Listen to bits of Mika's album on Youtube!

mellody

I wish I could make you return

And what if I'll never discern

As you walk to the toll of the bell

You'll be fighting for a heaven with hell

And you don't understand

why no one else can see

Put your * on me

and my * on you

To make you believe

The only thing I wouldn't do

And you know heroes are meant to survive

_______

The asterisks mark words I can't decipher.

It sounds like it could be 'blood' or 'bet' or something, but I don't know. :)

I thought he sang

"Your blood on me, and my blood on you

But to make you bleed, the only thing I wouldn't do"

?

thank you both :thumb_yello:

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you don't understand

why no one else can see

Put your * on me

and my * on you

To make you believe

_______

yes i think it's blood. and i'm not sure about the "put", think it's just "why no one else can see your blood on me..." - makes sense, as it's about soldiers that are suffering from their war experiences. i'm really looking forward to hear the whole text of this song, think it's a good one!

actually several of the lyrics i can hear from those snippets are so good that they give me goosebumps. heroes. popular. tool. stardust. and i'm sure there are many more lyrics treasures to discover in the full versions. :wub2:

about step with me and the deep vocal range... am i the only one who thinks they might have pitched down the chorus? :teehee:

for me this album's still 100% mika. i must admit i had my doubts when i first heard celebrate, i still find it too mainstream/commercial, though i love it live. but then i heard tool (the song) and that's 100% mika. same with underwater. and now the whole album. it's a mix, dance and ballads, electronic sounds and acoustic piano/guitar. different styles. that's typical for mika. wonderful lyrics, songs that have a message. that's also typical for mika. experimenting with different sounds. also typical. rain also has electronic sounds, same as emd, so i don't understand why someone would say that this is not like mika anymore. :dunno:

Edited by mellody

yes i think it's blood. and i'm not sure about the "put", think it's just "why no one else can see your blood on me..." - makes sense, as it's about soldiers that are suffering from their war experiences. i'm really looking forward to hear the whole text of this song, think it's a good one!

actually several of the lyrics i can hear from those snippets are so good that they give me goosebumps. heroes. popular. tool. stardust. and i'm sure there are many more lyrics treasures to discover in the full versions. :wub2:

about step with me and the deep vocal range... am i the only one who thinks they might have pitched down the chorus? :teehee:

for me this album's still 100% mika. i must admit i had my doubts when i first heard celebrate, i still find it too mainstream/commercial, though i love it live. but then i heard tool (the song) and that's 100% mika. same with underwater. and now the whole album. it's a mix, dance and ballads, electronic sounds and acoustic piano/guitar. different styles. that's typical for mika. wonderful lyrics, songs that have a message. that's also typical for mika. experimenting with different sounds. also typical. rain also has electronic sounds, same as emd, so i don't understand why someone would say that this is not like mika anymore. :dunno:

Well it's not like it just happened right now....for me at least.

I hated Kick Ass and Elle me dit and I strongly dislike Celebrate (and Make You Happy also for that matter:aah:)... hate the electronic sound and hate the autotune... Rain must be that one odd song with electronic sound that I like for some reason and can't really explain why, but the rest is just not my thing - hence why I have been gone since it started to go in that direction :aah: It's just not the kind of music that I like to listen to and great lyrics won't change that :sneaky2:

That's how I feel. I understand what Nanou says about her friends not knowing that Mika sings MYH. The production on that track really does stray from his sound although I still think it's like every other Mika song at its core. Celebrate is a bit weak but so are a few of the songs on LICM and TBWKTM so if there's disappointment about Celebrate it's because it's the lead single, not that it's a terrible song or a huge departure from his other work.

I haven't listened to all the songs so I can't judge the album on the whole, but Lola and Origin of Love and Underwater are as Mika as it gets. When I was at the gig last month it struck me that you cannot tell which era the songs are from. His live performances all blend together and I can't imagine anyone who was there thinking that TOOL and Underwater are not by the same artist who wrote and sang BIOTG and Happy Ending.

Anyway, if I had to make a adgugement by what i heard in this video I would say:

-The ones that I liked the most were Origin Of Love, Underwater (I even felt a tear in my eye), step with me (shows the lower register of him , i didnt even know he couldnt get that low) and Emily (i find this song really funny, not only because i heard the french version before and now i'm hearing the english one, but also cuz he mixes the two language in the same version. I even like this version more).

-The ones the i disliked the most (doesnt mean i hate them :thumb_yello:) were Lola (by the way "fish out of water"? Does MIKA write a verse and them distributes to several songs :naughty:) overrated (just because is too much electronic and he repeats the same word over and over again; but that's just the chorus. still have to listen to the rest of the song) and heroes (dont find it really interesting).

But were just hearing the choruses of the songs.. we still have to listen to the rest of the songs to make a "proper adgugement" :thumb_yello:

I was wondering about that too :naughty:

About step with me, I think it's too low. Same with the lowest parts of TOOL. I just don't think his voice is very pretty when he's singing that low (this is just about very lowest part of his vocal range, just above that I think his voice is lovely). I haven't put the recordings next too each other, but I think he was singing SWM a bit higher last Monday, and that sounded great.

I agree 200% with everything you said here, it´s exactly what I feel. :thumb_yello:

It's pretty difficult to understand, I know. Tbh I don't really get it myself :aah:

I love Mika's music because I find it extremely rich (I love hearing new things when I listen to a song for the 100th time :teehee:), warm and really interesting in a rythmical point of view. I just don't find those feelings anymore when listening to the new songs... :dunno:

I'm not saying it's not Mika in a general point of view. Only, that it's not the Mika I used to love according to my own personnal taste and feelings.

Well it's not like it just happened right now....for me at least.

I hated Kick Ass and Elle me dit and I strongly dislike Celebrate (and Make You Happy also for that matter:aah:)... hate the electronic sound and hate the autotune... Rain must be that one odd song with electronic sound that I like for some reason and can't really explain why, but the rest is just not my thing - hence why I have been gone since it started to go in that direction :aah:It's just not the kind of music that I like to listen to and great lyrics won't change that :sneaky2:

That's exactely how I feel!

I've always loved when he tries new sounds in his music. That's probably the reason why I loved rain, especially the live version. Then, EMD arrived and I was just wondering what he was trying to do :aah: (tbh I still don't get the success he had with this song :teehee:). As I was traveling, i did not really follow the arrival of the new songs... Now I'm back and I feel almost as if he's going too far in his experiments according to my taste :dunno:

Anyway, It's pretty difficult to explain precisely why I don't like what I've heard so far, except that it's much too electronic and that I find this type of music cold and not really interesting :dunno:

Yet, I've always loved hearing songs live and I really hope I'll get the chance to go at one of his gigs, only to figure out how I feel while listening to some of his new songs live :teehee:

And you don't understand

why no one else can see

Put your * on me

and my * on you

To make you believe

_______

Yeah, that seems more likely than my theory.

:no:

Just substitute the * by TOOL...:mf_rosetinted:

Put your * on me

and my * on you

To make you believe

:teehee::fisch:

:naughty:

I've spent the whole day hesitating about writing a comment here or not.

But I finally came to the conclusion that MFC is, as far as I'm concerned of course, a place where I can express my feelings about "mika-related" things and I terribly need to write my feelings even though I know they probably won't be shared or may be difficult to understand :blush-anim-cl:

The truth is that I am SO disappointed with this album :doh:

Of course I know I'm much more sensible to live performances and therefore still hope I'll change my mind once i'll hear some of the new songs live. And I also know I only heard a very tinny part of each song! but still... i can't help but being absolutely angry and disappointed...

Actually, there are only 2 or 3 songs worth it, according to me of course. The rest is not making any sense and I don't recognize anything I loved at first in Mika's music! This makes me sad and angry at the same time :aah:

I'm sad because I felt like I've lost something I really loved and I'm angry, on the one hand against myself for not liking those songs, and on the other hand against Mika for writing them and putting them into that electro-commercial type of music one can hear 300 times per day on the radio...

I've never been very found of electro music, but I usually have nothing against good electro songs with an interesting beat and musically interesting melodies, even though i won't buy an entire album for instance. Unfortunately, what I feel about those songs (pretty much all of them) is that this "new electro sound" is basically something I've already heard a million times and is extremely exaggerated in an attempt to prove people he is able to do something different (which is fine of course, but not when it's made without any sens or continuity with what you've done before...).

I don't like the fact that my friends don't even recognize that it IS mika singing "Celebrate" on the radio. And I don't like their face when I tell them hes the one singing this and MYH.

I've been listening to "Madness", today (It's Muse new single and I absolutely love them too). And one thing really shocked me: they've changed their way of writing music and also turned to a much more electro sound but one can still easily identify their music (at least in this song). In other words, they've built kind of a "electro-Muse" new sound which is really interesting.

