Passager- song & lyrics discussion

krysady

Mikatiktok:

Part 1 - You’ve heard songs from 7 of the 12 songs from the new album. Now here’s number 8, a song I adore…’Passager’

Part 2 - A clip from ‘Passager’, a song I cannot wait to perform live!

Edited by krysady
  • Like 6

I guess some of you may be interrested by the lyrics :wink2:

So here is what I understand

Paaa , paaa , passe  .

Partout ou je vais, je passe sans rester.

Je me lasse ,

Je reprend ma route comme un passager.

Et je t'aime , de passage.

J'fais d'la peine de passage.

J'suis moi même , de passage.

Comme un passager.

Comme un lion, de passage.

Vagabond, de passage.

Sans raison , de passage , comme un passager

Edited by carafon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, carafon said:

Paaa , paaa , passe  .

Je me lasse ,

Comme un passager.

Vagabond, de passage.

I hear 'Pas ma place' at the beginning 

Amazing song :wub2:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, camille* said:

I hear 'Pas ma place' at the beginning 

Amazing song :wub2:

You're right :thumb_yello:

So it seems that the righ lyrics are :

Pas ma place

Je me lasse ,

Comme un passager.

Vagabond, de passage.

OK, I think I found the song I'm in love with... I will know it for sure hearing the complete song, but I don't think I'm wrong :swoon:

I'm so happy he wants to sings it live, because I'm personnaly very impatient to hear it, and I hope he will really sings it in march...   :wub2: 

• Like 4

I love the sentiment behind this song, I think from time to time we all feel like a passenger just passing through. At least for me this song feels quite relateble. What Mika said about Carla being afraid of nothing and the line "Comme un lion, de passage" it's almost as though the strength can be felt with those words. At least that's the vibe I'm getting from it. It's simply lovely! :cloud:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, carafon said:

Paaa , paaa , passe  .

Je me lasse ,

Comme un passager.

Vagabond, de passage.

Not sure I hear well

A ma place
Partout ou je vais je passe sans rester
Je me lasse
Je reprends ma route comme un passager
Et je t'aime/les je t'aime de passage
Et la peine de passage
J'suis moi même de passage
Comme un passager
Comme un lion de passage
Vagabond de passage
Sans raison de passage
Comme un passager

At my place
Everywhere I go I go without staying
I get bored
I hit the road again like a passenger.
And "I love you"without staying
And sorrow without staying
I am never staying
Like a passenger
Like a lion without staying
Tramp without staying
With no reason without staying
Like a passenger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I get bored

Why does that not surprise me at all. :teehee:

I like the sound of this a lot. :wub2: It reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel, of the Beatles, and agree with @Mikasister also of Dust in the Wind. And of a lesser known Take That song called "Wooden Boat".

I was a bit confused tho that when talking about the song, he first talked about his Cowriter(s) for about a minute. :blink: Makes me wonder, because in other interviews he said he wrote all the lyrics himself, now it doesn't sound like that at all. :dunno:

I wonder if "Modern Times" was about the same topic? His inability to sit still, not feeling like he has arrived anywhere. I thought at least with love he had, but maybe not. Looking forward to hear the rest of the lyrics.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, mellody said:

Why does that not surprise me at all. :teehee:

I like the sound of this a lot. :wub2: It reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel, of the Beatles, and agree with @Mikasister also of Dust in the Wind. And of a lesser known Take That song called "Wooden Boat".

I was a bit confused tho that when talking about the song, he first talked about his Cowriter(s) for about a minute. :blink: Makes me wonder, because in other interviews he said he wrote all the lyrics himself, now it doesn't sound like that at all. :dunno:

I wonder if "Modern Times" was about the same topic? His inability to sit still, not feeling like he has arrived anywhere. I thought at least with love he had, but maybe not. Looking forward to hear the rest of the lyrics.

