Album News: "No Place In Heaven" to be Released 15/16 June 2015!

dcdeb

A review from Wax On Tape: http://waxontape.tumblr.com/post/127625074566/mika-2015-no-place-in-heaven-8510

MIKA - 2015 - NO PLACE IN HEAVEN [8.5/10]

tumblr_inline_nton1bmmpe1ts5p2c_500.png

British singer-songwriter had nothing to lose when he coyly admitted to the public that he is of a certain sexual orientation, something I don’t think anybody was truly shocked by. After two brightly painted pop albums, Life in Cartoon Motion and The Boy Who Knew Too Much, it seemed ridiculous to be shying away from the obvious. Perhaps just as ridiculous as caring about it in the first place. The experience, in turn, seems to have sobered him a bit. The release of The Origin of Love, Mika’s third album, marked a sharp change in Mika’s sound. There are still bright colors and textures to be found, but it plays a bit more serious than one may have expected. In between that record’s moments of off-the-wall flamboyance, there are experiments with dark electronic beats, male choirs, and French lyrics. It’s a culmination of his previous work and where he would go in the future. Although that album will always hold a very special place in my heart, it is Mika’s latest release, No Place in Heaven, that has made me a bona fide fan. Although nowhere close to ground-breaking or experimental, No Place in Heaven remains an effort in consistency and refinement. He merely nods to his popular debut here, winking at his former self while remaining squarely in the middle of his present. Unlike on Origin, There’s very little in the way of prediction or romanticizing the future.

For the first time in his career, Mika does not push himself beyond the boundaries of what some might consider to be good taste. Although he still knows how to right a decent pop song, as evidenced by “Oh Girl You’re the Devil,” it seems the songwriter has, quite frankly, grown up a bit. If Origin played as a “fresh-faced gay boy in the city” album, No Place in Heavenis the sound of a gay man coming to terms with any disappointment or disillusionment. On the record cover, painted towers flair around a photograph of Mika in a palette of warm greys. It’s sober, but not cold or hopeless. If ever a jacket were aptly designed, it would be that for No Place in Heaven, an album on which Mika croons about the stress of life and the loss of love. “Last Party” and “Ordinary Man” flex the singer’s muscle for melody while lyrically confronting the pain in the passage of the time. He’s managed to tap into a place that pays homage to Noel Coward, Kander & Ebb, and Cole Porter without ripping them off— no easy feat.

Not every song on No Place in Heaven is a winner— “All She Wants” feels better suited for a previous album, and “Staring at the Sun” disappoints. But the misses on Heaven are strongly overshadowed by the strong lyricism and production found everywhere else. The album plays as Mika’s leanest and most focused project to date. He’s established certain lines and learned from his experiences as an artist who’s not fighting for the top of the charts. If there’s something I can appreciate about Mika, it’s that he doesn’t pander or try too hard. He knows, roughly, who he is and puts that boldly on the record. For those looking for a good romp and a dance party, this is not your album. “Talk About You,” with it’s perfect, sugary hook and passionate delivery, may mislead you into thinking this is a record made for a strut down the catwalk. But Heaven has an overarching narrative describing one’s life during the stages of romance and heartbreak. By the time the record hits material like “Hurts,” the listener is left with nothing but chills— in fact, this may be his best song yet.

No Place in Heaven is an album fit for a plane ride to someplace far, far away. It’s an album for the living room around dusk. It’s not a booty-shaker; it’s not mopey; it’s not as theatrical as one might expect. The album is Mika distilled down to his greatest elements and talents. For anybody who previously disliked Mika, this may be the album to change your mind; for anybody who loved Mika before, it will be hard not to find Heaven his most endearing, honest work yet.

tumblr_inline_nton15r0191ts5p2c_400.png

:thumb_yello: Aaaww - this's so fantastic!! :wub:  Thanks a lot for sharing it Chris! :hug: Like Nina I LOVE the last sentence... :teehee:  

