MIKA to be Judge on XFactor 7 #XF7 Italia 2013

dcdeb

Here I am again, just to explain more clearly something that might have not been clear in my previous posts.

When I say that XF Italia is different, I'm certainly not talking about “ethics” or morality, and neither is Mika. If I want to look for something ethically good I'd go to church, not watch a tv musical show. So the only things I can focus on, in order to judge a talent show, are both the entertaining and the musical aspect. And that's where XF Italia differs from the American or the English one (btw, I'm not talking without knowing, I've watched the whole last season of XF America, the one with Cowell and Britney Spears.)

Let's make something clear: as I've said before, I do not share the talent-show mentality, simply because I don't like the idea of music as a competition. And on XF America every single singer's concern was not to provide interesting performances, but getting on top of the XF week chart, and their aim was to WIN, and “make it”, meaning having success. For them success is getting #1 on the charts, for me, success is being proud of what you do, regardless of what people think. In Italy a lot of past contestants were indipendent musicians and bands: after XF they certainly didn't become “famous” (which is the only thing that for Cowell has value), but through their partecipation they managed to gain visibility and this gave them the opportunity to keep on working on music as a living.

That's the difference: I remember the XF 3 Italia final: there was a very good contestant, Marco Mengoni (who will join Mika as a judge for the HomeVisit in Dublin), who had gone through a very interesting musical path during the whole programme. And when I say interesting I mean that he sang songs by forgotten Italian songwriters, by David Bowie, by Nina Simone, by The Talking Heads, Prince, Duran Duran, AC/DC.

On the final Morgan (his judge), him, and the vocal couch, decided to take a risk and let him sing a completely unknown, weird, certainly not catchy song by Morgan (“Amore assurdo”), in order to provide “an interesting performace that will close this circle”, and -his words- “who cares if I win or not, I'm happy to sing this song, it means something to me”. And of course he won, because people realized that he had done something worthwhile, something he could have been proud of. And if he hadn't won, that would still be a “successful” performance for me, because it meant something.

That is the spirit of the show, not -as in XF America- to show off their technical abilities. Of course American contestants are generally better singers than Italian ones: first of all, you know, America is a little bit bigger than Italy; then they have much more beautiful voices and impressive singing skills, but -honestly- I have always put originality before perfection, simply because I think perfection is boring. And when I hear an American contestant say “I want to win XF and become famous”, well, that's something that bothers me, because an artist's popularity should be a means for getting people to know his music, not his final goal.

And talking about differences, as Mika said the difference relies on the judges' intelligence and honest passion for music. Honestly I don't think Cowell or Britney Spears have ever quoted Dante, or made a lesson to the contestants about Nina Simone, or worked on the musical arrangements themselves, or stimulated the contestants to get to know, and give value again through their performances, to old forgotten artists' songs. And that happens during the live shows, not during the auditions, so you can't judge it by now.

About the auditions: I remember some XF America judgements: “I think you can make it/I think you can sell thousands of copies/I think you're terrible/I think you should stop singing”. Where's the critical and clever aspect in that? Mika and the others always motivated their choices in a clever, thoughtful and appropriate way, even with the “willy” girls (the vid on the youtube is not complete btw). And Mika's judgements have always been thoughtful, respectful, witty and smart, believe me.

My main point is: it is certainly a show, it is entertainment, so it has by nature a certain amount of “fakeness”, especially, as someone pointed out, in the final editing, but, while – I agree- in America everything is for the sake of the show, and you can talk about exploitation of the contestants, here you can't. The contestants are often means to provide something musically interesting on tv. So as long as the show, the competition, is an excuse to provide sometimes something original, worthwhile, to bring beautiful songs and artists who are not so known to a wider audience, for me it is a good thing. And let's not forget that these people are given the possibility to sing in front of a whole country: Mika himself, in a 2009 Italian interview, said that everyone who had the possibility of partecipating a talent show should grab it.

I mean, do you honestly think that getting success through a music label is more “meritocratic”? I do not think so. Maybe it was, 40 years ago, but times have (unfortunately) changed now. At least you have to be at least a good singer to enter a talent show, and you don't have to lick hammers to be successful. I know, It's quite unlikely to find the new Leonard Cohen in an XF programme, but by watching people perform beautiful songs I can enjoy a performance or critically dislike it, and I anyway expand my music culture, and that's good for me, and who knows? Maybe among good singers and interpreters there can be even someone who might be a true artist, who knows! Let's give them a chance.

The show gives them an opportunity to gain visibility and to express themselves through music: once they are out it's the contestants' choice and responsability, not the show's. You can stick to the talent label and remain mediocre, or take risks and become something unique and good. As I said a lot of ex Italian contestants are not “successful” in the Cowell meaning, but they keep on doing music on a higher level.

So, if you can't bear the amount of “show” in it, that's ok, I undestand, you don't have to watch it. Just do not judge things generalizing. I don't like that aspect either, but I laugh at it and ridiculise it while I'm watching, and I only focus on the things I honestly think have a real value- even in that context- and that I therefore like and that I know can not only entertain me, but also critically stimulate me as both a tv watcher and a music listener. As Mika said in an interview, it is basically a matter of combining the impurity of television with the purity of music.

So I'll watch it, with the awareness that I'm watching a tv show, with everything negative that goes with it, but also something that I find interesting and original, both for the musical aspect and the judges' diverse points of view, especially Mika's.

That's all, thank you to those who had the patience to read everything! :)

Let's stop pretending this show is any more special than it really is. It hasn't really got anything to do with music, just entertainment. It would be different if the contestants wouldhave to make their own music, but as it isn't, let's not put this on a pedestal. If it REALLY was about music, they wouldn't have let bad contestants te pre-auditions.hrough in th

I was quite chocked when I heard the audience whistle about this "queen" girl, can someone explain exactly what happened? All I know is that Mika said the crown was great, which is not surprising from him :wink2:

i also didn't fully get that, thought she said she was a real princess and this came across as "i'm superior" to the crowd, but i could be totally wrong with that. :dunno: all i got was that the female judge gave her a no because she said it's important that she can get the crowd to like her, which obviously wasn't the case. think they also told her that she has good potential and should try again in the next xf episode. i'm curious about how much of my italian interpretations are correct, so i'm also looking forward to hear from someone who actually speaks italian, what this was about. :teehee:

i also didn't fully get that, thought she said she was a real princess and this came across as "i'm superior" to the crowd, but i could be totally wrong with that. :dunno: all i got was that the female judge gave her a no because she said it's important that she can get the crowd to like her, which obviously wasn't the case. think they also told her that she has good potential and should try again in the next xf episode. i'm curious about how much of my italian interpretations are correct, so i'm also looking forward to hear from someone who actually speaks italian, what this was about. :teehee:

She behaved in a pretty arrogant way, she was like "I'm a professional singer, I perform onstage more often than I hang out with my friends, the stage is my real home..." , she chose a song by Chiara, last winner of Xfactor, she was too confident she would have been chosen. She wasn't a bad singer but nothing special, so the judges told her to come back next year with an humbler attitude...

Somehow the question is: Is a casting show [XF Italy in detail] necessarily a bad thing or can it be a good thing for artists as well?

There are some convincing points for both sides in the whole dicussion.

Well, I'll have to wait till the end of the show to make up my mind about that.

Somehow the question is: Is a casting show [XF Italy in detail] necessarily a bad thing or can it be a good thing for artists as well?

There are some convincing points for both sides in the whole dicussion.

Well, I'll have to wait till the end of the show to make up my mind about that.

Same here ... ;)

I'll watch The Voice because it's something I was already watching the previous years without Mika taking part, but I can't get around watching anything from X Factor. I had some 'Mika time' this afternoon and I decided to go to YT and watch performances from gigs I've been to instead. Not motivated to watch XF especially after reading about this 'willy' sequence.

I'll watch The Voice because it's something I was already watching the previous years without Mika taking part, but I can't get around watching anything from X Factor. I had some 'Mika time' this afternoon and I decided to go to YT and watch performances from gigs I've been to instead. Not motivated to watch XF especially after reading about this 'willy' sequence.

But the willy incident is totally not representative of the whole show:wink2:

I never take it for good someone else's opinion,I prefer to use my own mind and make a judgement,after I'm studying the topic by myself. I do that for songs,books,movies,shows,people,everything. But of course,this is just my opinion :dunno:

I never take it for good someone else's opinion,I prefer to use my own mind and make a judgement,after I'm studying the topic by myself. I do that for songs,books,movies,shows,people,everything. But of course,this is just my opinion :dunno:

I'm not interested in XF in the first place, and let's say this has put me off it even more.. But I may change my mind and decide to have a look (I would have to be really bored though)

If he was drunk, then that would be very unprofessional of him, and I would hope he wouldn't do that when he is going on a tv show!

Someone else had mentioned that. I didn't think he would be drunk, that's why I said, "possibly". But I wasn't the one who brought it up. I hadn't even thought he would drink when he's judging.

I had thought he might be nervous.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I never take it for good someone else's opinion,I prefer to use my own mind and make a judgement,after I'm studying the topic by myself.

I'm not interested in XF in the first place, and let's say this has put me off it even more..

Well that's it exactly. I already know I don't want to watch X Factor because I dislike the whole concept so all these comments about how amazing it is and how professional and witty Mika is are not going to influence my opinion or make it worthwhile to watch for me because I use my own judgement. It's great that it appeals to the Italians but I am not Italian so I am not going to view it the same way.

Anyone with any real talent as a pop singer is going to make it on the charts one day so I will listen to them then if it suits my tastes. I don't see the point in sitting through hours and hours of mediocrity or bad Spice Girls impersonations in the meantime.

I'm not interested in XF in the first place, and let's say this has put me off it even more.. But I may change my mind and decide to have a look (I would have to be really bored though)

I understand,I'm not interested either,I just did for me,to be able to make an opinion.I barely watch The Voice,and only if I'm bored :wink2:

I understand,I'm not interested either,I just did for me,to be able to make an opinion.I barely watch The Voice,and only if I'm bored :wink2:

Isn't the fact that you are not interested enough of an opinion to decide not to watch it? :blink: Who has the time or energy to watch all the TV shows they have no interest in? :dunno:

Isn't the fact that you are not interested enough of an opinion to decide not to watch it? :blink: Who has the time or energy to watch all the TV shows they have no interest in? :dunno:

No,it's exactly the opposite for me! I can't judge one specific show from a specific country after a general opinion about the XF concept,and say that all are the same :dunno: And it lasted 45',not such a big deal.

No,it's exactly the opposite for me! I can't judge one specific show from a specific country after a general opinion about the XF concept,and say that all are the same :dunno: And it lasted 45',not such a big deal.

But why do you feel the need to judge this show if you're not interested? Just because Mika is in it?

But why do you feel the need to judge this show if you're not interested? Just because Mika is in it?

I know,I'm shallow,but yes.........after all this drama around here,I wanted to see if I'll be disappointed,or not.

I know,I'm shallow,but yes.........after all this drama around here,I wanted to see if I'll be disappointed,or not.

Well I appreciate your honesty. I think there would be a lot less drama if everyone was upfront about their motivations and could accept that other people do not have the same motivations. Mika is spending 95% of his waking hours doing things that I have no knowledge of or interest in. This happens to be one of them.

I used to be very interested in everything that Mika was doing. I would have wanted to know what he was having for breakfast this morning for example. But now I don't. So there's really no need for me to get into long debates about whether X Factor is a brilliant show or not. It makes no difference to me and I suspect it makes no difference to most of the people outside Italy who are arguing about it because the truth is they are not watching it because they think it's a quality show.

So I will go back to not watching this show and everyone who watches it can continue enjoying it. Ciao for now. :bye: