Listen to bits of Mika's album on Youtube!

mellody

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which means I get to experience hearing them for the first time TWICE! :aah:

No, it's not like that. Not for me anyway. That first misperception interferes with the first full listening. So you're altering the experience, not simply adding to it.

You can see this already. Tracks are varying from their live versions, from their acoustic version and even from the mixes that were played at the playback sessions and it's colouring people's experience of the song. And unless you didn't like the song much to start with, it's usually a negative effect. People get attached to what they know and come to love. Overrated is an extreme example, but I imagine you get the point.

I actually disagree :naughty: When an artist shows different type of music they can do, it shows variety. Having the same style over and over gets him boring. Not to you and me because we like that type. But the music industry, and the audience in general. Even in this album, it is very Mika. It's actually almost wrong to say what is Mika"ish" or not... My point of view :original:

Elton John always has his sounds, all of his songs are different but you reconized him. He has a long carreer and people always love his music.

What you say it is like if Rammstein make a pop music album :doh:

Mika is a pop artist not someone who normally make commercial dance and electro music, I'm sure that the songs at the piano are good but with electro it is s*** and all those boom boom give me headache (Love box festival was the Hell for me because of that :doh: ).

I think, like some of you, that you can't make your mind just by hearing the sample. A lot of Mika's songs sound really wierd on the first listening, even if it was the complete version (I was :shocked: when I heard we are golden for the first time and now it's one of my favourites..).

Just by hearing the samples, I LOVE everything. I totally recognise him in every song. It's a different style but there's always a part of what make his song special. I just can't wait to hear the full album because I know that I will just like them more.

:wub2:

(hope you'll understand someting, my english isn't perfect at all :aah:)

:thumb_yello: totally agree! I know i would change my mind about some songs when i hear them complete! When i heard the celebrate teaser i was like WTF?! And know i like it, so thats why i will abstain on doing any comments about the song yet :wink2:

It was the exact opposite for me :naughty: When I heard Celebrate sample, I loved it and thought it's gonna be an amazing song... Then we got the whole song and I was like "what? that's it? Okay... :boxed:". I think it's one of the reasons why I'm not listening to the samples now :naughty:

:swoon:

I think i listened to the sampler at least 10 times while working :naughty:

I really like most songs.... not sure about Heroes though... i don't hate it, i just need to hear more before deciding :teehee:

I think Christine is right... listening to the full album may not be as exciting... but i couldn't resist any longer!!! :excite:

Elton John always has his sounds, all of his songs are different but you reconized him. He has a long carreer and people always love his music.

What you say it is like if Rammstein make a pop music album :doh:

Mika is a pop artist not someone who normally make commercial dance and electro music, I'm sure that the songs at the piano are good but with electro it is s*** and all those boom boom give me headache (Love box festival was the Hell for me because of that :doh: ).

I can give exemples too: Coldplay used to have the same sound. They changed a little and got some new fans and got bigger. Rihanna changed her sound and got bigger. I don't expect Rammstein either to make pop, but if they turn to rock instead to heavy metal, it's not a scandal. Coldplay turned a little pop when they used to be alternative and Rihanna turned pop when she used to be R'n'B. Mika is still pop, with a new sound, he may attract new fans just like the others...

I've spent the whole day hesitating about writing a comment here or not.

But I finally came to the conclusion that MFC is, as far as I'm concerned of course, a place where I can express my feelings about "mika-related" things and I terribly need to write my feelings even though I know they probably won't be shared or may be difficult to understand :blush-anim-cl:

The truth is that I am SO disappointed with this album :doh:

Of course I know I'm much more sensible to live performances and therefore still hope I'll change my mind once i'll hear some of the new songs live. And I also know I only heard a very tinny part of each song! but still... i can't help but being absolutely angry and disappointed...

Actually, there are only 2 or 3 songs worth it, according to me of course. The rest is not making any sense and I don't recognize anything I loved at first in Mika's music! This makes me sad and angry at the same time :aah:

I'm sad because I felt like I've lost something I really loved and I'm angry, on the one hand against myself for not liking those songs, and on the other hand against Mika for writing them and putting them into that electro-commercial type of music one can hear 300 times per day on the radio...

I've never been very found of electro music, but I usually have nothing against good electro songs with an interesting beat and musically interesting melodies, even though i won't buy an entire album for instance. Unfortunately, what I feel about those songs (pretty much all of them) is that this "new electro sound" is basically something I've already heard a million times and is extremely exaggerated in an attempt to prove people he is able to do something different (which is fine of course, but not when it's made without any sens or continuity with what you've done before...).

I don't like the fact that my friends don't even recognize that it IS mika singing "Celebrate" on the radio. And I don't like their face when I tell them hes the one singing this and MYH.

I've been listening to "Madness", today (It's Muse new single and I absolutely love them too). And one thing really shocked me: they've changed their way of writing music and also turned to a much more electro sound but one can still easily identify their music (at least in this song). In other words, they've built kind of a "electro-Muse" new sound which is really interesting.

I don't know if this is really clear as i'ts pretty difficult for me to explain it, but this is precisely what I miss so much in songs like MYH, Celebrate or Stardust! he's making electro music... ok, why not... but do some electro-Mika music!

I'm sorry to express such negatives feelings while you're all so happy and excited about the new album arriving soon and I totally admit it's kind of selfish. But I've been feeling this from the very first time I heard MYH, Celebrate, etc... and today I just got the confirmation of what I already thought before: I hate this.

I deeply felt the need to express it and I chose this place to do so. I hope i'ts ok :teehee:

Anyway, now that I feel released, please do enjoy that new album coming soon and have much fun at gigs! It's great to know so many people are still in the same train as he is :wink2:

But I finally came to the conclusion that MFC is, as far as I'm concerned of course, a place where I can express my feelings about "mika-related" things and I terribly need to write my feelings even though I know they probably won't be shared or may be difficult to understand :blush-anim-cl:

Of course I know I'm much more sensible to live performances and therefore still hope I'll change my mind once i'll hear some of the new songs live. And I also know I only heard a very tinny part of each song! but still... i can't help but being absolutely angry and disappointed...

Actually, there are only 2 or 3 songs worth it, according to me of course. The rest is not making any sense and I don't recognize anything I loved at first in Mika's music! This makes me sad and angry at the same time :aah:

I'm sad because I felt like I've lost something I really loved and I'm angry, on the one hand against myself for not liking those songs, and on the other hand against Mika for writing them and putting them into that electro-commercial type of music one can hear 300 times per day on the radio...

I've never been very found of electro music, but I usually have nothing against good electro songs with an interesting beat and musically interesting melodies, even though i won't buy an entire album for instance. Unfortunately, what I feel about those songs (pretty much all of them) is that this "new electro sound" is basically something I've already heard a million times and is extremely exaggerated in an attempt to prove people he is able to do something different (which is fine of course, but not when it's made without any sens or continuity with what you've done before...).

I don't like the fact that my friends don't even recognize that it IS mika singing "Celebrate" on the radio. And I don't like their face when I tell them hes the one singing this and MYH.

I've been listening to "Madness", today (It's Muse new single and I absolutely love them too). And one thing really shocked me: they've changed their way of writing music and also turned to a much more electro sound but one can still easily identify their music (at least in this song). In other words, they've built kind of a "electro-Muse" new sound which is really interesting.

I don't know if this is really clear as i'ts pretty difficult for me to explain it, but this is precisely what I miss so much in songs like MYH, Celebrate or Stardust! he's making electro music... ok, why not... but do some electro-Mika music!

I'm sorry to express such negatives feelings while you're all so happy and excited about the new album arriving soon and I totally admit it's kind of selfish. But I've been feeling this from the very first time I heard MYH, Celebrate, etc... and today I just got the confirmation of what I already thought before: I hate this.

I deeply felt the need to express it and I chose this place to do so. I hope i'ts ok :teehee:

Anyway, now that I feel released, please do enjoy that new album coming soon and have much fun at gigs! It's great to know so many people are still in the same train as he is :wink2:

This is pretty much how I feel :thumb_yello: I only like the cover song and the one the others think sounds dated :aah: Don't like the electronic sound at all and it seems to completely dominate this album. I hope the full songs will totally prove me wrong and all, but I really feel I've lost "my" Mika :tears: Fabulous that everyone else seems to love it though :)

Yayyy :D I'm weak so I listened to them all.

The Origin Of Love - Sounds like a fun song! Should be a good one.

Lola - Really love the sound of this. It sounds amazing!

Stardust - sgdsiusdtrgjsdf. Sounds so amazing! I have high expectations for this song. This would be a good single.

Make You Happy - Good song, but we already have the full studio version so nothing really new here.

Underwater - Beautiful. Honestly, I don't think it's single material, but it's none the less an amazing track!

Overrated - Sounds brilliant from the preview! I know it's very different from the live version, but I love this one!

Kids - Not liking this tbh. Quite boring, but I'm sure the full song will grow on me.

Love You When I'm Drunk - Haha! Such a crazy song, absolutely love it!

Step With Me - Same as Kids, sounds boring but surely I'll like the full song more.

Popular Song - Aahh! I love that it samples my all time favourite musical :D. Have high hopes for this as well.

Emily - Holy ****, this is 100x times better than Elle Me Dit. This is surely going to be one of my favourites from the album!

Heroes - Lovely, sweet ballad. Sounds great, but a tad weak imo. But I think the full song will be a lot better.

Celebrate - Same as Make You Happy. Great song, but we already have the full studio version so nothing new to comment on.

Favourites: The Origin Of Love, Lola, Stardust, Underwater, Overrated, Love You When I'm Drunk, Popular Song, Emily, Celebrate

Average: Make You Happy, Heroes

Least favourites: Kids, Step With Me

Edited by Deejay

+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

It is why I explain about a music identity of an artist, but in this album where is Mika. I have the same feeling that it is commercial electro music, songs with in general no interesting melody. Some songs sounds like bad dance music of the 90's :s

It is not a question of writting thousand Lollipop but to have the artist touch that permit to recognized him. If Mika wants more public it is not a reason to distroy good songs, it is like to give your soul to the devil :doh:

I listened. Well why not :naughty: I wasn't going to, but what can I say, I'm weak. Well it's more the fact that i'm not as excited about the album as I was about the last two so the anticipation isn't as high for me anyway.

Of the "new" songs I like the sound of Kids and Step With Me. Really strong tunes.

Overrated...oh dear, what has he done to it :teehee:. Or with it. Maybe the bit we haven't heard yet will be super duper though :mf_rosetinted:

Personally I would ditch Emily and replace her with Karen :naughty: but apart maybe from Overrated, there's nothing I instantly dislike. It's going to be a good pop album that's for sure.

I've never expected Mika to do anything other than pop, it's what he does, but I dunno, maybe I was expecting something just a little more experimental or edgy within the remit of pop. This album isn't that, sadly. But I'll buy it and I'll still almost certainly go to see him on tour next year.:thumb_yello:

We're not blinded fans.. we can say what we like and what we don't like here... :wink2:

I prefer to reserve my judgement or something like that after get 1 album copy in my hands... but I think there would be some part of your opinion that I agree on at that time........

On Mika's official YT channel:

[YOUTUBE]htwXWMOAmBM[/YOUTUBE]

:fangurl:

tweeted by @alexbampton, thank you!

Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

:lmfao:

I had no illusions that I would be able to resist -- I didn't even try. And I'm so so so happy to hear this! :yay:

I hate to say it, but those of you who loved the original Overrated are

probably going to be sorely disappointed. I like it, but it's not what you

are used to hearing AT ALL. Sorry.

I didn't even bother resisting either. I saw Eloise's video of her fangurling on facebook and figured I'd better see what all the excitement is about.

My first thought with Overrated was "WTF???" :shocked:

I never was a big fan of the original, but he's made a mess of it.. it's a bit like I See You actually...

I did really like Emily though, can't wait for that one.

And as much as I don't want to admit it, I actually really like Celebrate now (I'm blaming it on the fact that they played it on the Australian Today show this morning)...

aww :group_hug:

You need to listen to the whole album and to his live songs first ; maybe you will feel different things then . You were right to express your feelings and this must be so hard and frustrating for you . :huglove: However Mika will release lots of other songs and albums and change them on stage as he always does, so I believe there's definitively hope for you sweetie :wub2:

As much as it may not sound very MIKA, i kinda like it. And I cant stand electro music, but if I like this then it's cuz there's something different here from the other electo sounds.

I dont like electro sounds cuz it's so artificial and it doesnt show your real voice and that doesnt make you a singer. I hete black eyed peas the it's all super electronic and then they go to concerts and they think they can sing but they totally cant, specially Fergie OMG!

Anyway, if I had to make a adgugement by what i heard in this video I would say:

-The ones that I liked the most were Origin Of Love, Underwater (I even felt a tear in my eye), step with me (shows the lower register of him , i didnt even know he couldnt get that low) and Emily (i find this song really funny, not only because i heard the french version before and now i'm hearing the english one, but also cuz he mixes the two language in the same version. I even like this version more).

-The ones the i disliked the most (doesnt mean i hate them :thumb_yello:) were Lola (by the way "fish out of water"? Does MIKA write a verse and them distributes to several songs :naughty:) overrated (just because is too much electronic and he repeats the same word over and over again; but that's just the chorus. still have to listen to the rest of the song) and heroes (dont find it really interesting).

But were just hearing the choruses of the songs.. we still have to listen to the rest of the songs to make a "proper adgugement" :thumb_yello:

can anybody write the lyrics of the snippet of heroes please? I probably mishear it :naughty:

I wish I could make you return

And what if I'll never discern

As you walk to the toll of the bell

You'll be fighting for a heaven with hell

And you don't understand

why no one else can see

Put your * on me

and my * on you

To make you believe

The only thing I wouldn't do

And you know heroes are meant to survive

_______

The asterisks mark words I can't decipher.

It sounds like it could be 'blood' or 'bet' or something, but I don't know. :)