Lovebox - London, UK - June 17, 2012 : REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

guylainem123

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is she the same singer?

no, I don't think she has ever performed with Mika before.

I quite like the way MYH shapes up live. Especially the live use of the vocoder. I'd love to hear Mika layer his own voice live using technology if possible and I guess this is a simplified version of that. I hope he goes further with it.

At the moment both new songs were the replication of the recorded versions and I agree he'd need to get away from that a bit. They were markedly different from his other songs but that should change with time when he figures out how they work best live.

is she the same singer?

btw....a holy bow to the video :bow:

No I am pretty sure it's not the same person.

Great to see that vid again though! Thank you.

Seems like a lifetime ago!

Thank you so much for ur amazing pics and reports! :huglove: and also videos but now internet's connection is so weak here so i have to wait for loading :sneaky2:

this gig was so short and i really needed to hear a new song but it seems we still have to wait. i'm so happy you guys saw Mika again!:wub2: but after all,i missed the old band! :tears:

Thanks so much for your pics reports and vids, you did a great job :huglove: it's like we were there :wub2: I have to say that MYH and Celebrate live are AMAZING!!! :wub2: Love his look, his voice, love EVERYTHING :mikalove:

Thanks to eveyone! :flowers2:

That was just amazing.

We spent what felt like years attempting to rave to DJs, and now my shoulders hurt. :mf_rosetinted:

I don't want to read this thread in detail because it's making me a bit sad. :tears:

SO.

Eloise and I ambled along to the festival well after the gates had opened, stopping for a donut and paint facing. (:mf_rosetinted:) We made our way to the stage to find a row of MFCers along the barrier, and joined second row centre. (We got asked for our photo many times. I would like to see the results of these :aah:).

Got a bit bored as the acts were doing soundcheck so whipped out our Mika masks. :mikacool:

Did some dancing for an hour or so, but the stage wasn't at all crowded so Lizzie, Eloise and I went wandering around and wrote some Mika references on the big signing board thingy.

Eloise ate nachos.

We returned to our places when it started to get crowded. Have to say, the Lovebox crowd is pretty cool. :naughty: And seeing Jodie Harsh in real life is awfully cool.

We saw the band and the Penniman's feet coming up onto the stage from behind and got very very excited. I may have over-reacted to Paloma and Yasmine (?) looking out at the crowd (FUUDGE, I'M LOOKING AT MIKA'S FAMILY. AND HIS MUUUM! OH MY GAAAWD. AND THEY'RE TAKING PICTURES OF ME!!).

Eventually, after a ridiculously long set by the act before, the band and Mika strolled on out. Didn't recognise Relax at first, but the standard aaAaaaaaAAAAAaaaahhh ahh got us all dancing. :teehee:

The clarinet part I liked, but seemed a bit random, like his guitarist also played wind instruments and he thought 'what the heck, let him do that too'. The saxaphone was onstage too but I didn't see it being used.

It was so crazy to see him right in front of us. Doing the dance moves. Smiling. :hypo:

It's like he only existed in my head in photos and videos, then he's right there. :wub2:

(and wearing grey undies, by the way.)

His straight hair was perfect, no complaints from me, even though I thought I preferred curls. He looked gorgeous. :biggrin2:

Make You Happy was amazing. He smiled at us when he saw our 'OK' sign in Celebrate. *goes on mission to find video and freeze frame the eye-contact moment*

It all finished way too quickly, but it was worth every second.

The meeting afterwards was a bit of a shambles, as all those there just piled into the gates. There was a lot of pushing. He only had time to talk to those at the front and get a couple of pics, then went off the another side and had a quick quick talk with a couple of fans, before whizzing of on the back of his golf buggy.

Photos to follow!

(Wow such a long report for such a short gig. Don't blame me, it's the first one I've done, and I'm excitable. :tears:)

Thanks everyone who attended for your reports and new pics ! :thumb_yello:

So many new impressions by now....

Mika can be predictable in his interviews or whenever he speaks, but unpredictable when singing. I don`t know how he does that - but MYH is much more interesting live.

The energy of live performance made these songs as desirable as they should be. :blush-anim-cl:

Enigma ( sorry we didn't meet btw - I never saw you at all) I basically went VIP for the toilets and they were definitely a million times better. However, I am not sure that they were £50 worth better and other than seats we didn't get an awful lot more! Having said that I did get a free make up session!

Yes, sorry not to have seen you! I am getting so laid back in my old age, I couldn't be arsed to stand near the stage till Mika was on and I left straight after he finished. And because I was there such a short amount of time I didn't need to visit a toilet of any kind :biggrin2:

Thank you everyone for the lovely reviews and photos and VIDEOS. I actually like MYH better than Celebrate live (even though it's the opposite for the album versions). I liked the 2 microphones, even though I hoped he would get rid of the electronic voice live, but it was good! He looks amazing and it's nice to see that the dance moves never change :teehee:

I can't wait for Vigevano now, I'm so excited! *___*

I was extremely sceptic about how he'd handle the new songs live. But he's back alright. And it's still Mika. Different. But he hasn't lost his amazing voice and the lyrics of MYH are just beautiful. I can live with the little bits of electronic voices. He's back :biggrin2::wub2:

thanks for the videos :thumb_yello:

I certainly liked Make you happy, while I find Celebrate a bit out of tune and...cheap.

but we know, we have to get a live experience ourselves to judge better :wink2:

This is so true. When I comment on live versions I usually refer to two things. Firstly, how I personally compare the recorded version vs live version. And when listening to only recorded versions I loved MYH much more than Celebrate. I just think it's a better song. But when I heard them live I actually liked Celebrate more. This time it could be because the sound was bothering during MYH. I simply couldn't hear Mika's voice (I can hear his voice better even listening to the video I filmed). So I really want to hear MYH live again before saying more.

Secondly, I try to observe the big audience (meaning not core fans), it's always interesting to see how it reacts. And it looked Celebrate worked really well. It is more commercial and not good as a song as MYH, but it's easy to festival audiences and seemed to make people in a good mood. At least that's how it felt to me. I really enjoyed it as well.

Edited by tiibet

OK, a brief summary of Lovebox, bearing in mind this is my own opinion only...

[...]

Old familiars were Relax, Blame It On The Girls, Love Today, Lollipop (new stylee), and Grace Kelly. Did the new songs MYH and Celebrate. Sounded better live than the studio versions, but I still think Celebrate comes across as a very, very average song. It went down pretty well with the crowd, but in my book, popular doesn’t necessarily mean good. My yardstick is: if someone else released it, would I listen to it, or think it was great, or buy it, and the answer is no. There’s simply nothing to it – disposable forgettable pop, and Mika is capable of far better.

MYH – well that was better, because live it sounds less electronic, but it still doesn’t grab me. I have no objection to an artist evolving or changing (all artists MUST evolve and experiment) but so far I find Mika’s new material a step backwards, not forwards. He was the one TRULY original artist to emerge in the last decade, and it feels like he’s conformed, dumbed down now, dare I say it – been influenced by other people too much? It’s brave for an artist to change direction, but perhaps even braver to stick to ones principles and fly in the face of what’s fashionable. In the threads about the new music, there are loads of comments about the two tracks – saying “I think it sounds a bit like X” or “it reminds me of Y”. Well I (and probably a lot of others) liked Mika because he sounded DIFFERENT to anyone else, and that spark, that uniqueness, seems to have been diminished. If I want to hear something that sounds like Daft Punk or Robyn or any of the other people who have been mentioned, I’ll listen to one of THEIR albums. I only hope I’ll hear something truly original on the TOOL album which fully utilises all the talent Mika has.

I guess today wasn’t really a “normal” gig, and I’ll wait for a proper non-festival set before I abandon hope! The love has not completely gone, and of course I’ll be getting the album and going to shows, but looking at it purely objectively, I do feel it just doesn’t have the magic for me that it used to have.

[...]

Even though I wasn't at the gig, I especially agree with the bold parts. I saw the two videos and my reaction was: plain... Let's wait and see; I shall wait for the release of TOOL and other gig reports... ^^

Thank you everyone for the photos, the videos and the reports which I enjoyed reading :thumb_yello:

I'm sure he remembers it :fisch: If "soon" means 11 months, then I wouldn't be surprised if "a very long time" means something like a few days. It all makes sense in Mikaworld :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

and before he went in the car he came to us as well. he told me that he liked my shirt and that he had seen it from stage... and he took my hand. twice. i don't know why i stuck my hand through the barrier when he said hi, probably just out of habit because you shake hands with ppl you say hi to... lol! his hands were so soft and warm! :fangurl: (sorry, big fangurl moment here, don't ask me why, guess i haven't seen him for too long. :teehee:)

I understand that you had fangurl moment, I've would have died :teehee:

Do you have a picture of your shirt, I would love to see it :wink2:

This is so true. When I comment on live versions I usually refer to two things. Firstly, how I personally compare the recorded version vs live version. And when listening to only recorded versions I loved MYH much more than Celebrate. I just think it's a better song. But when I heard them live I actually liked Celebrate more. This time it could be because the sound was bothering during MYH. I simply couldn't hear Mika's voice (I can hear his voice better even listening to the video I filmed). So I really want to hear MYH live again before saying more.

Secondly, I try to observe the big audience (meaning not core fans), it's always interesting to see how it reacts. And it looked Celebrate worked really well. It is more commercial and not good as a song as MYH, but it's easy to festival audiences and seemed to make people in a good mood. At least that's how it felt to me. I really enjoyed it as well.

I think MYH is very difficult to perform live,I can't see anyone,apart from him,doing it.I mean,you really need vocals for that.Celebrate is much better live than the recorded version and more catchy for the crowd,but MYH has that little mikaish spark.And I have to admit,I love that part when he is singing on both microphones :wub2: Like many others,I was very skeptical about all this new sound,but now I feel relieved and looking forward for the next gigs,especially when I'll see it with my own eyes.

I forgot,thanks for your blog! :flowers2:

Edited by krysady

Finally finished reading all the comments here! Thank you all for sharing piccies, vids, and stories! Loved reading/seeing them!

And now I'm left with just one feeling: sooooooo looking forward to seeing Mika again in Belgium! Can't wait, counting the days!

He looks gorgeous! Love him in this casual outfit and the good old shoes :wub2: Thanks for all the pics, reports and vids (can't wait to watch them later!) :thumb_yello: