Keep It Simple - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

23 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Me from the beginning I heard "come, comfort me" :lol3:

Yes, me too! I think that IS what he says there. Hopefully after tonight's show we'll know for sure!

• Like 6

So, from my recording at yesterday's show I think it might be "catch a break, just get to me" - do you say "catch a break" for taking a break? I haven't heard the expression, but it wouldn't be the only expression in this song that I heard for the first time. 😅 Then it'd make sense, also relating to the symbols in the background artwork. From this artwork I'm wondering, maybe we're thinking too much along the lines of Jimmy and Mary Jane, while it's in fact a song about Burnout? :dunno_grin:

Anyway I can't think much today, too tired. :sleep:

• Like 2

It Is a mystery 😂 i think It might be something you can take from someone and give to someone, so i think It Is a physical object, because i see that when Mika sings this part he makes the gesture of catching something in the air and than he makes the gesture of giving this to another Person, so for me the words catch and Chuck are the most probable. The mystery remains the Word Between the Two verbs, according to me from his gestures It Is something concrete or abstract but that you can metaphorically take and give. Obviously It Is Only my opinion seeing the video and his gestures 

Edited by peroalessandra
  • Like 2

Or maybe It could be catch a break , Chuck It to me but referring Chuck not to break but to the following phrase: Any medicine. It could explain everything: the gestures he makes in his performance and also the lyrics on vianney' s video (It Is an official video so i don' t think It could be wrong). So for me Is: catch a break (he makes the gesture of catching something in the air metaphorically as if a break could be something concrete), chuck It to me (but not referring to break but to any medicine you give me i' m taking that follows) (this explain why he makes the gesture of giving something to someone). Could It be possibile ?

• Like 3

And maybe he says catch a break instead od take a break (more typical) because he does not want to repeat the verb take (because After he says any medicine you give me i m taking). It Is Only a theory. We Will see if It can be possible

Edited by peroalessandra
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, mellody said:

do you say "catch a break" for taking a break? I haven't heard the expression

"Catch a break" is an expression but it doesn't mean taking a break from something. It's often used when someone is exasperated with a situation that isn't going their way so a person might say "why can't I catch a break?", meaning "when are things going to go right for me?"

I guess that could relate to the song with how they're singing about wanting love and comfort, maybe because of a stressful situation? :dunno_grin:

• Like 6

For me this song is about communication (or communication problems) between two persons being together but they can't expresse their feelings. So the other one feels lost because he is expecting something to be said or done and it's not.

I don't involve here this refrain about Jimmy and Mary Jane :bleh:

Person 1 (Mika) can't sleep and is looking for person 2 (Vianney)  to help him because he doesn't want to take ... something... to feel better  (well, sex can be one of good ideas :wink2:  )

Then person 2 replies

Oh, so maybe I am the problem?

When I suffer I don't want to talk about it. 

When you are in love and you can't express your feelings you can end up alone.

Person 1

Let's don't complicate our lives, I will take (accept)  anything from you

Person 2

We are building walls around our emotions

Yes, sometimes people do this

But all in all when you are suffering your soul becomes a mess

Person 1

Let's don't complicate our lives, I will take (accept) anything from you

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, mellody said:

So, from my recording at yesterday's show I think it might be "catch a break, just get to me" - do you say "catch a break" for taking a break? I haven't heard the expression, but it wouldn't be the only expression in this song that I heard for the first time. 😅 Then it'd make sense, also relating to the symbols in the background artwork. From this artwork I'm wondering, maybe we're thinking too much along the lines of Jimmy and Mary Jane, while it's in fact a song about Burnout? :dunno_grin:

Anyway I can't think much today, too tired. :sleep:

As @TinyLove_CJ said, "catch a break" isn't used for taking a break, as much as it is "having some luck." I could see from Mika's gestures when performing the song at the Pieces Jaunes show that he is "catching" something, and what he says after sounds more like "pitch it to me," which would make sense. So I guess it could be "catch a break, pitch it to me," but I'm still not convinced. (Why am I like this? Why am I obsessing over this phrase? LOL)

Anyhow, I did really enjoy hearing the song sung live, it is just so darn catchy! I can't stop listening to it.  :fisch:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

As @TinyLove_CJ said, "catch a break" isn't used for taking a break, as much as it is "having some luck." I could see from Mika's gestures when performing the song at the Pieces Jaunes show that he is "catching" something, and what he says after sounds more like "pitch it to me," which would make sense. So I guess it could be "catch a break, pitch it to me," but I'm still not convinced. (Why am I like this? Why am I obsessing over this phrase? LOL)

Anyhow, I did really enjoy hearing the song sung live, it is just so darn catchy! I can't stop listening to it.  :fisch:

It is :swoon:I love it :cloud:and Mika was so living his song during his performance :mikalove:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, silver said:

From his gestures in the song he's catching something small and flicking it.  Not that it helps with the words

Something small like a piece of Brie, right? :teehee:

• Haha 5

Maybe some different word for pill? That'd make the most sense if he's catching sth tiny and singing about medicine. :dunno_grin: Although the thing that makes the most sense isn't necessarily what we can expect from Mika. :naughty: 

In any case, maybe Mika saw about our Brie troubles :teehee: (Deb had reposted my IG story about it, so he might not even have needed to read all our silly theories in this thread :naughty:), he seemed to take care to pronounce this part extra clearly. :wub2: Hopefully in the professional recording on Saturday we'll finally find out.

However, in the recorded version it still sounds like Brie - maybe he was hungry and dreaming of a cheese sandwich while recording this. :naughty: Or the word we're looking for is sth that can be pronounced like "Brie" as well as "break", depending on the local accent. 🤔

And why are we so obsessed with this line? Because it's so great that we finally have new music to talk about! :wub2: Very thoughtful of Mika to give us sth that keeps us busy, while waiting for album & tour news. :biggrin2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

In the documentary with PIF he said that what is annoying him the most about getting older is the prostate issues when you wake up in the night every 15 minutes to go to pee 🤣🤣🤣🤣

yes .. poor Mika :lol:

• Haha 2

Ohh I didn't know that's what "catching a break" meant. I've often heard "I can't seem to catch a break" but I always assumed the person was complaining about their workload not a lack of luck.

Edutainment indeed! :D

But if that's a saying I don't find it impossible anymore that those are the actual lyrics. It could mean "I really need some luck so if you find some, please pass it on to me". I know it sounds strange but he often invents his own (more or less sensical) sayings or plays around with already existing ones.

And in the live version from the gala I do hear the word "break" as opposed to the recording where he was clearly hungry for cheese.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

In the documentary with PIF he said that what is annoying him the most about getting older is the prostate issues when you wake up in the night every 15 minutes to go to pee 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hmm, I might have to rewatch that (such a chore :teehee:). I thought he said that he was worried about the effects of ageing on the body's mechanics, eg like having to get up so often to pee, as opposed to being worried about the aesthetics of aging, which he believes can be done well. Not that he was actually having to get up to pee so much.  

:offtopic:Damn, I was so engrossed in typing that, I missed my bus! :aah: 

Edited by Hero
  • Haha 2