2022 - Mika @ TV recording for The Piano, Royal Festival Hall, London - 10 November

silver

All booked . 👍😀 it will be a very brief trip for Abby and I getting into central London about 4.30 and leaving at 1150 on the sleeper train. But really looking forward to it and seeing everyone. X 

• Like 6

I am checking the train tickets for the 10th of November and I found an information about strikes. Not only trains but the underground  in London as well.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes

image.thumb.png.ddc0f78e09c0b0b7b7b20fb62a499d13.png

For trains (I will arrive to Gatwick airport). The 10th of November is a day after RMT strike day. So it may be some problems especially in the morning.

image.thumb.png.4913d1a616dbc1bc2879e0ee584bbc71.png

image.thumb.png.a238fddc793bcb584304074fdda40497.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I am checking the train tickets for the 10th of November and I found an information about strikes. Not only trains but the underground  in London as well.

For trains (I will arrive to Gatwick airport). The 10th of November is a day after RMT strike day. So it may be some problems especially in the morning.

Of all weeks! :angry:

Well, good to know in advance, I guess. Thanks, Anna!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Oh no.. There’s a strike in Paris as well on the 10th, so it’ll be an adventure to get to the train station, but at least I hoped to get rid of it by going away.. well… 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Thanks. I just hope it's not as bad as in Paris in December 2019, where ALL the lines were closed, metro, trains, and even buses. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Of all weeks! :angry:

Well, good to know in advance, I guess. Thanks, Anna!

1 hour ago, virgi said:

Oh no.. There’s a strike in Paris as well on the 10th, so it’ll be an adventure to get to the train station, but at least I hoped to get rid of it by going away.. well… 🤦🏻‍♀️

44 minutes ago, mellody said:

Thanks. I just hope it's not as bad as in Paris in December 2019, where ALL the lines were closed, metro, trains, and even buses. 🙄

I thought that the pandemic made us unhappy because we couldn't travel.

But now there are other factors that are pain in the xxxx. 

Cancelled/delayed flights, strikes, shortage in the service staff, tickets and hotel prices very high....

Depending on the day you will travel it can be a obstacle.

I was supposed to travel on the 9th of November. But the winter timetable cancelled flights on Wednesdays. Now it looks ok because of the train services strikes on the 9th.

So for the trains on Thursday there is a hope I will not have problem in the afternoon.

But today I've learned about the Underground strikes as well. Hard to say how hard it will be. I have a hotel close to Gloucester Road so it make something like 6 stops from the Southbank Center.

If the metro doesn't work I am preparing myself for taking UBER. I will not have too much time after the check-in to my hotel.

We have to be in the venue at 6:15 pm.

So good timing is something I will pray for :pray:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, silver said:

National Express run coaches from Gatwick to London Victoria Coach Station but you need to book in advance.  And Anna says it's a long journey.

This is an example I found in the internet. 3 hours from Gatwick to Victoria!

I will try to take a Gatwick Express train (I hope they will run in the afternoon). It takes 35 minutes.

image.thumb.png.f3e362d75c1cc9e2362e7b4508a77eed.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I will try to take a Gatwick Express train (I hope they will run in the afternoon). It takes 35 minutes.

I am flying on Stansted and they specifically state on the website that they do not advise to take it on the day of the strike.. but I guess you are traveling in on the 10th? Normal service should resume, just a little later on the day. Let’s cross fingers! 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I am flying on Stansted and they specifically state on the website that they do not advise to take it on the day of the strike.. but I guess you are traveling in on the 10th? Normal service should resume, just a little later on the day. Let’s cross fingers! 

Yes, I am traveling on the 10th. So I hope I will get to Victoria with no problem. But the Underground it's another story. Anyway I will know what is going on on Thursday morning to have time to prepare my plan B to be on time in the venue.

I have to go to the hotel first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I thought that the pandemic made us unhappy because we couldn't travel.

But now there are other factors that are pain in the xxxx. 

Cancelled/delayed flights, strikes, shortage in the service staff, tickets and hotel prices very high....

Depending on the day you will travel it can be a obstacle.

I was supposed to travel on the 9th of November. But the winter timetable cancelled flights on Wednesdays. Now it looks ok because of the train services strikes on the 9th.

So for the trains on Thursday there is a hope I will not have problem in the afternoon.

But today I've learned about the Underground strikes as well. Hard to say how hard it will be. I have a hotel close to Gloucester Road so it make something like 6 stops from the Southbank Center.

If the metro doesn't work I am preparing myself for taking UBER. I will not have too much time after the check-in to my hotel.

We have to be in the venue at 6:15 pm.

So good timing is something I will pray for :pray:

Good that trains and tube aren't on strike the same day, so if the Piccadilly line from Heathrow is closed, I can still take the Heathrow Express. Just might take longer to get to Waterloo once I'm in London, so I hope my flight is on time! I'll only arrive a few hours before the show. Luckily my hotel is in walking distance from the venue and I decided to not go back to the airport after the show. 😅

• Like 2

Hi

I've been Vern looking back to see if I can see any details of the evening but I can’t see any details. Is it possible for someone just to remind me please of timings and any other info we have? Thank you. 
mum thinking about dress code etc x 

1 hour ago, kath said:

Hi

I've been Vern looking back to see if I can see any details of the evening but I can’t see any details. Is it possible for someone just to remind me please of timings and any other info we have? Thank you. 

We have to be at the entrance no later than 6.15pm that night, that's all the info I have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kath said:

Hi

Deb said on the MFC Zoom earlier that she has asked about more details, like dress code etc., but is still waiting for an answer. Anyway she'll try to send out the e-mails with the ticket confirmations asap, maybe even tonight. So then at least we'll have that. The tickets will probably be assigned, so that queueing isn't necessary, but still waiting for details on how they'll be distributed etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yay!! Got my email! 

Sooo since we’re a little over a week away, why not plan a meet up? We briefly spoke about meeting up after the show, but we all know we would like to wait for Mika. On the other hand, we could also meet up during the day. There is an all-day diner close to the Artist Entrance where we can sit outside and have a drink and/or bite to eat: 

Spiritland Diner
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UPSrar2igJaJgsjN7?g_st=ic

Opens at noon until 10pm

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Yay!! Got my email! 

Sooo since we’re a little over a week away, why not plan a meet up? We briefly spoke about meeting up after the show, but we all know we would like to wait for Mika. On the other hand, we could also meet up during the day. There is an all-day diner close to the Artist Entrance where we can sit outside and have a drink and/or bite to eat: 

Spiritland Diner

Opens at noon until 10pm

There are btw many restaurants by Southbank, from dim sum to burgers to a bakery shop.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, TTel20 said:

oh no I knew for the train strikes but where I live it will be fine on the 10th. I didn't realise the tube would be on strike

Yes, the tube will be out of commission on that Thursday. I think we should all plan on taxis, buses, or Uber for that day.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:41 AM, Prisca said:

We have to be at the entrance no later than 6.15pm that night, that's all the info I have.

That's pretty much all the info I have unfortunately. I'm supposed to find out more on Monday. I was hoping to have it all sorted before I left on Sunday, but there you go...

I do believe, though, that we might be collecting our tickets at the "will call" window when we get there. But even that isn't for certain yet, sorry. Out of my hands. :(

19 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Yay!! Got my email! 

Spiritland Diner

Opens at noon until 10pm

18 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

There are btw many restaurants by Southbank, from dim sum to burgers to a bakery shop.

Yes, there's quite a lot in the area. I think getting together beforehand for a bit makes a little more sense than afterward, since we'll probably want to wait after the show to see if Mika will come out to say hello -- which makes it hard to plan a time for dinner. I think we'll probably just end up winging it afterward.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's a pity that the transport disruption is going to make things difficult for people.  Always worth looking at the Tube stops you were planning to use on a proper street map - a lot of places in London are far closer than the Tube map would make you think.  Plus the whole of the South Bank of the Thames is a lovely place to walk.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, silver said:

It's a pity that the transport disruption is going to make things difficult for people.  Always worth looking at the Tube stops you were planning to use on a proper street map - a lot of places in London are far closer than the Tube map would make you think.  Plus the whole of the South Bank of the Thames is a lovely place to walk.

Yes.

I have changed my hotel to be close to Victoria Station. If the tube doesn't work it's only less than 3 kilometers from the venue.

So I can walk (about 30-40 minutes) or take an UBER (but it can be that to catch a taxi might be pretty difficult).

• Like 2

Buses are running... just saw that the public transport app I'm using already has the strike in their system and suggests alternative routes that day, by buses and trains.

I think I can use my Oyster card on buses, but does anyone know if it's also possible for local trains? If I arrive at Paddington with Heathrow Express, my app sends me to Vauxhall by bus and from there to Waterloo by train. Does anyone know if I can pay with the Oyster card for that last bit between Vauxhall and Waterloo?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mellody said:

Buses are running... just saw that the public transport app I'm using already has the strike in their system and suggests alternative routes that day, by buses and trains.

I think I can use my Oyster card on buses, but does anyone know if it's also possible for local trains? If I arrive at Paddington with Heathrow Express, my app sends me to Vauxhall by bus and from there to Waterloo by train. Does anyone know if I can pay with the Oyster card for that last bit between Vauxhall and Waterloo?

As far as I can tell, you should be fine using the Oyster card between Vauxhall and Waterloo since it's in the Pay as you go zone which can see here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/London_Rail_Tube_map.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1