Mika's French album, out on 1 December 2023!

mellody

Thought I'd open a thread where we can post and discuss what we know about Mika's upcoming French album so far. Please feel free to collect the info about the album from all the recent promo interviews here.

The album will be released on 1 December 2023 and so far Mika hasn't revealed the title.

We already know some of the song titles that Mika has mentioned in various interviews:

C'est La Vie

Passager

Sweetie Banana

Moi, Andy et Paris

Apocalypse Calypso

Jane Birkin

30 Seconds

He also said that the album will have 12 songs altogether.

Edited by mellody
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, camille* said:

He says the chorus goes :

Qu'est-ce qu'il va faire chez les Grecs?

Est-ce que là bas ya un mec ?

Please excuse my French

Mais je crois bien que c'est fini 

Moi, Andy et Paris

What will he do in Greece?

Is there a man there?

Please excuse my French

But I think it's over

me, Andy and Paris

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, camille* said:

He says the chorus goes :

Qu'est-ce qu'il va faire chez les Grecs?

Est-ce que là bas ya un mec ?

Please excuse my French

Mais je crois bien que c'est fini 

Moi, Andy et Paris

Thank you! :flowers2:

Continuing the discussion here from the C'est La Vie press thread, about "Moi, Andy et Paris":

On 9/3/2023 at 3:54 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Ha ha ha. In Elle Me dit Mika was mean with his mum as well. And we don't comment it at all :lol3: Because the song takes its meaning only in a whole frame. And maybe because in French so it's easier to "swallow"? 

Elle me dit
"Un jour je n'serai plus là"
Mais c'est quand elle me dit ça
Qu'elle me dit un truc que j'aime

She sais : one day I will be gone (I will die)

And I like when she sais so

Does it mean Mika wanted his mum's death. No, of course not.

Well, we didn't comment it when the song was released because he didn't say then that it was about his Mum, that only came later, on the Revelation tour to be exact. And then he also put this love-hate-relationship with his Mum in the focus where you'd think, well, that's how they treated each other, apparently? Doesn't make it nice, but iirc Mika also said on the Revelation Tour that his Mum likes Elle me Dit. While he said that Andy got angry when reading the lyrics to Moi, Andy et Paris. So while you're right that we as outsiders perceive both as mean, I think it also depends on whether the one it's addressed at perceives it as mean and feels bothered by that.

I wrote this before reading some bits of the new interviews & lyrics today and had planned to write something more about empathy and how Mika used to say of himself that he's a "jealous b*stard" - but in fact the chorus sounds like it might well be about both of their jealousy - while Andy is jealous of Mika's connection to France where he feels excluded, Mika seems to feel the same about Andy's connection to Greece - maybe the latter even is the main point why Mika wrote the song? He said something about it being a revenge, "because he doesn't speak French" - So maybe it's rather that Mika feels hurt because he doesn't feel that his partner fully embraces Mika's French side, and at the same time feels jealous because Andy has a special connection to Greece that Mika can't relate to? If it's that, it's actually funny that they're fighting about this pretty much exact same issue they have in common. 😅 Maybe that's why Mika said in Cattolica that he's learning Greek "for several reasons" - and maybe Andy is learning French now? That'd be sweet. :wub2: And it's much nicer to think that they've resolved the issue the song addresses, and it doesn't make Andy feel bad (anymore) that Mika puts this on his album. :dunno_grin:

I suppose we might find out when we get the rest of the lyrics... or Mika will let us know eventually, as apparently he likes to talk about this particular song a lot. :teehee:

• Like 8

I think this Song could be about the fact that in couple when you feel excluded from a side of your partner (in this case Mika' s connection with France) you try to make yourself more comfortable by making things that make you feel at home (in this case Andy coming back to Greece). At the same time this provokes the other person' s jealousy for feeling that you are going away and trying to find your own space without him/her. I think this mechanism Is quite common in couples, especially when the two partners Have some diversities (countries, Friends, interests), It Is Easy to feel isolated and to find your own Place afar, and this on the other and can make the other person feel isolated and put apart. I think Mika has exagerated words to create a sense of Drama and narration mixed with a Little bit of irony but seeing Mika talking about It with smile makes me feel that they can manage this and that they often use irony in their relationship

Edited by peroalessandra
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Here is the whole video on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/RTL/videos/164932253252707

on YouTube

RTL Bonsoir

Le chanteur Mika était l'invité de Julien Sellier et toute la bande de "RTL Bonsoir !"

à l’occasion de la sortie de son nouveau single "C’est la vie".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

on YouTube

RTL Bonsoir

Le chanteur Mika était l'invité de Julien Sellier et toute la bande de "RTL Bonsoir !"

à l’occasion de la sortie de son nouveau single "C’est la vie".

Is there any way to add automatic subtitles?

Well I agree with Anna that this has the same kinda "mean" vibes of songs like elle met dit where he writes about conflict with people he loves in a brutally honest way.

But the thing is that Mika writes songs about his own emotions about situations. Not necessarily the truth of a situation or the real feelings of someone else but how he perceives them.

Which is why I even thought about whether that one line "Il vous aimes pas" could refer to the fans. Of course I don't think that Andy really dislikes the fans (I've seen first hand that's definitely not the case :D) but Mika has often expressed his frustration about conflicts by simplifying the other person's feelings and putting words in their mouth that are maybe only rooted in truth a little bit (like saying his mum would be happier with a straight son in all she wants).

