Mika and Boyzone: how he 'gave it all away'- the Sun

robertina

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting follow-up to all of this -- says the single will be out March 8, on the radio as January 8, so we'll get to hear it soon:

Boyzone upset over new album

Boyzone's Mikey Graham has revealed that the band became emotional in studio recently while recording their new album, when they heard former bandmate Stephen Gately's voice.

According to The Star, the band were working on a track called 'I Gave it all Away', written by Mika, on which Gately had recorded lead vocals.

Writing on his Twitter page, Graham said: "The new song is amazing. Stephen does one of the best vocals ever on it. We really struggled though when we heard his voice again."

Advertisement

He added: "I love this album so much. All going well it should be out March 8. The single is released one week beforehand but radio should be playing it by January 8 or so."

Ronan Keating confirmed that the album will include a trio of tracks featuring Gately's voice: "Stephen is on three of the songds we'd already recorded. It's a wonderful record; it's the best I heard him sing.

"I think people are going to be quite excited about it. It's going to be big, please God, for Steo."

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/1209/boyzone.html

Interesting follow-up to all of this -- says the single will be out March 8, on the radio as January 8, so we'll get to hear it soon:

Boyzone upset over new album

Boyzone's Mikey Graham has revealed that the band became emotional in studio recently while recording their new album, when they heard former bandmate Stephen Gately's voice.

According to The Star, the band were working on a track called 'I Gave it all Away', written by Mika, on which Gately had recorded lead vocals.

Writing on his Twitter page, Graham said: "The new song is amazing. Stephen does one of the best vocals ever on it. We really struggled though when we heard his voice again."

Advertisement

He added: "I love this album so much. All going well it should be out March 8. The single is released one week beforehand but radio should be playing it by January 8 or so."

Ronan Keating confirmed that the album will include a trio of tracks featuring Gately's voice: "Stephen is on three of the songds we'd already recorded. It's a wonderful record; it's the best I heard him sing.

"I think people are going to be quite excited about it. It's going to be big, please God, for Steo."

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/1209/boyzone.html

Thank you Deb! Nice to hear that the newspaper's are always crediting Mika, should be a good bit of publicity.

Thank you Deb! Nice to hear that the newspaper's are always crediting Mika, should be a good bit of publicity.

Yes, everyone is learning that Mika wrote the song, and he's getting the writing credits. I don't want to take anything away from Stephen Gately. I'm sure he did a brilliant recording. But I am so happy for Mika, especially after the injustice that has happened with Rain in the UK.

Hopefully, this song will be a fitting tribute to Stephen, and also great for Mika's career!

Yes, everyone is learning that Mika wrote the song, and he's getting the writing credits. I don't want to take anything away from Stephen Gately. I'm sure he did a brilliant recording. But I am so happy for Mika, especially after the injustice that has happened with Rain in the UK.

Hopefully, this song will be a fitting tribute to Stephen, and also great for Mika's career!

Ronan Keating was on This Morning on ITV1, talking about Stephen's death and the song Mika wrote. He talked about BZ meeting Mika in LA (at the hotel unexpectedly as was reported) and that they all had a chat and then BZ went to Mika's gig! Ronan was so sweet! I don't know if anyone has a link to the interview. If not. I'll look for one later.

Ronan Keating was on This Morning on ITV1, talking about Stephen's death and the song Mika wrote. He talked about BZ meeting Mika in LA (at the hotel unexpectedly as was reported) and that they all had a chat and then BZ went to Mika's gig! Ronan was so sweet! I don't know if anyone has a link to the interview. If not. I'll look for one later.

Thank you for the update, Marilyn.:thumb_yello:

I am pretty sure some Boyzone fans have managed to record the interview so it should appear on YT soon...:wink2:

and in less than a month the song will also be revealead.... (and I am not sure what smiley to choose for the last sentence...:blink::insane::biggrin2:)

He talked about BZ meeting Mika in LA (at the hotel unexpectedly as was reported) and that they all had a chat and then BZ went to Mika's gig!

:shocked: I didn't notice them but I wonder if they were in the VIP area. MFC went up there after the gig to wait for Mika and Katy, Perez, Greg, etc. were there. There were a couple of MFCers in the VIP area during the gig as well.

and in less than a month the song will also be revealead.... (and I am not sure what smiley to choose for the last sentence...:blink::insane::biggrin2:)

Unbelievable isn't it? I never thought this would happen. Nice that it's being released and not just leaked on the internet.

Thank you for the update, Marilyn.:thumb_yello:

I am pretty sure some Boyzone fans have managed to record the interview so it should appear on YT soon...:wink2:

Yes it should be, I have no idea how to upload stuff to Youtube. I only found out RK was going to be on This Morning, about 1 minute before he actually was, so I didn't have time to record it anyway! But it really was a wonderful interview. Sad as well, because Ronan has lost his friend so suddenly.

I can't wait to hear the new song!!!!!!!

Yes, everyone is learning that Mika wrote the song, and he's getting the writing credits. I don't want to take anything away from Stephen Gately. I'm sure he did a brilliant recording. But I am so happy for Mika, especially after the injustice that has happened with Rain in the UK.Hopefully, this song will be a fitting tribute to Stephen, and also great for Mika's career!

what happened to him??

what happened to him??

Rain wasn't a hit in the UK ... I don't really know why ... went in at No 72 ... then out of the charts completely the next week .... :( I don't understand the british public :aah:

I thought most people had read about it

what happened to him??

Not to Mika, but Rain hasn't even made the top 40 in the UK. It was taken off the Radio One playlist before it was even released, and a few mags gave it terrible reviews, while Heat Magazine didn't even mention the song in their top ten singles to download, even when it was first released.

So in my view, this is very unjust, and I really want his song for Boyzone to be a massive number one hit!

I also can't understand why some fans don't seem to like the song and think it's cheesy! It's a MIKA SONG!!! In my view, that means it will be great! I can't wait to hear it!

Ronan Keating's vintage gig

NATHAN DAVIES

December 12, 2009 11:30pm

Ronan Keating will bounce back following the death of Boyzone bandmate Stephen Gately with a solo Down Under tour next month, says NATHAN DAVIES

RONAN Keating can't listen to Little Drummer Boy, the song he recorded with his late friend and bandmate Stephen Gately.

The track, which appears on Keating's new Christmas album Stay, and features Gately on angelic backing vocals, still reduces the Irish singer to tears.

Gately, 33, died from a pulmonary oedema on October 10, devastating Keating and the other three members of Boyzone, who reformed in 2007.

Keating, in Amsterdam for a promotional tour, says hearing just parts of Little Drummer Boy is a painful experience.

"I listened to it just after 'Steo' passed and I got very emotional," he says.

"And I was on a TV show in Holland yesterday and they played a snippet from the song on the show and I got overwhelmed and found it very hard.

"I'm sure there will be a time when I can listen to it again."

Keating says the remaining member of Boyzone - Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch - have closed ranks and pulled together in an effort to deal with the grief of Gately's death.

"I guess we all have our own way of dealing with it," he says.

"We're rallying around each other and spending as much time as we can as a group, and that's really helping us.

"Everybody deals with things in their own way and you have your good days and your bad days, your ups and downs.

"I mean, it messes with your head - I don't think any of us have come to terms with his passing and we're just trying to take it day to day."

The group was in the middle of recording its second album since its 2007 comeback record Back Again No Matter What when Gately died.

Keating is adamant the as yet untitled album will be released on March 8 next year, with Gately featuring on at least three tracks.

Last week the group shot the film clip for I Gave It All Away, the first single from the album, written by British hit-maker Mika.

Mika refused to allow Boyzone to record the song in 2007, claiming the group was "too cheesy" to do the song justice, but has since changed his mind."I found the video shoot on Tuesday very hard," Keating says.

We were listening to Steo's voice and seeing his image on the screens. It was a very emotional day for the four of us. We stuck together and tried to get through it the best we could."

Keating says that Boyzone would love to tour in support of the new album, but he was unsure whether it would happen."We don't know what it's going to be like as a four-piece," he says.

"We haven't performed since Steo passed and I'm sure it's going to be very difficult when we do.

"Shooting a video or doing interviews, that's fine, you can do that.

"But actually going out doing a performance is a very different thing."

One performance that's not in doubt, however, is the one scheduled for January 30 at Leconfield Winery in McLaren Vale. Keating, a "big fan of red wine" says he was looking forward to returning to Australia for the A Day On The Green concerts, even hiring a string quartet especially for the occasion.

"It's kind of like an evening out with picnics and bottles of wine, isn't it?" he asks. "I'm really looking forward to it, I think it's going to be really pretty.

"I've always just had a great rapport with people in Australia, I don't know what it is.

"They get me, you know? I always feel very welcome when I'm there."

Keating says his set will include a number of songs from Stay, as well as hits like When You Say Nothing At All. He's also keen to reunite with Australian singer Tina Arena, who he first met when he was a young up-and-coming pop star and Arena was launching her career in Europe.

"Oh yeah, I've known Tina for years," he says. "She was out promoting Chains when we were promoting Love Me For A Reason, back in the day, you know?

"She's an amazing lady with a great voice and I'm really looking forward to working with her."

Stay, which was released as Winter Songs in the northern hemisphere, came out last month and caps-off a busy year for Keating, with hit record Songs For My Mother released in March.

"It's been amazing - two albums in one year," he says. "I've never done anything like that in my life."

The album, which features songs by Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, is more than a Christmas album, Keating says.

"It's a festive record I guess. It's not just Christmas songs - there's songs like Homeward Bound and Caledonia that are almost homecoming songs.

"At this time of year a lot of people are travelling around the world to get home to their loved ones, so that's what these songs are all about."

Ronan Keating plays A Day On The Green with Tina Arena at Leconfield Winery, McLaren Vale, on January 30. Bookings: Ticketmaster. Stay is out now.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26476275-16601,00.html

hmm, yesterday i've read an article where they said mika took the song back because he wanted to use it himself, and in this article it says because he thought it was too cheesy in boyzones version.

hmm, is that again mika confusing ppl by saying different things in different interviews? :naughty: maybe he just had a feeling that he didn't want them to publish the song, for no real reason, and now he makes up different reasons, so in the end no one will know what to believe anymore anyway. :bleh:

I think the "cheesy" comment was never an official statement by Mika, but some "insider" claim that was picked up by all the tabloids. I can't imagine Mika would ever make a public statement like that, especially now that they are going to release the song. I'm sure he's going to stand by the song and Boyzone's version of it 100% at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember having read that "I gave it all away" would be played on the radio in January. Does someone remember when?

I seem to be very impatient for new Mika music. :blush-anim-cl:

I don't remember, but being a Boyzone track I'm sure it will get pretty heavy airplay. I suspect it will be very hard to miss. :original:

I remember having read that "I gave it all away" would be played on the radio in January. Does someone remember when?

I seem to be very impatient for new Mika music. :blush-anim-cl:

The single is released one week beforehand but radio should be playing it by January 8 or so."

I remember that!! also found that article

not released in UK yet????

can't wait.......:teehee:

I think the "cheesy" comment was never an official statement by Mika, but some "insider" claim that was picked up by all the tabloids. I can't imagine Mika would ever make a public statement like that, especially now that they are going to release the song. I'm sure he's going to stand by the song and Boyzone's version of it 100% at this point.

I agree with you. I don't think he would actually have said that. I haven't heard it yet, but I actually don't listen to the radio that much as when I'm not on here, I have lots of stuff to do, but I'm eager to hear the song.

When will it actually be released?

I hope it gets to number one!

And I think Ronan has been a sweetheart about the whole thing. He's made sure everyone knows Mika wrote the song, so Mika will get the credit for writing it. I wish Mika and the boys the best of luck with the song, which I'm sure will be awesome.

Stephen Gately RIP