=19

If you want to watch them live you need a proxy and you need your e mail and an address in England (I used one I found online) then go to channel 4 online site. It works on a pc not on a phone it seems..

Thank you so much!! Will give these a try. You guys are the best ❤️

• Like 2

19 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Well you can catch up 

Courtesy of Deb: 

Episode 1 unlisted 

Episode 2 unlisted

Episode 1 download 

Episode 2 download

Mika Quebec t'aime posted on FB the video of episode 2 that  Deb uploaded

29 minutes ago, SusanT said:

It might be best to share mikawebsite links 9n fb instead as they are hosted out of reach from censorship unlike youtube.... I will let the admin know that there is a risk of getting them spotted by youtube and blocked

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, SusanT said:

Like Anne said, probably it's not a good idea to post the YT link on FB, that video it's unlisted because it could be blocked any time and it's better to not share it everywhere.

• Like 4

On 2/17/2023 at 12:49 PM, crazyaboutmika said:

Guys, is it only me or does Claudia Winkleman's way to say "pianist" sounds like she is saying a word I don't think is allowed here but everything she says following it makes me burst into laughter :lmao:

On 2/17/2023 at 9:20 PM, Hero said:

It's just you.:naughty: 

Nope, it's not just you :lmfao:

Screenshot (419).png

• Haha 14

On 2/23/2023 at 5:19 PM, Kumazzz said:

@dcdeb Shall I send this issue to you ?

Aww, thanks, Eriko. You're a star!:flowers2:

On 2/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, Kumazzz said:

It is not about who’s the best; it’s about doing something to the best of your ability because it improves your life, and if you can watch it without wanting to run out and practise a thing that brings you joy, I will be very surprised. I don’t think my own choppy rendition of the Jurassic Park theme is going to bring anyone on a railway station concourse to tears, but I’ll be brushing up on it while I wait for episode three.

I'm loving all these positive reviews -- but I especially loved this paragraph from the Guardian. "It is not about who’s the best; it’s about doing something to the best of your ability because it improves your life..." I think that's exactly why so many people have loved it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1