Mika in French Press - 2014

BiaIchihara

This is the translation of the 50 minutes inside interview:

How is it going with Jenifer, Florent, Garou, did they welcome you well?

Great. They welcomed me very well.

Didn't they tease the newbie?

No, they teased me a little bit but they are so nice, they are the same on the set and off the set which made me at ease and we have fun the same way when we are in the dressing rooms or in a café or in the big red chairs.

August 18 1983

Let's start with this (Nikos shows pics of Mika as a child, then they sum up the Lebanese story)

We left Beirut to come to Paris.

How many of you were there?

We were 3 children, then 2 others followed. Now we are 5.

Big family.

A big family. And we were a bit like the gypsies bothering all the neighbours because we were noisy

Middle East people

Yes Middle East people making a lot of noise, we weren't exactly elegant enough for where we were living. My dad had a good job so we were living in a good place and well we weren't exactly welcome all the time, but it didn't stop us from having fun

And loving France, to then leave for England

I loved it, for me Paris really is my childhood town. France is where I grew up.

A few years later the family settles down in London. If now Mika gives the image of a confident and well-off man, as a child it wasn't the case.

In London, you are not a good pupil, you have problems at school, you stop going to school.

Yes, actually I had difficult times when I was very dyslexic and I shut down and stopped talking for a very long time, a few months, almost a year, and I wouldn't talk, I wouldn't work, I forgot everything, I forgot how to read, to write, and my mum realised something really was wrong and they discovered what was happening at school, she took me out of school, well, they fired me and then during one year I didn't do anything but music. I made music everyday and I got my first job when I was 10 with the Royal Opera House. It was a very very strict classical training, 3 hours of lessons 3 days a week.

You could have been an opera singer.

I wanted to. So I went to work with the ROH with a lot of people and then I went to the Royal College of Music, where I studied to be a baritone.

February 5 2007

Do you like this video?

I hate this video, it's horrible.

When I wrote the song I was in London, I had to go to the studio and on my way to the studio, they evacuated the underground, because there were bomb attacks at the same time. And that day was terrible. I went back home and I started writing this song which says 'I took a ride to the end of the line.. on a broken train with nobody I know' It's a disaster, am I scared? I don't know but I say to myself..

'Relax', take it with philosophy

Yes exactly, and it's very strange that from this experience came this song.

June 30 2007

What you live at the Olympia is extraordinary, it's a child's dream

It was really one of the most beautiful moments of my whole life. The venue was trembling. It was the first time I was giving a big gig. I was sick, I had stage fright, I was really scared. Also I didn't have any clothes for this, what happened is that I got an invitation from Jean Paul Gaultier, he had seen one of my shows at the Bataclan. He told me 'here are clothes from the 80s, choose something for tonight'

Some of his mythical clothes

Exactly, of course I chose something really elegant and sober, very classical, a bomber jacket covered with glitter! It weighed a ton, this is what I wore at the Olympia and I got off the stage sweating, because I was sick too. It's one of the most beautiful moments of my life.

April 10 2010 (they talk about the 'Sept à Huit' report where they met his family)

One night she fell off the 4th floor.

Total tragedy.

Totally. She was caught by the fences below which completely destroyed her body from her abdomen to her legs. I got there, I saw her and I made a little prayer and I thought 'Please, either she's dead tonight, or she moves forward having a beautiful life'. And it worked because not only did she survive this but she didn't have brain damage, she now walks with a crutch but she walks on her own. And also I can say it now because it's been 5 months and a half, she is pregnant. She's having a baby!

January 1 2013 (about his trip to the Himalaya where he went to take some distance and think about his future)

We left, we had nothing, we weren't even ready because I thought 'maybe it will be cold but it will be ok', it was -25°C! And at -25°C we were miserable.

That puts things up to standard

That's when I thought at the very beginning of 2013 I have to make some changes in my life. I'm going to do all the things I'm scared of. And that's thanks to this experience that I accepted 2 months later to do The Voice.

Thank you Kathmandu!

Edited by camille*

No, they teased me a little bit but they are so nice, they are the same on the set and off the set which made me at ease and we have fun the same way when we are in the dressing rooms or in a café or in the big red chairs.

August 18 1983

Let's start with this (Nikos shows pics of Mika as a child, then they sum up the Lebanese story)

Big family.

A big family. And we were a bit like the gypsies bothering all the neighbours because we were noisy

Middle East people

Yes Middle East people making a lot of noise, we weren't exactly elegant enough for where we were living. My dad had a good job so we were living in a good place and well we weren't exactly welcome all the time, but it didn't stop us from having fun

I loved it, for me Paris really is my childhood town. France is where I grew up.

A few years later the family settles down in London. If now Mika gives the image of a confident and well-off man, as a child it wasn't the case.

In London, you are not a good pupil, you have problems at school, you stop going to school.

Yes, actually I had difficult times when I was very dyslexic and I shut down and stopped talking for a very long time, a few months, almost a year, and I wouldn't talk, I wouldn't work, I forgot everything, I forgot how to read, to write, and my mum realised something really was wrong and they discovered what was happening at school, she took me out of school, well, they fired me and then during one year I didn't do anything but music. I made music everyday and I got my first job when I was 10 with the Royal Opera House. It was a very very strict classical training, 3 hours of lessons 3 days a week.

I wanted to. So I went to work with the ROH with a lot of people and then I went to the Royal College of Music, where I studied to be a baritone.

February 5 2007

Do you like this video?

When I wrote the song I was in London, I had to go to the studio and on my way to the studio, they evacuated the underground, because there were bomb attacks at the same time. And that day was terrible. I went back home and I started writing this song which says 'I took a ride to the end of the line.. on a broken train with nobody I know' It's a disaster, am I scared? I don't know but I say to myself..

June 30 2007

It was really one of the most beautiful moments of my whole life. The venue was trembling. It was the first time I was giving a big gig. I was sick, I had stage fright, I was really scared. Also I didn't have any clothes for this, what happened is that I got an invitation from Jean Paul Gauthier, he had seen one of my shows at the Bataclan. He told me 'here are clothes from the 80s, choose something for tonight'

Exactly, of course I chose something really elegant and sober, very classical, a bomber jacket covered with glitter! It weighed a ton, this is what I wore at the Olympia and I got off the stage sweating, because I was sick too. It's one of the most beautiful moments of my life.

April 10 2010 (they talk about the 'Sept à Huit' report where they met his family)

Total tragedy.

Totally. She was caught by the fences below which completely destroyed her body from her abdomen to her legs. I got there, I saw her and I made a little prayer and I thought 'Please, either she's dead tonight, or she moves forward having a beautiful life'. And it worked because not only did she survive this but she didn't have brain damage, she now walks with a crutch but she walks on her own. And also I can say it now because it's been 5 months and a half, she is pregnant. She's having a baby!

January 1 2013 (about his trip to the Himalaya where he went to take some distance and think about his future)

We left, we had nothing, we weren't even ready because I thought 'maybe it will be cold but it will be ok', it was -25°C! And at -25°C we were miserable.

That's when I thought at the very beginning of 2013 I have to make some changes in my life. I'm going to do all the things I'm scared of. And that's thanks to this experience that I accepted 2 months later to do The Voice.

Thank you Kathmandu!

:thumb_yello: Merci Camille!! :huglove: It's great to know that the mountain experience gave MIKA stength and courage !:wub2: I also love to walk to high mountain tops, but I haven't been to such heights as Kathmandu, or alike - only in my own country :wink2: But the sight and overview you get, and the feeling of almost "being a bird" is unbelievable, and can be recommended ... teehee:

Love,love

me

Thanks Camille. I am still in awe over Paloma. I have heard from people that Mika and Yasmine have both said something along the lines of "Paloma is back to normal." But I couldn't help but think it's easy for them to say. It is her life and her body and her siblings are just glad to have her alive. But if she is able to carry a baby it sounds like she has truly recovered and has truly been able to move forward to lead a full life. It's such wonderful news.

I think it's a very selfless love if Mika says he would have prayed her to die rather than have a horribly compromised life. It surely would have damaged him and destroyed his family dynamic if she had not survived but if I was in Paloma's situation I would also feel that quality of life is more important than survival at all costs. I'm not sure everyone would agree with that but I understand it.

Thanks Camille. I am still in awe over Paloma. I have heard from people that Mika and Yasmine have both said something along the lines of "Paloma is back to normal." But I couldn't help but think it's easy for them to say. It is her life and her body and her siblings are just glad to have her alive. But if she is able to carry a baby it sounds like she has truly recovered and has truly been able to move forward to lead a full life. It's such wonderful news.

I think it's a very selfless love if Mika says he would have prayed her to die rather than have a horribly compromised life. It surely would have damaged him and destroyed his family dynamic if she had not survived but if I was in Paloma's situation I would also feel that quality of life is more important than survival at all costs. I'm not sure everyone would agree with that but I understand it.

Oh, I totally get it. But I think you can only truly understand if you've been in that situation yourself.

Edited by cathouzouf

August 18 1983

Big family.

Middle East people

February 5 2007

Do you like this video?

June 30 2007

It was really one of the most beautiful moments of my whole life. The venue was trembling. It was the first time I was giving a big gig. I was sick, I had stage fright, I was really scared. Also I didn't have any clothes for this, what happened is that I got an invitation from Jean Paul Gaultier, he had seen one of my shows at the Bataclan. He told me 'here are clothes from the 80s, choose something for tonight'

Total tragedy.

Thank you Kathmandu!

Thank you Camille! You're a star.

Mika smiles when he talks about Paloma's pregnancy.

http://videos.tf1.fr/50-mn-inside/le-portrait-mika-en-5-dates-8349399.html

12022909756_65a0ff9ec9_b.jpg

:wub2: He looks so happy!! :mikalove: I'm sure that he will be a very lovely and sweet uncle :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

I'm really happy for Paloma, this is a real miracle!! :woot_jump: Congrats for her :huglove:

Thank you very much Camille for the translation!! :mikalove:

PS And of course congrats for Mellody too!! :huglove:

Congrats Mellody! That's wonderful news!

Totally understand and agree Christine :thumb_yello:

I was impressed as well. I kept wondering about that for many hours, that was extremely selfless of him. And hard. Would you imagine to pray for your sibling's death (or for her beautiful future, but that was still harsh)?

I don't have any sibling so I can't really know what emotional bounds tie them, but I'amazed.

I was impressed as well. I kept wondering about that for many hours, that was extremely selfless of him. And hard. Would you imagine to pray for your sibling's death (or for her beautiful future, but that was still harsh)?

I don't have any sibling so I can't really know what emotional bounds tie them, but I'amazed.

I've been there and done that. Unfortunately, my brother died.

When put in that situation, it isn't as hard as you'd think. Because you have endless love for your sibling, you only want what is best for them.

Though it was hard to see my brother die, i knew it was the proper outcome for him, so i was at peace with it.

I've been there and done that. Unfortunately, my brother died.

When put in that situation, it isn't as hard as you'd think. Because you have endless love for your sibling, you only want what is best for them.

Though it was hard to see my brother die, i knew it was the proper outcome for him, so i was at peace with it.

:huglove:

Who got this interview?

Beq1emiIYAAfuyk.jpg

It will be on Monday :wink2:

Thierry Moreau @ThierryMoreauT7

Lundi à la Une de @Tele7 Jours, une star de #TheVoice...

Mais qui ? Mika !

Ok, je sors! pic.twitter.com/BED99b1nvi

It will be on Monday :wink2:

Thierry Moreau @ThierryMoreauT7

Lundi à la Une de @Tele7 Jours, une star de #TheVoice...

Mais qui ? Mika !

Ok, je sors! pic.twitter.com/BED99b1nvi

The interview in full will be on Monday, but this article is teasing some of the details here:

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/news-90233.html

Does it say the whole album will be in French? :blink:

The interview in full will be on Monday, but this article is teasing some of the details here:

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/news-90233.html

there will be some songs in French according to this tweet

They are not clear according to me. They can twist what he said out of ignorance or bad intentions as they usualy do. I prefer hearing him on the radio or in a vid than trusting articles . In italy I saw how often they twisted his statements.

I'll be translating the article in a while if our french friends don't prefer doing it by themselves (I don't want to ruin the translating pleasure to anyone)

@VirginRadiofr: .@mikasounds travaille actuellement sur un album 100% français : http://bit.ly/1dS9vdK #VirginRadioActu http://twitter.com/VirginRadiofr/status/426399307403911168/photo/1

Is it April Fool's day yet? I do hope so. I could deal with EMD, I think Soleil was ok, the rest was meh but honestly, 100% French? Good for French fans, brilliant marketing stunt for the Voice, not so good for international fans. I hope it's a lie.

*Prays for English songs*

the 4 songs they mentioned that he already wrote in french....

perhaps they are not new songs, but maybe they are referring to the 4 we already know

1) Elle me dit 2) Karen 3) Soleil Mal Luné 4) L'amour dans le mauvais temps

:dunno: