2023 - Mika @ Bristol Sounds Festival, UK, 21 June REPORTS / VIDS / PICS

Kumazzz

Getty images

https://www.gettyimages.no/photos/mika?family=editorial&assettype=image&locations

Bristol Sounds 2023

JUNE 21: Mika performs on stage at Bristol Sounds 2023 on June 21, 2023 in Bristol, England. (Photo by Mike Lewis Photography/Redferns)

17 images
2023-06-21BristolsoundsMika-GettyImages.thumb.jpg.797f4fc6d8416f13e04ae80dae5536ee.jpg

bristol-sounds-2023.webp?s=1024x1024&w=g

bristol-sounds-2023.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

At last at home. During my travel I was able to watch again all my videos and now they are on YouTube.

I could write a lot about each and every song from this concert with so strong energy and emotions.

But I will post comments on some songs which attracted my attention more than usually.

Sorry when the image is shaking. I was dancing a lot. And singing like crazy :lol3:

I arrived in Bristol around 14:30 with @Kasia Mousa, who lives in London. I brought 20 tissue paper flowers with me for our fan action. It was good that Romy was already in Bristol in early morning and was able to arrange work for fans waiting in line to enter. The organizers of the festival became very interested in what people cut out of colored paper there. And they uploaded videos and photos to social media 🙂

Yes, they were flowers made of tissue and crepe paper, which referred to the latest scenography: a garden full of flowers. This time also the audience was to turn into a garden full of colorful flowers.

The organizers of the festival took great care of the safety of the spectators and did not allow the fans to run right after opening the doors. They did it in such a way that the security men formed a row and calmly walked towards the stage. And we (equally calm) followed closely behind them. In this way, there were no scuffles.

Calum Scott performed as Support. I think his performance was very successful. He is a young man full of energy and with a very good voice. He also has a charisma that helps so much in getting a good contact with the audience. Mika chose and personally invited Calum to perform before him at the Bristol Sounds festival.

Everything was on time, Mika entered the stage just before 9:00 pm.

To my surprise, Mika started the concert with the "old" intro and Lollipop, and not with Love Today as it was in Talence. But as he later said at the Fan Club meeting, the setlist will be moving and there will be a lot of changes. Anyway, you can clearly see in the video that our fan action made an impression on him from the moment he entered the stage 🙂

It wasn't without bringing the audience to euphoria when Mika entered the audience with the song Big Girl 🙂

The scenography with the magic piano is fabulous. There is also a play of lights in the background. There was a small accident when the sign "MAY YOUR HEAD ALWAYS BLOOM" started to go up and then fell down. I think the sign should go up at the end of the concert, but maybe there was a change. In any case, it seems that transporting an instrument with such complicated machinery hidden inside does not serve it well. Mika complained at the meeting after the concert that "his piano broke down".

Also during Tiny Love, one of the sparks from the fireworks set the stage on fire. But Mika noticed it immediately and stepped on the fire with his shoe 🙂 My hero :das:

I recorded only a small part of Relax. It's the song when I wave my flag.

During Popular, Mika came down to the audience and stood by the barrier. Of course, he collected a few things from the viewers: a crown and an LGBTQ flag. People got crazy again.

Blame it On The Girls - still with the crown and the flag.

Billy Brown is not my most favorite song, but in Bristol it sounded so good! And the lights were so beautifil.

And the audience was singing sooooo loud1

And just before the song someone thrown a mobile on the stage and Mika took a be.reel photo with it :lol3:

Underwater - always a big fun!

Of course, Mika's concerts are a constant interaction with the audience. Mika sang Yo-Yo directly to one fan who wrote UR MIKA MAKE ME CRAZY on his T-shirt. The boy's name is Jacob and he was really touched. Perhaps he really needed such attention from Mika that day?

Mika sings again Happy Ending in a "proper" technique way and I love again to listen to it without worrying if his voice will break or not.

Surprise of the day: Last Party.

Mika forgot the lyrics… But the audience sang what was needed 🙂 The English audience is great. It knows the lyrics to all the songs and can sing them beautifully. I emphasize the word "sing" and not "scream", as is often the case at concerts in other countries, where the fans tear their throats, screaming and shouting lyrics which hurts my ears.

The standard songs for the end: Grace Kelly, We Are Golden and Love Today.

This time at Love Today, Mika walked among the audience with a tiger mask on his head. People have gone crazy!!!!

