Mika as a judge for "The Piano", Channel 4 UK, 2023

Kumazzz

Inside Soap UK - 11 February 2023

inside-soap-uk-11_02_2023_.thumb.jpg.3db96ca1d8c74ec18cae0886eb9008ac.jpg

THE PIANO Channel 4 WEDNESDAY

Keys to success
CLAUDIA WINKLEMAN HOSTS A NEW TYPE OF TALENT SHOW IN WHICH AMATEUR PIANISTS AUDITION FOR THE WORLD’S BEST, WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING…

This new talent show with a twist sees amateur musicians play on public pianos at four of the UK’s biggest train stations – while secretly watching on are renowned classical pianist Lang Lang and platinum-selling pop star Mika. They’ll be picking one player from each station to perform at a special show in front of thousands – and host Claudia Winkleman was amazed by the breadth of those who came to play…

“We had every kind of person, aged eight to 94,” she cheers. “We had somebody who’d been having lessons for years and somebody who’d taught themselves recently in lockdown. I didn’t even learn how to cook butternut squash so, you know, well done!”

The four stations in which the pianists perform are London St Pancras, Leeds, Birmingham and Glasgow – and the crowds got a bit too enthralled…

“They’d be dancing, then they’d shout in the middle of a performance, ‘I’m going to be late for work!’ and run off,” chuckles Claudia. “Plus there’s the thrill of having two greats hidden 10 metres away!”

Indeed, the show’s maestros Mika and Lang Lang had to choose just one pianist from each station to play at London’s Royal Festival Hall, and that was no easy task…

“They were torn,” shares Claudia. “There were intense discussions, but – because they respect each other so much – they got there. Mika is the king of wonder: he’s enthusiastic and so clever. And Lang Lang is so talented – people scream when they see him! They created the most magical double act.”

"WE HAD PEOPLE WHO TAUGHT THEMSELVES IN LOCKDOWN!”

InsideSoapUK11_02.2023_downmagaz.net-63_page-0001.thumb.jpg.3a34c88843d9c805d1b354e0fe8c7628.jpg

• Like 2

Radio Times

Published: Wednesday, 8th February 2023 at 4:57 pm

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/talent-shows/the-piano-channel-4-release-date/

The Piano release date: when does Channel 4 competition air?

In each episode, one lucky pianist will secure a place in the final and compete for the chance to play on one of the world's most prestigious stages.

Featuring an all-star judging panel and a number of emotional backstories, here's everything you need to know about The Piano.

The Piano airdate

The Piano airs on Wednesday 15th February at 9pm on Channel 4.

The series will air across five weeks on Channel 4, with amateur pianists being invited to play on public pianos in London St Pancras, Leeds, Glasgow and Birmingham train stations.

What is The Piano about?

The Piano is a new factual reality show which sees cameras placed around pianos in train stations, from London St Pancras to Glasgow, with classical pianist Lang Lang and pop star Mika secretly watching to see who will play the instrument.

Channel 4 teases: "From nonagenarians who have been playing for 80 years to 12-year-olds who have never played in public before, those who taught themselves to play the classics in lockdown to players who feel the music, composing pieces about their life experiences, and someone with no sight who against all the odds has mastered Chopin, commuters in train stations across the country will be stopped in their tracks as heartfelt, emotional and uplifting performances take place."

Each episode, Mike and Lang Lang will pick one performer to be given a once in a lifetime opportunity to perform on one of the world's most prestigious stages.

In the final, the four amazing pianists, one from each train station, will showcase their talent in solo performances in front of an audience of thousands.

The Piano host

The Piano is hosted by TV presenter and broadcaster Claudia Winkleman, who is best known for fronting Strictly Come Dancing and The Traitors.

Winkleman has also presented Let's Sing and Dance, The Great British Sewing Bee, One Question, Britain's Best Home Cook, Hell's Kitchen and other series, as well as her Saturday mid-morning shows on BBC Radio 2.

Secretly watching the artists take to the public pianos are professional musician Lang Lang and pop star Mika.

Lang Lang is an award-winning Chinese pianist who has previously appeared in Time's 100 Most Influential People in the World and carried the torch through Hornchuch at the London 2012 Olympics. He has played with the Berlin Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic and has played for President Barack Obama, Queen Elizabeth II and other high profile figures.

Mika is a Lebanese singer-songwriter who rose to fame in 2007 with his album Life in Cartoon Motion, particular the hit song Grace Kelly. He has since served as a judge and mentor on the French version of The Voice and Italy's X Factor, and last year he co-hosted the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Piano trailer

Channel 4 is yet to release a trailer for The Piano, however watch this space – we'll update the page as and when a clip comes in.

The Piano airs on Wednesday 15th February at 9pm on Channel 4.

radiotimes-1.thumb.jpg.ec5c2a6b50b9b952819e38ba8d6282c6.jpg

Channel 4

radiotimes-2.thumb.jpg.e1340663b8b8315266d452d4257a99bd.jpg

Mika, Lang Lang and Claudia, with Harrison (contestant) on The Piano.

radiotimes-.thumb.jpg.a0feb795c512ed0c67fccf3cf01d67c2.jpg

Claudia, Mika and Lang Lang in the reveal room on The Piano. Channel 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoheWrhJfSM/

langlangpiano

The first episode of The Piano airs on @channel4 this Thursday 🎹 I was blown away by the talent we saw producing this show. Make sure to tune in 😊

• Like 5

The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/tv-guide-tv-television-tonight/

11 February 2023 • 10:53am

What’s on TV tonight

Your complete guide to the week’s television, films and sport, across terrestrial and digital platforms

Wednesday 15 February

The Piano
Channel 4, 9pm

Social media is full of members of the public showing their chops on the many pianos installed in public places over the past few years. This show attempts to harness their multifarious talents for a gig at London’s Royal Festival Hall – but first they must unknowingly impress their judges. Introduced, respectively, as “the world’s greatest pianist” and “one of the world’s greatest performers”, Lang Lang and Mika hide out in a hilariously sparsely furnished anteroom to spy on them as they perform for train station passers-by and host Claudia Winkleman.

To what extent should charisma be prioritised over technique? What about self-composed pieces versus keyboard standards? And above all, what are their stories? A mechanic with a self-taught knack for propulsive boogie-woogie, a nonagenarian who met his wife (now a dementia sufferer) while playing jazz piano in a bar, and a construction site manager bold enough to improvise over Clair de Lune. Winkleman once again underlines her versatility after her moustache-twirling turn on pre-Christmas runaway hit The Traitors; overall, it’s full of inspiring examples of how music can offer relief and release aplenty. GT

www.telegraph_co_uk.thumb.jpeg.d69a873a3e15cf48eb53cd629bf2a7a8.jpeg

The Piano's judges, Mika and Lang Lang, and host Claudia Winkleman

Credit: Mark Bourdillon/Channel 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mika will be on the One Show tonight with Claudia so assuming to promote Piano 

BBC one 7pm GMT the show normally starts 

Edit friend sent  pic from end of last night's show, I haven't gone back to check but I trust her 

IMG_20230214_073103_289.jpg

Edited by BeccaStardust
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Mika on the One Show has been confirmed!

So as they're asking for questions, is it live? I thought it might be something they recorded when he was in London last week. But guess it makes sense that he's back in London for promo, as the show starts tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just now, mellody said:

So as they're asking for questions, is it live? I thought it might be something they recorded when he was in London last week. But guess it makes sense that he's back in London for promo, as the show starts tomorrow.

The one show is normally live 

There's normally some pre recorded bits but the main interview section will be live 

• Thanks 1

Mika might not necessarily be live in the studio, I think the last time he was on the show (talking about Eurovison) it was through a video live chat. Still nice to see him promoting The Piano though! 😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mellody said:

Thank you! :flowers2: Channel4 works fine with my VPN, but BBC kept saying it's not available in my location. :rolleyes:

From what I know the BBC is very tight and can somehow sense Vpns I think. I often have to turn my general one off even if it's set in the UK 

Channel 4'shoukd be okay