NEW single BOUM BOUM BOUM out June 11th!

robertina

But, it's not just about it being released in the UK. The fact is that no one in the UK knows about the song's existence, unless they are clued up with what Mika is doing. Mika isn't appearing on TV here, to promote the song. There is no advertising of the song. I've seen ads where So-and-So's new single will be out whenever, but nothing about Mika.

Also, if the song will be available in English speaking countries, surely they should announce it in English, as well as French. UK will take absolutely no notice of something written in French.

The song could be the best song ever written, but without anyone knowing about it, and no radio play on the big UK Radio stations, it will not be a hit, and Mika really needs a UK hit song.

So I hope it will be advertised, or something. Not only in UK, but other countries too, if its going to be released worldwide.

one step after another :wink2: it's already good if the single is released in the UK, if not, nothing would be possible anyway :mf_rosetinted:

I don't think this song will be the international single,maybe it will release it worldwide,but the peoples in the area don't speak French hardly to notice this song:no:

But, it's not just about it being released in the UK. The fact is that no one in the UK knows about the song's existence, unless they are clued up with what Mika is doing. Mika isn't appearing on TV here, to promote the song. There is no advertising of the song. I've seen ads where So-and-So's new single will be out whenever, but nothing about Mika.

Also, if the song will be available in English speaking countries, surely they should announce it in English, as well as French. UK will take absolutely no notice of something written in French.

The song could be the best song ever written, but without anyone knowing about it, and no radio play on the big UK Radio stations, it will not be a hit, and Mika really needs a UK hit song.

So I hope it will be advertised, or something. Not only in UK, but other countries too, if its going to be released worldwide.

Is there a way for us to help? I know this may sound extremely naive, but I'm still new here and I'm totally ignorant on these matters, so please bear with me... I am aware that we can't make miracles and that good promotion is a MUST for an artist, but... can we help some way, even just a little bit?

same in Germany but as I know that I will use my time today and write emails to every radio Station I can get the email adresses. Will do it today and tomorrow and as often as I have time and I know some friends of mine will do the same.

same in Germany but as I know that I will use my time today and write emails to every radio Station I can get the email adresses. Will do it today and tomorrow and as often as I have time and I know some friends of mine will do the same.

:thumb_yello:

:huglove:

Is there a way for us to help? I know this may sound extremely naive, but I'm still new here and I'm totally ignorant on these matters, so please bear with me... I am aware that we can't make miracles and that good promotion is a MUST for an artist, but... can we help some way, even just a little bit?

As it is the first time he is really releasing a single since I'm a fan, I've got the same question than you, don't worry :wink2:

Any idea?

Well there is a UK Promotion of Mika thread that I started a few years ago. The thing is, we contacted Radio One, which needs to play the song to make it a hit, but they said he isn't relevant anymore, and wouldn't be budged from that view.

Radio Two did play OOL and Uw, but people who listen to Radio Two aren't the people who download singles, they are older people.

The trouble is that for years, Mika hasn't been promoted in the UK, and it certainly doesn't help that he is in France and Italy most of the time. I'm happy to help get the word out, but just a few people getting on to Radio One is not going to change their minds.

By rights, it's his promotion people who should be getting their act together for Mika. It's not actually our job.

But if he wanted to give me a job, I'd do a better job than them!

UK is a lost cause, and not only because the single is in French. It needs to be played on R1 to get famous and it won't be played there unless it is famous. You see the problem.

And that doesn't just go for R1. In de UK Mika is a one hit wonder and that's not going to change. We can blame that on Mika for not being there enough, but at this point it really wouldn't make a difference if he were. In 2008 it would have worked, but now he simply won't be invited for stuff that could get him back in the picture. He was interesting for X-factor Italy because he was an international star and thus made X-factor more 'important' just by being there. He doesn't have that going for him in the UK.

The only possible route at this point would be the internet, like stromae or psy, and even then it would probably have to be through the US before anyone in the UK noticed it. Obviously this is very unlikely, so I'd try to make it big in the countries where it stands a chance so at least some record company will feel the record might sell enough for them to put an effort in it.

one step after another :wink2: it's already good if the single is released in the UK, if not, nothing would be possible anyway :mf_rosetinted:

Like Marilyn said, releasing it without promo, in what ever country is like spitting in the wind.

He's doing a French tv show this week to promote, all good for France, but not for Australia, S. Africa, the rest of Europe, UK, US etc.

A record can't have an international release without promo behind it, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

To touch on something Marilyn mentioned about R1, I saw an article recently on how they pick their playlist now, and Youtube hits on the accompanying video plays a big part apparently.

Though that didn't help The Popular Song, and that had millions of hits.

Edited by RAK1

UK is a lost cause, and not only because the single is in French. It needs to be played on R1 to get famous and it won't be played there unless it is famous. You see the problem.

And that doesn't just go for R1. In de UK Mika is a one hit wonder and that's not going to change. We can blame that on Mika for not being there enough, but at this point it really wouldn't make a difference if he were. In 2008 it would have worked, but now he simply won't be invited for stuff that could get him back in the picture. He was interesting for X-factor Italy because he was an international star and thus made X-factor more 'important' just by being there. He doesn't have that going for him in the UK.

The only possible route at this point would be the internet, like stromae or psy, and even then it would probably have to be through the US before anyone in the UK noticed it. Obviously this is very unlikely, so I'd try to make it big in the countries where it stands a chance so at least some record company will feel the record might sell enough for them to put an effort in it.

Amen. I am not going to tell people what to do but honestly for UK fans I think you need to accept, at least for the time being, that Mika is not coming back in the UK. Do it for your own peace of mind.

I've heard so many people say this year that he needs to do something "before it's too late". It's already too late. He tried to pick up where he left off in 2009 and British pop music had already moved on without him 5 years ago. Sadly for Mika and many of the rest of us it was too late 5 years ago. Since then he has been in the incredibly disadvantaged position of having to start from below bottom in order to climb to the top again. He is not just back to where he was in 2006 when he was trying to break, he is in a worse position. He doesn't have his youth, novelty, potential success and comparisons to Freddie going for him anymore. The BBC is not pushing him anymore.

Maybe Mika will find a route to make a comeback one day, maybe he won't. Stranger things have happened and anything is possible and all of that. But for the moment Mika is concentrating on other things. I totally agree that 5 years ago or even 2 years ago that Mika and the people who promote him did not make the right moves to try to counteract this steep decline in the UK but the damage is done now. They went in a different direction and it makes sense to me that they should follow through on those choices.

If this album is coming out in November then releasing a single geared to France makes perfect sense. It will require very little promotion, just as EMD required very little promotion. There is a good chance he will be able to capitalize on his fame from the Voice, have a hit single and yet still be free during the summer to work on the album. Then come September there will would be an English single and he can start promoting in earnest in France, Italy and maybe beyond.

What is the point in anyone - Mika, his record company, his non-French fans - getting worked up about the fate of this single when it is clearly just meant as a stop-gap to keep his name in the consciousness of the French public until the album comes out?

I have been as disappointed as anyone with where Mika's career has gone but that is where it has gone. Personally I have very little interest in it and am moving on in terms of considering myself a big Mika fan. For those who don't want to move on you should do yourself a favour and just accept that you are following someone who is no longer a British popstar. It is commendable to have faith in someone but if that faith is grounded in wishful thinking instead of facts you will continue to suffer disappointment after disappointment.

Yes. This is where we stand with Mika, and there's no point in fighting against it.

I'm the first to be disappointed, even if I'm in Italy where he's being successful.

I only hope in some gigs at some point, so that my UK etc fan friends can come over and enjoy him , one way or another.

Gigs in Italy are better than no gigs, you only will have to put up with the audience :mf_rosetinted:

Amen. I am not going to tell people what to do but honestly for UK fans I think you need to accept, at least for the time being, that Mika is not coming back in the UK. Do it for your own peace of mind.

I've heard so many people say this year that he needs to do something "before it's too late". It's already too late. He tried to pick up where he left off in 2009 and British pop music had already moved on without him 5 years ago. Sadly for Mika and many of the rest of us it was too late 5 years ago. Since then he has been in the incredibly disadvantaged position of having to start from below bottom in order to climb to the top again. He is not just back to where he was in 2006 when he was trying to break, he is in a worse position. He doesn't have his youth, novelty, potential success and comparisons to Freddie going for him anymore. The BBC is not pushing him anymore.

Maybe Mika will find a route to make a comeback one day, maybe he won't. Stranger things have happened and anything is possible and all of that. But for the moment Mika is concentrating on other things. I totally agree that 5 years ago or even 2 years ago that Mika and the people who promote him did not make the right moves to try to counteract this steep decline in the UK but the damage is done now. They went in a different direction and it makes sense to me that they should follow through on those choices.

If this album is coming out in November then releasing a single geared to France makes perfect sense. It will require very little promotion, just as EMD required very little promotion. There is a good chance he will be able to capitalize on his fame from the Voice, have a hit single and yet still be free during the summer to work on the album. Then come September there will would be an English single and he can start promoting in earnest in France, Italy and maybe beyond.

What is the point in anyone - Mika, his record company, his non-French fans - getting worked up about the fate of this single when it is clearly just meant as a stop-gap to keep his name in the consciousness of the French public until the album comes out?

I have been as disappointed as anyone with where Mika's career has gone but that is where it has gone. Personally I have very little interest in it and am moving on in terms of considering myself a big Mika fan. For those who don't want to move on you should do yourself a favour and just accept that you are following someone who is no longer a British popstar. It is commendable to have faith in someone but if that faith is grounded in wishful thinking instead of facts you will continue to suffer disappointment after disappointment.

You are right.

For a while now I've been thinking about what you have just said. I just didn't want to give up on him, but those wonderful days of 2007 don't seem to have a hope of coming back. Not in UK anyway.

I had hoped that Mika would come back to UK and do something to help get the public to know him again, but that's not going to happen if he's still doing Italian X Factor.

I can't blame him for the decisions he's made. At least, in Italy and France, he still has a career. It would be no use him coming back to the UK, just to sell out a venue the size of his own living room.

I think, as you say, it all went wrong years ago. Around the time of the 2nd album, and then, with album 3, it didn't help him that the worst song on TOOL was the lead single.

It's just such a shame, because he has so much talent. But I have to accept that, at least for the foreseeable future, he won't be able to reclaim the UK success he had before.

I do wish him great success in Italy and France, with the new single.

It's sad really, people still remember Mika in the UK for LICM (everybody found his style so fun and refreshing) , but have no clue that he even released anything after that. I appreciate this isn't entirely Mika's fault, but releasing a French single 5 years after any major hit isn't exactly going to be the best way for him to come back to the British charts . Not that I care about popularity at all, but I think his recent music has been more commercial as a way of appealing to more people, and selling more records. His music no longer seems true to his unique style . The whole X-factor/The Voice saga also back this idea up. He once spoke about his dislike of the talent-show culture, but it seems he wants money and fame more than to be a unique songwriter nowadays. :dunno:

Becoming an 'overnight success' can't have been easy, and he suffered with 'writing block' after TBWKTM failed to impact on the charts, but surely he didn't think that being a singer was going to be easy or that judging talent shows was the way to solve the problem? Being famous probably changed his initial views on the music industry, and he appears to be slowly becoming like other 'celebrities', but hopefully (optimistically) he'll change his ways before it becomes too late.:fisch:

It would be amazing to see Mika in concert in the UK again, to hear his songs being played on the radio again, for him to be well-known enough to be in the charts again. But what would be better than anything would be to have some decent new songs released regularly and more frequently (this might help him to become better-known again too), which I'm sure would everybody on here happy :mikalove::):huglove:

Not that I actually believe any of this will happen, but it'd be nice!:mf_rosetinted:

And in the information of the snippet on the official mikasounds youtube, they say it will be realeased worldwide. I don't know why poor UK would be let on the side :huglove:

It actually says "internationally" including the US and Canada on both Facebook and the YouTube clip:

The track 'Boum Boum Boum' will be released internationally via itunes on Wednesday 11th June (USA and Canada on 17th June).

So I don't understand why there's even a question about its release. :dunno:

I wonder why I have to wait an extra week to buy it, but as long as I CAN buy it eventually, it's all good. Maybe it's taking them an extra week to get it translated into English. :naughty:

I'm not even going to start on the topic of how it's going to be promoted (or not). But I would love nothing better than to read that Mika is going to be on Letterman or Jimmy Kimmel here in the US one night next week. :pray:

It actually says "internationally" including the US and Canada on both Facebook and the YouTube clip:

The track 'Boum Boum Boum' will be released internationally via itunes on Wednesday 11th June (USA and Canada on 17th June).

So I don't understand why there's even a question about its release. :dunno:

I wonder why I have to wait an extra week to buy it, but as long as I CAN buy it eventually, it's all good. Maybe it's taking them an extra week to get it translated into English. :naughty:

I'm not even going to start on the topic of how it's going to be promoted (or not). But I would love nothing better than to read that Mika is going to be on Letterman or Jimmy Kimmel here in the US one night next week. :pray:

Has Stephen Colbert not started on The Late Show yet?

Has Stephen Colbert not started on The Late Show yet?

No, I don't think Letterman is leaving until 2015 -- there's been no exact date announced.

Because records have been released here on Tuesdays for at least the past 30 years (maybe always). So it was either the 10th or the 17th and they are never going to release it here before Europe.

You are right.

For a while now I've been thinking about what you have just said. I just didn't want to give up on him, but those wonderful days of 2007 don't seem to have a hope of coming back. Not in UK anyway.

I had hoped that Mika would come back to UK and do something to help get the public to know him again, but that's not going to happen if he's still doing Italian X Factor.

I can't blame him for the decisions he's made. At least, in Italy and France, he still has a career. It would be no use him coming back to the UK, just to sell out a venue the size of his own living room.

I think, as you say, it all went wrong years ago. Around the time of the 2nd album, and then, with album 3, it didn't help him that the worst song on TOOL was the lead single.

It's just such a shame, because he has so much talent. But I have to accept that, at least for the foreseeable future, he won't be able to reclaim the UK success he had before.

I do wish him great success in Italy and France, with the new single.

I agree with Christine, who pointed it all out, and also with you here. MIKAs problems in UK started long time ago, probably around the time of the 2nd alb. as you say - or as Christine says: it was too late in UK already 5 years ago, which is too sad for words! :doh: But at least we can't blame either XF or The Voice for his lack of success! Imo, it's natural that MIKA turns to countries who want him - where he's invited. But things can happen - we just have to wait and see what the future brings - at least we now have the excitement of a new single to be released tomorrow - and a new alb. in Nov. :fisch:

Love,love

me

I agree with Christine, who pointed it all out, and also with you here. MIKAs problems in UK started long time ago, probably around the time of the 2nd alb. as you say - or as Christine says: it was too late in UK already 5 years ago, which is too sad for words! :doh: But at least we can't blame either XF or The Voice for his lack of success! Imo, it's natural that MIKA turns to countries who want him - where he's invited. But things can happen - we just have to wait and see what the future brings - at least we now have the excitement of a new single to be released tomorrow - and a new alb. in Nov. :fisch:

Love,love

me

I would say that at least X Factor and The Voice have given Mika a lifeline in those countries. It means that, at least he still has a career in the industry, and the new single will be a hit in these countries.

Of course I would be thrilled about the song being released worldwide, but it's in French, with no promotion, so in the UK, it will just reinforce the belief here, that Mika is finished.

Last year, Live Your Life came out, because of the beer commercial in Spain. That would have been brilliant for the UK. With some promotion here it may have stood a chance, but the opportunity for international success with the song, was missed. Once again I don't blame Mika, I blame the powers that be for not co-ordinating a worldwide release.

Yet now, they want to release a French song worldwide.

Maybe Boum Boum Boum is fantastic, and maybe there's an English version for us. But atm it's all maybes. I don't want to be unrealistic, or set myself up for disappointment, so I'm not raising my hopes. What will happen, will happen.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Yet now, they want to release a French song worldwide.

Maybe Boum Boum Boum is fantastic, and maybe there's an English version for us. But atm it's all maybes. I don't want to be unrealistic, or set myself up for disappointment, so I'm not raising my hopes. What will happen, will happen.

I think that its going to be like Elle me Dit again, a good catchy pop song, which will be played in the French radio (especially after promoting himself so much with the Voice), and other french speaking countries, but that will have no significance in the rest of the world...

I agree about the current situation (I have a bad connection so not quoting anyone) and think it's partly caused by his own decisions and partly by things beyond his control/the mistakes his record company has done in the past. However, I'm not personally disappointed with his career because I see his talent and value as an artist and believe that the whole world will see it again at some point and it's enough for me. Music business is ups and downs and changing all the time and for some rare artists it can be enough just keep making good music but for most artists it's not that easy but much more complicated. My only hope is that he has a peace of mind with the situation and that he feels his usual joy of creating and making music and continues his career as a singer and song-writer and that he is happy with his work (maybe doing many different things) and patient with his international success. A suitable song at a suitable time can change everything and make people see his real value and I'm definitely going to be there when it happens. You know, it can happen tomorrow :wink2:

I agree about the current situation (I have a bad connection so not quoting anyone) and think it's partly caused by his own decisions and partly by things beyond his control/the mistakes his record company has done in the past. However, I'm not personally disappointed with his career because I see his talent and value as an artist and believe that the whole world will see it again at some point and it's enough for me. Music business is ups and downs and changing all the time and for some rare artists it can be enough just keep making good music but for most artists it's not that easy but much more complicated. My only hope is that he has a peace of mind with the situation and that he feels his usual joy of creating and making music and continues his career as a singer and song-writer and that he is happy with his work (maybe doing many different things) and patient with his international success. A suitable song at a suitable time can change everything and make people see his real value and I'm definitely going to be there when it happens. You know, it can happen tomorrow :wink2:

Well said Nina - I agree with everythings you say! :huglove: And I'm sure there's so much more joy ahead, for both MIKA and us, his fans and supporters ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

:thumb_yello:

Agreed!