2024 - Mika @ Eventim Apollo, London, UK, 9 April

mellody

27 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And what if you you buy a paper with a flowers patterns to distribute to fans for writing their messages on it?

I think about printed paper blocks or origami paper where one side is printed and the other side is plein so you can write on it.

When we fold several sheets and put them to a box, they will "jump out" like the flowers Mika is preparing to "vomit" from his piano during the show.

Here are examples found on French Amazon. 48 and 60 sheets in a pack.

image.thumb.png.94c4a3b00aa77c40ba75ad52035f9132.png

image.thumb.png.ddfd3e30c1b23f2c719c400c7c783d4f.png

This has given me the BEST idea ever, i shall draw it out properly tomorrow and do a test in my workshop and explain it in the afternoon. It combines both box and 3d flower

• Like 4

16 hours ago, goose said:

I want to make sure it's not to big and easy to travel with (for Mika's sake)

He seems to have a house in the UK tho now, maybe he will go there after the London gig, so he can take it there with him. :naughty:

Anyway, I'm curious what you'll come up with. :original: I won't be in London very long this time, probably less than 24 hours altogether, but I hope I manage to take part.

• Like 2

Spoiler

20240128_151446.thumb.jpg.83eedbd786a31334daddb0a1eb035749.jpg20240128_151433.thumb.jpg.f8b76c554f4e4497d81098f9007a085a.jpg20240128_151304.thumb.jpg.4845746d48eee9d7062c1f9a3204ed68.jpg

Okay, I've done a quick sketch of my idea. I've got to practice my dovetails a bit (I got really good at them about 6 months ago but haven't had a project requiring them since) but I think this is quite a good combination of both handmade flower and box. The part where the flowers sit can be removed to reveal a box underneath. Origami paper can be folded quite easily so lots of people can get involved. I made a mock up of one of the flowers (I had hardly any time to make it and no pattern so the joints aren't fabulous but it's just so you can get an idea of it). On the drawing the tulips are dark pink but I think a lighter pink would be better (I didn't have the right pencil colour to hand). Obviously the final product will be beautifully sanded and the joints will be properly measured 😁 I'll attach some photos, lmk what you think! I put it as a spoiler because I don't want to ruin the surprise...

Edited by goose
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, goose said:

Reveal hidden contents

20240128_151446.thumb.jpg.83eedbd786a31334daddb0a1eb035749.jpg20240128_151433.thumb.jpg.f8b76c554f4e4497d81098f9007a085a.jpg20240128_151304.thumb.jpg.4845746d48eee9d7062c1f9a3204ed68.jpg

Okay, I've done a quick sketch of my idea. I've got to practice my dovetails a bit (I got really good at them about 6 months ago but haven't had a project requiring them since) but I think this is quite a good combination of both handmade flower and box. The part there the flowers sit can be removed to reveal a box underneath. Origami paper can be folded quite easily so lots of people can get involved. I made a mock up of one of the flowers (I had hardly any time to make it and no pattern so the joints aren't fabulous but it's just so you can get an idea of it). On the drawing the tulips are dark pink but I think a lighter pink would be better (I didn't have the right pencil colour to hand). Obviously the final product will be beautifully sanded and the joints will be properly measured 😁 I'll attach some photos, lmk what you think! I put it as a spoiler because I don't want to ruin the surprise...

Great idea, I'm sure it's going to look beautiful and Mika is going to love it. :fangurl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

Hide contents

Okay, I've done a quick sketch of my idea. I've got to practice my dovetails a bit (I got really good at them about 6 months ago but haven't had a project requiring them since) but I think this is quite a good combination of both handmade flower and box. The part there the flowers sit can be removed to reveal a box underneath. Origami paper can be folded quite easily so lots of people can get involved. I made a mock up of one of the flowers (I had hardly any time to make it and no pattern so the joints aren't fabulous but it's just so you can get an idea of it). On the drawing the tulips are dark pink but I think a lighter pink would be better (I didn't have the right pencil colour to hand). Obviously the final product will be beautifully sanded and the joints will be properly measured 😁 I'll attach some photos, lmk what you think! I put it as a spoiler because I don't want to ruin the surprise...

It's a very interesting project, Elisabeth. You are very talented, really. I think that the final effect will be beautiful. And this "surprise" element - wow! I am crossing my fingers for everything goes as you wish :crossed:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mellody said:

I won't be in London very long this time, probably less than 24 hours altogether, but I hope I manage to take part.

I probably won't be there long either. We will get there in the afternoon/lunch time ish but I think I'll have time to arrange all the letters like in Bristol 😁

20 hours ago, mellody said:

He seems to have a house in the UK tho

Also, good point, it's mostly the venue that might have a problem with it, hopefully not though.

14 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And this "surprise" element - wow! I am crossing my fingers for everything goes as you wish 

I'm excited to give it a go. The actual design isn't very complicated but it will look complicated. Now that I know I can make the flowers, I feel pretty confident that it will work! I'll give myself a month to work on my dovetails and make it at the beginning of March.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, goose said:

it's mostly the venue that might have a problem with it, hopefully not though.

This is unfortunately possible, as it may be seen as an object that you may not take inside, as it can be weaponized when you throw it on stage (that’s how security thinks at venues).

How were they about it in Bristol though? Did you show security and explained it to them? They seemed very accommodating overall from the footage I’ve seen! When I saw the videos how they walked with you to the barrier (making sure no one was running), that’s a dream! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This is unfortunately possible, as it may be seen as an object that you may not take inside, as it can be weaponized when you throw it on stage (that’s how security thinks at venues).

We have seated tickets - although I guess that could be seen as more of a threat. I can contact them before and if they say yes I can get that in writing to show when security checks it. They might want to hold onto it during the show just in case? That could be a bit risky though in case they lose it but thats alright. I can also show them exactly how it's made, I always make a super indepth step by step write up of each job/piece I make/do. Plus I can explain that we did a similar thing at Bristol and talk with them about that.

28 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

How were they about it in Bristol though?

I was very lucky in Bristol. They were very relaxed, I explained it to them and they wanted to have a flick through of all the letters to make sure nothing was concealed. I had the more expensive tickets so no idea if that made a difference. We held onto it in a rucksack during the show (it was nicely bubble wrapped). When we were let backstage they had a list of names and everyone was very calm. I was holding it but no one checked it at that point. I was sat next to where his photographer and personal assistant were standing. They said they liked it and then I gave it to him🤷🏼‍♀️. Everyone was really calm and allowed eachother time.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, goose said:

We have seated tickets - although I guess that could be seen as more of a threat. I can contact them before and if they say yes I can get that in writing to show when security checks it. They might want to hold onto it during the show just in case? That could be a bit risky though in case they lose it but thats alright. I can also show them exactly how it's made, I always make a super indepth step by step write up of each job/piece I make/do. Plus I can explain that we did a similar thing at Bristol and talk with them about that.

Well, if you talk with security some time before the show and they don't agree to let you in with the box maybe as a plan B someone can put it in her/his car (if parked near the venue) or leave it in a hotel room (if near the venue) ? And right after the show bring the box back...

Well, just an idea... 

But if a miracle happens and Mika agrees for a Meet and Greet, it is not a good plan B.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Well, if you talk with security some time before the show and they don't agree to let you in with the box maybe as a plan B someone can put it in her/his car (if parked near the venue) or leave it in a hotel room (if near the venue) ? And right after the show bring the box back...

Well, just an idea... 

But if a miracle happens and Mika agrees for a Meet and Greet, it is not a good plan B.

Yes, or give Mika backstage.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, goose said:

I probably won't be there long either. We will get there in the afternoon/lunch time ish but I think I'll have time to arrange all the letters like in Bristol 😁

Also, good point, it's mostly the venue that might have a problem with it, hopefully not though.

I'm excited to give it a go. The actual design isn't very complicated but it will look complicated. Now that I know I can make the flowers, I feel pretty confident that it will work! I'll give myself a month to work on my dovetails and make it at the beginning of March.

It looks great, Elizabeth! Definitely something that Mika will appreciate!

11 hours ago, goose said:

I was very lucky in Bristol. They were very relaxed, I explained it to them and they wanted to have a flick through of all the letters to make sure nothing was concealed. I had the more expensive tickets so no idea if that made a difference. We held onto it in a rucksack during the show (it was nicely bubble wrapped). When we were let backstage they had a list of names and everyone was very calm. I was holding it but no one checked it at that point. I was sat next to where his photographer and personal assistant were standing. They said they liked it and then I gave it to him🤷🏼‍♀️. Everyone was really calm and allowed eachother time.

Well, the other advantage in Bristol is that we knew all about it in advance, and that Mika's personal assistant was there. That's what makes meet & greets and things like getting gifts to Mika a lot easier in London. We have such a longstanding relationship, things usually (I emphasize USUALLY) go a lot more smoothly there. And conversely that's why sometimes doing things elsewhere can be more complicated/difficult. 

My advice would be to not say anything to the venue about it yet. Let's see what happens once the tour starts -- we'll see if Mika makes a habit of coming out to greet fans after the shows, for one thing. And I'll be in touch with Mika's team, so we'll be able to figure whether any kind of meet & greet will be possible, and if not, what the surest way to get the box to Mika will be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dcdeb said:

My advice would be to not say anything to the venue about it yet. Let's see what happens once the tour starts -- we'll see if Mika makes a habit of coming out to greet fans after the shows, for one thing. And I'll be in touch with Mika's team, so we'll be able to figure whether any kind of meet & greet will be possible, and if not, what the surest way to get the box to Mika will be.

Thank you, sounds good! I need to make it first anyway😁. I'm looking forward to the tour starting! 

• Like 1

This night an idea for a fan action came to me.

I think about small flags of countries the fans come from. Paper or fabric made of.

I mean small flags (not bigger than A4 format and without a stick of course!).

I had this idea - which is not new - and then it recalled me this situation which happened years ago in the UK when Mika sung one of his French songs and he heard one English fan complaining about it. It hurt Mika a lot. But at the end of the concert fans prepared this fan action with international flags. 

So this time Mika will sing several (a bigger part) songs in French and it would be a great parabola joining these two gigs after so many years. Now he has been invited to the UK to sing in French!

London is this special place where fans from all over the world come so if we bring our flags it should make a big effect.

And (I think) people will not throw them on the floor after the concert so no problem with leaving garbage in the venue.

And I thought about the song Passager for this fan action.

image.png.a3a34aa3ef31a506aae1451ee553b557.png

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

This night an idea for a fan action came to me.

I think about small flags of countries the fans come from. Paprer or fabric made of.

I mean small flags (not bigger than A4 format and without a stick of course!).

I had this idea - which is not new - and then it recalled me this situation which happened years ago in the UK when Mika sung one of his French songs and he heard one English fan complaining about it. It hurt Mika a lot. But at the end of the concert fans prepared this fan action with international flags. 

So this time Mika will sing several (a bigger part) songs in French and it would be a great parabola joining these two gigs after so many years. Now he has been invited to the UK to sing in French!

London is this special place where fans from all over the world come so if we bring our flags it should make a big effect.

And (I think) people will not throw them on the floor after the concert so no problem with leaving garbage in the venue.

I like the idea, and also it fits well to Passager. I was there at the gig in 2015 and helped to prepare the flags fanaction, it was @Sabine64's idea back then... we just printed the flags on A4 paper, and we printed some more and distributed them at the MFC party and I think some also at the venue. There were separate flags for England, Scotland, Wales, and also the UK flag, so those from the UK could choose which one they prefer and it would be a bit more divers.

I just hope he does sing Passager in London, he might exchange some of the French songs for English ones - but I'm sure there'll be some French ones. I guess we'll know after the first few UK gigs which ones he'll keep on the setlist.

I finally got my colour printer to work again, so I'll be able to help printing flags.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

image.png.a3a34aa3ef31a506aae1451ee553b557.png

3 hours ago, mellody said:

... we just printed the flags on A4 paper, and we printed some more and distributed them at the MFC party and I think some also at the venue. There were separate flags for England, Scotland, Wales, and also the UK flag, so those from the UK could choose which one they prefer and it would be a bit more divers.

It's a lovely idea! I'm tempted to get some cloth scraps and sew a flag so it can be part of my gig kit.

I'm just not sure I want to do a UK or English flag... not overly keen on either. Hmm. Maybe a flag of the globe. :mf_rosetinted: 🌍 

• Like 4

Because Mika is working on a new concept for this tour, I'd be tempted to wait and see what he is doing before setting up any fan actions.

At least we will have time to grow our moustaches :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, AmelieCharlotte said:

Hello, long time away... I am so excited for Manchester & London. Whereabouts are you all staying? I'm at the Premier Inn on Shepherds Bush Road in London & Travelodge Brook St in Manchester.

I'm staying at the same Premier Inn for the London gig.

• Like 1

I have a seated ticket booked, so i'm wondering do people think it's necessary for me to arrive really early to queue or can I get away with arriving 45-30 minutes before the show like I do for other concerts/shows I go to? I'm only asking as this is the biggest gig i've been to and I hear about people queuing for ages.

11 minutes ago, tgwktm said:

I have a seated ticket booked, so i'm wondering do people think it's necessary for me to arrive really early to queue or can I get away with arriving 45-30 minutes before the show like I do for other concerts/shows I go to? I'm only asking as this is the biggest gig i've been to and I hear about people queuing for ages.

If you have seated ticket, arriving 30-45 minutes for the gig should be fine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tgwktm said:

You shouldn't need to queue for long (really depends on how long ticket/security checks take).  The people who queue for a long time are the ones going for the standing area;  they queue early to get a place near the front.  Obviously with a numbered seat you don't have that to think about.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 10:02 PM, silver said:

Because Mika is working on a new concept for this tour, I'd be tempted to wait and see what he is doing before setting up any fan actions.

At least we will have time to grow our moustaches :mf_rosetinted:

So I'm thinking flowers, feathers, and floral pyjamas

• Like 2
  • Haha 1