I believe he spends lots of time and talks a lot with his cowriters. And they write together but I'm sure Mika always has the last word. He said he had written his lyrics his way and it really sounds like him. It makes me feel a bit sad though (for now) 

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Makes me wonder, because in other interviews he said he wrote all the lyrics himself, now it doesn't sound like that at all. :dunno:

As I recall from the first interviews about this French album he said that he wanted to write at least 50% of the lyrics of each song by himself. So I can imagine they were cooperating in some way while spending time together. Maybe he had already an idea of the song and other co-writers (Doriand, Carla) added their ideas, words, lines.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

As I recall from the first interviews about this French album he said that he wanted to write at least 50% of the lyrics of each song by himself. So I can imagine they were cooperating in some way while spending time together. Maybe he had already an idea of the song and other co-writers (Doriand, Carla) added their ideas, words, lines.

:yeah:

And for songs in English he likes to surround himself with a team too. I believe it makes the whole process more fun and lively for him and it gives a special touch to each album too 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

As I recall from the first interviews about this French album he said that he wanted to write at least 50% of the lyrics of each song by himself

Ah ok thanks, I guess I didn't hear that interview - I only remember him saying that it was very important to him to write ALL the lyrics himself, to not sound like someone he isn't. Well, obviously when writers write for a certain artist, the artist has to identify with the songs, otherwise it's just fake. So it's clear that it has to sound like it's him. But the info that he wrote them all himself is just wrong then. When he said that, I thought his cowriters maybe had contributed to the way the words are used in the songs, like which syllables for which notes, how many syllables, where to abbreviate, (j'rêve) or make it longer (rê-ve), this whole syntax & grammar thing, I can imagine he might have needed help with that, to make it sound right and at the same time still like himself. That's part of the writing process, too. But well, the info that the others were involved in the actual lyric writing as well makes the songs feel a bit less personal and less directly from his heart. :dunno: The topics surely are, but I guess I'll have to remember this when I'm trying to analyze the details of the lyrics - that a particular line might not actually be by Mika.

Anyway, the music is still very beautiful. :wub2:

• Like 2

From the Tele 7 Jours interview:

You were talking about your different cultures. In the last track of the album, you sing: I speak French/In transit/An Englishman/In transit/Immigrant/In transit/Like a passenger/And I cry. What does this mean to you?

I no longer want to hide that I feel like this. Am I French? No. Am I English? No. And they tell me. Am I American? A little, but when I walk around the United States, believe me, I feel like an alien. So what am I, in the end? Passing through. Everywhere. But that doesn't mean I don't care. In fact, it's the opposite. And I try to make something beautiful with this feeling.

Ok it isn't just the melody that will make me sad. :tears: I don't need to analyze the lyric lines in detail, to feel the emotion behind this song. I just hope he'll play a really happy and upbeat song after this one at the gigs, so I can dance with tears in my eyes. :crybaby:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mellody said:

From the Tele 7 Jours interview:

Ok it isn't just the melody that will make me sad. :tears: I don't need to analyze the lyric lines in detail, to feel the emotion behind this song. I just hope he'll play a really happy and upbeat song after this one at the gigs, so I can dance with tears in my eyes. :crybaby:

When I read his answer about Passager I have the strong feeling he is now metabolizing this more negative feeling he used to have to a positive one. It’s like like a victory, coming to terms with yourself, making the best of your situation and embracing that part of you. 

I can strongly relate to the song, and now especially after this explanation. I am a citizen of the world like him, but I never felt that I belonged somewhere. However, the feeling of belonging is something you need to unlock in yourself and you make the very best of it wherever you are. I don’t concentrate anymore on what I am not, but what I can bring to the table. 

Maybe I’m projecting, but I think this is part of what he means. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SusanT said:

I really like the music of Passager.   I don't recall any other album songs where Mika sings only with a guitar accompaniment.  Am I forgetting something?

Maybe Les Baisers Perdus?

That is mostly accompanied by guitar (and strings) :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

Maybe Les Baisers Perdus?

That is mostly accompanied by guitar (and strings) :)

Yes, I think most songs have more than just guitar. Like the acoustic version of Overrated starts out with mostly guitar, but there's some piano in there, too. And Heroes starts with guitar, but then there's the chorus.

• Like 2