NEW single BOUM BOUM BOUM out June 11th!

robertina

In my opinion, it's not a question of either promotion or not.

It's the song's topic that is considered a little "scabrous" (/scandalous).

Do you really think so? I can't believe that Europe is more puritanical than the US, and that "theme" would definitely not be considered scandalous in the US!

Look at our current top 20 -- we have Jason DeRulo's "Wiggle":

You know what to do with that big fat butt

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Just a little bit of... swing

Patty cake, Patty cake

With no hands

Got me in this club making wedding plans

If I take pictures while you do your dance

I can make you famous on Instagram

Hot damn it

Your booty like two planets

Go head, and go ham sandwich

Whoa, I can't stand it

And we have "Talk Dirty to Me"

Been around the world, don't speak the language

But your booty don't need explaining

All I really need to understand is

When you talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Get jazzy on it

So I don't think it's that people are shying away from sex as a theme in their songs. :dunno:

He certainly knew it, but he (courageously) did it anyway.In Italy, they never say what is the meaning of the song and not even report what he has said in the interviews in France, such as, for example, the interview with Le Parisien.

We'll see with the video, but I really hope he remains consistent with what he said and who is he.

I'm waiting for the video, too, before I start really trying to get anyone to pay attention to it. I really think this video is going to be special. At least I hope so! And I hope it will carry the single far! :thumb_yello:

In my opinion, it's not a question of either promotion or not.

It's the song's topic that is considered a little "scabrous" (/scandalous).He certainly knew it, but he (courageously) did it anyway.In Italy, they never say what is the meaning of the song and not even report what he has said in the interviews in France, such as, for example, the interview with Le Parisien.

We'll see with the video, but I really hope he remains consistent with what he said and who is he.

We have to admire Mika's courage in using a controversial topic in his song.

I just hope that the video doesn't say something completely different.

In other words... No matter how visually stunning the video is, if he ends up with a woman in the video, he's likely to be slated for not being gay in the video.

If he ends up with a man... He will be a hero to gay people.

I know, to us fans, his being gay doesn't make any difference. But now that he's out and proud, people are aware of his sexuality. He has said the song reflects his love for his partner, so gay people, and also straight people who admire who he is and the integrity he stands for, will be disappointed if the video doesn't reflect his true self.

So I hope for a stunning video, which ends with him falling for a man. Then, it could really be important to some people, and brilliant to others. It should do really well. Even the people who don't like it, will watch it and bump up the hits. This, in turn, would help the song get higher in the charts throughout the world.

In France, I expected him to be #1!!!

Surely they are buying it. It's a great song, in their native language, and I thought they all loved Mika.

I feel so sad for him if his gamble (putting out a song in French) isn't even paying off in France!

Maybe the video will help.

tbh i won't feel very sad for him if the song isn't a success. for me, bbb isn't the direction i want his music to be going. and if a lack of success of this song shows him that it's the wrong way, this can only be good. :fisch: ok it's a two sided sword, ofc i generally want him to be successful and i don't want him to be sad if his efforts don't pay off. especially the video looks promising, really curious about it! but the song is simply not at all what i expect from his album. and tbh i'm glad my baby keeps me busy so i have an excuse for not putting time & energy in promoting the song. i've always done a lot for promoting mika, even for songs i wasn't too convinced of, like celebrate. but seriously, if i gave bbb 5 stars on amazon, i'd be lying. :dunno:

We have to admire Mika's courage in using a controversial topic in his song.

I just hope that the video doesn't say something completely different.

In other words... No matter how visually stunning the video is, if he ends up with a woman in the video, he's likely to be slated for not being gay in the video.

If he ends up with a man... He will be a hero to gay people.

I know, to us fans, his being gay doesn't make any difference. But now that he's out and proud, people are aware of his sexuality. He has said the song reflects his love for his partner, so gay people, and also straight people who admire who he is and the integrity he stands for, will be disappointed if the video doesn't reflect his true self.

So I hope for a stunning video, which ends with him falling for a man. Then, it could really be important to some people, and brilliant to others. It should do really well. Even the people who don't like it, will watch it and bump up the hits. This, in turn, would help the song get higher in the charts throughout the world.

:thumb_yello: Yes, that's exactly what I think too!

In the interviews he did for promoting Boum Boum Boum , each single interviewer was saying: This is the summer hit...and I think they don't play it enough on the radio ... I hope the video will help so more people hear it and like it :thumb_yello:

Do you really think so? I can't believe that Europe is more puritanical than the US, and that "theme" would definitely not be considered scandalous in the US!

Look at our current top 20 -- we have Jason DeRulo's "Wiggle":

You know what to do with that big fat butt

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Just a little bit of... swing

Patty cake, Patty cake

With no hands

Got me in this club making wedding plans

If I take pictures while you do your dance

I can make you famous on Instagram

Hot damn it

Your booty like two planets

Go head, and go ham sandwich

Whoa, I can't stand it

And we have "Talk Dirty to Me"

Been around the world, don't speak the language

But your booty don't need explaining

All I really need to understand is

When you talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Talk dirty to me

Get jazzy on it

So I don't think it's that people are shying away from sex as a theme in their songs. :dunno:

And do you remember "Whistle" by Flo Rida? It was a huge hit! :blink:

No, it's not the sex, it's the gay love + sex (he and his partner) that is a controversial topic.At least it is in my country, unfortunately.It can't be a mainstream or a commercial song.

