Montreal - Travel Plans and Discussions

Treasa

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the tips, Cath! Museum of fine arts seems to be nicely located and not too far away. I also found a webpage for Montreal botanical garden and it looks nice (I often visit botanical gardens every city where I have a possibility) but it's a bit far away so the museum could be easier.

Edit: Corrected the museum name to "fine arts", more my taste than modern arts.

Botanical garden is about 15-minutes from downtown by Metro.

Yep.... I don't like what I see though :mf_rosetinted:

Not crazy about it either, but at least I have it in Fahrenheit, so I can understand it. 32F looks much more promising than 0C, even though it's the same.

how to get to Montreal and where to stay may be important.... but so is the weather :naughty::

http://montreal.about.com/od/Montreal-Weather/ss/montreal-february-weather-climate-temperatures-average.htm

The city streets are often covered with slush, which is a mixture of snow/ice/rain

Because we put down salt, dirt or a mixture of both to stop cars and people from sliding/falling on slippery sidewalks and streets, the slush is dirty looking.

If you do not have proper footwear, your feet will be wet & cold.

Do not underestimate our February weather and our windchill factor, even the excitement of a Mika concert won't keep you warm :naughty:

We have a great metro and bus system.

In Montreal, the subway or tube is known as the "metro"

Travelling by metro and bus is inexpensive (about $3 for single ticket). The ticket you buy for the metro also allows you to ride the bus system if used within 120 min. A new ticket has to be bought for the return

Prices change quite often, here is the website:

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks

Thank you so much :mikalove:

Next question... :fisch:

Does the canadian ladies have any suggestion for cheap tickets for the train trip from Montreal to Toronto?

It's so soon! :cheer:

There is only one train company and it's Via Rail. Your only alternative would be to take a bus.

Does the canadian ladies have any suggestion for cheap tickets for the train trip from Montreal to Toronto?

This is the website for our only train company

http://www.viarail.ca/

i actually did the trip Montreal-Toronto this weekend... it was pretty good.

Took approx. 4 1/2 hours to get there.

Free wi-fi :kachinga:

I would advise anyone to really check the travel time because some departures have more stops than others.

renate, sign up to their newsletter, that way you get special offers. ;)

something else, what's the best way to get from the airport into town in toronto, and from downtown to the airport in montreal? is there a metro connection, or some train like the heathrow express in london?

Toronto is just building a Heathrow Express type line right now but it won't be ready until later in the year. And because the construction has made a huge mess of downtown Toronto and the train will drive the bus service out of business eventually anyway - the bus service stopped running in October.

So basically you have to take an expensive cab ($60-75). There is also Uber but the rates I saw quoted were $70 so it doesn't appear to be any better. You could try though and see if you can get a better rate. Otherwise a car rental is your only other reasonable option. There is public transportation (public buses and subways) but it is so inconvenient I would never take it under any circumstances, nevermind with a baby in the middle of winter.

For the SIM card...I don't think it's an issue of going between provinces but if you had a local Toronto number, for instance, then you are going to pay roaming fees as soon as you leave Toronto. If the SIM cards are only $10 maybe it would be worth buying one in Toronto and one in Montreal? I can ask at the shops. Sorry I have no idea how this works as I buy a data roaming package when I go to the US and I just switch my data off completely when I am in Europe.

Just bought my via rail ticket >.< its final! I have everything for my trip now EEEE!!! >.< Im so exciteeedddddd not only to see Mika but all you lovely ladies as well! Once I get into the via rail station everything should be smooth <3 Im just nervous getting into the station what with construction and all.

Just bought my via rail ticket >.< its final! I have everything for my trip now EEEE!!! >.< Im so exciteeedddddd not only to see Mika but all you lovely ladies as well! Once I get into the via rail station everything should be smooth <3 Im just nervous getting into the station what with construction and all.

So i was there this weekend. It is a mess :naughty:

Once you get into the station, find out what gate your train is leaving at and follow the signs.

I much preferred the travel from Toronto to Montreal than Montreal to Toronto.

:blush-anim-cl:

I tweeted this to Mika yesterday, and wanted to share it with everyone here. I suppose this is how we'll all be after our week-long stay in Montreal. THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!

:naughty:

montreal-poutine-people.gif

I tweeted this to Mika yesterday, and wanted to share it with everyone here. I suppose this is how we'll all be after our week-long stay in Montreal. THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!

:naughty:

:naughty: where on earth did you find this little gem?

I love the Habs jersey... :aah:

:naughty: where on earth did you find this little gem?

I love the Habs jersey... :aah:

It's one of my favorite comic strips, called Pearls Before Swine. In the daily newspaper. :thumb_yello:

Thanks christine. :thumb_yello: so i guess i'll put contacting taxi services on my to-do-list, to find out which ones offer baby seats... apparently it's not required by law to have one in taxis in canada, but i certainly want one! Especially if taxi drivers are as crazy as here. :mf_rosetinted: (or in liége... :aah:)

About the sim card, we have free wifi in our toronto hotel, so i guess buying one in montreal will do.

Where are you going to stay?

I am really tempted, as flights would be quite cheap atm, and I am afraid, this event will be a quite unique one...:nervous:

I booked relatively expensive hotels this time, as my husband and my son need it a bit more comfortable than me when i'm travelling on my own. :teehee: in the latter case i'd probably be staying at the travelodge or similar.

Maybe you could team up with saskia, dunno if she's booked the hotel meanwhile... or a few pages ago a mfcer from montreal offered couch surfing. ;)

Edited by mellody