Listen to bits of Mika's album on Youtube!

mellody

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you on a Mika-diet too? :teehee:

Yep, I am ;) I don't like the idea of hearing only bits of songs... It'd deceive my first impression, I think. I feel it's like eating the cake before it's ready and... I prefer to get the cake well baked with custard on the top :P

I do wish people would quit trying to tell me that my feelings are wrong, then.

People keep asking me why I would want to avoid listening to the songs and I've given my reasoning for it. That's all. :wink2:

It's not like I'm gonna politely pass on a plate of cupcakes when I'm starving, just because something better comes up later... plenty of room for both :mf_rosetinted:

It sounds like you were disappointed when you bit into the cupcakes though. A bit overrated eh? :kaf:

For me it's not a matter of just breaking it down into separate pieces to savour one at a time in equal measure, because the experience is qualitatively different if you listen to one part of the song over and over before you hear the whole thing. In other words your leftover cake is gonna be stale in 10 days and it's not gonna taste as good. :naughty:

Stale cake? Hmm, I've heard Mika compared to many things, but never stale cake! :naughty:

Don't you taste along the way when you're baking a cake? Just a little a

bit of the batter? Lick the spoon, or the mixer's beater? For me, that's all these samples are --

just a few little morsels to give us an idea of what the finished cake is going to taste like. :dunno:

I do wish people would quit trying to tell me that my feelings are wrong, then.

I don't think anyone's telling you that you're wrong -- it just seems there

are two very distinct camps: those who want to listen to everything now,

and those who want to wait. Both options are perfectly OK! So don't

feel bad -- we've been waiting three years to have new music to talk about,

and, after all, talking about Mika and his music IS what the MFC is all about,

so if you're in the same group as me (the listening NOW group!), I say go

for it! :thumb_yello:

And speaking of stale cake... I think some of my birthday cake is still

hanging around in the fridge... I might just have to go and indulge. :fisch:

Stale cake? Hmm, I've heard Mika compared to many things, but never stale cake! :naughty:

bit of the batter? Lick the spoon, or the mixer's beater? For me, that's all these samples are --

just a few little morsels to give us an idea of what the finished cake is going to taste like. :dunno:

HELL YEAH. *hi 5's*

It sounds like you were disappointed when you bit into the cupcakes though. A bit overrated eh? :kaf:

Yeah but at least I'll be over my initial disappointment by the time I get to the real cake :mf_rosetinted: and now that I already know the cherry on top I was so looking forward to is a bit overrated, then I can just push it aside right away and dig into the cake without further disappointment :kaf:

Well I already talked about this before, just without the cake analogy. :naughty:

I've had enough of the teasers, etc. I was curious about this album 6 months ago but now I'm not because we've tasted more than enough samples to know what the finished product will be like. I am done with people teasing us. I am done with the live versions. I am done with acoustic versions. I have no interest in hearing 30 second clips that are just going to negatively affect my perception of the complete songs. I just want to enjoy listening to properly recorded songs in their entirety. I've waited 3 years for this. There is no fathomable reason why I would regret waiting another 10 days so why wouldn't I?

I think that is probably how I make all my decisions where Mika is concerned. Will I regret it if I don't? If the answer is yes, then I do it. If the answer is no, then I don't. That is the reason why I've found myself landing in LA and not even knowing whether there's actually a gig or not and that's why I'm not listening to these snippets. :naughty:

@DreamyQueen and WeAreGolden - I understand what you're saying but for me there's been enough of that already. Enough songs have leaked. There's been enough teasing. MYH is surely as electronic as it could possibly get so I think I have a reasonable sense that this is a heavily electronic album compared to the others. It's all enough. I am ready to hear the album in its entirety now (or in 2 weeks).

Everyone is making judgements about these songs but (some of) you haven't heard them yet. Your perceptions will change when you hear them in context.

So true. I really freaked out when I first heard TBWKTM and thought it was rubbish....now, on balance, I think it's a better album that LICM.

I'm not a fan of the electronic sound but the love of Mika's voice/turn of phrase will keep me listening, buying, watching and wanting more.

I just feel all nervous in my stomach that I won't like it once I've heard it all on repeat....but I'm hoping that I do.

BTW...I am officially gutted about Overrated but with you mentioning an acoustic version am still living in hope!!! :thumb_yello:

So, I've listened to it maybe 10 times in a raw!

Love many songs, but my heart bleeds listening to "Overrated", what I've they done...

(I used to like Martin Solveig, but...)

can't wait!!!

Overrated is a song that's nearly 10 years old, I thought it would have been obvious that it wouldn't be the same as the demo, More than likely Mika would have been fed up with how it was?

If you prefer the demo version, just listen to that one instead :P

Well it's not like it just happened right now....for me at least.

I hated Kick Ass and Elle me dit and I strongly dislike Celebrate (and Make You Happy also for that matter:aah:)... hate the electronic sound and hate the autotune... Rain must be that one odd song with electronic sound that I like for some reason and can't really explain why, but the rest is just not my thing - hence why I have been gone since it started to go in that direction :aah: It's just not the kind of music that I like to listen to and great lyrics won't change that

hmm, it's only about half of the songs of this album that have an electronic sound though... what about the others? of course i understand that it affects your overall rating of the album if you don't like half of the songs on it because you don't like the electronic sound. i remember saying in the past that one reason why i like mika so much is that i love almost every single song on his records. but then, there's also one song on each cd that i usually skip when listening to it. on the first it was OMS, on the 2nd by the time. on this one it *might* be overrated, but i first have to listen to the whole song to make sure i really don't like it. :teehee: i also came to like myh after several listens, because i like the "never gonna give you up" etc. part. maybe overrated also has parts that i like. :naughty: besides, i hated love today in the beginning, but now it's one of my fave mika songs. :wub2:

actually i also don't like electro music. but for me, electro as such is just beats and electronic sounds. but as soon as there's a sung melody and lyrics, i don't care which instruments are used, whether it's real ones or fake ones or electronic computer sounds. or a vegetable orchestra. :teehee: no, of course i'll like it easier/faster if also the choice of instruments pleases my ear. but still, the melody, the harmonies and the rhythm are more important to me, and if a song has a good melody that goes right into my ear, it's very likely that i'll like the song, whether i want to or not. :teehee:

but well, yeah, of course you're right that mika's sound is different on TOOL than it was on LICM. LICM reminded me of the beatles and queen, and TOOL reminds me of take that (their more recent stuff) and david guetta (stardust :teehee:). but i also like some david guetta songs, and most of take that's songs, so it's ok for me. and the most important thing is, i can still see mika's fingerprints in the songs, like i could on the first album. it wasn't beatles and queen, it was something new, "mika-ish". and also now it's not a david guetta or take that copy, but it's typically mika - that's why although of course i understand (though i don't share this opinion) that you don't like the songs, i can't understand the argument that it's not "mika-ish" anymore.

but maybe you're just trying to find reasons for yourselves *why* this album doesn't touch you like the last ones, also like nanou said - i guess i would too if it was the case, i'd have the feeling like something has been taken away from me. maybe it also helped that i saw him live this summer (don't know if you did? nibe?), i remember before lovebox (when i only knew myh and celebrate) i was worried he had changed too much but then i saw and met him and all those worries were forgotten. :fangurl::teehee:

re. the cake thing, i agree with deb... the dough can be extremely delicious. i *always* have to try it. :teehee: and the cake will just be as good. :wub2:

and to those who were wondering about the lyrics of heroes, laramay posted them a few pages ago, i think hers were correct. ;-)

Overrated is a song that's nearly 10 years old, I thought it would have been obvious that it wouldn't be the same as the demo, More than likely Mika would have been fed up with how it was?

Don't worry. I will. :wink2: For my liking it has just been changed too much. If others like the new version - good for them. Just not my cup of tea. Just like Celebrate...

Love the other songs on the album though! :mikalove: And can't wait to hear some of the songs live! :groupwave:

I love Rain too. It's funny that we tend to thing of it as an electronic song, as strings play a crucial part in it. The first couple of times I heard Rain , I didn't like it: I found it depressing and maybe 'too mika' (odd feeling). But the harmonies and violin make it really atmospheric and beautiful.

Up until the new album, some of mika's more electro songs are my favourite. The songs just make sense that way. What I hate about electronic music (although I disagree with much of it even being called music- it's horrible!)is when synthesiser sounds are more important in the song than melodies and harmonies. I also generally don't like a song when the artist's voice is distorted too (one of the reasons I don't like MYH).

I don't necessarily mind electronic music, in small quantities, when a song works out that way. For me though, the origin of love is sounding too artificial at the moment.

:thumb_yello:

hmm, it's only about half of the songs of this album that have an electronic sound though... what about the others? of course i understand that it affects your overall rating of the album if you don't like half of the songs on it because you don't like the electronic sound. i remember saying in the past that one reason why i like mika so much is that i love almost every single song on his records. but then, there's also one song on each cd that i usually skip when listening to it. on the first it was OMS, on the 2nd by the time. on this one it *might* be overrated, but i first have to listen to the whole song to make sure i really don't like it. :teehee: i also came to like myh after several listens, because i like the "never gonna give you up" etc. part. maybe overrated also has parts that i like. :naughty: besides, i hated love today in the beginning, but now it's one of my fave mika songs.

actually i also don't like electro music. but for me, electro as such is just beats and electronic sounds. but as soon as there's a sung melody and lyrics, i don't care which instruments are used, whether it's real ones or fake ones or electronic computer sounds. or a vegetable orchestra. :teehee: no, of course i'll like it easier/faster if also the choice of instruments pleases my ear. but still, the melody, the harmonies and the rhythm are more important to me, and if a song has a good melody that goes right into my ear, it's very likely that i'll like the song, whether i want to or not.

but well, yeah, of course you're right that mika's sound is different on TOOL than it was on LICM. LICM reminded me of the beatles and queen, and TOOL reminds me of take that (their more recent stuff) and david guetta (stardust :teehee:). but i also like some david guetta songs, and most of take that's songs, so it's ok for me. and the most important thing is, i can still see mika's fingerprints in the songs, like i could on the first album. it wasn't beatles and queen, it was something new, "mika-ish". and also now it's not a david guetta or take that copy, but it's typically mika - that's why although of course i understand (though i don't share this opinion) that you don't like the songs, i can't understand the argument that it's not "mika-ish" anymore.

but maybe you're just trying to find reasons for yourselves *why* this album doesn't touch you like the last ones, also like nanou said - i guess i would too if it was the case, i'd have the feeling like something has been taken away from me. maybe it also helped that i saw him live this summer (don't know if you did? nibe?), i remember before lovebox (when i only knew myh and celebrate) i was worried he had changed too much but then i saw and met him and all those worries were forgotten. :fangurl:

Yeah I know it's only half of them and I still have high hopes for the rest :naughty: There is also a chance that I'll actually like some of the electronic stuff, I do like Rain and the bit we can hear of Overrated seems to resemble Rain more than EMD for instance... so it might really not be all bad:mf_rosetinted: I think my disappointment is not as much with these snippets as it was with the songs we've heard in full and the fact that I really dislike those... had hoped the album would be very different, but when I heard the snippets they initially seemed closer to the stuff I don't like than to the stuff I like. I think I am eventually gonna appreciate some of them. Not sure if I really meant it's not Mika-ish, I guess it's just not as Mika-ish as I had hoped :aah:... with a few of these tracks you could have claimed I was listening to a sampler of the new Neo abum and I would have totally believed it :naughty::mf_rosetinted: And yeah I am wondering why I'm not reacting to this like I did to the first albums, but it might have to do with expecting waaay to much really and that's my problem and not Mika's :teehee:

Oh and nope I haven't seen anything live, been totally out of the loop for a couple of years, but I'm gonna go to the concert in Copenhagen of course :yay:

Yeah I know it's only half of them and I still have high hopes for the rest :naughty: There is also a chance that I'll actually like some of the electronic stuff, I do like Rain and the bit we can hear of Overrated seems to resemble Rain more than EMD for instance... so it might really not be all bad:mf_rosetinted: I think my disappointment is not as much with these snippets as it was with the songs we've heard in full and the fact that I really dislike those... had hoped the album would be very different, but when I heard the snippets they initially seemed closer to the stuff I don't like than to the stuff I like. I think I am eventually gonna appreciate some of them. Not sure if I really meant it's not Mika-ish, I guess it's just not as Mika-ish as I had hoped :aah:... with a few of these tracks you could have claimed I was listening to a sampler of the new Neo abum and I would have totally believed it :naughty::mf_rosetinted: And yeah I am wondering why I'm not reacting to this like I did to the first albums, but it might have to do with expecting waaay to much really and that's my problem and not Mika's :teehee:

Oh and nope I haven't seen anything live, been totally out of the loop for a couple of years, but I'm gonna go to the concert in Copenhagen of course :yay:

I'm happy you're back, one way or another!

I can understand what you mean, I felt the same, and probably I still feel like this.

But these new songs are so catchy that in the end you are totally mesmerized by them and you end liking them.

he's the usual and only :kaf:, at least with us fans :naughty:

I'm happy you're back, one way or another!

I can understand what you mean, I felt the same, and probably I still feel like this.

But these new songs are so catchy that in the end you are totally mesmerized by them and you end liking them.

he's the usual and only :kaf:, at least with us fans :naughty:

I'm thinking it's probably gonna help to hear them live :kaf: And it might not be a bad thing that I'm not as enthusiastic this time, I really can't afford to stalk him anyway :mf_rosetinted:

Wise words. I think people would at least LIKE the new version if they hadn't ever heard the demo.

This is a big problem with listening to demos. It was the same with I'm Falling.

But a demo isn't always the finished song. It's just a way of trying it out. It's unlikely that a demo is ever going to be exactly the same as the song is on the album.

I did like the demo of the song, but when I listened to the new version I just tried to think of it as a new song. I think the new version has a lot going for it, and it sounds like a great dance track.

The acoustic version will probably be a bit more like the old one, but even that will probably be different.