New single: Jane Birkin, 17 November 2023

mellody

Still not my thing musically, but ouf those lyrics do strike a chord with me. They feel like lighthearted fun but at the same time they express this ambivalence that I've often seen in Mika, wanting to live and love freely and telling himself he doesn't care what other people think, but at the same time not liking the attention or gossip about his private life.

"All these looks that are killing me" --> loving freely without people staring, the sadly unrealistic queer dream.

I do wonder how much of it he wrote himself as he's only mentioned second as author on Spotify...

Anyway, seems like the whole album is him working on expressing his sensuality unapologetically, good for him! :)

• Like 10

The sound reminds me of the old '60s French movies with Belmondo, Alain Delon, de Funès. His voice sounds :wub2: , I don't get why he said he couldn't do the Ah-Ah part and needed Valerie Lemercier, I didn't even noticed her voice first. 

• Like 6

Hello from Paris!

Yesterday it took a little while for Mika to come out after the recording of The Voice. This is never a problem, because we then have time to chat with our friends. It was at midnight that we were still there, the song loudly blasting on the car speakers…and with around 15 fans we were dancing in the rain to Jane Birkin. 

Mika came out right after and said hi before he quickly drove off into the night. 

I love the song!! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

I do wonder how much of it he wrote himself as he's only mentioned second as author on Spotify...

It seems like he's quite often mentioned second or third on Spotify. But has that much to do with it who has written the song the most?

Edited by Svampsoppa
  • Like 2

Once again I am in love with a song! I really feel like Mika is expressing himself through the emotions of what Jane Birkin would have experienced too. It's interesting to have this insight into how he feels connected to an artist he's been influenced by (and no doubt someone he looked up to). I love the softness of it (it does give me slight AC vibes) but it's also catchy. As a non French speaker I'm surprised that this is the one I found myself singing along to quite easily! 

It's a wonderful song with very relatable lyrics too. It's not over the top or too brash (not that Mika ever is), it's straight to the point but also very poetic. It's perfect at making you feel free and light, I guess that's exactly the intention with the lyrics.

"Free, free, free as the air" 

It's so dreamy :cloud:

• Like 8

A few people have mentioned similarities between CLV, AC and JB. I'm not getting that the songs are the same. To me, there is a thematic similarity, there is a definite sound to them that I think will be distinctive to the album as a whole, for the concept. But they are each their own, individual songs, with their own intentions. 

You watch, the rest of the album will be completely different now. :lmfao:

I noticed something similar with a few songs on MNIMH, at the end when the music finished there was one background note or 'sound' that continued, as if it was leading into the next song. I wondered if he intended that as a thread connecting all the songs, but then changed it as it's not on all of them. It's definitely there on Tomorrow and Dear Jealousy, can't remember the others just now. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Hero said:

A few people have mentioned similarities between CLV, AC and JB. I'm not getting that the songs are the same. To me, there is a thematic similarity, there is a definite sound to them that I think will be distinctive to the album as a whole, for the concept. But they are each their own, individual songs, with their own intentions. 

This is how I feel, too. I think there’s an intentional connection through the songs, but not that they are the same, really.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Hero said:

You watch, the rest of the album will be completely different now. :lmfao:

I noticed something similar with a few songs on MNIMH, at the end when the music finished there was one background note or 'sound' that continued, as if it was leading into the next song. I wondered if he intended that as a thread connecting all the songs, but then changed it as it's not on all of them. It's definitely there on Tomorrow and Dear Jealousy, can't remember the others just now. 

Yes! Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Thank you!! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Hello from Paris!

Yesterday it took a little while for Mika to come out after the recording of The Voice. This is never a problem, because we then have time to chat with our friends. It was at midnight that we were still there, the song loudly blasting on the car speakers…and with around 15 fans we were dancing in the rain to Jane Birkin. 

Mika came out right after and said hi before he quickly drove off into the night. 

I love the song!! 

What a lovely way to hear that song for the very first time :wub2: 

• Like 2

Just to put more context to the song:

"Swimming Pool " is the title of a movie in which played Jane Birkin with Alain Delon.

Here is a video with some snippets of Jane and Alan.

There is as well a song written by Serge Gainsbourg pour Isabelle Adjani which Jane sang as well called "Pull marine" where the action takes place in a swimming pool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Hello from Paris!

I love the song!! 

He should have come out right at midnight, to party with you. :biggrin2: And done an IG live about it, so we could all have partied together. :wub2: :teehee:

I like how different people can interpret this song so differently, based on their own life experiences. :wub2: What Mika said in some interview a few weeks ago re. Jane Birkin, about sexual freedom and all that, isn't explicit in the lyrics, so to me it's mainly about feeling valued instead of judged, and I interpret "l'amour à la Birkin" as confidence, the love for yourself that gives you the strength to be and to show who you are without fearing other people's judgement.

The story Mika posted from that other interview yesterday (or was it 2 days ago already?), of him saying that some people shouldn't sing, made me think, because although it's not directed at anyone in particular, it's quite judgmental (and not very nice to say it so shortly after he asked people to sing along to his song, whether they can sing or not :no:). And in fact, when you yourself easily judge others, that makes you more worried of others judging you, because you assume others think the way you do. It's surely not the only reason for fearing judgment of others, but one of them. I didn't get to watch the whole interview yet and maybe he just had a bad day, I think usually he's not as quick with judgements but rather very empathetic (one reason why I love him :wub2:) - anyway I found it interesting to see this contrast between his words there and the lyrics of this song.

14 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Tonight I'm a child who is dancing.
 I'm a man who forgets himself

I love this part of the lyrics, it reminds me so much of what he keeps saying at his gigs, dance like no one is watching. :wub2: And maybe he says it there because it's his dream to do it, without feeling judged for it. At his gigs he can do it, and feel free, even though everyone is watching him, but not judging, not "killing him" with their eyes, but adoring him.

But I assume that when he's at a club it feels more like that to him:

14 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Never mind if my arms swing 
You make fun of me and you laugh

(or maybe he had actual experiences of being laughed at for his way of dancing, he always seemed insecure about it, although I think his way of dancing is wonderful :wub2:) ... btw, Google translate tells me it's "too bad if my arms swing", and my dictionary tells me that "tant pis" can mean both "nevermind" and "too bad" ... I guess "too bad" might make more sense in the context of people laughing about him? But ofc I don't know the details of how to use and interpret it, just wondering if it could be the other option too or if it's clear in the context that it would be "nevermind" here?

And about the first lines, sometimes too big and sometimes too small, I wonder if maybe it stands for how you feel, that sometimes you feel like you're the king of the world (and maybe you get judged for that because it's not far from there to behaving snobbish) and sometimes you feel like you're nothing - so the confidence that comes and goes, like probably for most people. Could it mean that, or wouldn't you use these words for that at all in French?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mellody said:

Google translate tells me it's "too bad if my arms swing", and my dictionary tells me that "tant pis" can mean both "nevermind" and "too bad" ... I guess "too bad" might make more sense in the context of people laughing about him? But ofc I don't know the details of how to use and interpret it, just wondering if it could be the other option too or if it's clear in the context that it would be "nevermind" here?

In this song's context , I think it's more  an "I don't care" meaning

58 minutes ago, mellody said:

And about the first lines, sometimes too big and sometimes too small, I wonder if maybe it stands for how you feel, that sometimes you feel like you're the king of the world (and maybe you get judged for that because it's not far from there to behaving snobbish) and sometimes you feel like you're nothing - so the confidence that comes and goes, like probably for most people. Could it mean that, or wouldn't you use these words for that at all in French?

Hum , not sure that we'd use this metaphore in a conversation , but I see what you mean . Kind of the "tiny love" video feelings I guess.

My thought is that he's maybe refering to his early teens when he was not already that tall , and I remember some interviews when he said that he was a little bit fat (just like many teenagers btw......) . Then that explains that he didn't feel at ease in his blue jeans , not necessarely in terms of size , but maybe also if he sometimes tried to wear the same kind of clothes than any other boy but it was not his true himself ....

Edited by carafon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mellody said:

The story Mika posted from that other interview yesterday (or was it 2 days ago already?), of him saying that some people shouldn't sing, made me think, because although it's not directed at anyone in particular, it's quite judgmental (and not very nice to say it so shortly after he asked people to sing along to his song, whether they can sing or not :no:). And in fact, when you yourself easily judge others, that makes you more worried of others judging you, because you assume others think the way you do. It's surely not the only reason for fearing judgment of others, but one of them. I didn't get to watch the whole interview yet and maybe he just had a bad day, I think usually he's not as quick with judgements but rather very empathetic (one reason why I love him :wub2:) - anyway I found it interesting to see this contrast between his words there and the lyrics of this song.

Lena first said that some singers think that anybody can learn to sing. Lena said that she is one of the persons who are unable to learn to sing. Mika disagreed and asked her to sing something. She sang absolutely out of tune. So Mika said that it's true. She can't sing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Lena first said that some singers think that anybody can learn to sing. Lena said that she is one of the persons who are unable to learn to sing. Mika disagreed and asked her to sing something. She sang absolutely out of tune. So Mika said that it's true. She can't sing.

Ah thanks. Well, I disagree, I think you can learn it - but as with everything ofc you have to put a LOT more effort into it when you don't have any talent to begin with, and you'll never be as good as the ones who do have talent and work as hard as you. And with singing, for most people it's not worth it, because it doesn't count much in our society whether you can or can't sing. Anyway imo singing is a way of self-expression, whether you sound "good" or not. There are some music styles, like thrash metal, where their "singing" is more like screaming, and I really can't listen to it - but still I'm not saying that they "shouldn't do it" - it's their way of expressing themselves and there are people who like it and listen to this style of music. I don't have to like it, but it has a right to exist.

Back to topic, I love "Jane Birkin" more and more, the more I listen to it. :wub2: It's seductive and addictive, I don't know how he does it, but it really makes me want to listen again and again, makes me smile and feel happy. Although my first impression was that it's just a nice little song and a bit melancholic, and now I'm already imagining hearing it at the arenas on his tour, with everyone dancing, and jumping up and down to the la la la la part. And that last chorus, he did the same with it as with the children's version of C'est La Vie, put another part of the song under the chorus (in this case the la la la part), and I just LOVE that! :fangurl: I think it's my fave song of the 3 we have so far from the new album.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Not quite. She said some singers think everyone can sing. He said no, it's not true. She said he's the first to tell her. And she's had coaches. He said there are those who shouldn't. She said she was one of them. He asked her to try, and agreed with her. 

On 11/15/2023 at 8:43 PM, Mikasister said:

@mellody I think he was talking about people trying to sing professionally, rather than as a hobby or for personal enjoyment - of course everyone has the right to do that. But sometimes, the auditions they've had on X factor - oof, no, honey, wrong career move. And then it's up to people like him to let them down, which is never easy and probably gets grating after a while. So better to be open and honest up front, rather than misleading people with false hope. 

That's my take on it anyway - I don't think he was being "not nice" or deliberately hurtful, just honest. His integrity wouldn't let him be blasé about it, it's too close to his heart. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hero said:

A few people have mentioned similarities between CLV, AC and JB. I'm not getting that the songs are the same. To me, there is a thematic similarity, there is a definite sound to them that I think will be distinctive to the album as a whole, for the concept.

I agree, there's obviously a thematic similarity amongst all 3 songs: enjoying the feeling of freedom in general, "la joie de vivre", yet they are each different in its own way.  But I can see why some people found similarities between JB and CLV, it's about the melodic line that sounds quite similar, not the message. 

Anyway, so far CLV remain my favorite, but I like this one as well, too bad Jane Birkin didn't get the chance to hear it...

Edited by krysady
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, krysady said:

Anyway, so far CLV remain my favorite, but I like this one as well, too bad Jane Birkin didn't get the chance to hear it...

I'd realy like to know  her daughters 's opinions about the song  ( Charlotte Gainsbourg and Lou Doillon )

• Like 4