Mika's career choices discussion

crazyaboutmika

We are all aware of the fact that if he does not make money with his music, he will lose his international record deal? He is fortunate that he signed for 5 albums as they usually only do contracts for 3 albums. But if this new album and the one after that fail to have any impact, I guess we'll have to do with X-Factor and the Voice.

:mikadas:

We are all aware of the fact that if he does not make money with his music, he will lose his international record deal? He is fortunate that he signed for 5 albums as they usually only do contracts for 3 albums. But if this new album and the one after that fail to have any impact, I guess we'll have to do with X-Factor and the Voice.

Well his music isn't his priority now, doing these shows has put millions in the bank for him, so no rush for him now.:sneaky2: he doesn't seem to be giving much time to the album either,maybe he's just doing an album to fulfill his contract, who knows? NOT US :aah::teehee:

Maybe 2016 for the album??????

The thing is I can see these shows as his future, to sustain his lifestyle when he has his family, no need to tour the world keeping him from home for long periods of time. :shocked:

I hope I'm wrong, I want some acoustic gigs pronto :wink2:

He can stay home and write a musical instead:wink2:

Edited by buttonslovesu

I never understood why people make a number of his shoes. If wearing fancy shoes makes him feel good he should totally do it, I really don't care. I love his taste in general, especially his casual style and it's not so different than it used to be :wub2:

I agree with you.

The Mika casual style at the Swatch store in Milan, or at the last XF8 auditions last year was not so different from the style we were accustomed to know.

And regards to the choice of formal clothes for the evening shows, I've always found it quite tender, a sort of respectful way to present himself to the audience, if you understand what I mean.

In Naples too he said something like that, a red elegant jacket to pay omage to that historical venue.

We know it's an elegant way to promote Valentino and Moschino maybe, but he's so good at doing it :mikadas:.

thanks for the answer :thumb_yello:...I was imagining who knows what...and instead it was about Mika's feet :teehee::teehee::teehee: they are really golden... :teehee::teehee:

Precious golden but UGLY feet, no bare plz :naughty:

tbh i would love to see him change to another record label instead of universal. since the 2nd album, their promotion was sh*t, their choice of singles was sh*t, they don't really understand or even care much who/what kind of artist mika is (talking about german universal in this case, but guess it's true for the uk and maybe others as well), and also mika himself doesn't get along well with many people in this company (from what he said). an independent label who still care about their artists instead of building their business on pleasing stock holders would be better, in my opinion. surely a major label has advantages too, but seriously, i'm fed up with them. :aah:

ofc mika would also have to sell records to get a new record deal, no one will sign him if he doesn't make music. so that's not my point. just that i wouldn't mind him to change to another label.

tbh i would love to see him change to another record label instead of universal. since the 2nd album, their promotion was sh*t, their choice of singles was sh*t, they don't really understand or even care much who/what kind of artist mika is (talking about german universal in this case, but guess it's true for the uk and maybe others as well), and also mika himself doesn't get along well with many people in this company (from what he said). an independent label who still care about their artists instead of building their business on pleasing stock holders would be better, in my opinion. surely a major label has advantages too, but seriously, i'm fed up with them. :aah:

ofc mika would also have to sell records to get a new record deal, no one will sign him if he doesn't make music. so that's not my point. just that i wouldn't mind him to change to another label.

Yeah, independent label is a fabulous idea, only they don't have money to promote him, nor do they have money to finance expensive albums with choirs and sh*t. Every story has two sides and if Mika doesn't promote the **** out of his album, then Universal won't either.

I've never had issues with the label over here. And we can't just trust what Mika says. Independent label sounds fantastic in theory, but I doubt it will pay off.

The debate is complex and very interesting especially for a beginner like me. :blush-anim-cl:

I try to give you another point of view, the view of who was not there... but now there is. :teehee:

This is what I see, understand and think at this moment:

1. Mika is a true artist . And he is able to do many things well .

I can't see him compressed in the neverending mechanism album / promotion / tour / album / promotion / tour / . In this sense , I DO NOT see him suited to play the role of "international pop artist "

I don't care very much what was before, a little bit because I was not there, :teehee: a little bit because I live in the present. The combination of favorable conditions that have led him to success are difficult to repeat and trying to reproduce the same scheme would be a suicide for me . The music industry has changed, Mika has changed. I don't see him jumping on stage like a madman all over the world up to 40 and 50 years old . Nor he seems willing to become a puppet, churning out albums. If he wants a long and challenging career, he must change course, look for a different audience, change his image (a difficult task for anyone who has a public image). His image is too closely tied , in my opinion , to the "commercial pop" , an idea of music that keep him in a box too small. And this condition, prevents him to comunicate to the public his wonderful world of art . A lot of people , distracted by a thousand things, do not get anything except for his festive image and catchy melodies . Too many people have never even caught a glimpse of his artistic depth . There is something that does not work. What I see now is a man who has a desire to change , to try, to do different things.

2 . In OOL there are many beautiful songs , some of theme are really wonderful . But there are too many wrong arrangements , a forced dance style , which does not fit at all in the style of Mika , I think much more elegant and refined. The first thing I thought listening to the album ( just a few months ago!) is that all those "disco sounds" had nothing to do with the Mika who I was experiencing. This guy has to make peace with himself and find the "right machine" to express what now, at 30 yers old, has to say.

3 . The promotion of OOL was a disaster , it ruined an album with a lot of potential and compromised the career of a talented artist. Whatever choice he takes away from that scheme , including making XF in Burkina Faso , it will be better than that strategy .

4 . Changing scheme often means also changing the starting point.

Much better than banging your head against the same wall.

Re-starting from a " comfort zone " , such as France or Italy , can give him a warm and thick blanket, able to help him in more hostile lands (professionally speaking :teehee:), such as England or America. Step by step you can go far...

For all these reasons, it seems to me that the choices of Mika, for now, are fairly consistent with a general strategy of chaniging and repositioning on the musical market. We will se. :mf_rosetinted:

:thumb_yello: Here's a lot of points to agree with. About one year ago, when MIKA first accepted to be a judge at XF, Italy, I thought, and said, that he needed changes and challenges. I've never expected him to be satisfied with just writing music, hide in the studios to record it - and then off again for a new world tour! :blink: In fact, I'm afraid it would get quite boring for him, and he would loose his inspiration. I personally find it very exciting that he can do so many different things so well, that he keeps on going his own way, independant and obviously inspired. When he's happy with his doings, I'm pleased as well, even I, from a selfish point of view, would like most to get his new music constantly, just because I love his music! :blush-anim-cl:

When it comes to the lack of promo for TOOL, I nearly lost my night sleep, by pure frustration, also this I've told earlier - such an excellent alb. and lots of countries never even heard about it at all :doh: Now I've learned to be more relaxed, I take what I get, and imo, MIKA has used his time last year very well, and has experienced lots of new challenges - and the best of it is that he both tells in interviews, and looks, very happy and satisfied! :wub2: And I still believe his words, that he's working with his new alb. and I'm sure it will be out in due time! The other 3 albs. have been released with 3 years intervall - and TOOL is still only 20 months old ...:fisch:

Love,love

me

I think that this kind of feelings are really incompatible with the nature of Mika.

If what you say is true, and for UK market or for UK fans is hard to accept that Mika can do things in other countries, in other languages​​, in other styles ...well, the break with England, professionally speaking, can be incurable.

Because multiculturalism (of music, languages, people, experience, countries....) flows in his veins. That is his nature, I see.

Sometimes I imagine an album with many styles and many languages​​, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic ... a huge hot mess ... :teehee:

:thumb_yello: This makes sense! MIKA really is multicultural - and he has often said that he doesn't belong to any particular place, that he doesn't have deep roots anywhere. If he really made such an alb. with many mixed styles, in many languages, this would be ... yes, MIKA !! :wub2: So I do hope you're right, and that it really will happen in the future ...:teehee:

Love,love

me

I'd very much like to subscribe to your excipit, but I'm not credible with two tribal watches on my wrist and two pairs of coloured glasses with messages inside :mikacool:

:naughty: Haha - this's great! MIKA isn't lazy, he has made lots of good stuff, which helps you to be on time, and protect your eyes from the sharp Italian sun ...:wink2:

Love,love

me

I think that this kind of feelings are really incompatible with the nature of Mika.

If what you say is true, and for UK market or for UK fans is hard to accept that Mika can do things in other countries, in other languages​​, in other styles ...well, the break with England, professionally speaking, can be incurable.

Because multiculturalism (of music, languages, people, experience, countries....) flows in his veins. That is his nature, I see.

Sometimes I imagine an album with many styles and many languages​​, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Arabic ... a huge hot mess ... :teehee:

My dream, too. :thumb_yello:

And the Coke studio Relax version happens to be my favorite version...

Yeah, independent label is a fabulous idea, only they don't have money to promote him, nor do they have money to finance expensive albums with choirs and sh*t. Every story has two sides and if Mika doesn't promote the **** out of his album, then Universal won't either.

I've never had issues with the label over here. And we can't just trust what Mika says. Independent label sounds fantastic in theory, but I doubt it will pay off.

seriously, in germany any low-cost guerilla promo would be better than what universal did for the last 2 albums. :aah: how would they know how to promote an artist, if they don't even understand what he's about? music is always about emotions, and if you don't consider that, investing money in the best marketing techniques won't help.

again, i'd love to know how this works internationally. for example, universal italy would be stupid to drop him. could he stay with them just in some countries, but change to another label in others?

in any case, despite not being happy with his decisions atm, i trust him that he knows what he's doing, he's not stupid. i'm sure he knows about his contracts and about the consequences - and either he has a plan to make it work with the next 2 albums, or he doesn't mind leaving universal. all i hope is that he doesn't plan to leave the music scene completely as a performer - if he was just writing songs for others / for a musical / etc, i wouldn't be happy - even if he was making music in that case. :dunno:

seriously, in germany any low-cost guerilla promo would be better than what universal did for the last 2 albums. :aah: how would they know how to promote an artist, if they don't even understand what he's about? music is always about emotions, and if you don't consider that, investing money in the best marketing techniques won't help.

again, i'd love to know how this works internationally. for example, universal italy would be stupid to drop him. could he stay with them just in some countries, but change to another label in others?

in any case, despite not being happy with his decisions atm, i trust him that he knows what he's doing, he's not stupid. i'm sure he knows about his contracts and about the consequences - and either he has a plan to make it work with the next 2 albums, or he doesn't mind leaving universal. all i hope is that he doesn't plan to leave the music scene completely as a performer - if he was just writing songs for others / for a musical / etc, i wouldn't be happy - even if he was making music in that case. :dunno:

Last time I checked, he was not even on the artist list on Universal Canada website...:sneaky2:

Any record company couldn't care less about emotions. It's money they want. If it was all about emotion, Miley Cyrus would never have got a record deal and Blurred Lines wouldn't have been a massive hit. And really, they can do all the promo they want, but popular radio stations have to pick up a song for it to become a success 99% of the time. So if radio stations refuse to play his single, then the record company could spend all the cash they have, but nothing is better promo than getting played on the radio.

I think it would be possible to sign with Universal Italy, but that would most certainly be bad news for the rest of us as the album would only be released in Italy.

I am beyond the point of caring what he does with his life and career. I will just jump back in when he does something I find interesting. However, people should be aware of the fact that losing his record deal is a realistic prospect if he does not show them what he's worth.

Last time I checked, he was not even on the artist list on Universal Canada website...:sneaky2:

He is in Holland. But he's probably listed under another record company in Canada. He is not on the Universal UK website but he is on the Island records website, which effectively is his record label owned by Universal.

It's hard to talk about these things, there are too many elements that we do not know. Sony would be better than Univesal? Or rather, an independent label? And how much it would cost to cancel a record deal to pass to another label?

I do not know, these are really problems that Mika must solve by himself.

I just hope that this time there will be a clear musical project and common purposes, everyone pulling in the same direction. :aah:

He is in Holland. But he's probably listed under another record company in Canada. He is not on the Universal UK website but he is on the Island records website, which effectively is his record label owned by Universal.

All those labels are group on one website... And I just checked, no Mika

Any record company couldn't care less about emotions. It's money they want. If it was all about emotion, Miley Cyrus would never have got a record deal and Blurred Lines wouldn't have been a massive hit. And really, they can do all the promo they want, but popular radio stations have to pick up a song for it to become a success 99% of the time. So if radio stations refuse to play his single, then the record company could spend all the cash they have, but nothing is better promo than getting played on the radio.

I think it would be possible to sign with Universal Italy, but that would most certainly be bad news for the rest of us as the album would only be released in Italy.

I am beyond the point of caring what he does with his life and career. I will just jump back in when he does something I find interesting. However, people should be aware of the fact that losing his record deal is a realistic prospect if he does not show them what he's worth.

I totally understand it could happen, he wouldn't be the first, nor would he be the last... Many find a new deal somewhere else. And go on with their career.

It's hard to talk about these things, there are too many elements that we do not know. Sony would be better than Univesal? Or rather, an independent label? And how much it would cost to cancel a record deal to pass to another label?

I just hope that this time there will be a clear musical project and common purposes, everyone pulling in the same direction. :aah:

We shall see what the future brings.

All those labels are group on one website... And I just checked, no Mika

That's weird.

I totally understand it could happen, he wouldn't be the first, nor would he be the last... Many find a new deal somewhere else. And go on with their career.

That's true, but considering our high standards about promotion and stuff, it is the question if he'll be back where he was in 2007. Something he deserves with whichever path he chooses to take music wise.

I think George Michael would beg to differ with you on that. He had a lengthy battle to get out of his contract with Sony, due to creative differences.

We shall see what the future brings.

That's weird.

That's true, but considering our high standards about promotion and stuff, it is the question if he'll be back where he was in 2007. Something he deserves with whichever path he chooses to take music wise.

Well, we can only wait and see, right?

This label talk was useful -- it made me curious, so I went to have a look at Universal's US website. Mika's under a division called Republic Records, and I hadn't looked at that site for ages. Here's the page:

http://www.republicrecords.com/artists/mika/

What's so interesting is that they even mention Live Your Life! I never heard a peep about it over here, so it was a surprise to see it on their artists' "Best of 2013 Playlist." :blink:

Anyway, something for me to bookmark and refer back to now and then to see what they've posted, if anything.

Edited by dcdeb

This label talk was useful -- it made me curious, so I went to have a look at Universal's US website. Mika's under a division called Republic Records, and I hadn't looked at that site for ages. Here's the page:

http://www.republicrecords.com/artists/mika/

What's so interesting is that they even mention Live Your Life! I never heard a peep about it over here, so it was a surprise to see it on their artists' "Best of 2013 Playlist." :blink:

Anyway, something for me bookmark and refer back to now and then to see what they've posted, if anything.

Now that's becoming stranger by the minute... I check a few other artists on the Republic Records website and went back to Universal Canada. While Ariana Grande and Lorde are mentionned, Mika isn't.:shocked:

Oh well

he is nowhere on their site... but the "Midway State" who opened for him in 2008 are... :blush-anim-cl:

I think the "Mika is so multicultural" thing is entirely propaganda at least where his music is concerned. Just because he loves other countries and other languages and other music does not mean he is going to make anything but pop or write anything but English lyrics. He wanted to write in French so badly he waited until he was 28 years old and hired someone else to do it for him. Riiight.

If people want an album that is essentially cover songs or someone else remixing Mika songs then a multicultural album will answer your prayers I guess. If you want one that is Mika's music and not the music of Doriand and Doriando and Al Doriandid then you had better hope he sticks to English and to something resembling pop. :naughty: