2012 - Mika Tells Instinct, “Yeah, I’m gay.”

dcdeb

What is with that headline? Why does anyone need to paraphrase what he said and if you feel you must then don't use quotation marks ffs! :doh:

Yeah that's been annoying me too, but the media loves to play with quotes :sneaky2:

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is with that headline? Why does anyone need to paraphrase what he said and if you feel you must then don't use quotation marks ffs! :doh:

He mentions that he was present at the 2009 album listening party in Montreal. i asked him if he still had a copy of his review....

at the time, i only saw one in Montreal (french).

English radio/newspaper seldom bother with Mika, i'd be surprised

I am happy to send my 'mikalove' to Lena right away, but I need to add that we also had the iron curtain running on the Western borders of Hungary and other Russian fans in their thirties are likely to have experienced the same. It's just that we are different as people with different levels of tolerance to accept differing views.

My exposure to gay culture was zero until my late teenage years: I never knew or heard of anyone who would be gay. All I heard (from someone in my family as it was never discussed anywhere publicly) that homosexuals were sick and dangerous to children. :blink:So I imagined them as middle-aged pervs I should be afraid of, except that this family member was also good at spotting 'gay men' on TV, like the singer of Modern Talking, who was wearing an eye-liner...:roftl: Needless to say, I started to question such easily identifiable traits, so I concluded that I shouldn't believe that as it is just part of old people's fear of anything new or different coming from the Western world (now I'd call it Communist propaganda)

Next I remember hearing is that Freddie Mercury died of AIDS and that he was gay. So I thought I should quickly forget about anything I have heard so far as such a great musician can't have been all sick and evil. And that is the reason why role models do play an important part in influencing public opinion / 'educating' people. There is also one other thing I remember that helped me totally understand that gay people love the same way as any straight person does: the film Philadelphia. I remember crying at the end of it.

I think people in most part of the world are exposed to similar news and events at any particular time period and it is up to us how we contruct our own reality.

thank you and willywonka. Hope Lena will see this.

btw:I'm so happy that that iron curtain is away.

I want to put something here, so that we understand a little better what LGBTQ people face on coming out in SO many places... this makes my heart ache, that people still have to deal with this sort of reaction.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/fathers-hateful-letter-to-gay-son-after-coming-out-goes-viral/news/2012/08/07/45756

I don't have the time to read all the thread but I want to tell my opinion about it. Mika is gay? Ok, he is just a human like all of us. He told us, I am proud of him because I think it's an hard secret (if it is). And I am happy becuse he looks happy. All people on the earth must be proud of who they are. Unfortunately a lot of people think they have to judge other. I don't think everyone have to look like other. And I am certain homosexuality is not a choice. All people have to be happy the way the are. If I have to judge someone, it's the people who think they have all the truth. I never think I have the truth. I try to live as I want to live. I considere me as marginal. Maybe a lot of peope don't like me or don't understand me because of it but don't want to change. Sometimes it's hard but I really want to be myself and don't play a game. And I think all people have to live as they want to live. It's not a crime to be gay, it's not a crime to be marginal, it's not a crime to want to follow the most part of the society. It's just unrespectful to don't allow and judge people who don't be like us.

I really liked to write this message in french because it be best but I think all of you can understand my opinion.

My story is a bit alike.

I was totally shocked in my 14 to know that Freddie is gay. But luckily, my mom was very supportive and tolerant (I still can't understand why? She is a soviet woman from a village! Maybe she loved me to the extent that supported my feelings in spite anything?). Btw, in my early age I remember the rumours about one actor who got into a jail only for being gay. And my mom, without digging into deep, explained that he is not bad and did nothing wrong.

So, I'm immensely grateful to Freddie and my mom. If not them, I really don't know what my beliefs and views would be now :dunno:

Oh, is Tomas Anders a gay? I had no idea :doh: I admired Modern Talking in my childhood too!

Thomas Anders isn´t gay, he is married to a woman and has a son with her. It was only his look in the eighties :wink2: which his first wife created for him.

I am happy to send my 'mikalove' to Lena right away, but I need to add that we also had the iron curtain running on the Western borders of Hungary and other Russian fans in their thirties are likely to have experienced the same. It's just that we are different as people with different levels of tolerance to accept differing views.

My exposure to gay culture was zero until my late teenage years: I never knew or heard of anyone who would be gay. All I heard (from someone in my family as it was never discussed anywhere publicly) that homosexuals were sick and dangerous to children. :blink:So I imagined them as middle-aged pervs I should be afraid of, except that this family member was also good at spotting 'gay men' on TV, like the singer of Modern Talking, who was wearing an eye-liner...:roftl: Needless to say, I started to question such easily identifiable traits, so I concluded that I shouldn't believe that as it is just part of old people's fear of anything new or different coming from the Western world (now I'd call it Communist propaganda)

Next I remember hearing is that Freddie Mercury died of AIDS and that he was gay. So I thought I should quickly forget about anything I have heard so far as such a great musician can't have been all sick and evil. And that is the reason why role models do play an important part in influencing public opinion / 'educating' people. There is also one other thing I remember that helped me totally understand that gay people love the same way as any straight person does: the film Philadelphia. I remember crying at the end of it.

I think people in most part of the world are exposed to similar news and events at any particular time period and it is up to us how we contruct our own reality.

I've never met an openly homosexual person. :aah:

there's a lot about it on german websites today, also big TV station websites, like Pro7 or VIVA. no news of course, except that one of the sites writes that the album will be out on september 11, which of course i'd LOVE if that was the german release date! :teehee:

Oh my god ... I'm so so shocked ... I had no idea ... this changes everything ... I can now no longer look at him the same way ... I will never be his wife ... my dreams are ... B.R.O.K.E.N. I need to leave ... I'm inconsolable

*makes dramatic exit stage left*

:mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:

:mikalove: :'DDDD my reaction was just the same. Wtf? How on earth could this happen? I'm disappointed and upset. He won't be my husband :'(((:mf_rosetinted:

btw:I'm so happy that that iron curtain is away.

Now imagine how happy I am...:roftl:

I really liked to write this message in french because it be best but I think all of you can understand my opinion.

I understood you perfectly. :thumb_yello:

Neither have I until it was considered to be unlawful here.

Oh, is Tomas Anders a gay? I had no idea :doh: I admired Modern Talking in my childhood too!

I never thought he was, it was just an example how judgemental people here were (and are) about some men looking different / feminine.

I couldn't stand Modern Talking. :aah: I remember I was around 9 and thought I have never heard such simple and stupid music in my life - so simple I could play them by moving only 2-3 fingers on my wooden flute.:roftl:

Now I :lmfao: when I listen to these songs and they even give me a kind of nostalgic feeling as when I was a child it was mainly the German charts we heard any pop music from. So I got exposed to other pop music only in my mid teenage years.

Edited by suzie

I just want to tell one think that I don't like about this not so much news.... :aah:

The thing about all of this it's they show it like it's the biggest think ever, like his music and new upcoming album is not that much important like this news, and I think it's really sad. Just get over it and we want to share news about new album and upcoming tour...

Today I saw on one TV station same and same new like on others sites etc... But they didn't tell anything about TOOL or something else about him ...

That is from me :naughty:

My story is a bit alike.

I was totally shocked in my 14 to know that Freddie is gay. But luckily, my mom was very supportive and tolerant (I still can't understand why? She is a soviet woman from a village! Maybe she loved me to the extent that supported my feelings in spite anything?). Btw, in my early age I remember the rumours about one actor who got into a jail only for being gay. And my mom, without digging into deep, explained that he is not bad and did nothing wrong.

So, I'm immensely grateful to Freddie and my mom. If not them, I really don't know what my beliefs and views would be now :dunno:

As for me, I've also been living in a pretty patriarchal and homophobic country. But my father was an artist so a lot of gay people (men and women) hanged out at our house from my childhood and they didn't bother me in any way. Some of them were closeted gays (like my godfather), some of them were openly gay. We didn't live behind "iron curtain" though, on the contrary: all the time we'we been exposed to the Western influences.

The same was with my teenage idols who were gays: Freddie, George Michael, Elton John, Lihmal, even Bowie, and later actor Anthony Perkins .

I haven't payed much attention to this fact at the time of 70. and 80.

But back then there wasn't media involvent and some kind of pressure in this matter and people could live their own private lives without much problems when it comes to celebreties. As for the other people things look like a bit different.