Oh and one more thing. Note the purple suit in Love Today. Mika had a big flower pinned to it, which resembled our ones made of tissue paper. Coincidence? Has Mika seen Insta Stories with our preparations???? It will remain a secret 🙂

Since there is a curfew period during the festival, Mika had to finish the concert before 10:30 pm. But for us it wasn't over yet. MFC organized a meeting with Mika, which started around 11:00 pm and lasted about 15-20 minutes. Of course it was too short!!! But we had a Polish accent 🙂 During Relax Mika noticed my flag. And when at the meeting he started asking about the countries we came from, he also mentioned Poland. There were three of us this time! Me, @Kasia Mousa and @Elaire14 (Monika). Each of us said something. Especially Monika thanked Mika for his music, which 15 years ago helped her a lot in the difficult moments of her teenage life. Both Monika and Kasia attended the only Polish concert at the Orange Festival in Warsaw in 2010.

And I gave him the pin I ordered just before I left Poland for the concert. And it looks exactly like the flag I take to concerts 🙂

Here is a short video from Kasia.

It was truly the best concert I've been to. It's funny that I say this after every concert, but really every time Mika can put us in such a state where we forget about the whole world outside the concert venue. Each time there is something more, something that allows you to forget about the past and only here and now matters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

The Bristol Gig Guide

https://thebristolgigguide.com/review-mika/

June 23, 2023

Review-Bristol Sounds Day One – Mika

June 21st- Bristol Sounds

Never have I seen so much joy and pride in one venue. From the very beginning, there were paper flowers, outfits, and colour galore. Even through Calum Scott’s opening set, the crowd were full of energy.

This enthusiasm exploded when Mika came onstage in true Mika-fashion. Quite literally! Dressed head to toe in sparkles, he then continued to perform one of the most cohesive performances I’ve ever seen, complete with audience participation, outfit changes, and pitch-perfect vocals. This is a man who’s honed his craft over years of performing, and it has clearly paid off.

During his iconic song “Big Girl” he disappeared off into the crowd to do the full circuit, much to the joy of the crowds at the back, before reappearing minutes later full of smiles and energy.

A crowd favourite, “Grace Kelly,” lit by colourful stage lights and the boats behind, was definitely a highlight for me. You can tell Mika was born for the stage and adores what he does. What a phenomenal start to the Bristol Sounds festival. Everybody really did Love Today.

2-scaled.thumb.webp.dcd29b8b91f070b0a11c0eebc8113958.webp

4-scaled.thumb.webp.e43ce88893a11c25e200a0df586d135b.webp

1-scaled.thumb.webp.ed3a0a0dd1635022c6c533a45a802824.webp

7-scaled.thumb.webp.f26782b51c6327fcdcc161b19d493d21.webp

8-scaled.thumb.webp.af5aac01b0194617e6ac1b48e0ef1746.webp

6-scaled.thumb.webp.c0cf79231a0fdbddeb377076015bcc60.webp

9-scaled.thumb.webp.f1558b74a21f8687eee9146e2a11809d.webp

10-scaled.thumb.webp.99d9e92e8e523858907145417fb3c8a1.webp

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Not sure why I was able to upload this big video, maybe the admin / super moderator accounts don't have the upload limits - however, here it is, my uncut video of most of the M&G. :wink2:

This video is so awesome! 
Thank you, Karin. 
-Can you tell us more details about the French album?

-Nein!

That really made me chuckle😂😂🙊

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Kasia Mousa said:

This video is so awesome! 
Thank you, Karin. 
-Can you tell us more details about the French album?

-Nein!

That really made me chuckle😂😂🙊

I only noticed when watching the video that he added "bye bye sweetie banana" after that. :lmfao: So that at least answers the question whether that one will be on the album. :teehee: - maybe it's a hint that it'll be the first single - well, no surprise there, but it's sweet of him that he did add a little bit of a reply to my question. :lol3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, mellody said:

I only noticed when watching the video that he added "bye bye sweetie banana" after that. :lmfao: So that at least answers the question whether that one will be on the album. :teehee: - maybe it's a hint that it'll be the first single - well, no surprise there, but it's sweet of him that he did add a little bit of a reply to my question. :lol3:

I'm still chuckling at him thinking Rose was from Belgium! :lmfao:

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, mellody said:

however, here it is, my uncut video of most of the M&G. :wink2:

Thank you so much! :flowers2:  What a great way to meet him in such a relaxed and nice atmosphere, with no push and screams! I hope more people will see this and realize that keeping the distance and showing respect is the only way to get some quality time with Mika.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Hero said:

I'm still chuckling at him thinking Rose was from Belgium! :lmfao:

His little joke - he knows perfectly well where his penguin is from :naughty:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Starting to upload my videos of the gig...

Talk / Lollipop intro. He started by saying that usually you'd wear an outfit like that only at night (it wasn't dark yet when the gig started). "I am your tree", he's so cute! :lol3: :wub2:

OOL clip with flower

talk during OOL

Talk (about Pizza :teehee:) & Tiny Love full song, with flowers piano :wub2:

talk during Relax:

Popular Song intro

End of Popular Song

Blame it on the Girls

Billy Brown

Talk & end of Billy Brown

Talk about Steel's sign to choose a song, & Yoyo intro for Jacob :lol3:

Underwater

Underwater continued. Love it so much that he brought back the conducting the crowd without words, from the Revelation tour. :wub2: They even sang harmonies at one point!