Love,love

me

• Like 1

Love it too... So which one of you wrote it? :D

:naughty: Thanks Catherine,  for making me aware of my mistake! :teehee: I'm in a hurry here, to get everything ready, before I leave the office for the rest of this week.  Sorry Chris & Nina, for mixing up your comments, but I'm sure you don't mind it - I think we're equally happy today,  because of this "true and positive" review for NPIH ... :wub:

Anyway,  I'll follow MFC with my Iphone... :wink2:

Love,love

me

:naughty: Thanks Catherine, for making me aware of my mistake! :teehee: I'm in a hurry here, to get everything ready, before I leave the office for the rest of this week. Sorry Chris & Nina, for mixing up your comments, but I'm sure you don't mind it - I think we're equally happy today, because of this "true and positive" review for NPIH ... :wub:

Anyway, I'll follow MFC with my Iphone... :wink2:

Love,love

me

I didn't even noticed the switch...

I was rather jokingly asking who wrote this review and uploaded it under another name...

• Like 1

Had an email from mikasounds.com to say the vinyl LP is out of stock !!  How can it be out of stock already?  How hard can it be to count how many orders there are and produce enough copies?

:blowup:

Edited by silver

Had an email from mikasounds.com to say the vinyl LP is out of stock !!  How can it be out of stock already?  How hard can it be to count how many orders there are and produce enough copies?

:blowup:

The album sales seem to be handled really badly by whoever is in charge. I'm sure he'd get more sales if they made certain the records (cds and vinyls) were available to buy.

Sorry to hear the vinyl is out of stock :( There will be more available later for everyone interested?

I managed to get mine via Amazon Italy and it's absolutely beautiful and worth buying! Just the cover is worth money, imo. Looks amazing and lovely to hold, proper cardboard, not shiny at all. Now I just need to take out my record player, haven't used it for a long time.

NOT happy OR impressed by the vinyl being out of stock. 

It's been nearly 9 years now, and these mistakes shouldn't be happening anymore, these are rookie mistakes being made by people who should know how things are done now.

And the rude silence whenever questions are asked about things like this happening, it's totally unprofessional. There is NO excuse for it, 

They may be getting frustrated by constantly being asked questions, but it's not nearly as frustrating as having to ask them in the first place.

Edited by RAK1

It's been nearly 9 years now, and these mistakes shouldn't be happening anymore, these are rookie mistakes being made by people who should know how things are done now.

And the rude silence whenever questions are asked about things like this happening, it's totally unprofessional. There is NO excuse for it, 

They may be getting frustrated by constantly being asked questions, but it's not nearly as frustrating as having to ask them in the first place.

I agree completely.

Not Mika related but I don't know if you read about what Bon Jovi had to say about his record company. They are parting after 32 years because he was tired of having to explain himself to the people who kept changing in the company. Now, if a major artist like Bon Jovi can't get what he wants, I can't imagine what it could be like for artist like Mika...

I guess they didn't expect the vinyl to be that successful :/

• Like 3

I also got a very confusing email.Now I have no idea if I have to wait,or place another order. I already sent them my question,but I doubt I'll get an answer... It's like talking to a robot  :sneaky2:  

:thumbdown:

I also got a very confusing email.Now I have no idea if I have to wait,or place another order. I already sent them my question,but I doubt I'll get an answer... It's like talking to a robot  :sneaky2:  

my email told me if I still want to have the LP I should do nothing but wait and they will tell me when it´s shipped. So I will wait.....

It's a very badly worded email, but I think you just have to wait until it is in stock again and they will let you know when they have shipped it

my email told me if I still want to have the LP I should do nothing but wait and they will tell me when it´s shipped. So I will wait.....

It's a very badly worded email, but I think you just have to wait until it is in stock again and they will let you know when they have shipped it

Thank you for your answers! So I'll just wait then...  :wait:   

Thank you for your answers! So I'll just wait then...  :wait:   

:hug:

It just occured to me that we should have a "mikasoon" smiley because it would come in handy in many circumstances :teehee:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3

:hug:

It just occured to me that we should have a "mikasoon" smiley because it would come in handy in many circumstances :teehee:

Most circumstances, really :naughty:

Maybe we should have a competition to design one :fisch:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...