My daughter' s best friend is a lesbian who hit on her for some time, even though she knew that K. is a straight person. When she finally came out their friendship developed in a good way for both of them. That girl has found girlfriend, and my daughter a boyfriend and they can discuss about men and women relationship in a more complex way and help out each other.

The only thing I don't like is an attempt of seduction of very young boys and girls by openly and mature gay persons.

Edited by Shine

We didn't live behind "iron curtain" though, on the contrary: all the time we'we been exposed to the Western influences.

How do you explain recent anti-gay riots and banning the gay parade in your country then? I would have thought that such attitudes are part of the 'heritage' from the communist past, though feel free to disagree.

We actually have pretty much the same attitude here, though probably more willingness to act politically correct at international level - not always succeeding though.

The only thing I don't like is an attempt of seduction of very young boys and girls by openly and mature gay persons.

But imo that doesn't qualify as homosexual but as phaedophile.

Yes Shine I don't understand why you mention this in relation to homosexuality. :blink: Doesn't it go without saying that no one approves of adults seducing children? Sadly there is plenty of pedophilia between men and girls (or women and boys for that matter) so it has nothing to do with hetero- or homo- sexual orientation.

Yes Shine I don't understand why you mention this in relation to homosexuality. :blink: Doesn't it go without saying that no one approves of adults seducing children? Sadly there is plenty of pedophilia between men and girls (or women and boys for that matter) so it has nothing to do with hetero- or homo- sexual orientation.

That's just how I have always kept hearing it confused. It is simply the lack of knowledge and understanding, I think, that is hugely responsible for homophobic attitudes. If you are brought up in that environment it is difficult to 'switch'. Is it common to mix up pedophilia with homosexuality in the Western world as well? I have always wondered if it was just an Eastern European phenomenon. Here it is actually very common, particularly in right-wing media.

Alright' date=' I may be rather young to join in this conversation (14) but I feel as though I have the overwhelming desire to share my views on this point. Seen through my eyes, the way we live our lives is certainly subject to outside interpretation. This is especially true for Mika, who, as a celebrity, has chosen to accept the possibility that aspects of his private life may come into view of the public eye and the eye of his fanbase. And how everyone sees the world is highly dependent upon how they were brought up, their opinions, thoughts, religious beliefs etc. Therefore something that seems one way to someone of a certain belief may seem differently to someone of a different belief (I'm trying to maintain a position of neutrality) One may belief that homosexuality is wrong and they have their right to that belief, therefore in their eyes wanting to 'save' Mika would be an expression of their love and respect for him. Although in someone else's view homosexuality is fine and therefore not wanting to interfere would be a sign of [i']their[/i] respect and love for him. Although it isn't necessary to respect someone's PoV (however preferable that would be) it is a good and highly informative thing to observe it. But in the end it's Mika's personal life and so his beliefs and views are what matter to him. As his fans we're here for his music, no? And yet we find ourselves in such a position as to judge his character based off of that. He has the right to withhold any information from us as he wishes. So what I'm trying to say (albeit in a highly unstructured way, sorry for that) is that overall HIS beliefs are what should govern HIS life, and regardless of whether we agree or not that isnt going to change. Feel free to live your OWN life how YOU want to. But it's quite a pointless matter to be so grieved and distressed over something that not only does you no harm whatsoever but that also makes someone happy. No matter if you have no personal attachment to Mika, (which although most of us do we really should not) you're here for music which is, other than in principle, rather unaffected by sexuality.

There's not two equally acceptable sides to an issue. When it comes to homosexuality, there's right and there's wrong. To charge that homosexuality is unnatural, that is wrong. Insert, being Jewish, or being black, and then call that unnatural, and people would go crazy. It's the same thing. Homosexuality is biological, and there's nothing wrong with it. This is a done deal, and not up for debate.

Homosexuality is not a lifestyle. It's an orientation.

I'm noticing some from Russia are the ones trashing homosexuals. It's not surprising since their country has one of the worst track records when it comes to LGBT people. It's illegal to talk about homosexuality there, and nearly half of the country wants homosexuality re-criminalized. Gays don't stand a chance in Russia today. It's an extremely homophobic country. Many gays are seeking asylum now. What's happening to them today, has people saying that the country is returning to the Cold War.

Edited by lifeinmika