I don't know if this is really clear as i'ts pretty difficult for me to explain it, but this is precisely what I miss so much in songs like MYH, Celebrate or Stardust! he's making electro music... ok, why not... but do some electro-Mika music!

I'm sorry to express such negatives feelings while you're all so happy and excited about the new album arriving soon and I totally admit it's kind of selfish. But I've been feeling this from the very first time I heard MYH, Celebrate, etc... and today I just got the confirmation of what I already thought before: I hate this.

I deeply felt the need to express it and I chose this place to do so. I hope i'ts ok :teehee:

Anyway, now that I feel released, please do enjoy that new album coming soon and have much fun at gigs! It's great to know so many people are still in the same train as he is :wink2:

I love the songs. He's trying different things and that's brave of him. Trying to look at it from his point of view. His last album didn't do half as well as the first, so this one has to be a hit if he's to continue to be a leading light in music.

With the first and 2nd albums, Mika was what I would call, "a cult star." That is to say that he had some very loyal fans, but also a lot of people called him "Mika the squeaker," and didn't give him a lot of respect. In America he wasn't even played on the radio as they didn't get his songs and found him too camp (even though I've never thought he was really camp)

After he had the writers block, which must have been very worrying, he decided to try a different tack. But tbh, it still sounds like Mika to me, even though it's more electro. I also love that he doesn't overdo the falsetto. With the beautiful lower voice he showcases on the album, no one could call him, "Mika the squeaker," again.

The thing is, some may think he's sold out, that he's lost the image of a musician who makes music for music's sake, rather than for profit. But I don't think that is the case. Mika loves all kinds of different music and a wide variety of artists. Some of those he likes, are not my cup of tea. But he does like to try different styles, maybe some songs will work for him, maybe some won't only time will tell and we haven't heard all of the songs in their entirity, on the album yet. But in the end, Mika needs to sell his music, so he has to consider the songs people are liking atm. Once he becomes an icon in music, he'll be able to pretty-much do as he likes and he'll still sell, but for now, he's got to get away from the cult image and have a massive worldwide fanbase.

I love this album, but believe me, we haven't heard the best of Mika yet. His talent and music have yet to really explode. Let this album get him played and better known in places like America, and then watch the Mika rocket take off! This is only the beginning. Please don't worry.

I'm happy I didn't wait to listen to the snippets, but mainly 'cause I was feeling so jealous of all those PR people getting copies of the album. These snippets have satisfied my urges for a while now. But it's different for everyone of course, some fans might want to wait and that's cool. But there's probably loads of spoilers in this thread so maybe you should keep out of here? :naughty:

But there's probably loads of spoilers in this thread so maybe you should keep out of here? :naughty:

I don't find anything here a spoiler. As I said earlier I don't understand the purpose of CD reviews because words can't possibly convey what something sounds like. I've avoided the song threads because I don't want to read an in depth discussion of the lyrics but it's easy to skip the lyrics that have been posted here and in any case looking at lyrics on a screen is nothing like listening to a song.

What would you think if people were talking about a song that went like this:

When it rain and rain and rain and rains

Not much a spoiler is it? :naughty:

I'm happy I didn't wait to listen to the snippets, but mainly 'cause I was feeling so jealous of all those PR people getting copies of the album. These snippets have satisfied my urges for a while now. But it's different for everyone of course, some fans might want to wait and that's cool. But there's probably loads of spoilers in this thread so maybe you should keep out of here? :naughty:

Reading comments is pretty interesting ;)

These are first impressions and they're to be changed anyway. I've been able to resist, up to now. I like to make pleasure last ;> I love suspense and surprise...

When I discovered Charlie Winston, I just knew his hit songs but never thought of listening his other songs... Fortunately, a friend of mine lent me his 1st CD and it has grown on me. "Boxes" remains for me one of the most beautiful ballad written in the past few years.

=> What I meant was that I needed time to fully enjoy Charlie's CD and though, it's now one of my favorite CD's ever.

I think it will be the same for Mika's new CD. :) The CD I really enjoy are those I took time to discover. ;)

I don't mind written spoilers about songs :naughty: Most of the posts are "I like that", "I don't like that" and "it's electronic", so everything is just fine :naughty:

I should definitely, but I can't keep myself away from this thread :naughty: