New single: Jane Birkin, 17 November 2023

mellody

On 11/21/2023 at 11:37 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I love the new lyric video for Jane Birkin so much! I love the simplicity of the animation, it actually makes me want to draw in that style. In a way I find it inspiring, another intention of the lyrics I think.

I really can't help but sing along to this when it comes on, the lyric video helps but I don't think I'll be learning French any time soon 😅

I love it too. :wub2: My fave bit is the "Moi" in the open cage, kinda sums up the lyrics. What I don't understand tho is the book / reading for "tant pis", does anyone know how this is connected?

Btw I realized there can be different interpretations of these lines

On 11/21/2023 at 1:27 AM, Kumazzz said:

Cette nuit, j'suis un enfant qui danse

J'suis un homme qui s'oublie

Tant pis si mes bras se balancent

Tu te moques et tu ris

I guess that's why @carafon interpreted it such a different way than I did. It could be about achieving what he dreams of, not caring if others laugh about him. That's where I understand that the translation "nevermind" makes sense, he feels free to do what he wants in this scenario. "Even if you laugh, I don't care". But the way I understood it at first (and kinda makes more sense to me in the context of the song, which is all about NOT feeling free and wishing it was different) was that even if he manages to forget himself for a while, people still find something to laugh about (or at least he's worried that might happen), so he can't feel free. That's where "too bad" would make more sense. Would it be a "too bad if my arms swing, because then you mock me and laugh" or rather a "too bad that you mock me and laugh if my arms swing"? In German the 2nd one would be a very valid sentence construction, but not sure if you'd do that in French. :teehee:

• Like 3

Do you think there will be a music video for Jane Birkin as well? It's my absolute favourite from the 3 songs already released, I can't explain how but it makes me feel so many emotions at the same time, I feel my heart is about to explode every time I listen to it :lol3:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tori13 said:

Do you think there will be a music video for Jane Birkin as well? It's my absolute favourite from the 3 songs already released, I can't explain how but it makes me feel so many emotions at the same time, I feel my heart is about to explode every time I listen to it :lol3:

I feel the same way, and I haven’t felt that way about a song in a while 🥰 I feel that there will be a music video since his singles usually seem to have videos that go with them.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tori13 said:

There's a lyric video by now. We'll see if there will be  a music video soon. :dunno_grin:

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So after the 20h30, the L'invit and the Star Academy performances I've noticed a strange pattern: he performs the song live 1 semitone higher. It's strange for me because most of the time singers (MIKA as well) perform their harder songs in lower keys to make it easier to sing (like nowadays Grace Kelly, Love Today, Happy Ending...) so it's uncommon to sing a song higher in live performances but I have to say, I prefer the higher key, so it's a really good choice by MIKA. But it's still uncommon :lmfao:

• Like 2

Maybe it's easier for him to sing it that way? Or for Max?

I suddenly thought today, this "parfois beaucoup trop grand, parfois beaucoup trop petit" reminds me of the Tiny Love video:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-06 um 21.09.37.png

I wonder if there's a connection?

• Like 4

Jane Birkin and Mika at Le Grand Journal in January 2007.

A short clip from Ca Vous on 7 December 2023,

https://youtu.be/qx1UTirdNAQ?si=r3s8qxAnJUvrbIc8&t=1086

Translation in 2007 by @Pamette

Mika : Yeah! There are all my friends, there is my mother in the video.

MD : It seems your mother has the same voice that Jane Birkin.

Mika : Exactly ! I sent a sms. I wrote « You won’t believe what is happening » I lived in Paris for 8 years and my mother has nearly the same accent that you have. Every time we called a restaurant, we always had the best place because everybody though it was you.

MD : Jane, how do you find this music ?

Jane Birkin : It makes me happy. It brings some energy.

AM : You listened to it before the emisson.

JB : Yes. It removed all my nervousness which is a very big thing. They must spread your songs before surgical operations. Before coming here, there’s a very nice girl who tells us that everything will be allright. It’s like someone will cut you but everything will be ok. We must spred you before every distressing thing. Mika, the remedy.

On 9/27/2007 at 6:12 PM, Pamette said:

Le grand journal, Canal + (January, 2007)http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/mika+le+grand+journal/video/x1cv74_mika-au-grand-journal-canal-plus_blog

Michel Denisot : We receive the new genius of music : Mika !

*Relax*

MD : It’s an unbelievable story, the story of Mika. This music, everybody who watches us knows it because it has been spreaded here for 15 days. We have never received so many e-mails before to know where this music comes from.

Tania : Where Mika comes from ? Mika comes from Beirut

Mica : I’m Lebanese and American.

Tania : And he grew between Paris and London.

Mica : Exactly.

Tania : A little bit like a hippy *Mika giggles* He left school very early because he was a little marginalized and he began lessons of singing with a very strict Russian teacher. It was very useful because after he sang opera …..

MD : You made publicity spots in England for some chewing gums.

Mica : I did opera and publicity spots.

Tania : When he was 11, he went to the record companies without have saying it to his mother. Is it true ? *Mika giggles* C’est pas bien. He was precocious and now there is LICM which will be released on February, 5th.

MD : Record companies in which you sent demos, everybody wanted to sign you.

Mica : Not always. Everybody thought my songs were a lit bit strange…

Tania : They are not strange. We’re gonna listen to Relax that everybody has known here for 2 weeks now. We listen to it and you’ll tell us after if it’s strange or not.

*Relax*

Tania : What is strange ? The voice ?

Mica : The way I sing and I wanted so much control everything, it took much time to find a record company which give me help but also the control I wanted to have.

Laurent Viel : To be totally independant…

Mica : I want to control everything. That’s a problem.

Ariane : You produce.

Mica : I co-produced. I write.

Ariane: You do everything alone.

Mica: No but I like controlling a bit.

Tania : And you control your voice. The fact that we compare you with Freddie Mercury it flatters you ?

Mica : It’s a little bit difficult because he’s a genius and it’s a lot of pressure being compared with him. It’s a honour. But thanks to you, I heard that Relax is number 3 of the downloads. Thank you. It’s unbelievable.

MD : We gave the name of Jane’s bag which comes from a big brand, Hermès. There are the Jane Birkin’s bag and also the Kelly’s bag…

Mica: Exactly.

MD: …Because of Grace Kelly and the title

Mica : When I came back, I said to my sister « Do you see her bag ? It’s true ! » Yes ! I have a song whose name is Grace Kelly

MD : It was your grand mother’s idol.

Mica : Exactly and I was working with a record company in London 2 years ago and they listened to my demos and they said “You’re great BUT to make records you have to write songs like everybody. Why not writing a song like Robbie Williams” or I don’t know, the artists who had success like Craig David. I was furious because it wasn’t the first time and I came back home and I said ok I’ll write a song like a message, like a vengeance. You want me to be like Craig David, I will be like Grace Kelly.

You always want to give me a contract and they didn’t call me back. 2 years later, it’s me who laughs.

*Grace Kelly*

MD : The first album of Mika. You have the taste of the scenarios. There’s a scenario quite developed in the music video.

Mica : Yeah! There are all my friends, there is my mother in the video.

MD : It seems your mother has the same voice that Jane Birkin.

Mica : Exactly ! I sent a sms. I wrote « You won’t believe what is happening » I lived in Paris for 8 years and my mother has nearly the same accent that you have. Every time we called a restaurant, we always had the best place because everybody though it was you.

MD : Jane, how do you find this music ?

Jane Birkin : It makes me happy. It brings some energy.

AM : You listened to it before the emisson.

JB : Yes. It removed all my nervousness which is a very big thing. They must spread your songs before surgical operations. Before coming here, there’s a very nice girl who tells us that everything will be allright. It’s like someone will cut you but everything will be ok. We must spred you before every distressing thing. Mika, the remedy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know where to ask this question so I'll leave it here. :confused:

Screenshot_20231211-235605.thumb.png.92651c1a872e2158cf00380d8cff6210.png

I was checking out Mika's new merchandise on their official website, and I discovered this notebook, my question is: What exactly is this little book? I mean... what is its content or if they are leaves  Blank to write or what do you think it is? I'm kind of lost :blink:

Aid :flowers2:

On 12/3/2023 at 12:47 PM, Svampsoppa said:

@Péhl Tamás Can you just hear the higher key? wow:blink: I noticed it when I tried to play along. 

But the reason???? Maybe Mika and the band thought (the same as you did) that the higher version sounds better.

yes, I can :D I'm a musician as a hobby, I play the piano and the guitar and also attended music school when I was younger to learn music theory as well (although I've forgotten a lot :lmfao:). I love music and it's my life and that's why I adore MIKA as much as I do because he's an exceptional artist who can perform completely live as well and still composes music (with singing and instruments and not just mumbled words and a lot of electronic whatnots, that is not music imho :lmfao:)

• Like 2

I am
Sometimes much too tall
Sometimes much too small/little

I live
Often erasing myself
No matter where I am

Free, free, free like air, 
Live , live my way
Free, free, I don't know how (to do/be) 
Me…

I don't feel at ease in my Blue Jeans
I dream of a love the Birkin way
All those assassin stares/All those stares are killing me
I don't dare getting out of the pool 

To live out my dream  
I would only like to be able to tell myself that I don't give a f***

I dream of a love the Jane Birkin way

Tonight, I'm a child who's dancing
 I'm a man forgetting himself
Never mind if my arms swing
You're making fun of me and you're laughing

Free, free, free as air
Live, live my way
Free, free, I don't know how (to do/be)
Me,
All those assassin stares/
All those stares are killing me

To live out my dream  
I would so much like to be able to tell myself that I don't give a f***

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Jane Birkin

All those assassin stares/All those stares are killing me
 To live out my dream  
I would only like to be able to tell myself that I don't give a f***

I dream of a love the jane Birkin way 

I don't feel confortable in my Blue Jeans
All those assassin stares/
All those stares are killing  me

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KAMI_83 said:

I don't know where to ask this question so I'll leave it here. :confused:

Screenshot_20231211-235605.thumb.png.92651c1a872e2158cf00380d8cff6210.png

I was checking out Mika's new merchandise on their official website, and I discovered this notebook, my question is: What exactly is this little book? I mean... what is its content or if they are leaves  Blank to write or what do you think it is? I'm kind of lost :blink:

Aid :flowers2:

It is more like a copybook for you to write in they have lines for writing but there is a quote on the first page saying in French:

Tout commence par une idèe, et au début il n'y a pas de faible ni de mauvaise idèe. Lâche-toi et que ta tête fleurisse.

It all starts with an idea', and at beginning there is no weak nor bad idea. Let yourself go and may your head bloom.

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

MIKA - Jane Birkin (Official Music Video)

• Credits Director: Oliver Jennings
  • Producer: Alex White
  • Production Company: Jealous
  • Films Commissioner: Ailsa Robertson
  • Director Rep: Andy Roberts / Las Bandas
  • 1st AD: Sam Barnham
  • 2nd AD: Niomi Collins
  • Production Coordinator: Jack Savage
  • DOP: Henry Gill 1st AC: Harry Coleman
  • 2nd AC: Oona Milka Eloranta Jib Supplier: Dave Emery
  • Jib Operator: Mike Drury
  • Jib Technician: Ben Reason
  • Balloon Light Operator: Richard Buckley
  • Balloon Light Technician: James Jeffs
  • Gaffer: Sachin Parmer
  • Spark: Arjun Vell
  • Spark: Oren Soto-Levy
  • Wardrobe: Anna Cuvallova
  • MUA: Rhea LeRiche
  • Hair Stylist: Geraldine Fougerat
  • Editor: Oliver Jennings
  • Colourist: Tom Mangham @BlackKiteStudios

• Synchronised Skate Team: Team Aura GBR
  • Skaters: Abbie, Abigail, Carlos, Darcey, Emily, Hana, Harriet, Imogen, Kennedy, Kaile, Georgia, Maria, Ferne, Ruby, Ted
  • Team Coaches: Dannii Goldie & Rio Sully
  • Mika Skate Coach: Adrien Tesson
  • Filmed at: Lee Valley Ice Centre, London, UK
  • © 2023 MIKA PUNCH, in JV with Island Def Jam, Universal Music France.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

MIKA - Jane Birkin (Official Music Video)

• Credits Director: Oliver Jennings
  • Producer: Alex White
  • Production Company: Jealous
  • Films Commissioner: Ailsa Robertson
  • Director Rep: Andy Roberts / Las Bandas
  • 1st AD: Sam Barnham
  • 2nd AD: Niomi Collins
  • Production Coordinator: Jack Savage
  • DOP: Henry Gill 1st AC: Harry Coleman
  • 2nd AC: Oona Milka Eloranta Jib Supplier: Dave Emery
  • Jib Operator: Mike Drury
  • Jib Technician: Ben Reason
  • Balloon Light Operator: Richard Buckley
  • Balloon Light Technician: James Jeffs
  • Gaffer: Sachin Parmer
  • Spark: Arjun Vell
  • Spark: Oren Soto-Levy
  • Wardrobe: Anna Cuvallova
  • MUA: Rhea LeRiche
  • Hair Stylist: Geraldine Fougerat
  • Editor: Oliver Jennings
  • Colourist: Tom Mangham @BlackKiteStudios

• Synchronised Skate Team: Team Aura GBR
  • Skaters: Abbie, Abigail, Carlos, Darcey, Emily, Hana, Harriet, Imogen, Kennedy, Kaile, Georgia, Maria, Ferne, Ruby, Ted
  • Team Coaches: Dannii Goldie & Rio Sully
  • Mika Skate Coach: Adrien Tesson
  • Filmed at: Lee Valley Ice Centre, London, UK
  • © 2023 MIKA PUNCH, in JV with Island Def Jam, Universal Music France.

I thought for a minute that Mika had decided to go ahead and post the video!!  So I put my headphones on (despite the late hour)  .  . .  and then read the words "premieres in 18 hours."  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Oof, not as sad as I was afraid! No tears :thumb_yello:

Now it's time to find explanation to each frame as we did in Yo-Yo video :lol3:

yes of course i love this clip 

:hug:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is probably my favorite song on the new album, and I hope I’ll get to see him sing it live today! 
I’ve tried recording myself singing an English version of the song, but the song itself is in a very awkward range for my voice, so I have to make some weird vocal jumps…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOneAndOnlyLeo said:

This is probably my favorite song on the new album, and I hope I’ll get to see him sing it live today! 
I’ve tried recording myself singing an English version of the song, but the song itself is in a very awkward range for my voice, so I have to make some weird vocal jumps…

I think Jane Birkin could work wonderfully in English, if you do finish a recording please share it somewhere on the forum! 😊

I fall in love with this song a little bit more every time I hear it :wub2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I think Jane Birkin could work wonderfully in English, if you do finish a recording please share it somewhere on the forum! 😊

Should I share it here or is there a forum specifically for Mika song covers?

41 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnlyLeo said:

Should I share it here or is there a forum specifically for Mika song covers?

We have this thread for all talented singers! You can share all kinds of work here it doesn’t necessarily have to be Mika covers 🙂

• Like 1