Talk about you - Lyrics & Song Discussion

Hopefully he'll be able to stop talking about his boyfriend long enough to talk about this song and how it was made, like the TOOL track by tracks. I look forward to hearing his insights, to hear if he's aware of the similarity to other songs.

And to hearing it live, i can't wait to find out what he does with it live! Hopefully he'll perform it accoustically on some radio/tv shows :wub2:

I totally agree with you...can't wait to hear it live (undoubtedly will be amazing!!!), and really hoping for the track by track videos. I watch the ones from TOOL all the time. They are insightful, and I just love it when Mika geeks out to his own tunes.:thumb_yello: Would likely shed light on the subject of whether he intentionally sampled/channeled the Ricchi e Poveri song or if he credited the authors afterward when he became aware of the similarity. I grew up in Europe and remember that song well, but it never entered my mind when I listened to Talk about You. When you think about it, with the vast number of songs out there, it is incredibly difficult to come up with a melody or lyrics that doesn't in some way remind you of another song. Just saying...

And just for the record, I do love the new song. The more I listen, the more I like it. It makes me happy!! :) My kids (5 & 12) also loved it immediately.

I like it!..

All in all it leaves me with the feeling of...Mika... Its not like his last album which had this weird electronic vibe. Its kinda back in the day Mika, so far I'm getting a REALLY good feeling about this upcoming album. Is it repetitive? Yes. Is that weird bridge off putting? Sure. Do I wish no one was in the office so I could blast it? You bet your ass I do. WHOOOO!!! Go Mika!

It's probably my fault, because I have never paid too much attention to Ricchi e Poveri's songs but I think TAY resembles "Sarà perchè ti amo" only in the first few bars.

I wouldn't say it's my fav Mika song, but I like it. It's happy and insanely infectious

Here, too, at that time.

But when you mention them here, people will laugh forevah :blush-anim-cl:

Just like Toto Cutugno, Albano, or other people who were successful abroad...

:thumb_yello:

I wonder if he doesn't realize that, even if he releases a different single here, people do know that he featured "Sarà perchè ti amo" in his international comeback song :shocked:

The blogs or articles, whatever they are, seem to be great! There was even one in English!!!

I contacted Radio 2 to ask the DJs to all play Mika's new song.

I also left a comment on one of the blog sites listed on here.

Okay, TAY is more commercial than others of his, more like Euro-pop, but at this stage I honestly think it's the right song. It seems to already be starting a buzz and if it sounds a bit like such and such a song, it doesn't matter. He's credited the songwriters anyway. But the greatest strength of this song lies in the lyrics. They are brilliant and so original.

The main thing is, if people like TAY, they will look at his other work. The blogs have mentioned the other albums, people might discover them, and all the wonderful music they have missed out on.

I am really excited!

"And if I'm crazy, that's cause you made me" I'm so glad he got to use that in a single, it sort of echoes that LICM demo You Made Me he did. The first time I heard him sing it I dropped everything and went CAUSE YOU MAAADE MEEEEE! I love it though, can't stop playing it! Worked it out on piano too and started scoring the parts out in Sibelius (music notation software) so I'll share that when it's done for anyone who wants to play it too! ? so are we thinking Staring at the Sun will be the second single? ? can't wait to hear that! It sounds really Empire of the Sun-esque, but I reckon it's because it's one of the songs he wrote with Nick Littlemore.

Hi Michaeeeel :bye:

I really liked the line "if I am crazy, that's what you made me" too, but because it reminded me of Ring Ring, actually. ("... say I drove you crazy, well, if I did you made me...") I have always loved that song. :wub2:

Staring at the Sun does really sound like Empire of the Sun, doesn't it? A little too much, IMO. But it might be the next single, but who knows? When I heard the other day that there was going to be a different single released for Italy I thought it could be either Good Guys or Staring, since he'd used them both in Italy already. But maybe it depends on how well Good Guys does in Italy. If it does well enough, maybe they'll release it as a single worldwide. :dunno:

Hi Michaeeeel :bye:

I really liked the line "if I am crazy, that's what you made me" too, but because it reminded me of Ring Ring, actually. ("... say I drove you crazy, well, if I did you made me...") I have always loved that song. :wub2:

Staring at the Sun does really sound like Empire of the Sun, doesn't it? A little too much, IMO. But it might be the next single, but who knows? When I heard the other day that there was going to be a different single released for Italy I thought it could be either Good Guys or Staring, since he'd used them both in Italy already. But maybe it depends on how well Good Guys does in Italy. If it does well enough, maybe they'll release it as a single worldwide. :dunno:

I was also thinking about Ring Ring, but I thought it was me who was crazy for hearing that so I didn't say it :naughty: I love that line, and Ring Ring is such a jam and this song is too so it's great!

Here, too, at that time.

But when you mention them here, people will laugh forevah :blush-anim-cl:

Just like Toto Cutugno, Albano, or other people who were successful abroad...

In Russia too :teehee: I remember my parents dancing to it :doh::aah:

I feel like watching a horror movie, knowing that sooner or later the nice but naïve guy (this song) is going to be eaten by the monster (the press, the music critics, the bloggers, and the public humiliation/indifference).

I have no experience at all, but I can't imagine by what means this single can be taken seriously. Nice lyrics, amazing voice, but zero originality! The "influences" sound better. Right, artists need to find a balance between what they love to do and what the world will pay them to do. But is this what the world wants Mika to do?! Who are his advisers?

Seriously, Mika needs to explain publicly the genesis of this piece, ASAP!

I love that bit in the middle, but I know it drives radio djs crazy, as they think the song is finished sooner than they thought, and on one show on R2, it will mean it will get cut off at that point, as the guy just cuts records off at mid point anyway so he can just jabber on. He does it with Ed Sheerans 'Sing' and it drives me insane!:sneaky2:

That is totally unexpected, NEVER thought he would still register on NMEs radar, let alone them mention this single and the album.

But VERY, VERY happy that they have:thumb_yello:

I had to google NME , but now I understand :thumb_yello:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NME

3FM, one of Holland's biggest radio stations played it once yesterday. Perhaps we can request it again?

Is there a thread for interaction with radios regarding TAY yet? Or should be use the "Keep Mika Golden" thread where two infos about the radios are already shared?

I was also thinking about Ring Ring, but I thought it was me who was crazy for hearing that so I didn't say it :naughty: I love that line, and Ring Ring is such a jam and this song is too so it's great!

Ring Ring rocks! One of my most favorite songs for sure. His voice in it is just :swoon: and that guitar....:punk:

I just realized what is it that made me love TAY- after reading one of those blog reviews Deb posted, which reflects exactly what I feel. It's that Mika sound that is back. All those drums and piano and guitars and his voice. Just crossing my fingers that the rest of the album is like that too.

The blogs or articles, whatever they are, seem to be great! There was even one in English!!!

I contacted Radio 2 to ask the DJs to all play Mika's new song.

I also left a comment on one of the blog sites listed on here.

Okay, TAY is more commercial than others of his, more like Euro-pop, but at this stage I honestly think it's the right song. It seems to already be starting a buzz and if it sounds a bit like such and such a song, it doesn't matter. He's credited the songwriters anyway. But the greatest strength of this song lies in the lyrics. They are brilliant and so original.

The main thing is, if people like TAY, they will look at his other work. The blogs have mentioned the other albums, people might discover them, and all the wonderful music they have missed out on.

I am really excited!

I tweeted Heart FM yesterday, but didn't get a reply. I suspect it will be the usual excuses of how they choose their playlist.

I feel like watching a horror movie, knowing that sooner or later the nice but naïve guy (this song) is going to be eaten by the monster (the press, the music critics, the bloggers, and the public humiliation/indifference).

I have no experience at all, but I can't imagine by what means this single can be taken seriously. Nice lyrics, amazing voice, but zero originality! The "influences" sound better. Right, artists need to find a balance between what they love to do and what the world will pay them to do. But is this what the world wants Mika to do?! Who are his advisers?

Yes, I'd like to hear how he came to write it. Did he consciously adapt the tune, or did someone have to break it to him that it had been done before? And once he had found that out, why did he release it as the lead single? :blink:

Please, this is definitely better than the bland crap we have shoved down our throats from Cowell and his ridiculous X Craptor acts!

It may not be the best song he has ever done, but I'd rather listen to this than have to have my ears assaulted by the horror that we have to put up with from Cowell!

Here a not so nice french review. http://m.leplus.nouvelobs.com/contribution/1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html#http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mika%20talk%20about%20you&source=web&cd=14&ved=0CCkQFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleplus.nouvelobs.com%2Fcontribution%2F1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html&ei=cJQUVcSRJo_aaLPzgegI&usg=AFQjCNEtdBe6-GqdFZX9-zgP67u64Wv2qA&sig2=Nemu0pmpKWYu_1KYCr2_7g&bvm=bv.89381419,d.d2s

I was sorry to read it, this comment is very harsh and a bit over the top. But i'm not so enthousiastic myself about the new single. Sure, there are many songs that are worse but i had hoped to hear something more interesting from Mika. I read in a blog that this song was compared to Grace Kelly and Relax but to me these songs seem much more powerful and energetic. He used melodies from others in these songs as well and i don't mind that at all. The result was original and great. I'm afraid though that Mozart and Cutting Crew were beter examples to follow.

Anyway, I hope this reviewer is wrong and that many people will like the song. After all quite a few here at MFC do and i read some good reviews on internet as well. All this makes me realize that it must be very scary to release a new single. So many opinions! I remember his face when Mika talked about this song in The Voice France. He looked very proud and happy as he listened to the recording. Hopefully he'll stay as happy with it.

Here a not so nice french review. http://m.leplus.nouvelobs.com/contribution/1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html#http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mika%20talk%20about%20you&source=web&cd=14&ved=0CCkQFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleplus.nouvelobs.com%2Fcontribution%2F1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html&ei=cJQUVcSRJo_aaLPzgegI&usg=AFQjCNEtdBe6-GqdFZX9-zgP67u64Wv2qA&sig2=Nemu0pmpKWYu_1KYCr2_7g&bvm=bv.89381419,d.d2s

I was sorry to read it, this comment is very harsh and a bit over the top. But i'm not so enthousiastic myself about the new single. Sure, there are many songs that are worse but i had hoped to hear something more interesting from Mika. I read in a blog that this song was compared to Grace Kelly and Relax but to me these songs seem much more powerful and energetic. He used melodies from others in these songs as well and i don't mind that at all. The result was original and great. I'm afraid though that Mozart and Cutting Crew were beter examples to follow.

Anyway, I hope this reviewer is wrong and that many people will like the song. After all quite a few here at MFC do and i read some good reviews on internet as well. All this makes me realize that it must be very scary to release a new single. So many opinions! I remember his face when Mika talked about this song in The Voice France. He looked very proud and happy as he listened to the recording. Hopefully he'll stay as happy with it.

This review is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't even worth to translate it, it's a trashy article. :puking:

Meanwhile there's still no trace of the song on Russian iTunes/Google Play ets. But it's already all over Runet (Russian Internet): on the social media like VK.com, some musical web sites. You can download it everywhere (not only listen) and in a very good quality :fisch: I mean one can't buy it ligally but can easy get it illigally... And I have no idea how to find out is it going to be a single in Russia at all :doh:

About the song :) I really like it. Not that much as I love Boum Boum Boum though. But its sound, this bass and piano... It has a very Mikaish sound to me :thumb_yello:

I remember his face when Mika talked about this song in The Voice France. He looked very proud and happy as he listened to the recording. Hopefully he'll stay as happy with it.

I hope so, we need him to be proud of himself, because we are!:mika3:

What matter is that everyone talks about it :teehee:

with very deep heart touching meaningful lyrics wrapped up in a happy catchy bubble pop melody , and with the same happy and clever message to "haters" that reminds me of "walk out the door" in Grace Kelly :wink2: and I think that's very much like the first Mika songs :wub2:

I totally agree with you!

Edited by valerie-emma