I don't remember right now how many songs are there by a openly gay singer about love and sex between a gay couple.Any of you know, by any chance?I'm curious.

Edited by charlie20

tbbb isn't the direction i want his music to be going. and if a lack of success of this song shows him that it's the wrong way, this can only be good. :fisch:

I feel the same. :teehee:

But having said that I don't think its standings in the charts right now means anything. It took Elle Me Dit almost 2 months to get to #1 and if you look at the stats for any song on the charts you will see they start off low and take about 6-8 weeks to peak, with the final climb being relatively quick. I'm sure that's why they release singles far in advance of the album and why there is no rush to release the video at the same time as the single.

It is interesting to note that his presence on the Voice seems to have had zero impact however. The song will rise if it gets tons of radio play and maybe with a popular video. But that is no different to what happened in 2011. The Voice exposure hasn't changed anything. Everyone in France already knew who Mika was and either they like his music or they don't.

And do you remember "Whistle" by Flo Rida? It was a huge hit! :blink:

No, it's not the sex, it's the gay love + sex (he and his partner) that is a controversial topic.At least it is in my country, unfortunately.It can't be a mainstream or a commercial song.

I don't remember right now if a openly gay singer has ever made ​​a song talking about love and sex between a gay couple.Any of you know, by any chance?

Mario Venuti, Recidivo. It's the title track of his 2009 album but I'm not sure it was a single.

Maybe you're right, but there's nothing in the song that talks about *gay* sex, it's just sex in general. Anyone who hears the song, but doesn't know anything about Mika, isn't going to immediately say, "Hey, that song is about two guys!" :dunno:

And on the other hand, I should think that if people DID think it was about a gay couple, then the gay community would embrace it, and make it a hit. :blink:

In any case, I don't understand why it's not doing better, at least in France -- I would have thought that all the followers of the Voice would have been enough to get it to #1.

Maybe you're right, but there's nothing in the song that talks about *gay* sex, it's just sex in general. Anyone who hears the song, but doesn't know anything about Mika, isn't going to immediately say, "Hey, that song is about two guys!" :dunno:

And on the other hand, I should think that if people DID think it was about a gay couple, then the gay community would embrace it, and make it a hit. :blink:

In any case, I don't understand why it's not doing better, at least in France -- I would have thought that all the followers of the Voice would have been enough to get it to #1.

Kendji "stole" Mika's new popularity from The Voice in my opinion. First Mika's popularity was huge and many people discovered him (or discovered him a second time) with the blind auditions. But then Kendji arrived and gained more and more popularity. I'm not sure that Mika really gained new fans thanks to The Voice, it's not at all like in Italy with XF.

That's why there is no new fans to buy BBB imo. They are buying Kendji's new single instead :aah:

The only clue about the two guys is in the lyric video :thumb_yello:

It's such a happy summer song and there's a naughty lyrics tradition in France (for example Pierre Perret"Le zizi", "C'est le printemps") ( or Georges Brassens (Gare au gorille) made very popular hits with very naughty lyrics)

And it's such a catchy tune too :thumb_yello:

It's got to do better :aah:

Kendji "stole" Mika's new popularity from The Voice in my opinion. First Mika's popularity was huge and many people discovered him (or discovered him a second time) with the blind auditions. But then Kendji arrived and gained more and more popularity. I'm not sure that Mika really gained new fans thanks to The Voice, it's not at all like in Italy with XF.

That's why there is no new fans to buy BBB imo. They are buying Kendji's new single instead :aah:

I don't think Kendji stole anything. Kendji sang and Mika sat there in a butterfly suit. I think people are drawn to both of them as people because they are good looking and have sweet personalities, but when it comes to buying records people are drawn to the music.

But again I really wouldn't worry about the song at this point. I think it will rise by the end of the summer just as EMD did. And if it doesn't then I hope Mika reassesses his songwriting/strategy and his fans stop trying to find someone else to blame. He couldn't have asked for any more promotion than he's already had in France this year and it sounds like radio has predicted this song will be a hit and are playing it. So if it doesn't take off then the song does not appeal to people and that's all there is to it.

I don't think Kendji stole anything. Kendji sang and Mika sat there in a butterfly suit. I think people are drawn to both of them as people because they are good looking and have sweet personalities, but when it comes to buying records people are drawn to the music.

But again I really wouldn't worry about the song at this point. I think it will rise by the end of the summer just as EMD did. And if it doesn't then I hope Mika reassesses his songwriting/strategy and his fans stop trying to find someone else to blame. He couldn't have asked for any more promotion than he's already had in France this year and it sounds like radio has predicted this song will be a hit and are playing it. So if it doesn't take off then the song does not appeal to people and that's all there is to it.

EMD took a while too, you're right Christine :thumb_yello: And it's still played a lot , I was chasing BBB on the radio stations a week ago and they were playing EMD :naughty:

I don't think Kendji stole anything. Kendji sang and Mika sat there in a butterfly suit.

:lmfao:

I'm glad you're still around Christine, even if it is in a different role. I would have missed these kind of remarks.

Well one thing I hope Mika will take away from this, is that he should tour next year.

People in other countries (not France or Italy) do need a chance to see him, and he does need to be performing again.

I've not been against him doing the shows, but it would be bad for him if it was a regular job, because it wouldn't leave him enough time for anything else.

It's good that these shows have helped him to feel more comfortable on TV. He always used to seem shy and nervous, he doesn't anymore.

I don't mind what he wears. It's his own sense of style. He's unique, and that's good. But he just needs to get out of Italy and France for a proper tour. There's a whole world out there who he needs to connect with again.

Well one thing I hope Mika will take away from this, is that he should tour next year.

People in other countries (not France or Italy) do need a chance to see him, and he does need to be performing again.

I've not been against him doing the shows, but it would be bad for him if it was a regular job, because it wouldn't leave him enough time for anything else.

It's good that these shows have helped him to feel more comfortable on TV. He always used to seem shy and nervous, he doesn't anymore.

I don't mind what he wears. It's his own sense of style. He's unique, and that's good. But he just needs to get out of Italy and France for a proper tour. There's a whole world out there who he needs to connect with again.

I totally agree with you!:thumb_yello:

Apart from this, I'm not sure but I understood that you were expecting the bbb video to show Mika's homosexuality? Acording to me, after having heard what he said about the clip, he won't show anything (he'll be only with girls)... It made me disappointed.. I think if Mika showed his sexuality in a video clip, that would be loved by people, principaly in France, where it's a part of The news at the time.

BUMP. The cartoon vid of Boom boom Boom has reached 1 Million views:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:) Sadly without Germany but no-one cares about it:emot-sad:

I wish I knew a way around that, but I don't :dunno:

However, I am glad to read that the video's passed 1 million views! :yay:

I don't remember right now how many songs are there by a openly gay singer about love and sex between a gay couple.Any of you know, by any chance?I'm curious.

Maybe there are not that many in the mainstream sphere, but sometimes knowing the singer's sexuality does the job - I can't think of a woman when Rufus Wainwright sings "In Between My Legs" or Scissor Sisters performs "Any Which Way" :blink:

Knowing of EMD's slow escalade to the top is quite comforting. Of course things have changed, it's a different time, but MIKA is the only contemporary artist I follow this close and, if a single nowadays doesn't necessarily debuts at its peak (or reaches it in no more than 2 weeks) like ABBA in the UK or The Mamas & the Papas in the US back in their heydays, I don't see a reason not to hope for a climb.

I wish I knew a way around that, but I don't :dunno:

However, I am glad to read that the video's passed 1 million views! :yay:

The Pop duo Erasure also upload everything on Vimeo especially for their German fans and post the links on FB ( " and for our German fans ..... ") which is really nice of them.

Maybe there are not that many in the mainstream sphere, but sometimes knowing the singer's sexuality does the job - I can't think of a woman when Rufus Wainwright sings "In Between My Legs" or Scissor Sisters performs "Any Which Way" :blink:

Knowing of EMD's slow escalade to the top is quite comforting. Of course things have changed, it's a different time, but MIKA is the only contemporary artist I follow this close and, if a single nowadays doesn't necessarily debuts at its peak (or reaches it in no more than 2 weeks) like ABBA in the UK or The Mamas & the Papas in the US back in their heydays, I don't see a reason not to hope for a climb.

Exactly!

EMD is still in the top 100 french songs sold in Canada, 3 years after it has been out...

If Boum Boum Boum can get more airplay, it could have the same faith... As it took a while for the first to pick up

I totally agree with you!:thumb_yello:

Apart from this, I'm not sure but I understood that you were expecting the bbb video to show Mika's homosexuality? Acording to me, after having heard what he said about the clip, he won't show anything (he'll be only with girls)... It made me disappointed.. I think if Mika showed his sexuality in a video clip, that would be loved by people, principaly in France, where it's a part of The news at the time.

I wasn't meaning for the video to be explicit about it, just maybe a look, something like that.

It's just that he's been more active in his involvement with the gay movement. They are starting to look up to him.

The song isn't openly gay. It does work either way as a song about two lovers. But Mika has talked about his relationship with another man, more openly than ever before.

For me, personally, his video can involve only girls. I know he's acting a role and playing a character. It's not really Mika he's only the actor.

But I worry that not everyone will see it that way, and my concern is about him possibility being slated for being straight in his video, when in reality, he's gay.

In the MYH video, there were comments about the fact that there was only one gay couple, who weren't very prominent in the video.

It's just that I don't want anyone to be slating Mika. I don't want anyone to have any excuse to do so. I want this video to help him become popular again. That's all I really mean.

However, the video ought to reflect who Mika really is, and making a gay statement would be controversial, but would also gain him enormous respect.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin