• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the first part... tomorrow, after my exam, i'll translate the part that remains :wink2:

Mika: Who thinks I make children's music, read my texts!

Happy? Carefree? Pop? In this surprising interview, the Anglo-Lebanese singer debunks a lot of clichés about him. And he tells the drama behind his new album, The Origin Of Love: from the near-fatal accident of his sister Paloma at the end of a long love ...

Mika is a mystery. He is a character in a fairy tale (before the success of the single "Grace Kelly" in 2006, he was a waiter). He is a musical in its own right, because with the vocal range that he has, he could sing all the parts, male and female, of any work performed on Broadway.

And he is a possible actor in a new TV series that combines "Glee" and "Sex & The City" with a hint of the exotic (he was born like Michael Penniman Jr. in Beirut on 1983, from lebanese mum and american dad). He has the voice of Freddy Mercury in the body of a dancer, and he is the child that the Scissor Sisters would, if only they had sex with each other. After all, what we know of him - discs, videos, live shows, his column Pop-Up on XL - it's just a small part of a personality overflowing. Because Mika is <a mystery> also for himself, as he tells us before the concert in Vigevano, part of the "Dieci giorni suonati" by Barley Arts. In the lineup of that mid-summer show he has inserted several songs from "The Origin Of Love", the album that comes out these days.

< Who am I? A mystery, also for myself. I'm not so much thinking about it. I know, many think the opposite - I'm a computer, a cold pop product - but I'm very far from it. I let myself be guided by emotions, without a lot of calculations. To say, I do not even know at what point I am in my career. I only know that I make music since I have 12 years.>

But what inspired you to write pop songs, since you were studying to become an opera singer?

The anger. I hated school and I felt sick every time I crossed the courtyard to get to class. I had to find a way to escape. If I were not able to find a way out, I know, I would have made ​​a bad end: I would have been destroyed. So, I have entrusted to the melody, I started to gravitate to it, to create my own songs like small worlds apart. But after two album like LICM and TBWKTM... I realized that I would not have been able to continue writing, deconstructing the reality in which I lived. For more than a year and a half I have not write ​​anything.The only things that I have written have been for you of XL, the Pop Up column. And then I was always on tour, and between planes, bus, hotels and concerts I could not concentrate. When you travel and you perform live, you're an interpreter, even of your own songs. I'm not saying it is a rule, but that's what happened to me ... After more than a year - between 2010 and 2011, I made more than one hundred shows in Europe, Asia and North America - I had to stop doing the entertainer and go back to being creative but... It took a kind of atomic explosion in my life, to bring back to me the desire to write, to open my heart and start again to compose.

One day I woke up, the tour was over and I didn't have a job.... (to be continue...)

Here's the first part... tomorrow, after my exam, i'll translate the part that remains :wink2:

Happy? Carefree? Pop? In this surprising interview, the Anglo-Lebanese singer debunks a lot of clichés about him. And he tells the drama behind his new album, The Origin Of Love: from the near-fatal accident of his sister Paloma at the end of a long love ...

Mika is a mystery. He is a character in a fairy tale (before the success of the single "Grace Kelly" in 2006, he was a waiter). He is a musical in its own right, because with the vocal range that he has, he could sing all the parts, male and female, of any work performed on Broadway.

And he is a possible actor in a new TV series that combines "Glee" and "Sex & The City" with a hint of the exotic (he was born like Michael Penniman Jr. in Beirut on 1983, from lebanese mum and american dad). He has the voice of Freddy Mercury in the body of a dancer, and he is the child that the Scissor Sisters would, if only they had sex with each other. After all, what we know of him - discs, videos, live shows, his column Pop-Up on XL - it's just a small part of a personality overflowing. Because Mika is <a mystery> also for himself, as he tells us before the concert in Vigevano, part of the "Dieci giorni suonati" by Barley Arts. In the lineup of that mid-summer show he has inserted several songs from "The Origin Of Love", the album that comes out these days.

< Who am I? A mystery, also for myself. I'm not so much thinking about it. I know, many think the opposite - I'm a computer, a cold pop product - but I'm very far from it. I let myself be guided by emotions, without a lot of calculations. To say, I do not even know at what point I am in my career. I only know that I make music since I have 12 years.>

But what inspired you to write pop songs, since you were studying to become an opera singer?

The anger. I hated school and I felt sick every time I crossed the courtyard to get to class. I had to find a way to escape. If I were not able to find a way out, I know, I would have made ​​a bad end: I would have been destroyed. So, I have entrusted to the melody, I started to gravitate to it, to create my own songs like small worlds apart. But after two album like LICM and TBWKTM... I realized that I would not have been able to continue writing, deconstructing the reality in which I lived. For more than a year and a half I have not write ​​anything.The only things that I have written have been for you of XL, the Pop Up column. And then I was always on tour, and between planes, bus, hotels and concerts I could not concentrate. When you travel and you perform live, you're an interpreter, even of your own songs. I'm not saying it is a rule, but that's what happened to me ... After more than a year - between 2010 and 2011, I made more than one hundred shows in Europe, Asia and North America - I had to stop doing the entertainer and go back to being creative but... It took a kind of atomic explosion in my life, to bring back to me the desire to write, to open my heart and start again to compose.

One day I woke up, the tour was over and I didn't have a job.... (to be continue...)

Thank you so much dear Lucrezia :huglove::flowers2:

Best of luck for your exam sweetie :mikalove:

And he is a possible actor in a new TV series :shocked:

thanks lu! :flowers2: and good luck for your exam!

about the tv series, i understood it that way that they just make comparisons, like with the musical or freddie, trying to describe mika by metaphors. :dunno:

that's the way I understand it as well :wink2:

in other words he could play a role in such a kind of TV series (if there was one)

Edited by mari62

Thank you very much for translating Lucrezia! :flowers2: and good luck for your exam :wink2:

Love when he says " I let myself guided by emotions, without a lot of calculations..." :wub2:

Okay... Is that right? Is he going to be in a TV series?

Crumbs... I hope so! That'll do him no end of good! You know what I have wished. I've wished he'd be on Doctor Who, but that TV series mentioned sounds great as well.

Let's hope it's true, and if it's acting then it's much better than going on some talent show as a judge.

Thanks for the translation!

I think the Tv series thing is just a metaphorical hint imo like the Scissor Sisters/Freddy Mercury son thing ;)

Yes, it is just the way it is worded in the translation (I did not even notice it at first). I could say it would be clearer from the 'original' English version but since it is an interview, we may never have one.

That lovechild of Freddie Mercury and Scissor Sisters phrase is also so lame, boring and overused now :aah: I don't know how it sounds in Italian but in raw translation the way they worded it sounds totally bizarre. :dunno:

Yes, it is just the way it is worded in the translation (I did not even notice it at first). I could say it would be clearer from the 'original' English version but since it is an interview, we may never have one.

That lovechild of Freddie Mercury and Scissor Sisters phrase is also so lame, boring and overused now :aah: I don't know how it sounds in Italian but in raw translation the way they worded it sounds totally bizarre. :dunno:

I don't think it even exist an original for the interviews, it's not the translation it sounds lame in italian too, believe me :naughty:, but it's the tone that the writer uses and wanted to give to this interview I think it's just his style even though I don't appreciate it very much :fisch:

I don't think it even exist an original for the interviews, it's not the translation it sounds lame in italian too, believe me :naughty:, but it's the tone that the writer uses and wanted to give to this interview I think it's just his style even though I don't appreciate it very much :fisch:

This reinforces me in my belief that XL Republica may have put something together on their own as Mika missed the deadline for this issue.:teehee: