Mika in French Press - 2014

BiaIchihara

You're kind, Marilyn. Don't worry, those are no homeworks, I enjoy translating but I do it only if I feel like to do it.

Like I did this morning, here it is: (I didn't even check for mistakes, though. Bad bad scholar of me :teehee:)

Mika: I try to overstate my differences

You litterally enlight the show. Are you a terrestrial as other people or do you have a double parked flying saucer?

Mika: (chuckles) I'm a very regular terrestrial. Even too much. Well, you charmed me: let's leave together for the Seychelles.

Do you remember your very first contact with the other coaches?

Mika: One day in Milan I saw Jenifer or the tv. I took a pic of the screen and I sent her this message “I'm watching you, looking forward to meet you.” She didn't like the pic and didn't react. Then I texted Garou and Pagny in english. The first one did reply, super cool, but Florent didn't. That was a good start.... In the matter of fact, I found out later that he didn't understand english.

Everybody talks about you in The Voice. Have you always capture the attention like that?

Mika: When I was young I already did it, but that wasn't much positive. I'm not going to lie: it was completely hostile.

How did you turn this hostility in admiration?

Mika: I tried to overstate my differences. “What people reproach to you, improve it, it's you” . This is a Jean Cocteau quote which Jacquel Brel said more than once. I really believe it.

Who did push you to put it into practice?

My family. The mutation art, all immingrants like us have it in their DNA. My grandfather left Lebanon taking all what he owned on a donkey to go to USA. He made his fortune but then, when he was an old man, je lost everything. Changing events, bouncing back, is in my family's history. Like me, my mother had quite a lot of issues at school. Her and her sisters, I don't know why, were the target of the teases. As she saw that all this was starting again with me, she gave to me the arguments and the confidence to face it.

Why di people look askance at you?

Mika: I don't know. When I was in Paris, in a little school, everythin was fine. Then I came to London and landed in a huge structure where the troubles started. People get mean when they are too many. They don't have time to try and understand each other and this scares them.

Was the music a way to let people understand you?

Mika:Totally. Thanks to it I could tell things to people without having them annoying me. Yhis is the music's magic!

Why haven't you endured in lyrical singing?

Mika: 'Cause there were better voices than mine. About 9 y.o. I dived into classical music in a pretty intense way, like a pro. This training gave my voice to me. Then, during the teenagehood, I lost it. I believed I was loosing my identity as well. So I started to write sonfs. I tried many castings but everywhere I got refused.

Was at that moment that you sign up to the university?

Mika: by constantly doing nothing, I was scared to turn into a simple dreamer. So, at 19 y.o., I entered the London School of Economics. Alots of young people used to dream about it but I wasn't happy. I left the very first day to go to the Royal College of Music. In the parking lot, I waited ofr the singing studies director, a little scottish guy, rounded, funny, with a high-pitched voice. I followed him till his car and I begged him to give me a chance. He told: “ok, I'm giving you one year. “ He knew I wasn't even at the same level than the others, but he sensed something more.

Have you always known that you needed to be just yourself in order to be successful?

Mika: No, but whenever I did mock-ups which were similar to others, it didn't work. Imitation, it's the creation's cancer. Album after album, I free myself to get closer to what I am. Even if that is not perfect, it's always better than somebody elses's copy.

Does an artist necessarily need to make a character up?

Mika: he just needs to develop what he is. My songs are the illustration of what I think. It does work for every artist. Pagny 's last album , for instance, works very good 'cause it's consistent with what he is.

Is that some marketing or artistic creation?

Mika: The good marketing always has to be natural, dictated out of instinct. This is why it is effective.

Are you never impressed by all this success?

Mika: not at all. 'cause I knew as much as falilures. My last album, for instance, didn't hit the sales records. If some titles worked, it's 'cause I fought for it. Take “underwater” case. We struggled before the song turned out to be a succes. It takes off 'cause it was used on a radio ad.

Do you have some antidote against depression?

To keep on having fun like I had no responsability. The other day, with Doriand, we were sitting in a coffee shop and we began to write a song on a paper napkin: a stuff which talks about the sex amid inhabitants of the XVI arrondissement de Paris! We have to know how to stay stupid . It's staying lighthearted that we can realizes beautiful and big things.

What are you going to do when The Voice will end?

Mika: Leaving the tv, stop talking and devote myself to my next album. It's weird since the more the shootings are going on, the more I'm scared. First thing, cause Florent fighs with me and he destabilizes me. But, above all, 'cause I took many risks in picking up my team. I hope I won't regret it.

Edited by Elwendin

You're kind, Marilyn. Don't worry, those are no homeworks, I enjoy translating but I do it only if I feel like to do it.

Like I did this morning, here it is: (I didn't even check for mistakes, though. Bad bad scholar of me :teehee:)

You litterally enlight the show. Are you a terrestrial as other people or do you have a double parked flying saucer?

Mika: (chuckles) I'm a very regular terrestrial. Even too much. Well, you charmed me: let's leave together for the Seychelles.

Mika: One day in Milan I saw Jenifer or the tv. I took a pic of the screen and I sent her this message “I'm watching you, looking forward to meet you.” She didn't like the pic and didn't react. Then I texted Garou and Pagny in english. The first one did reply, super cool, but Florent didn't. That was a good start.... In the matter of fact, I found out later that he didn't understand english.

Everybody talks about you in The Voice. Have you always capture the attention like that?

Mika: When I was young I already did it, but that wasn't much positive. I'm not going to lie: it was completely hostile.

Mika: I tried to overstate my differences. “What people reproach to you, improve it, it's you” . This is a Jean Cocteau quote which Jacquel Brel said more than once. I really believe it.

My family. The mutation art, all immingrants like us have it in their DNA. My grandfather left Lebanon taking all what he owned on a donkey to go to USA. He made his fortune but then, when he was an old man, je lost everything. Changing events, bouncing back, is in my family's history. Like me, my mother had quite a lot of issues at school. Her and her sisters, I don't know why, were the target of the teases. As she saw that all this was starting again with me, she gave to me the arguments and the confidence to face it.

Mika: I don't know. When I was in Paris, in a little school, everythin was fine. Then I came to London and landed in a huge structure where the troubles started. People get mean when they are too many. They don't have time to try and understand each other and this scares them.

Mika:Totally. Thanks to it I could tell things to people without having them annoying me. Yhis is the music's magic!

Mika: 'Cause there were better voices than mine. About 9 y.o. I dived into classical music in a pretty intense way, like a pro. This training gave my voice to me. Then, during the teenagehood, I lost it. I believed I was loosing my identity as well. So I started to write sonfs. I tried many castings but everywhere I got refused.

Mika: by constantly doing nothing, I was scared to turn into a simple dreamer. So, at 19 y.o., I entered the London School of Economics. Alots of young people used to dream about it but I wasn't happy. I left the very first day to go to the Royal College of Music. In the parking lot, I waited ofr the singing studies director, a little scottish guy, rounded, funny, with a high-pitched voice. I followed him till his car and I begged him to give me a chance. He told: “ok, I'm giving you one year. “ He knew I wasn't even at the same level than the others, but he sensed something more.

Have you always known that you needed to be just yourself in order to be successful?

Mika: No, but whenever I did mock-ups which were similar to others, it didn't work. Imitation, it's the creation's cancer. Album after album, I free myself to get closer to what I am. Even if that is not perfect, it's always better than somebody elses's copy.

Mika: he just needs to develop what he is. My songs are the illustration of what I think. It does work for every artist. Pagny 's last album , for instance, works very good 'cause it's consistent with what he is.

Mika: The good marketing always has to be natural, dictated out of instinct. This is why it is effective.

Mika: not at all. 'cause I knew as much as falilures. My last album, for instance, didn't hit the sales records. If some titles worked, it's 'cause I fought for it. Take “underwater” case. We struggled before the song turned out to be a succes. It takes off 'cause it was used on a radio ad.

To keep on having fun like I had no responsability. The other day, with Doriand, we were sitting in a coffee shop and we began to write a song on a paper napkin: a stuff which talks about the sex amid inhabitants of the XVI arrondissement de Paris! We have to know how to stay stupid . It's staying lighthearted that we can realizes beautiful and big things.

Mika: Leaving the tv, stop talking and devote myself to my next album. It's weird since the more the shootings are going on, the more I'm scared. First thing, cause Florent fighs with me and he destabilizes me. But, above all, 'cause I took many risks in picking up my team. I hope I won't regret it.

:thumb_yello: Grazie mille Elwendin! :huglove: I like: " imitation - it's the creation's cancer" - wise words! :wink2: It's also good to now that MIKA now is hopefully "devoted to his next alb." ...:fisch:

Love,love

me

Thank you, it's great!

Thank you for translating:huglove::huglove: yeah and it is an honest interview, love it

It's weird since the more the shootings are going on, the more I'm scared. First thing, cause Florent fighs with me and he destabilizes me. But, above all, 'cause I took many risks in picking up my team. I hope I won't regret it.

Yes he has been taking some risks. It's good that the show has some interesting singers on there but I don't know how much potential some of them have to win a battle of any kind. But I guess in the end there is only one winner so you only need one good pick.

Thanks for the translation. That was a nice interview. I like how every interview he gives, no matter how run of the mill, always has something original and interesting in it.

I'm beginning to wonder about this alien thing, though. Why do people keep implying that he's from outer space? I find it odd.

I finally took some time to translate another article. It's the one from Télé Câble Sat:

To quote you from one of your first hits, we can say you're very 'relax' on The Voice set.

But not at all! Maybe you can't see it but I'm very nervous. The Voice is a strange combination. I need to be myself while being very clear in my explanations.

About being clear, have you used the French dictionary Garou offered you?

I refuse! I prefer making mistakes in French and saying things than shutting up.

Where did you learn French?

As a child, I lived for 8 years and a half in Paris. In a way, this French influence saved me. It allowed me to live with this unclassifiable side when I started music in the UK. Over there, you have to make rock or lyrical music. You can't mix. Likewise, I'm doing The Voice in France and not in the UK...

Almost 10 million viewers for the 1st show, you must be proud...

I'm proud of the team. The production and other coaches live the show at 100%. They want to make something nice.

Garou says you have 'eaten' all of them up...

You have to be wary of what Garou says. He's a bad guy. I will not fall in his trap!

The other coaches must be jealous of your success?

No! We had dinner together a while ago. Sometimes, we insult each other but we respect each other.

Where does your clothing style come from?

From my mother! She works with a designer in Italy. We wanted clothes we couldn't find in shops. It's a style designed especially for TV. I consider it a little bit like a movie character's outfit.

With your juvenile enthusiasm, we think about Peter Pan

No! The Peter Pan syndrome, who remained naive like a child, makes you suffer. I'm not naive. I'd rather consider myself as an 'enfant terrible'!

Like Spleen, the 'UFO' contestant in your team... He's said to have a strong character. Don't you fear he's going to be unmanageable?

No. I sometimes make fun of him. I want him to be less theatrical. And also Elodie, the 17 year old girl who joined my team, is as strong as Spleen. I want to find people who are true to themselves and who have strange voices. You'll see, I'm taking risks!

Are you a strict coach?

I'm frank and direct. There's a singing teacher working with the contestants that we don't see on TV. I like her so much that I'm going to take lessons with her.

Are you a competitor?

I'd like to win but, as I say to the contestants, it is the process that counts.

In The Voice, it is often the losers that are remembered the most.

It's true but I'd like to break this idea. At the moment, we don't know who's got more chance to win...

We often say that Britons talk openly about their wage. What's yours for The Voice?

When I give a gig, you don't ask me how much I earn? And, I grew up in France, and moreover, I am Lebanese!

You are more and more exposed. Tabloids are going to nose around your private life...

I've already said everything about my sexuality. I've got nothing to hide but I'm quite discreet. I've been with the same person for 7 years.

Did anti-gay marriage demonstrations in France shock you?

No. All of this takes time. I'm optimistic. Love and tolerance always end up winning.

What will the new album you're writing be like?

It will be an album with a lot of humour. It will be about life, about the ridiculous side of some situations. There will also be more songs in French!

Edited by camille*

Thanks Camille :flowers2:

What is that nonsense about the Brits? As if anyone would answer that question about how much they were paid during an interview. There's a better chance they'll admit who they're sleeping with and it doesn't matter what their nationality is.

I finally took some time to translate another article. It's the one from Télé Câble Sat:

To quote you from one of your first hits, we can say you're very 'relax' on The Voice set.

But not at all! Maybe you can't see it but I'm very nervous. The Voice is a strange combination. I need to be myself while being very clear in my explanations.

About being clear, have you used the French dictionary Garou offered you?

I refuse! I prefer making mistakes in French and saying things than shutting up.

Where did you learn French?

As a child, I lived for 8 years and a half in Paris. In a way, this French influence saved me. It allowed me to live with this unclassifiable side when I started music in the UK. Over there, you have to make rock or lyrical music. You can't mix. Likewise, I'm doing The Voice in France and not in the UK...

Almost 10 million viewers for the 1st show, you must be proud...

I'm proud of the team. The production and other coaches live the show at 100%. They want to make something nice.

Garou says you have 'eaten' all of them up...

You have to be wary of what Garou says. He's a bad guy. I will not fall in his trap!

The other coaches must be jealous of your success?

No! We had dinner together a while ago. Sometimes, we insult each other but we respect each other.

Where does your clothing style come from?

From my mother! She works with a designer in Italy. We wanted clothes we couldn't find in shops. It's a style designed especially for TV. I consider it a little bit like a movie character's outfit.

With your juvenile enthusiasm, we think about Peter Pan

No! The Peter Pan syndrome, who remained naive like a child, makes you suffer. I'm not naive. I'd rather consider myself as an 'enfant terrible'!

Like Spleen, the 'UFO' contestant in your team... He's said to have a strong character. Don't you fear he's going to be unmanageable?

No. I sometimes make fun of him. I want him to be less theatrical. And also Elodie, the 17 year old girl who joined my team, is as strong as Spleen. I want to find people who are true to themselves and who have strange voices. You'll see, I'm taking risks!

Are you a strict coach?

I'm frank and direct. There's a singing teacher working with the contestants that we don't see on TV. I like her so much that I'm going to take lessons with her.

Are you a competitor?

I'd like to win but, as I say to the contestants, it is the process that counts.

In The Voice, it is often the losers that are remembered the most.

It's true but I'd like to break this idea. At the moment, we don't know who's got more chance to win...

We often say that Britons talk openly about their wage. What's yours for The Voice?

When I give a gig, you don't ask me how much I earn? And, I grew up in France, and moreover, I am Lebanese!

You are more and more exposed. Tabloids are going to nose around your private life...

I've already said everything about my sexuality. I've got nothing to hide but I'm quite discreet. I've been with the same person for 7 years.

Did anti-gay marriage demonstrations in France shock you?

No. All of this takes time. I'm optimistic. Love and tolerance always end up winning.

It will be an album with a lot of humour. It will be about life, about the ridiculous side of some situations. There will also be more songs in French!

Thanks a lot for your translation Camille! :huglove: Good answers from MIKA, as usual ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

I finally took some time to translate another article. It's the one from Télé Câble Sat: . . .

It will be an album with a lot of humour.

It will be about life,

about the ridiculous side of some situations.

There will also be more songs in French!

AH, MIKA says

'There will also be MORE songs in French!'

not ALL songs in French.

Edited by A. Clay

I don't think it has anything to do with the Brits, it's more about French people who have a big problem with talking about money. We really rarely evoke it and when we do it is not well perceived. I think they saw that Mika was being honest and they gave it a try very awkwardly I admit.

Strangely enough (but Florent is a strange and straightforward man), Florent Pagny has already revealed that he earns 500 000€ for The Voice. And recently he said that each coach had their own deal with the channel and he was joking about how much Mika could earn.

AH, MIKA says

'There will also be MORE songs in French!'

not ALL songs in French.

Yes I am pleased with that statement. I understand he wants to do French songs, but he does need the English language market. I suppose it can't be easy, trying to please all counties, but if anybody can do it, it's Mika.

Thanks Camille for the translation.

Yes I am pleased with that statement. I understand he wants to do French songs, but he does need the English language market. I suppose it can't be easy, trying to please all counties, but if anybody can do it, it's Mika.

Thanks Camille for the translation.

Yes Marilyn if he wants to gain success in the UK again it needs to be an all English album, I can't see it selling in the UK with french songs on.he needs to just keep them for the french version. Just my honest opinion. I want the best for him from this album:thumb_yello: