MIKA as a judge at "THE VOICE" France 2014

Sweetieval

Hello everybody, I'm new on the MFC and this is my first “serious” post. :) I just wanted to express my opinion too, and I apologize in advance for my English that isn't perfect. Let's start: I honestly still hope that it is just a rumour. There are a lot of things that don't convince me at all... First of all, I have to reply to those who see Mika's presence in the Italian Xfactor as a sort of “self-selling”, a way to earn money and popularity selling himself to something that is distant from his anticonformist approach on music. The thing is that most of you have a wrong idea about the Italian XF, 'cause you probably have in mind the english or the american ones (that's not your fault! ;). However, as I've said in my introduction thread, it's not that I'm a fan of the talent-show “mentality”, but I have to admit that Italian XF is different, and I'm personally very, very proud of the fact that Mika has undestood exactly the atmosphere of the show: it is not just a singing competition where melodramatic girls try to reach the highest notes of “I will always love you”, or where the judges are singers who were successful in the past and who are yearning for popularity and argue for the sake of the show. Italian XF, mostly thanks to the judge Morgan, is a show that-of course- has its television aspects, but whose aim is to get some good, not mainstream, often not well-known music on tv, and where the judges and the contestants like to be creative, not just “perform a song”. When Mika appeared as a guest judge last year he listened to Chiara who was singing a beautiful song written by an old Italian songwriter who is almost unknown today, and the judge who had chosen it had worked himself on the musical base, and even asked Mika if he recalised that he had tried to recreate the rhythm of the Bowie song “Can you hear me?” (Poor Mika :D). Then again, a few years ago, Marco Mengoni sang “My baby just cares for me”, by Nina Simone, or “Psycho Killer” by the Talking Heads, and I don't think that getting a wider audience of people to know music like this can be anything but a good thing. What I am trying to say is that it is different because it is very honest, as Mika said “free, not controlled”, everyone says what they want and the judges (except for Simona Ventura -.-) are all clever people and good musicians who care for music and not for the show. As Mika himself said (more or less)“Is this show businness? Yes. Is it art? No. Can art come from a show like this? Yes.” What I mean is that his partecipation on the show is not a mainstream choice, but the confirmation of his total unconformity, and that's why I'm happy with his choice, because it can stimulate him even artistically, it is something he can put his creativity and originality into. That's what doesn't convince me in this The Voice thing, the fact that he had even said that he refused to accept last year, the fact that he said in several interviews that he liked being on the italian xf because the judges had “a good energy, but a clever energy, and funny, not like the other music programmes” (Radio Deejay Interview). As I've said before these things that he said are not made up, I confirm that they're true because I know the italian xf and I know what he is talking about. And his partecipation on the voice sounds so weird to me, it doesn't look nor like a thing he would enjoy, nor like a challenge, nor something that may stimulate him. Then I don't know, he may have the best reasons in the world, but I'm not convinced at all. Anyway if this is true I hope he has a good time,I'm happy for the French people, and I hope he has the time to record the 4th album!! (I don't think time would be a problem , they say Freddie Mercury wrote “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” while he was having a bath XD). Well, sorry if I have gone off-topic somehow but I've wanted to say these things for a long time. :)

I understand your point. I can't say I can (as a foreigner) fully understand the spirit and differences of these talent shows - in my country they all look the same - but I actually thought his Italian adventure was somethings he could enjoy because it will be an experience and at least it meant staying in one country and having a little break from touring and traveling (and I could very well understand him wanting both a break and a new environment and even extra money). But I really can't understand how he could enjoy doing the French Voice, I just can't. It sounds just a lot of (non creative) work and busy schedules. And as I said I don't mind if he does things for money, and if this really pays enough to be worth it and doing this means he is able to do something else and more important (like promoting the new album or organizing a tour) I would love to hear it and it would explain it all.

I also would like to know Mika's own explanation about joining The Voice :teehee: Which explanation will he give this time? "France is my childhood's country, that's why..." :wink2:

More seriously, I hope he will give a hint about his motivation for doing it.

I also would like to know Mika's own explanation about joining The Voice :teehee: Which explanation will he give this time? "France is my childhood's country, that's why..." :wink2:

More seriously, I hope he will give a hint about his motivation for doing it.

I think it all started when he took part in the Enfoirés show: that's where he met Jenifer and Garou, the other members of The Voice jury :wink2: . Garou and Jenifer's label is Universal Music too.

Don't you think it could be part of the reason why he's doing it?

I think it all started when he took part in the Enfoirés show: that's where he met Jenifer and Garou, the other members of The Voice jury :wink2: . Garou and Jenifer's label is Universal Music too.

Why? Because he liked them so much? I have a friend I really like who studies Maths but that doesn't mean that I will go and study maths just because she does.:teehee:

So it's now officially official. From Mika's Facebook page:

"BIG NEWS - we are thrilled to announce that Mika has been confirmed as a judge for the new season of The Voice France! That's right, he'll be in one of the famous red chairs and tasked with finding France's next huge talent.

About the new role, Mika says, "I have the honor and pleasure to be a coach in the 3rd season of The Voice. I look forward to working on the show and with three talented judges: Jenifer, Garou and Florent Pagny. More than anything, I'm excited to meet the new talents The Voice will reveal to the public... I will try to stay spontaneous and instinctive in my choices. I am sure that the experience The Voice will fun and rewarding. So see you very soon! MIKA."

After the success of the first two seasons, Season 3 pre-hearings are already underway but registration is still open on MYTF1.fr. Stay tuned on TF1 and here for more updates!"

We can say whatever we want but I think money is the main reason he decided to do this. I'm not a fan of this decision but I hope he will surprise us with good music anytime soon. What would be a good idea is to do a Lady Gaga and rerelease TOOL with an ep of 5 to 8 songs. Then he won't be forgotten while working on a 4th album and still rides the waves of his popularity on the show.

It could increase sales of TOOL as well. But he still needs more promotion.

I think Mika actually touched on the truth when he said that his record company does not back his songs so he needs a beer company to do it. I don't know what is wrong with just saying that in regards to these talent shows. It is better than playing the public (and by extension his fans) for fools by saying totally non credible things like that he chose to do Italian X Factor because somehow Italy and X Factor are exceptional cases. He even used rejecting a similar show in France as a comparison to demonstrate how Italy was different.

Whatever his motivations are I don't believe Mika had "no choice". There is always a choice. Mika's original "story" was that he made a choice between staying true to himself or doing whatever is necessary to be a commercially successful pop star. That choice is always available to him. I am sorry for him and angry with various players in the music industry that he needs to make that choice, but it remains a choice nonetheless.

I would have said the beer commercial was a smart move, if it had been seen in more countries. Because LYL wasn't seen, it didn't get the chance it should have, to be a huge summer hit. The same with Uw on the Swatch ad. I see no reason why it couldn't be shown in the UK. It's the product that is being sold, not Mika. The ad just uses his song. So there should be no conspiracy to keep him off the ads. If it's not on, then he must have known the campaign wasn't in the UK. But it makes no sense for him to ignore such a lucrative market, where he actually started his career

Sometimes I actually feel bad for him because he deserves so much better :( But he does seem happy nowadays so, hmm... Maybe he does have some big plans for the future to give his career a boost? We'll see I guess.

This is what I hope too. I hope he'll really surprise us all one day, including his fans in the UK.

Hello everybody, I'm new on the MFC and this is my first “serious” post. :) I just wanted to express my opinion too, and I apologize in advance for my English that isn't perfect. Let's start: I honestly still hope that it is just a rumour. There are a lot of things that don't convince me at all... First of all, I have to reply to those who see Mika's presence in the Italian Xfactor as a sort of “self-selling”, a way to earn money and popularity selling himself to something that is distant from his anticonformist approach on music. The thing is that most of you have a wrong idea about the Italian XF, 'cause you probably have in mind the english or the american ones (that's not your fault! ;). However, as I've said in my introduction thread, it's not that I'm a fan of the talent-show “mentality”, but I have to admit that Italian XF is different, and I'm personally very, very proud of the fact that Mika has undestood exactly the atmosphere of the show: it is not just a singing competition where melodramatic girls try to reach the highest notes of “I will always love you”, or where the judges are singers who were successful in the past and who are yearning for popularity and argue for the sake of the show. Italian XF, mostly thanks to the judge Morgan, is a show that-of course- has its television aspects, but whose aim is to get some good, not mainstream, often not well-known music on tv, and where the judges and the contestants like to be creative, not just “perform a song”. When Mika appeared as a guest judge last year he listened to Chiara who was singing a beautiful song written by an old Italian songwriter who is almost unknown today, and the judge who had chosen it had worked himself on the musical base, and even asked Mika if he recalised that he had tried to recreate the rhythm of the Bowie song “Can you hear me?” (Poor Mika :D). Then again, a few years ago, Marco Mengoni sang “My baby just cares for me”, by Nina Simone, or “Psycho Killer” by the Talking Heads, and I don't think that getting a wider audience of people to know music like this can be anything but a good thing. What I am trying to say is that it is different because it is very honest, as Mika said “free, not controlled”, everyone says what they want and the judges (except for Simona Ventura -.-) are all clever people and good musicians who care for music and not for the show. As Mika himself said (more or less)“Is this show businness? Yes. Is it art? No. Can art come from a show like this? Yes.” What I mean is that his partecipation on the show is not a mainstream choice, but the confirmation of his total unconformity, and that's why I'm happy with his choice, because it can stimulate him even artistically, it is something he can put his creativity and originality into. That's what doesn't convince me in this The Voice thing, the fact that he had even said that he refused to accept last year, the fact that he said in several interviews that he liked being on the italian xf because the judges had “a good energy, but a clever energy, and funny, not like the other music programmes” (Radio Deejay Interview). As I've said before these things that he said are not made up, I confirm that they're true because I know the italian xf and I know what he is talking about. And his partecipation on the voice sounds so weird to me, it doesn't look nor like a thing he would enjoy, nor like a challenge, nor something that may stimulate him. Then I don't know, he may have the best reasons in the world, but I'm not convinced at all. Anyway if this is true I hope he has a good time,I'm happy for the French people, and I hope he has the time to record the 4th album!! (I don't think time would be a problem , they say Freddie Mercury wrote “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” while he was having a bath XD). Well, sorry if I have gone off-topic somehow but I've wanted to say these things for a long time. :)

I totally agree with you! :thumb_yello:

That's what made me happy about his X Factor experience, the fact that he was looking for the originality and creativity that are part of a real artist and not for the ordinary singer whose songs are created only to be heard on the radio or things like that, and that's why this talent is different from most of the others, both Italian and not. But what is making me think about it is the fact that he refused to do a similar experience in another program and soon after he accepted it, that's the only point I'd like to clear xD

Anyway, I respect his decisions, I'm sure he has reasons to do it! :wink2:

GAROU???? :shocked::aah:

He's from Québec!

OH MY GOD. IT'S ALL STARTING AGAIN!

MIKA IS DOING THE BEST FOR HIS CAREER AND YOU ARE ALL CRITICISING HIM. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU ARE HATERS!!

Ok. Notice the sarcasm, please. Supporting Mika or any singer goes beyond kissing the floor he walks on. I'm going to buy his albums, I'm going to pay for his gigs, and I'm going to keep on talking to my friends about the amazing singer/writer he is. Sadly I'm running out of proofs to show I'm right. And when I'll try to explain that he IS different, people will look at me and will say "different? How? He's doing the exact same thing than the rest". So I'll just down my head and will shut the **** up.

He's from Québec!

yes! Garou is very popular in France since the musical "Notre-Dame-de-Paris" and he is involved in french charity (les enfoirés....) and of course, he speaks french... :)

Of course, yes, all of these singing contests (or karaoke contests as I call them), are all the same. I think Mika just wanted to spend time in Italy because he obviously likes it there and make some money. The Voice in France though? I don't know...

yes! Garou is very popular in France since the musical "Notre-Dame-de-Paris" and he is involved in french charity (les enfoirés....) and of course, he speaks french... :)

well, that's it! we are going to have a "who has the cutest dimples" competition happening between the judges :naughty:

I don't believe for a second that the Italian XFactor is any different than any other show.

I have no idea if it's any different. But doing it one time sounds an experience, especially with learning a new language, and I totally understand wanting to spend a few months in Italy. I would love to spend a few months in italy. But doing it twice? So I hope these projects will bring him money and that way freedom to do his own projects or at least some other kind of benefit (contacts or new working methods or something). There must be a logical reason? He is intelligent and he can think very clearly, I know he can. So it can't be like, "oh, I met those Voice judges and decided to do this another talent show for a few months, it will be fun...". Not twice. And not in France, he goes to France all the time. So I try to concentrate on thinking that there will be some shows and new music at some point and that this is an episode to something more important, and now I just hope all these projects are not too much for his health and that he has enough time for being creative.

Edited by tiibet

OH MY GOD. IT'S ALL STARTING AGAIN!

MIKA IS DOING THE BEST FOR HIS CAREER AND YOU ARE ALL CRITICISING HIM. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU ARE HATERS!!

Ok. Notice the sarcasm, please. Supporting Mika or any singer goes beyond kissing the floor he walks on. I'm going to buy his albums, I'm going to pay for his gigs, and I'm going to keep on talking to my friends about the amazing singer/writer he is. Sadly I'm running out of proofs to show I'm right. And when I'll try to explain that he IS different, people will look at me and will say "different? How? He's doing the exact same thing than the rest". So I'll just down my head and will shut the **** up.

I don't see anyone saying that at all. All I see is negativity, and a few people trying to look on the bright side/figure out what might be his reasons. How horrible. :sneaky2:

I think one thing is certain. Regardless of our opinions, Mika doesn't believe for a second that Italian talent shows are extraordinarily better than French ones. Or he wouldn't have signed on to a French one before the Italian show has even aired. :naughty:

I don't see anyone saying that at all. All I see is negativity, and a few people trying to look on the bright side/figure out what might be his reasons. How horrible. :sneaky2:

I don't think anyone can be blamed for not having a party about this because most people here are here for Mika The Musician and not for Mika The Celebrity.

But I hope that for once he didn't lie when he said he was making new music. He can do all the sideprojects he wants but I'm just not going to throw confetti in the air when it takes up this much time. But we'll see. Maybe he'll surprise us.

Why? Because he liked them so much? I have a friend I really like who studies Maths but that doesn't mean that I will go and study maths just because she does.:teehee:

That's not what I was implying. I'm not hat stupid :teehee:.I'm just like any of you here trying to guess, understand, well do what all MFcers usually do :naughty:

Maybe, Jenifer, Garou or Universal already knew that Louis Bertignac would not do it again and Mika's name was suggested. Something like this :wink2:.

Edited by macboll

He's from Québec!

Yes he is. But I've googled him and found this "Garou : grâce à "The Voice", il signe un contrat chez Universal

http://www.chartsinfrance.net › ... › Bientôt de retour › Actualité de Garou‎

4 avr. 2012 - Garou rebondit. Le chanteur vient de signer un contrat avec le label Mercury (Universal Music France) il y a quelques jours pour la sortie d'un ..."

That's not what I was implying. I'm not hat stupid :teehee:.I'm just like any of you here trying to guess, understand, well do what all MFcers usually do :naughty:

Maybe, Jenifer, Garou or Universal already knew that Louis Bertignac would not do it again and Mika's name was suggested. Something like this :wink2:.

Okay was just trying to make it clear :naughty:

I think they just gave him a massive paycheck.

Hello,

I don't know if it has been posted here already (sorry, can't come a lot on MFC) but I read somewhere that Mika had to refuse the Voice season 1 in 2011 because he was too busy writing his album :wink2:

So, those people from Unviversal really wanted him to take part in this show...