Rain

Rain, with rainbow lights :wub2:

Happy Ending, last part with a little bit of love :wub2:

Crowd chanting "Mika! Mika!"

Last Party, full song:

Grace Kelly intro

We Are Golden

Love Today intro

Love Today cape dance & climbing into the crowd with his tiger head on:

Love Today ending

then the M&G video I already posted - and that's it! ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Bristol, you were magnificent! 

My experience started on Tuesday, after taking Martha to the cattery (she gets a holiday too!) I got to the train station with an hour to spare, thinking I could get something to eat in the station cafe before the 4.5 hour journey. Scratch that, turns out my first train was cancelled, and the next one would miss my connection. EEK!  The station staff directed me to a different train leaving, "um, NOW, QUICK, RUN!!"  Run?!:nervous: :dog: I made it, found a seat... then sat there for 20 minutes as they delayed it to wait for more passengers turning up for the cancelled train. :sneaky2: :lmfao:

An hour later I grabbed a sandwich at the connecting station, and got the 2nd train. This at least was uneventful, and I arrived at Temple Meads about 4.30pm. Google said the hostel was a 15 minute walk away (ahahaha) so I set off with my trolley case trundling over the cobbles. 5 minutes later I realised I was going the wrong way :doh: so turned around. On the right path, it was quite easy to find the hostel, down on the harbourside just over the water from the venue. I met up with @Prisca who was sharing a room with me and Fanny, then went in search of a working cubicle for a much-needed shower. 

After Fanny arrived we all headed to the restaurant for the MFC dinner, and met with the other fans. It was so lovely to see everybody again, and to meet some new faces. :lustslow: We were greeted with news that Mika had bought several bottles of Prosecco for us to enjoy! :wub2: Bless him, that got the evening started nicely. The food was delicious, and the staff and the venue were lovely. Then Deb let us know that she would be sending us an email, confirming that there was room for everyone at the dinner to be at the M&G with Mika after the gig! Oh WOW!! Could the evening get any better? Well, yes, as it happens...   After we'd eaten, the server brought the bill to the table and was directed to Deb. I'm sure you've seen it on social media by now, but instead of the bill there was a message from Mika... 

20230620_224351.thumb.jpg.daa9f259d39c55ad7b42d250cad89180.jpg

Oh my god, that man... :wub2: This was perfect, we were so surprised.  Even Deb had no idea. We all shared a beautiful moment of delight and wonder over our incredible guy. 

After the dinner we walked up the road to scope out the venue. It was fenced off, but we could go down an access ramp and watch the light show as a technician worked late. Even from there, we could tell it would be a good space for the gig. We then returned to our various lodgings to try and get some decent sleep, in advance of queuing day - with much discussion about what time to set the alarm for. (6am? When's that? Are you mad?):naughty:

-------‐-------------

The next day dawned bright and early at 6am... :baghead: ... then 6.15am... then 6.30am... :lmfao:  We got ready, grabbed our supplies, and made the short walk to the queuing point. Fanny and Prisca had gone ahead of me, and when I got there Sarina had also arrived. Shortly after Nina arrived, and then Camille who had actually been there at the start, but sat in a different area. They were soon followed by Emily, Chiara, Karin, Deb, and the usual gang. We spread out on the pavement with various sheets and cushions. The blue sky was already promising a scorching day. 

The chief security chap came over for a chat and kindly said they'd noted that we were here first, so they'd make sure we would keep our places when the gates opened. He also said there was a toilet in the gated off section that we could use, and handed out bottles of water! What a sweetheart. :glasses:

After a quick trip to the local supermarket for some breakfast things, we settled down for a day of queuing and crafting. And what crafting! We had several people making paper flowers for the fan action (brilliant idea by @Anna Ko Kolkowska :clap:), beaded bracelets being made, and clothes being embroidered ready to wear for the gig! MFC are a talented bunch! 

In the afternoon, it happened. Rain! Noooo!!! The security guys gave us some plastic bags to protect the paper flowers (again, such nice people!) and we scrabbled around trying to keep everything dry. Some dashed to the cafe for shelter, others put on waterproof ponchos, and others (hello!) didn't care as we'd soon dry off again. :teehee:

We could hear music from the stage - it was the engineers doing their checks. A few of us clustered near the gate (still raining) and sang/shouted along to Love Today and (gasp!) Overrated! That caused a ripple of excitement, even if it wasn't played on the night we knew the setlist had been changed. 

The rain stopped, people came back, and craft projects continued. New people were arriving regularly now, and it was pleasing to see the queue growing for Mika. ☺️ @goose arrived with the beautiful box she hand made for Mika, and everyone started writing letters to fill it. We saw the choir arrive and shared a friendly wave and smiles.  Then - nooooo! - more rain! More scurrying around keeping things dry, dashing for shelter, and rewriting soggy letters. 

Eventually the rain stopped, and sunshine prevailed. It was obvious it would stay dry, so we got rid of the soggy messes and crafted replacements where needed. We watched as the band arrived and were sent round to the back gate, where the choir had gone. Then laughed when Max bounded up 10 minutes later, and was allowed straight through the main gate! I guess he knew the password. 😉

About 4.30pm the security team started putting out queue barriers, and we saw the queue would be broken into 4 lines for entry. That made us nervous, but they took us into the lines in number order, ie no's 1-4 were the first person in each line. We then had a long wait stood in the bright sunshine. Why do festival organisers never consider shelter for queues? 

Just before opening, the security chief said we would be walking behind him to the stage, maintaining our places, and anyone running would be sent back. This was mainly for safety as the path was over cobbles which were slippery after the rain. We were very happy to hear the plan, and you could feel some of the front row nerves dissipate. 

At 6.30pm sharp, the site opened and they began to scan our tickets. Disaster, he couldn't read my ticket. We were trying all sorts to make it work. Finally the supervisor walked over, picked up the scanner, waved it at my ticket and bing! Entry allowed. What the heck? Faulty equipment or staff training needed!

We grouped in our lines behind the security chief and he walked us steadily down the path, over the courtyard and right up to the stage! How cool was that? Everyone was so happy. 😄

We had about 50 minutes wait while the crowd came in, and it was clear the place would be full - we'd seen the announcement Mika had posted just before that it was sold out. 🥳

The support act was decent, he had a good voice but he didn't 'grab' me. Then again, when Mika's the standard, that's a pretty high bar. 😁 I dont know if it was a technical thing, but the drums seemed to be overly emphasised. Hello earplugs! The crowd liked him, and were singing along, responding to callouts. He rounded off with his cover of Robyn's hit "Dancing on my own" and I'm so glad, because that's the song that got him noticed and does actually speak to me a bit. For me, the emotion he puts into that one far exceeds the others. And that last note! I didn't think he was going to stop! The whole crowd were singing for that one. 😊

Interval, and it seemed some more people arrived as the crowd swelled and we started to get some pushing from the rows behind us. One pushy screaming girl got very annoying very quickly. During the interval. The earplugs were needed again to block her out! Also, some people had large bags with them. Why?? Which were placed on the ground ready to catch the feet of anyone dancing. Again, why?? Can you say trip hazard?? Seriously guys, don't do that. No one wants to break their ankle on your luggage. 

But overall, these were minor niggles. And if you thought the crowd was loud before... "I wanna talk to you" lifted the metaphorical roof. The band and choir came on to cheers, and then Mika strode out in his gorgeous sparkly green suit. The place went nuts. What a surge of energy, excitement and anticipation! Mika smiled at the crowd, then spotted the flowers and pointed at them with a big grin. Safe to say, he liked them! 🥰

Others have commented on the songs and performance, and the videos are up, so I'll just add my personal highlights. (I know, I know... "finally" 😝) It's difficult because when it comes to Mika, his songs, his performances - so often I think I have the words, then find I have no words at all to adequately describe and express them. 

Mika himself was incredible. A whirlwind of energy with a playful smile, witty chat and a heart of gold. He held the audience from the start and carried us with him through such an emotional and inspiring show. 

Stand out moments - the beautiful suits. The giant flowers. The incredible floral piano (even if the sign fell down 🙈). The fireworks. His apology for treading on someone's pizza. 🤣 Billy Brown, and his speech at the end explaining the song's origins "Who's Billy Brown? I'M Billy Brown!" ❤  Jumping boy Jacob Jacob Jacob, and his reaction to Mika singing YoYo to him. Mika turning into a choir conductor for Underwater and making the crowd sing for him - all without saying one single word. 🤭 Last Party. Last Party! 😍 The entire crowd shouting "Love! Love! Love!" for Love Today. The now iconic cape dance and the tiger head. 

Amazing. From start to finish. I was in a haze. 😍🥰🥳🧡💛💚💙💜💯💥💫

Afterwards we followed Deb to the arranged point for his team to check us in for the M&G. I was given a wristband and allowed through the fence to the riverside, where we spotted and had a quick chat with Max, before he went to try and "steal a guitar from the stage". :lmfao: As we were waiting, Andy also dashed past with someone else, obviously on a mission. 

We were herded into a tent with tables and chairs, and told that Mika would be here shortly. We were warned that it wouldn't be a long one because of the curfew, and asked to keep the noise down (ie no screaming). No problem! A few minutes later, in he came, looking dashing in his hat like he was on a gentle stroll through the park, and not at all like he'd just given everything both on and off stage for the last 90 minutes. 

And I know we know this, and it's not the first time I've seen him close up, but wow this man is tall! 😅😍

The M&G was short but sweet. He answered and asked some questions, signed some things, received some gifts (he loved the box of letters) and did a group photo. And throughout he was his usual, chatty, cheeky, slightly bemused self. I didn't get to speak to him, but that's probably best given that I was still in a haze! One day. 😉

Afterwards, a group of us collapsed in the hotel bar where Deb, Karin and several other fans were staying, to have a birthday drink with Ani and have a post-show chat. That was the best cold cider and comfy sofa I've ever had. 😅 Prisca, Fanny and I then walked back to the hostel (well, they walked. I sort of shuffled. My hips and back were protesting painfully! 😬). 

The next morning we said our goodbyes, and I  watched them leave for the airport to go to the Tilloloy gig (take me with you!! ) while I headed back to the train station. No cancellations this time (dammit), I arrived back uneventfully and collected Martha from the cattery. Got back home and collapsed into bed. 😅  

The gig was awesome amazing, he was fantastic (natch), and I can't wait for Cattolica!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I had an amazing time at Bristol! It's been a few days now and I still can't get over the fact that I watched Mika live and joined the m&g, this was probably a one in a lifetime opportunity for me so I will be cherishing it forever. Thank you so much to all the lovely people I met there, Mika fans are an amazing crowd!

My videos of the show are uploaded on this playlist (click on the top right of the video), a few of the last ones are probably still processing. Hope you enjoy! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Hero said:

Bristol, you were magnificent! 

My experience started on Tuesday, after taking Martha to the cattery (she gets a holiday too!) I got to the train station with an hour to spare, thinking I could get something to eat in the station cafe before the 4.5 hour journey. Scratch that, turns out my first train was cancelled, and the next one would miss my connection. EEK!  The station staff directed me to a different train leaving, "um, NOW, QUICK, RUN!!"  Run?!:nervous: :dog: I made it, found a seat... then sat there for 20 minutes as they delayed it to wait for more passengers turning up for the cancelled train. :sneaky2: :lmfao:

An hour later I grabbed a sandwich at the connecting station, and got the 2nd train. This at least was uneventful, and I arrived at Temple Meads about 4.30pm. Google said the hostel was a 15 minute walk away (ahahaha) so I set off with my trolley case trundling over the cobbles. 5 minutes later I realised I was going the wrong way :doh: so turned around. On the right path, it was quite easy to find the hostel, down on the harbourside just over the water from the venue. I met up with @Prisca who was sharing a room with me and Fanny, then went in search of a working cubicle for a much-needed shower. 

After Fanny arrived we all headed to the restaurant for the MFC dinner, and met with the other fans. It was so lovely to see everybody again, and to meet some new faces. :lustslow: We were greeted with news that Mika had bought several bottles of Prosecco for us to enjoy! :wub2: Bless him, that got the evening started nicely. The food was delicious, and the staff and the venue were lovely. Then Deb let us know that she would be sending us an email, confirming that there was room for everyone at the dinner to be at the M&G with Mika after the gig! Oh WOW!! Could the evening get any better? Well, yes, as it happens...   After we'd eaten, the server brought the bill to the table and was directed to Deb. I'm sure you've seen it on social media by now, but instead of the bill there was a message from Mika... 

20230620_224351.thumb.jpg.daa9f259d39c55ad7b42d250cad89180.jpg

Oh my god, that man... :wub2: This was perfect, we were so surprised.  Even Deb had no idea. We all shared a beautiful moment of delight and wonder over our incredible guy. 

After the dinner we walked up the road to scope out the venue. It was fenced off, but we could go down an access ramp and watch the light show as a technician worked late. Even from there, we could tell it would be a good space for the gig. We then returned to our various lodgings to try and get some decent sleep, in advance of queuing day - with much discussion about what time to set the alarm for. (6am? When's that? Are you mad?):naughty:

-------‐-------------

The next day dawned bright and early at 6am... :baghead: ... then 6.15am... then 6.30am... :lmfao:  We got ready, grabbed our supplies, and made the short walk to the queuing point. Fanny and Prisca had gone ahead of me, and when I got there Sarina had also arrived. Shortly after Nina arrived, and then Camille who had actually been there at the start, but sat in a different area. They were soon followed by Emily, Chiara, Karin, Deb, and the usual gang. We spread out on the pavement with various sheets and cushions. The blue sky was already promising a scorching day. 

The chief security chap came over for a chat and kindly said they'd noted that we were here first, so they'd make sure we would keep our places when the gates opened. He also said there was a toilet in the gated off section that we could use, and handed out bottles of water! What a sweetheart. :glasses:

After a quick trip to the local supermarket for some breakfast things, we settled down for a day of queuing and crafting. And what crafting! We had several people making paper flowers for the fan action (brilliant idea by @Anna Ko Kolkowska :clap:), beaded bracelets being made, and clothes being embroidered ready to wear for the gig! MFC are a talented bunch! 

In the afternoon, it happened. Rain! Noooo!!! The security guys gave us some plastic bags to protect the paper flowers (again, such nice people!) and we scrabbled around trying to keep everything dry. Some dashed to the cafe for shelter, others put on waterproof ponchos, and others (hello!) didn't care as we'd soon dry off again. :teehee:

We could hear music from the stage - it was the engineers doing their checks. A few of us clustered near the gate (still raining) and sang/shouted along to Love Today and (gasp!) Overrated! That caused a ripple of excitement, even if it wasn't played on the night we knew the setlist had been changed. 

The rain stopped, people came back, and craft projects continued. New people were arriving regularly now, and it was pleasing to see the queue growing for Mika. ☺️ @goose arrived with the beautiful box she hand made for Mika, and everyone started writing letters to fill it. We saw the choir arrive and shared a friendly wave and smiles.  Then - nooooo! - more rain! More scurrying around keeping things dry, dashing for shelter, and rewriting soggy letters. 

Eventually the rain stopped, and sunshine prevailed. It was obvious it would stay dry, so we got rid of the soggy messes and crafted replacements where needed. We watched as the band arrived and were sent round to the back gate, where the choir had gone. Then laughed when Max bounded up 10 minutes later, and was allowed straight through the main gate! I guess he knew the password. 😉

About 4.30pm the security team started putting out queue barriers, and we saw the queue would be broken into 4 lines for entry. That made us nervous, but they took us into the lines in number order, ie no's 1-4 were the first person in each line. We then had a long wait stood in the bright sunshine. Why do festival organisers never consider shelter for queues? 

Just before opening, the security chief said we would be walking behind him to the stage, maintaining our places, and anyone running would be sent back. This was mainly for safety as the path was over cobbles which were slippery after the rain. We were very happy to hear the plan, and you could feel some of the front row nerves dissipate. 

At 6.30pm sharp, the site opened and they began to scan our tickets. Disaster, he couldn't read my ticket. We were trying all sorts to make it work. Finally the supervisor walked over, picked up the scanner, waved it at my ticket and bing! Entry allowed. What the heck? Faulty equipment or staff training needed!

We grouped in our lines behind the security chief and he walked us steadily down the path, over the courtyard and right up to the stage! How cool was that? Everyone was so happy. 😄

We had about 50 minutes wait while the crowd came in, and it was clear the place would be full - we'd seen the announcement Mika had posted just before that it was sold out. 🥳

The support act was decent, he had a good voice but he didn't 'grab' me. Then again, when Mika's the standard, that's a pretty high bar. 😁 I dont know if it was a technical thing, but the drums seemed to be overly emphasised. Hello earplugs! The crowd liked him, and were singing along, responding to callouts. He rounded off with his cover of Robyn's hit "Dancing on my own" and I'm so glad, because that's the song that got him noticed and does actually speak to me a bit. For me, the emotion he puts into that one far exceeds the others. And that last note! I didn't think he was going to stop! The whole crowd were singing for that one. 😊

Interval, and it seemed some more people arrived as the crowd swelled and we started to get some pushing from the rows behind us. One pushy screaming girl got very annoying very quickly. During the interval. The earplugs were needed again to block her out! Also, some people had large bags with them. Why?? Which were placed on the ground ready to catch the feet of anyone dancing. Again, why?? Can you say trip hazard?? Seriously guys, don't do that. No one wants to break their ankle on your luggage. 

But overall, these were minor niggles. And if you thought the crowd was loud before... "I wanna talk to you" lifted the metaphorical roof. The band and choir came on to cheers, and then Mika strode out in his gorgeous sparkly green suit. The place went nuts. What a surge of energy, excitement and anticipation! Mika smiled at the crowd, then spotted the flowers and pointed at them with a big grin. Safe to say, he liked them! 🥰

Others have commented on the songs and performance, and the videos are up, so I'll just add my personal highlights. (I know, I know... "finally" 😝) It's difficult because when it comes to Mika, his songs, his performances - so often I think I have the words, then find I have no words at all to adequately describe and express them. 

Mika himself was incredible. A whirlwind of energy with a playful smile, witty chat and a heart of gold. He held the audience from the start and carried us with him through such an emotional and inspiring show. 

Stand out moments - the beautiful suits. The giant flowers. The incredible floral piano (even if the sign fell down 🙈). The fireworks. His apology for treading on someone's pizza. 🤣 Billy Brown, and his speech at the end explaining the song's origins "Who's Billy Brown? I'M Billy Brown!" ❤  Jumping boy Jacob Jacob Jacob, and his reaction to Mika singing YoYo to him. Mika turning into a choir conductor for Underwater and making the crowd sing for him - all without saying one single word. 🤭 Last Party. Last Party! 😍 The entire crowd shouting "Love! Love! Love!" for Love Today. The now iconic cape dance and the tiger head. 

Amazing. From start to finish. I was in a haze. 😍🥰🥳🧡💛💚💙💜💯💥💫

Afterwards we followed Deb to the arranged point for his team to check us in for the M&G. I was given a wristband and allowed through the fence to the riverside, where we spotted and had a quick chat with Max, before he went to try and "steal a guitar from the stage". :lmfao: As we were waiting, Andy also dashed past with someone else, obviously on a mission. 

We were herded into a tent with tables and chairs, and told that Mika would be here shortly. We were warned that it wouldn't be a long one because of the curfew, and asked to keep the noise down (ie no screaming). No problem! A few minutes later, in he came, looking dashing in his hat like he was on a gentle stroll through the park, and not at all like he'd just given everything both on and off stage for the last 90 minutes. 

And I know we know this, and it's not the first time I've seen him close up, but wow this man is tall! 😅😍

The M&G was short but sweet. He answered and asked some questions, signed some things, received some gifts (he loved the box of letters) and did a group photo. And throughout he was his usual, chatty, cheeky, slightly bemused self. I didn't get to speak to him, but that's probably best given that I was still in a haze! One day. 😉

Afterwards, a group of us collapsed in the hotel bar where Deb, Karin and several other fans were staying, to have a birthday drink with Ani and have a post-show chat. That was the best cold cider and comfy sofa I've ever had. 😅 Prisca, Fanny and I then walked back to the hostel (well, they walked. I sort of shuffled. My hips and back were protesting painfully! 😬). 

The next morning we said our goodbyes, and I  watched them leave for the airport to go to the Tilloloy gig (take me with you!! ) while I headed back to the train station. No cancellations this time (dammit), I arrived back uneventfully and collected Martha from the cattery. Got back home and collapsed into bed. 😅  

The gig was awesome amazing, he was fantastic (natch), and I can't wait for Cattolica!

The gig was absolutely amazing! It was my first time seeing Mika live so I was having the time of my life! It was lovely to meet you all and thank you for all the support on the box (he seemed to really like it which is a relief)! I hope to see you all again soon in the future, thanks for being so welcoming🥰. I'll post the photos from the meet and greet sometime next week (on instagram) as I'm still being sent a few😊.

Edited by goose
  • Like 9

Well, I'm finally back -- don't have the brain power to write a full report just yet, as I'm jetlagged to the max plus full of a cold.

But I have read through the thread and wanted to share a few comments, and a few pics/videos for now.

First off, thanks to everyone for being so great -- you really are a fantastic group of mf'ers to hang out with! ;) Thank you Andrea @Hero for helping to organize our pizza party on Tuesday night! Thank you @Anilado for your company on the train. Thank you @tiibet and @camille* for meeting me at the train station and getting me to the hotel! Thank you @Anna Ko Kolkowska for the great fan action idea. Thank you @Romy04 and @Mamy Ma for helping this artistically challenged person with flower-making. Thank you @kath for your help getting into the show! Thank you  @mellody for being a great roommate and just generally supporting me in everything. And I'm sure there are reasons that I should thank all the rest of you individually, but my brain is fuzzy now so please forgive me and know that I am grateful for all the moments that I shared with all of you over a few priceless days in Bristol!

About the show -- we couldn't have asked for better support from the Bristol Sounds team, from their social media crew to security and event staff. How lucky we were that they were so kind to us, and willing to tolerate a bunch of crazy super-fans!

I won't go into specifics, but it was fabulous to see Mika perform live like this again. I'll have more words later.

Until then, a few photos and short videos.

First, my best photos that would be appropriate for "Bab's Album" -- and for those of you who haven't been here that long, you should check out Bab's Album here for a laugh.

As I'm short, I always want to stand in the front row, but sometimes even standing right up front doesn't help!

Mika is back there somewhere, you can see a green sequined leg!

IMG_E6293.JPG

And the infamous slice of pizza. Those of you I spoke with after already heard the story -- but here it is again. A young boy, maybe 11 or 12, wormed his way to the front row between Karin and me. I let him stay, trying to be a good mama, but I lived to regret it. First he was waving his cell phone in front of my face, taking video. I finally told him I didn't mind if he stayed, but he had to keep the phone down. He did, mostly, but then after seeing people throw various things on stage (including a cell phone! did they not see how badly Bebe Rexha just was hurt from that?!), he got the idea to throw a slice of pizza on stage. So he waved that around in front of me for a good 15 minutes. When he turned to ask his mother somewhere behind us whether he should throw it, I told him NO and had him drop the pizza over the barrier, not under my feet. But not before it ended up in several of my videos and photos. :rolleyes:

IMG_6301.PNG

OK, OK... enough clowning around. Seriously, here are a few shots -- not Nina-quality, but good enough. More later...

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

IMG_E6293.JPG

Oops sorry, my fault/flower! 😅🙈 We should have swapped places... But well, Andrea next to me had her flower in my view a few times as well, so except for the pizza boy I suppose it wouldn't have made a difference. :dunno_grin:

47 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Thank you  @mellody for being a great roommate and just generally supporting me in everything.

Thank you!! It was great to have a bit of time again to chat and spend time together. :mikalove: And of course also thank you for organizing the M&G! :wub2:

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Well, I'm finally back -- don't have the brain power to write a full report just yet, as I'm jetlagged to the max plus full of a cold.

But I have read through the thread and wanted to share a few comments, and a few pics/videos for now.

First off, thanks to everyone for being so great -- you really are a fantastic group of mf'ers to hang out with! ;) Thank you Andrea @Hero for helping to organize our pizza party on Tuesday night! Thank you @Anilado for your company on the train. Thank you @tiibet and @camille* for meeting me at the train station and getting me to the hotel! Thank you @Anna Ko Kolkowska for the great fan action idea. Thank you @Romy04 and @Mamy Ma for helping this artistically challenged person with flower-making. Thank you @kath for your help getting into the show! Thank you  @mellody for being a great roommate and just generally supporting me in everything. And I'm sure there are reasons that I should thank all the rest of you individually, but my brain is fuzzy now so please forgive me and know that I am grateful for all the moments that I shared with all of you over a few priceless days in Bristol!

About the show -- we couldn't have asked for better support from the Bristol Sounds team, from their social media crew to security and event staff. How lucky we were that they were so kind to us, and willing to tolerate a bunch of crazy super-fans!

I won't go into specifics, but it was fabulous to see Mika perform live like this again. I'll have more words later.

Until then, a few photos and short videos.

First, my best photos that would be appropriate for "Bab's Album" -- and for those of you who haven't been here that long, you should check out Bab's Album here for a laugh.

As I'm short, I always want to stand in the front row, but sometimes even standing right up front doesn't help!

IMG_E6293.JPG

And the infamous slice of pizza. Those of you I spoke with after already heard the story -- but here it is again. A young boy, maybe 11 or 12, wormed his way to the front row between Karin and me. I let him stay, trying to be a good mama, but I lived to regret it. First he was waving his cell phone in front of my face, taking video. I finally told him I didn't mind if he stayed, but he had to keep the phone down. He did, mostly, but then after seeing people throw various things on stage (including a cell phone! did they not see how badly Bebe Rexha just was hurt from that?!), he got the idea to throw a slice of pizza on stage. So he waved that around in front of me for a good 15 minutes. When he turned to ask his mother somewhere behind us whether he should throw it, I told him NO and had him drop the pizza over the barrier, not under my feet. But not before it ended up in several of my videos and photos. :rolleyes:

IMG_6301.PNG

OK, OK... enough clowning around. Seriously, here are a few shots -- not Nina-quality, but good enough. More later...

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6111.MOV 173.08 MB · 2 downloads  

IMG_6128.MOV 48.95 MB · 0 downloads  

IMG_6141.MOV 205.46 MB · 0 downloads

Glad you got home safe! I hope the jetlag gets better soon😊, thanks again for organising the meet and greet. I hope to meet you and others again in the future!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Thank you Andrea @Hero for helping to organize our pizza party on Tuesday night!

My pleasure! Glad it turned out so well. 

Thank you for organising the M&G and keeping us in order! It was really nice to see you again. I hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 2

Oh, I meant to mention, we should have the group photo(s) in the next day or two. The photographer has sent them over to Mika's team, and I guess they want to go through them first before sending them on to us. So... a little more patience!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Oh, I meant to mention, we should have the group photo(s) in the next day or two. The photographer has sent them over to Mika's team, and I guess they want to go through them first before sending them on to us. So... a little more patience!

amazing!! thank you so much for organising the m&g debs and was lovely to meet you!❤️

• Like 2

@dcdeb

These awesome videos are uploaded by @bakerstreetish.

20 hours ago, bakerstreetish said:

I had an amazing time at Bristol! It's been a few days now and I still can't get over the fact that I watched Mika live and joined the m&g, this was probably a one in a lifetime opportunity for me so I will be cherishing it forever. Thank you so much to all the lovely people I met there, Mika fans are an amazing crowd!

My videos of the show are uploaded on this playlist (click on the top right of the video), a few of the last ones are probably still processing. Hope you enjoy! 

• Like 3