As for the reactions, I mean he has said that his mum was also mad when he sang lollipop and big girl to her for the first time. And I remember a french interview where he talked about how they did a photoshoot because for the first time Andy agreed to be in a picture with him and then he was furious about the one that got published (even though it's a lovely picture). So I think he also likes exaggerating and making up some drama for us ;)

Anyway from the chorus it looks like it's going to be more about both their jealousy. Because even though he has said that spending a lot of time apart (and going off to do their own things) is what makes their relationship work, it makes sense that that's not always easy and you wonder what the other person gets up to without you.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Well I agree with Anna that this has the same kinda "mean" vibes of songs like elle met dit where he writes about conflict with people he loves in a brutally honest way.

But the thing is that Mika writes songs about his own emotions about situations. Not necessarily the truth of a situation or the real feelings of someone else but how he perceives them.

Which is why I even thought about whether that one line "Il vous aimes pas" could refer to the fans. Of course I don't think that Andy really dislikes the fans (I've seen first hand that's definitely not the case :D) but Mika has often expressed his frustration about conflicts by simplifying the other person's feelings and putting words in their mouth that are maybe only rooted in truth a little bit (like saying his mum would be happier with a straight son in all she wants).

As for the reactions, I mean he has said that his mum was also mad when he sang lollipop and big girl to her for the first time. And I remember a french interview where he talked about how they did a photoshoot because for the first time Andy agreed to be in a picture with him and then he was furious about the one that got published (even though it's a lovely picture). So I think he also likes exaggerating and making up some drama for us ;)

Anyway from the chorus it looks like it's going to be more about both their jealousy. Because even though he has said that spending a lot of time apart (and going off to do their own things) is what makes their relationship work, it makes sense that that's not always easy and you wonder what the other person gets up to without you.

I agree that this Song could be about reciprocal jealousy for feeling excluded from a side of the other person ' s Life, in this case connection with France for Mika and with Greece for Andy...and i also agree that Mika likes exagerating feelings in Songs, i Remember he sayed Years ago in an italian interview that when you exagerates a negative feeling in a Song, talkig about Truth but exagerating It, this Helps you to fight a thing that hurts you. And i also think that Mika often tends to put in light in songs the most dark sides of a relationship when he talks about people he loves the most, also with his Mother he used to do that before She suddenly got sick and passed away. Maybe this can.be also related to a sort of protection he has for people he loves and for his feelings that makes him not wanting to express openly his love but rather the dark sides of this love, taking for himself the light of these relationships

Edited by peroalessandra
  • Like 7

I really liked reading your comments about Moi, Andy et Paris and from what we could hear/read so far, I think you all are right. Also, it’s incredibly relatable to have these feelings and up and downs in a partnership, doesn’t matter how long you’ve been together. And apparently it also doesn’t matter if you are a famous poptart (yes I made that typo on purpose), because it can happen to all of us :)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Paloma wasn't happy about the song Mika had made about her either....

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 12:23 AM, mellody said:

Thought I'd open a thread where we can post and discuss what we know about Mika's upcoming French album so far. Please feel free to collect the info about the album from all the recent promo interviews here.

The album will be released on 1 December 2023 and so far Mika hasn't revealed the title.

We already know 6 of the song titles that Mika has mentioned in various interviews:

C'est La Vie

Passager

Sweetie Banana

Moi, Andy et Paris

Apocalypse Calypso

Jane Birkin

He also said that the album will have 12 songs altogether.

yes.. but also Modern Time :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paoletta said:

yes.. but also Modern Time :rolleyes:

I think that would be more for the English album due out next year.

22 minutes ago, SusanT said:

From what Mika said, I think tour dates will be announced soon.

:thumb_yello:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

9 hours ago, peroalessandra said:

I agree that this Song could be about reciprocal jealousy for feeling excluded from a side of the other person ' s Life, in this case connection with France for Mika and with Greece for Andy...and i also agree that Mika likes exagerating feelings in Songs, i Remember he sayed Years ago in an italian interview that when you exagerates a negative feeling in a Song, talkig about Truth but exagerating It, this Helps you to fight a thing that hurts you. And i also think that Mika often tends to put in light in songs the most dark sides of a relationship when he talks about people he loves the most, also with his Mother he used to do that before She suddenly got sick and passed away. Maybe this can.be also related to a sort of protection he has for people he loves and for his feelings that makes him not wanting to express openly his love but rather the dark sides of this love, taking for himself the light of these relationships

I quoted both of you above because I agree with just about everything you say. Yes, I think there is exaggeration, and yes, I think Mika projects his feelings onto others, and yes, I think he can be brutally honest about how things are and likes to explore the dark side of things. :thumb_yello:

7 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I really liked reading your comments about Moi, Andy et Paris and from what we could hear/read so far, I think you all are right. Also, it’s incredibly relatable to have these feelings and up and downs in a partnership, doesn’t matter how long you’ve been together. And apparently it also doesn’t matter if you are a famous poptart (yes I made that typo on purpose), because it can happen to all of us :)

I agree, it IS relatable. If you're in any long-term relationship, not just romantic ones, but friendships and family relationships, too --  there are lots of ups and downs. Your relationship is not always 50/50, in fact it almost never is -- sometimes it's 30/70 and sometimes it's 80/20 and that's how it is when you're in it for the long haul. You'll have disagreements, you'll tease each other, you'll be jealous, you'll be away from each other... it's all perfectly normal. :dunno:

BTW, I always call Mika a pop tart -- some UK show introduced him that way back in 2007, and it still makes me chuckle. :lol3:

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I think Mika’s love language is to make angry songs about the people that are most dear to him? :biggrin2:

I think so! Makes sense for the master of the "complinsulto," doesn't it? :wink2:

• Like 6

On 9/4/2023 at 8:05 PM, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

What will he do in Greece?

Is there a man there?

Please excuse my French

But I think it's over

me, Andy and Paris

Does anyone know what MIKA means with “But I think it’s over”, what’s going to be over?? I’m now a bit anxious🧐