Mika as a judge for "The Piano", Channel 4 UK, 2023

Kumazzz

35 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Can someone download this gif and share it here on the forum? I can't seem to find a way to download it myself and Mika's reaction is perfect!

5 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Can someone download this gif and share it here on the forum? I can't seem to find a way to download it myself and Mika's reaction is perfect!

I can d/l the video:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, krysady said:

I can't seem to download that either, this is so odd, I've never had trouble before and I've not had any recent changes to my phone either, so I don't know why I can't save it :(

2 hours ago, Miky Schyns said:

I hope Deb can put a link to YouTube :crossed::cloud:

1 hour ago, Iwasafreaksince7yearsold said:

Ahhh I can’t wait! Hopefully it can be posted :) 

It's uploading  now. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I can't seem to download that either, this is so odd, I've never had trouble before and I've not had any recent changes to my phone either, so I don't know why I can't save it :(

That's weird indeed :sad:

1 minute ago, krysady said:

That's weird indeed :sad:

I have it now, thank you! 

Changed which folder to send downloads to and that worked 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OMG. So good. So good. 

Loved them dancing, then saw him in the window while Claud was chatting! That bright jacket isn't the best for camouflage.  :lol3:

I loved Dana. Can't believe she's only 12! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hero said:

OMG. So good. So good. 

Loved them dancing, then saw him in the window while Claud was chatting! That bright jacket isn't the best for camouflage.  :lol3:

I loved Dana. Can't believe she's only 12! 

Yes, she really did make me cry. I have a thing for Chopin, so that was part of it, but she was such a brave girl in the end, and played beautifully.

George's story had me literally sobbing. I know the show is about "the piano" but they really did go straight for the heartstrings, didn't they? Whew. :crybaby:

I understand why they chose the way they did in the end (trying not to spoil too much for anyone who has yet to see), but I'm not sure I would have gone in that direction. Truly a difficult choice this week.

I will certainly be sad to see this show end in two weeks. I wonder if they couldn't do it in other locations, like here in the US, perhaps? Most Americans will be oblivious to this show, so I think they would still be able to surprise people. And I'm sure lots of other countries won't ever see this UK version... I can dream, can't I?

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

George's story had me literally sobbing. I know the show is about "the piano" but they really did go straight for the heartstrings, didn't they? Whew. :crybaby:

And how! 

I felt bad for the lady who hadn't been allowed to go to music school, it was so obviously her passion. 

2 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I understand why they chose the way they did in the end (trying not to spoil too much for anyone who has yet to see), but I'm not sure I would have gone in that direction. Truly a difficult choice this week.

Absolutely, a very difficult choice. 

• Like 5

I was working tonight so I couldn't watch live, but just caught up. Absolutely agree with their choice, and also their shortlist, although I think I'd have added the Elton John Medley guy to it, thought he was really good and energetic! Mika said it might not come across that well at the Royal Festival Hall, I don't know about that, but I trust his opinion because he's definitely an expert for stage performances. Still I was surprised that the guy didn't make it to the shortlist. I also loved Sue, she came across as really nice and at the same time powerful to me in the story they showed about her. I wonder if Mika and Lang Lang got to see these little films as well before they heard them playing? If they did, apparently he had a very different view on her than I did, before she started playing - but maybe he just saw her being filmed at the station, that might have left a different impression than the story they showed on TV. That girl with stage fright (it kinda scares me that she's only 12, because when I work at the entrance at concerts as a security I have to check that kids under 14 are there with an adult, and I probably wouldn't have asked this girl for her age but thought she was at least 16 :doh:) would have gotten roasted on a show like Xfactor, I'm glad that The Piano isn't like that but that the judges are understanding and give people a chance. :wub2:

What was that about Bailey's? Lol! :roftl: A slippery slope? Does he mean you can get drunk from it easily because it tastes so delicious that you don't even realize the alcohol? :teehee: And Lang Lang "we should get him drunk!", lol! :roftl: Naughty guy, I wouldn't have expected something like that from Lang Lang, lol! But I understand that Mika had to check then whether Lang Lang had alcohol in his glass. :lmao:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Iwasafreaksince7yearsold said:

Can anyone share the link on here? Sorry I can’t find it 🥹

19 minutes ago, PoodleSnow said:

Still haven’t been able to see episodes. Just couple clips on YT 

@PoodleSnow The previous two episodes are on YouTube also -- the links are in this thread, if you scroll back. I've made them unlisted in the hopes that we don't draw a lot of attention and get them totally blocked or removed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12

8 hours ago, dcdeb said:

@PoodleSnow The previous two episodes are on YouTube also -- the links are in this thread, if you scroll back. I've made them unlisted in the hopes that we don't draw a lot of attention and get them totally blocked or removed.

Thanks a million again @dcdeb :flowers2:

:bye: Here is the list of Videos and Download links.

The list will be updated... on the first post.

Episode 1 in London

Episode 2 in Leeds

Episode 3 in Glasgow

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Deb- loved your comment about Matthew and Trixie! Cracked me up! 

really, really difficult decision to have to make. Every station should have at least three pianists going through. 

I have to say though- apart from gender and roughly age, I can’t actually remember who the fourth finalist is 🤣. But I know that they are good! 🤣

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, kath said:

really, really difficult decision to have to make. Every station should have at least three pianists going through.

True... Actually I wouldn't have minded if the final had lasted all day and they had separated it into several episodes. :teehee:

11 minutes ago, kath said:

I have to say though- apart from gender and roughly age, I can’t actually remember who the fourth finalist is 🤣. But I know that they are good! 🤣

Same :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kath said:

Deb- loved your comment about Matthew and Trixie! Cracked me up! 

I have to say that Sean impressed me more on TV than in the Royal Festival Hall. He is really special!

But Lucy was my favorite.

• Like 4

The Herald Scotland

TV REVIEW

By our grand Central Station, you could have sat down and wept at the talent on show

The Piano Channel 4/All 4 Alison Rowat ****

PURE dead mortified. Any Glaswegian would feel the same.

Here was The Piano, the hit Channel 4 show that’s Bake Off with pedals (the two share the same creators), setting up shop in Central Station.

The judges, Mika, platinum-selling pop star, and Lang Lang, the greatest classical pianist of the modern era, were hidden upstairs in a room above Oliver Bonas, waiting to have their socks blown off by amateur pianists on the concourse below. Prize: a spot on the bill at The Royal Festival Hall.

But alas, no fireworks. “Why is everyone so well behaved?” Mika asked Lang Lang. It was a charge no Glaswegian would ever have thought would be laid at the city’s door. The shame of it.

True, the production team had arrived on a sunny day and the place was sparkling like the Koh-inoor. Host Claudia Winkleman pronounced the station “beautiful”.

The judges agreed it was the toughest venue to play so far. The two previous contests had taken place in London St Pancras and Leeds stations, but in Glasgow, the piano was in the middle of the floor with passengers swirling all around. Nowhere to hide.

The first contestant, Stanley from Prestwick, rocked up wearing a piano tie. Playing since he was nine, now 86 and the father of 11 children (“so far”), Stanley had character and swagger to spare. He had been part of a jazz band in the 1950s, but one by one its members died, leaving him to play solo. “I’m the last of the red hot pianists,” he said.

He sang and played the blues, Mika praised his suppleness (“It’s not nothing at 86”) and the crowd started dancing. Well, of course they did, it was Glasgow. Fine, but still no fireworks.

Glasgow was looking its trendy best for the visitors. Here was a guy in black leathers pushing a pram with two dogs in it. Claudia claimed five points for spotting her first man in a kilt, in this case a lipstick pink tartan number.

It was drama next, as 12-year-old Dana tried hard to overcome her stage fright. Claudia promised she would ask people to turn the other way and actually made good on her pledge. No-one seemed to mind, or not that the viewers saw anyway.

This series has showcased Winkleman’s skills as a people whisperer, able to handle anyone or anything. As Mika would say, it’s not nothing.

Sue, a former music teacher, decorated the piano with a plastic banner complete with blood-red handprints “to show music is in my DNA”. This was more like it, as was the way Sue played boogie-woogie. Above Oliver Bonas, Mika was teaching his fellow judge to dance and Lang Lang was praising Sue’s technique and rhythm. Sue got the biggest cheer of the night so far. All good fun, but still nothing to leave the judges in awe of, as in Leeds last week.

Then a young man by the name of Sean Logan walked up to the piano. In his introductory film the 26-yearold spoke about a difficult time at school caused by “an inability to co-operate”, and how he had taught himself to play by copying people on TV. I could have a go at conveying what happened next, but I would strongly recommend a catch-up on All 4 if you did not see it last night. Fireworks was only the half of it. Mika’s description of the performance as “brilliant anarchy” is probably as close as words get.

It is easy to be cynical about television’s love of a good “backstory”, as if a person’s talent was not enough on its own. But the information in Sean’s case was relevant, if not essential, in understanding his achievement.

Next week, the show comes from Birmingham, then it is on to the Royal Festival Hall for the final. Glasgow might have left it late in the day to ditch its shyness, but having done so it is going to be one tough act to follow.

TheHeraldScotland_2023-03-02_page3.thumb.jpg.62b260afc483652052e2f874dd1e812b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hero said:

Ohhh, can't wait! There's a brilliant moment tonight where Mika has a really strong "Oh yes!" reaction to one of the songs. You'll know it when you see it. :naughty:

I was (almost) reacting like him. I had never heard a more alive piano than during that moment and I really loved it. Piano can bore me but that person takes piano to a brand new level of energy and I loved it too :boing: :boing: :boing: :boing: disney GIF

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Thanks a million again @dcdeb :flowers2:

:bye: Here is the list of Videos and Download links.

The list will be updated... on the first post.

Episode 1 in London

Episode 2 in Leeds

Episode 3 in Glasgow

UPDATE @dcdeb

I did clear the sounds of the last-part. :thumb_yello:

Episode 3 in Glasgow

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

On 2/28/2023 at 11:45 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Mum immediately after seeing my letter: "So, how much do you get for this?" 😅

She is of course happy it got printed too! 😊

Also,

Me when I get my somewhat tiny reward from the magazine:

d6400fa61361d0494a86d687cb04a502--mika-money.thumb.jpg.5bf4c2626a4b3dfb47a66bc3dd1a011c.jpg

Oh wow :bow:, really happy for you :original:, congratulations. :yay:

Sorry out of topic, but is that Mika on the banknote?

• Like 1

TV Times 4 March 2023

TV_Times_04-10_March_2023-1.jpg.064f4f115a83a3b893e96c3a3cd40d71.jpg

page 68

TVTimes4_03.2023_page-64.thumb.jpg.92b1d8b2516b492b8b983300af77b004.jpg

ThePiano REALITY 9PM, C4

The last stop on the search for Britain’s talented pianistsis Birmingham Ne wStreet Station. It’s the UK’s busiest station outside London, but this doesn’t distract from the stunning sounds coming from the concourse’s piano,with a fresh take on Harry Styles and a bop-along Jerry Lewis hit among the performances for the consideration of host Claudia Winkleman and judges Lang Lang and Mika.

As with previous episodes, it’s both a euphoric and emotional watch – a retiree’s trip down memory lane is a hankies-at-the-ready moment.

We cannot wait to see how all the performers come together on the Royal Festivalstage nexttime.★★★★NT

page71

TVTimes4_03.2023_page71.thumb.jpg.544d5cc28560acc695f81ab742ab425b.jpg

9.00 The Piano 4 of 5. The final stop on the search for Britain’s best amateur pianists is Birmingham New Street Station, featuring a toe-tapping Jerry Lee Lewis hit and a unique Harry Styles cover; and there is not a dry eye in the place when a Welsh retiree goes on a trip down memory lane. (S)(AD) See Highlights

TV & Satellite week - 4 March 2023

TV_Satellite_Week_04-10_March_2023_p.1.jpg.81348cbab81c06ca260d51ec83a015e8.jpg

1677565209_tv-satellite-week-4_03_2023_p_76.thumb.jpg.dbc37a9806ad21299edd3ab1ae59b15c.jpgTV___Satellite_Week_-_0410_March__2023_UserUpload.Net-76_page-0001.thumb.jpg.a15f8f89d29aa1743afad288d4ce53d7.jpg

9.00 The Piano

New edition 4/5.

The final stop on the search for Britain’s best amateur pianists is Birmingham New Street Station. Featuring a toe-tapping Jerry Lee Lewis hit and a unique Harry Styles cover. (S)(AD)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1